Original Poetry Forums

The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

12-23-2009 at 02:08:35 PM

The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

I am NOT A LAWYER and have no basis to give you legal advice from this website that you can deem safe to use in a court of law. The information and links that you find below are for you to choose whether you wish to acknowledge as correct or not.
================================================================
Why do I need to protect or register the copyrights on my poems and poetry?
In this Internet age, we can all publish our work instantly and globally with a few keystrokes. Songs and poetry on MySpace, pictures on FACEBOOK...

While in theory, your poems are copyright protected the moment pen hits paper, or more recently, data hits disc, you still must be able to credibly prove when that happened...

AND YOU SHOULD ALWAYS CREATE THIS EVIDENCE BEFORE YOU PUBLISH YOUR WORK ANYWHERE!!!

HOW TO COPY RIGHT A POEM-------------------------------------

You own the copyright of anything you write, regardless of whether you register it with the U.S. Copyright Office in Washington, D.C. However, you cannot win a copyright infringement case unless your work is registered. Many publishers will copyright in your name when they accept your book for publication, but you may prefer to fill out the form and send it in before submitting your work. You can download forms from the Library of Congress at .

A Direct Link To The Libray of Congress
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl106.html

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/protect/

For more information, see Brad Templeton's A Brief Intro to Copyright.
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copyright.html

Instructions

Things You'll Need:
2 envelopes
2 postage stamps
Copy of poem
Pen
Step 1Request a copyright application by calling the U.S. Copyright Office, (202) 707-3000, or write to U.S. Copyright Office, 101 Independence Ave. S.E. Washington, D.C. 20559-6000. The forms can also be obtained at its website.

Step 2Make a photocopy of the poem you wish to copyright.

Step 3Prepare a check for a $45 payment.

Step 4Complete the copyright application.

Step 5Mail the application, a copy of your poem and the payment, to the return address specified in the copyright registration application form.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4558210_copyright-poem.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you read poetry or write poetry, you need to understand the basics of how copyrights work. A copyright protects the rights of the poet who put his or her labor into creating this work of art.

First off, a copyright exists AS SOON AS YOU CREATE YOUR WORK. There is no need to register a copyright with any office, or to label your work in any special way. You don't have to put a copyright symbol on it. Once you have finished typing your work, or putting it on your website, or however you choose to use it, it is yours and it belongs to you. You hold the copyright.

The only reason a poet would need to REGISTER the copyright is if the owner wished to file a lawsuit against someone else regarding the work. That way the rightful owner now has it on record that he or she went through the steps to prove the work belongs to him or her.

Some people believe a "poor man's coypright" exists where you mail yourself your work. This is an urban legend. You always own your own copyright. If you wish to take legal action against someone else, you have to legally file your copyright papers first. Those are really the only two situations that exist.

Works created after 1987 are owned by the author and his/her estate for a full 70 years after the author's death. Works before then started with a copyright length of 28 years from publication, and then could be renewed from anywhere from another 28 years to another 67 years, depending what year the item was published in.

A general rule of thumb is that works before 1987 were protected for around 100 years from publication date. Any old poetry published more than 100 years ago can be put onto websites and used. Since the minimum before 1987 was 28 years from publication date, any poetry written after 1975 is definitely under copyright! And pretty much anything written since 1903 is most likely still under copyright. This includes song lyrics.

Answer

Unofficially (and for just the cost of postage) you can copyright anything by putting it in a envelope, addressing it to yourself, apply postage, and send it through the mail. The next day when you receive it, DO NOT OPEN IT! It will have a post mark on it PROVING you wrote it on or before the postmark.

Another answer
In many countries a creative work is protected by copyright from the moment it is first written down. In the United States, this is also true, but you will need to register your copyright before you can effectively enforce it. In fact, there are other valuable reasons to register it immediately after you first publish it. There are simple forms to file and moderate fees involved, so you should consider registration for any valuable works.

