Original Poetry Forums

I have a question about copywright.

07-04-2009 at 01:58:30 AM

I have a question about copywright.

Hey everyone,
I have been looking on the internet about copyrighting. I found a website for the copyright office and seen that u could fill out the forms online. My question is does the copyright office really have a website to where you can fill the forms out on there? Then I have another question about how the fee works?
I am wanting to have all my poems copyrighted so that I can have it published to make a book and I wanted to know if you had to pay the fee every time or is it a one time payment? So if anyone can help me out I would really be thankful.

Btw if you don't mind can you go and look at my poems and tell me what you think.

thanks,
sammia
grin

Last edited by sammia 07-04-2009 at 02:04:38 AM

07-04-2009 at 02:27:34 AM

Re: I have a question about copywright.

My understanding is that as long as you have signed,dated,made the mark-no $ need be paid. Now if someone claims it and uses it,makes $ off it, (plagiarism) if you haven't done what's mentioned above- you've got a problem. The fee is to make sure YOU have written it. Personally- since the works are yours,dated,signed, ect....the worry is that in Italy or somewhere,$ is made from your work-and you'll never know it. I might be wrong.....anyone? question

Last edited by mspoetris 07-04-2009 at 02:35:50 AM

07-05-2009 at 01:15:01 PM
  • KLF
  • KLF

In the U.S. your works don't have to be registered to get copyright. The point of registration and paying the fee is being able to bring suit in a court of law for infringement against someone who copies your work or derivative works without permission. Copyright registration allows you to sue for statutory damages and attorney's fees. That is the benefit of paying the fee and registering.

07-05-2009 at 01:22:53 PM

All I can say is if anyone likes one of my poems enough to call it their own, I think I would be honored by that. I truely doubt I've ever said anything that hasn't been said before or thought any new or exclusive idea's and don't know how or why I would copyright my feelings.

Poetry is not the expression of personality but an escape from personality.

T. S. Eliot (1888-1965) American-English poet and playwright.