Sending yourself a copy in the mail (unlike registration) does not notify the world of your ownership so that people can contact you for a distribution license or commission additional works. grin

**I would also , add a hair from your head in there, and get your fingerprints all over it.
Also scotch tape all corners.**

Here is a link that describes this process in great detail:
http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/
USING COPYSCAPE:

Copyscape is dedicated to protecting your valuable content online. We provide the world's most powerful and most popular online plagiarism detection solutions, ranked #1 by independent tests. Copyscape's products are trusted by millions of website owners worldwide to check the originality of their new content, prevent duplicate content, and search for copies of existing content online.
Copyscape provides a free service for finding copies of your web pages online, as well as two more powerful professional solutions for preventing content theft and content fraud:

HERE IS THE LINK:
http://copyscape.com/
USING TURN IT IN

Turnitin’s Originality Checking ensures originality, as well as use of proper citation.

http://turnitin.com
OTHER METHODS OF EVIDENCE

This is the most important:
Handwriting identification is based on the principle that, while handwriting within a language tends to be alike to the degree that we can meaningfully read it, there are individual features that distinguish one person's writing from that of another.

So Keep your Poems in a journal, and in a safe place...

http://www.safde.org/whatwedo.htm

1. SAVE TO DISC/FLOPPY/EXTERNAL DRIVE

There is a date on files saved, so keep a copy

2. POST POEMS WITH SAME NAME ON OTHER SITES
Get the words out

3. CREATE A VIDEO WITH BUYING A NEW NEWSPAPER(LOL)

4. LOCAL IN YOUR AREA GET YOUR SELF KNOWN AS A POET
Have lots and lots of Character witnesses

5. HIDE YOUR POEMS IN ATTICS WITH YOUR NAME & DATE ON IT
This will cause arguements for people in the future that have nothing better to do

6. JURASIC PARK METHOD
Embed your poem is sapp
COPYRIGHT IN A COLLABORITIVE AGE

http://journal.media-culture.org.au/0605/02-charmanholloway.php

http://mako.cc/projects/collablit/writing/BenjMakoHill-CollabLit_and_Control/legal.html
WHAT IS PLAGIARISM?
Many people think of plagiarism as copying another's work, or borrowing someone else's original ideas. But terms like "copying" and "borrowing" can disguise the seriousness of the offense:

According to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, to "plagiarize" means
to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
to use (another's production) without crediting the source
to commit literary theft
to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.
In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

But can words and ideas really be stolen?
According to U.S. law, the answer is yes. The expression of original ideas is considered intellectual property, and is protected by copyright laws, just like original inventions. Almost all forms of expression fall under copyright protection as long as they are recorded in some way (such as a book or a computer file).

All of the following are considered plagiarism:
turning in someone else's work as your own
copying words or ideas from someone else without giving credit
failing to put a quotation in quotation marks
giving incorrect information about the source of a quotation
changing words but copying the sentence structure of a source without giving credit
copying so many words or ideas from a source that it makes up the majority of your work, whether you give credit or not (see our section on "fair use" rules)

All of this info is from:
http://www.plagiarism.org
===============================================================
WHAT IS A CENTO?
Latin centō, patchwork.
In poetry, a cento is a work wholly composed of verses or passages taken from other authors; only disposed in a new form or order.
But credits are do to the original author.

Are YOU infringing copyright?
Remember: falling foul of thievery will probably never happen to you. If it does, it will probably be small scale and you will hopefully be able to sort it out without too much trouble. It may even be an accident or just an act of absent-mindedness on the part of the “thief” – which is why you need to be careful, too – it’s very easy to infringe on the copyright of others without even realising it.
Make sure that whenever you quote someone’s poem or use someone’s picture, you credit them. A great many bloggers trawl other sites to find cool photos, anecdotes, links or even poems to accompany their articles, but if you do this, you should always, always, always link back to the artist’s own page. Most people will be cool with you linking to them and displaying their work with the correct credits - it’s publicity after all! However, you should always ask their permission, because there might be reasons why they don’t want their poems to go beyond their personal site.

http://www.readthismagazine.co.uk/onenightstanzas/?p=47
MESSAGES FROM OUR OWN ON THE SUBJECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapaczki

Ok, to get us going... we had some suggestions:

1. Limiting copy/paste within the site. There are pros and cons to that. Cons being that you have to type everything into the web site. This isn't a bad thing, but not always ideal. Some poems are very long, and too type them twice would be quite an under taking. Pros would be obviously they can't copy/paste another person's work. Maybe somewhere there is a balance to this.

2. If you see a poem that is plagirized, click on the Flag Poem link, and enter a short report. We'll get it, and take care of the situation.

3. Please remember never to take the law into your own hands. Always contact support (or myself directly) and we'll help you handle the process properly from an ethical and legal stand point.

Ok, I saw a lot of emotion. Let's see some of it turned into ways to help protect everyone.

-Papa Paczki snake

COPYRIGHT SYMBOL INSTRUCTIONS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

For MAC users: hold down the "option" key then press "G": ? and there you have it! ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix9

For all those who may be looking as to how to put a copy right symbol on there work I found a easy way to do it and the only legal form of the symbol that is recognized. all you have to do is hold down the ALT key and on the number pad on the right of your keyboard type in 0169 and the symbol will appear, this works for windows. ie; ? wow nifty, hope this helps some. Rick (PHOENIX) wink tongue wink cool cheese excaim

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcourier

I really imagine that a "poet" could post a couple hundred poems from well known poets that were included in a published anthology and no one here would probably know the difference.

It is possible to post several poems by william carlos williams, or Dylan Thomas, or Vachael lindsey or our own National poet laureate....who was that? or any of a few thousand lesser known minor poets and no one would know the difference. Poor Vachael wandered all over the country performing his poetry in the streets, trying to get a new poetry form going (think rap in the 19th century) but he never rally gained much for his efforts.

Personally, I would hate for them to copy and plagarize my poems cause they would probably gain lots of fame and fortune, loud accolades and probably bucketloads of cash that they could wave around in my face and put me down making me feel oh so browbeaten! Money and fame that could havebeen mine! Dammit, i could have been a contender! LOL

I think it is safe to say that for the majority noone really wants to plagarize your poetry....and if they do, they probably won't get anything out of it....and if they do (which is highly unlikely) you could feel slightly uplifted that you were so honored.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12-28-2009 at 04:12:10 PM

Re: The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

Thank you for your ongoing effort on this, WordSlinger. I've made this a sticky so its always at the top of this forum.

-Papa Paczki shock

12-29-2009 at 01:27:49 AM

Re: The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

Thanks John for being so doggone helpful! Wow, this post answered so many of my copyright questions!*smile* You are like a big brother, always looking out for everybodies best interest!-and you are always right there to always help me, with anything I need done...sometimes even before I ask! LOL! You are a total asset to this online poetry community. All your contributions and innovative ideas, are one of the reasons why we are more then just another writing community, but a poetry family! I am so proud to have you in my life!
~Maddi

Last edited by Madelynn 12-29-2009 at 01:29:04 AM

12-29-2009 at 12:46:14 PM

RE: The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

amen, sister Maddi! WS, this is fantastic ... great, classic info, presented so articulately ... i'm gonna use the "sap" method, i think, myself, lol ... and ty Papa for the re-vamped site and linking this thread to fb! holy cats, is the web thickening, or what?
-dancinghawk-LOL

12-29-2009 at 02:36:16 PM

Thanks, WS for this great info and Papa for your vigilance. Perhaps a good definition of what plagiarism is could be posted here also. Some people seem to think it is okay to use another poet's poem as an outline, make it more wordy and call it their own. A poet who does such a thing should realize it is an insult to his own creativity; or admitting the lack thereof.

12-29-2009 at 06:26:58 PM

Pac, here's an idea, A Poem Bank, a Poet can send to an account in email, showing a sent date to the account, like a deposit, and when they need to use it for proof, an OP clerk, can verify their poem, poems written before the Bank opening, and subject to the current laws...
I think it is modern. Also it may need to be a Intranet not the Internet
What are your opinions on a Poem Bank?

John E WordSlinger

Last edited by WordSlinger 12-29-2009 at 06:28:48 PM

12-29-2009 at 07:12:49 PM

Poets here are using WordSlinger in their tags, is that PLAGIARISM??

or is it like Lightcourier said makes them a contender??

lol

WS

12-29-2009 at 07:43:10 PM

heavy ...
@aria ... i had no idea people might do that ... but i suppose it's absolutely ... well, possible ... and even ... unconscious, at least occasionally ... as i know we must be affected by each others' work ... but ... if you have experienced something so blatant as what you describe, i DO hope you've reported that incident to someone official! i suppose ... if you wanted to be "humorous" about it and engage a larger poet community ... you might post your poem (dated) side by side with the other (dated), and have a sort of contest for the poet who can identify the most similarities!! lol ... that might be fun ... and i hope, a clear message to whomever wrote the blatant copy ... or clear up a misunderstanding if it's different enough? i would participate if you decided to create such a post ...

@WS, a Poem Bank! i love that idea for OP ... you know, if OP charged $1 to "register" the poem, they might have $87,000 to work with now, lol ... don't know why i keep trying to make OP make money, i must be a mercenary at heart ... i guess i just don't want to see it go away, and i can't imagine paying to be a member, but i CAN imagine paying for services ... like registering poems in a poem bank, or selling chapbooks, or linking to sales for other books, as is being done ... anyway ... i know at some point, services can't all be volunteer, holy cats ... but then, WS, maybe YOU could be the Poem Bank, and I could be the Chapbook Lady! lol ... we'll advertise ourselves on OP ... hi-larious ...

ahhhhh, not enough work at work today ... my mind is monkeying around for sure ...

ty for letting me share whatever off the top of my head in reaction to your thoughtful comments ...

-dancinghawk-

12-29-2009 at 07:48:43 PM

Ok it's copyrighted here as a post, that I had the first idea of apoem bank. so I' am now head banker, lol, well lets do it, I just want to help the needy, homeless, the hungry, and feed my kids.yes together we can make a difference.

ty

12-30-2009 at 10:29:33 PM

RE: RE: The Poets Briefcase/Poem Evidence LAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dancinghawk"

heavy ...
@aria ... i had no idea people might do that ... but i suppose it's absolutely ... well, possible ... and even ... unconscious, at least occasionally ... as i know we must be affected by each others' work ... but ... if you have experienced something so blatant as what you describe, i DO hope you've reported that incident to someone official! i suppose ... if you wanted to be "humorous" about it and engage a larger poet community ... you might post your poem (dated) side by side with the other (dated), and have a sort of contest for the poet who can identify the most similarities!! lol ... that might be fun ... and i hope, a clear message to whomever wrote the blatant copy ... or clear up a misunderstanding if it's different enough? i would participate if you decided to create such a post ...

@WS, a Poem Bank! i love that idea for OP ... you know, if OP charged $1 to "register" the poem, they might have $87,000 to work with now, lol ... don't know why i keep trying to make OP make money, i must be a mercenary at heart ... i guess i just don't want to see it go away, and i can't imagine paying to be a member, but i CAN imagine paying for services ... like registering poems in a poem bank, or selling chapbooks, or linking to sales for other books, as is being done ... anyway ... i know at some point, services can't all be volunteer, holy cats ... but then, WS, maybe YOU could be the Poem Bank, and I could be the Chapbook Lady! lol ... we'll advertise ourselves on OP ... hi-larious ...

ahhhhh, not enough work at work today ... my mind is monkeying around for sure ...

ty for letting me share whatever off the top of my head in reaction to your thoughtful comments ...

-dancinghawk-

Yes, WS and Dancer, the bank is a great idea for this site and I, for one, would be happy to pay $1.00 for each poem deposited.

I will be happy to post my poem that I feel has been plagiarized here on the forum if the person who used it is also willing to post. I only have the rough draft and not the finished poem which was posted here on OP. I was stupid and didn't have a copy saved when my computer crashed. Let that be a lesson to us all! I have asked the "powers who be" in charge of OP if they have it but so far have not had a response...of course, I understand with the new (and may I add very nice!) site, they obviously have more important things to do.

12-30-2009 at 10:31:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "WordSlinger"

Poets here are using WordSlinger in their tags, is that PLAGIARISM??

or is it like Lightcourier said makes them a contender??

lol

WS

Word, You are so popular that Wordslinger is in the choice of tags when a poem is submitted. LOL!

Aria

12-31-2009 at 06:41:11 PM

The Poem Bank,
ok one main reason for a poem bank is it gives reconition to the Poet forever.
The Libray of Congess is the largest Poem bank there will be, but a Poem bank
is also needed.
As an anology, The Poem~ Footprints is an author unknown.
Would you want that to happen to your poetry?
I don't.
This is the biggest question and concern I have?
Say me, If I post all of my Poems here,and I pass away, will this site,
and my fellow Poets, take care of my work, keep all to my name?
So I also speak for everyone?
I guess each Poet will have a different opinion.
What I'm saying is the Power of Attorney.
Do we need one here to work with all Poets that post?
Poets I ask you to help me with this concern?
Your thoughts and direction is needed?

Happy New Year,

John E WordSlinger

01-09-2010 at 11:24:51 AM

Ahhhh, one of the most important posts I have ever seen posted in the forum. Thank you for the information you have provided other poets on copyrights, ws. Nobody, wants to see their work taken from them. I'll admit when I first began copyrighting my work I found the government site very confusing, after a few times on it though, for any others who have had issues navigating it, it does become easier with each use. For me, personally, I always try to get the most bang for my buck. I agree with, ws, it is important to copyright prior to publishing on-line, although I'll admit there are a few times when I was anxious to get my writing read, that I did not do so, til after the fact. Anyways, what I appreciate, is that you can do numerous works at once, whether you submit 1 or 50, it's still the $35.00...so I often try and register as many as possible within the same setting, to get the most for my money. Thank you for putting the information in such a valuable spot, ws! smile

01-14-2010 at 05:22:50 PM

Attributing a Title of a Poem from a Poet/Fair Use

Attributing a title of a Poem from a Poet/Fair Use
A lot depends upon whether you use an exact title, and if you do, how did you do it.
If you are simply "taking inspiration" from the original title,
and aren't using the whole, you don't need any special permission.
It's appropriate to cite the author and the title of the poem, however.
If you are using the title, there are a few rules that apply.
It is lawful to use a short quote from the title without obtaining permission.
According to Writer's Digest, quoting "under 10 percent" of the original title is well within the law;
to quote "above 20 percent" puts you at "high risk" for being accused of copyright infringement.
("A Writer's Guide To Fair Use in Copyright Law," by Howard Zaharoff, Writer's Digest)
Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:
The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
The nature of the copyrighted work
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work

Copyright protects the particular way an author has expressed herself or himself.
It does not extend to any ideas, systems, or factual information conveyed in the work.
The safest course is always to get permission from the copyright owner before using copyrighted material. The Copyright Office cannot give this permission.
When it is impracticable to obtain permission, use of copyrighted material should be avoided unless the doctrine of fair use would clearly apply to the situation. The Copyright Office can neither determine if a certain use may be considered fair nor advise on possible copyright violations. If there is any doubt, it is advisable to consult an attorney.
----------------------------------------------
How do I get permission to use somebody else's work?
How can I find out who owns a copyright?
How can I obtain copies of someone else's work and/or registration certificate?
How much of someone else's work can I use without getting permission?
How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?
Somebody infringed my copyright. What can I do?

Answers to these questions can be found here:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-fairuse.html

John E WordSlinger

01-14-2010 at 05:56:35 PM

@ws ... i wouldn't say we need a power of atty with "all poets that post" ... but ... i like your thinking about "if i were suddenly gone, what would happen to my work here?" ... makes me think ... more along the lines of "insurance" ... e.g. mamasan has been AWOL since Dec 4, and i would love it if she'd had some "insurance" that would protect her work and still allow it to be accessed into the future ...

and more great info ... ty for continuing to post your research here!! very interesting and useful ...

-dh

01-14-2010 at 05:57:42 PM

oh! and @charlie23! ty for sharing your copyrighting experience!! very useful ...
-dh

01-14-2010 at 06:47:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dancinghawk"

@ws ... i wouldn't say we need a power of atty with "all poets that post" ... but ... i like your thinking about "if i were suddenly gone, what would happen to my work here?" ... makes me think ... more along the lines of "insurance" ... e.g. mamasan has been AWOL since Dec 4, and i would love it if she'd had some "insurance" that would protect her work and still allow it to be accessed into the future ...

and more great info ... ty for continuing to post your research here!! very interesting and useful ...

-dh

DancingHawk, yes this a subject, that I'm working on for us, this will be something
we all will face. As of now and always as like the word of mouth.
It is up to us, to protect each other.
That's why I came up with the Poem Bank, thank you for your reply.
John E WordSlinger

01-14-2010 at 07:21:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aria"

Thanks, WS for this great info and Papa for your vigilance. Perhaps a good definition of what plagiarism is could be posted here also. Some people seem to think it is okay to use another poet's poem as an outline, make it more wordy and call it their own. A poet who does such a thing should realize it is an insult to his own creativity; or admitting the lack thereof.

I think each poet has their own style about themselves, while I don't use other poets poems as an outline, I do often outline the topic or if from the bible, the chapters that I will be using in my poem prior to starting writing. I think when people come up with similer poems it is at times a coincidence, yes I'm sure at times there is plagiarism all the more reason to protect your work if your gonna put ol.

Sometimes I think I'm doing something, oh so original, only to read others and see I'm not nearly as original as I once thought.

05-24-2010 at 11:31:31 PM

Here is a new toy for you to enjoy:

http://copygator.com/

05-29-2010 at 09:07:12 AM

Fight For Yours Rights, By Learning the Types of Plagarism

Plagiarism is derived from two Latin words; plagiarius which means an abductor, and plagiare which means to steal. According to Random House Compact Unabridged Dictionary, plagiarism is defined as "use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work." It is also considered as violation of scholarly ethics and intellectual property by many academicians.

Different Types of Plagiarism

Academic and journalistic plagiarism is an age old practice. However, Internet plagiarism is now rampant with the advent of the Internet, and plagiarism has taken many new forms. Now it is just about cut, copy, and paste, or a little rephrasing. But copy it is!

Full Plagiarism: Content that has been presented as own, without any changes made to the language, thoughts, flow, and even punctuation is known as full plagiarism. Many academicians believe that is generally the work of people who are incompetent in the particular subject, or are just plain lazy to make an effort.

Partial Plagiarism: When the presented content is a combination of two to three different sources, where the use of rephrasing and synonyms is rampant, then it is known as partial plagiarism. Here, the author uses some originality, but inadequacy of knowledge on the particular subject is a common reason for the occurrences of partial plagiarism.

Minimalistic Plagiarism: Here, the plagiarist authors someone else concept, ideas, thought, or opinions in their own words and in a different flow. Although many do not regard this as plagiarism (probably the one's who do it!), it is considered as stealing someones study or thoughts. Minimalistic plagiarism involves a lot of paraphrasing.

Source Citation: When complete source information with quotes is provided, it does not amount to plagiarism. However, the definition of a complete source citation varies vastly. Some writers quote the source's name, but give no other accessible information. While some conveniently give false references, some just merge their information with an original piece of writing. A ghost writer is a perfect example of a plagiarist. Here the writer feels free to source information and reproduce it as their own.

Self-plagiarism: This form of plagiarism is perhaps most contested as "it is " and "is not". Using one's own work, fully or partially, or even the same thought and re-writing it, is known as self-plagiarism by many. Publishing the same material through different mediums without referencing it correctly is a very common habit among many writers. The content on many websites are perfect examples of self-plagiarism.

According to professor Paul Brian's opinion posted on the Internet Humanist Forum, "self-plagiarism, or the recycling of an old work in a new guise is also a theft since the author leads the book-buyer to think that there is a new book of his on the market. The author is misleading his/her readers." "Self-plagiarism is fraud if not outright theft".

Plagiarism is a personal ethical issue. Knowing what it is, and learning ways to not only detect and prevent plagiarized content, but also how self-plagiarism happens will a go a long way in promoting and preserving authenticity and originality.

BY:Loveleena Rajeev
Source:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/different-types-of-plagiarism.html

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

More-

1."The Ghost Writer"
The writer turns in another's work, word-for-word, as his or her own.
2."The Photocopy"
The writer copies significant portions of text straight from a single source, without alteration.
3."The Potluck Paper"
The writer tries to disguise plagiarism by copying from several different sources, tweaking the sentences to make them fit together while retaining most of the original phrasing.
4."The Poor Disguise"
Although the writer has retained the essential content of the source, he or she has altered the paper's appearance slightly by changing key words and phrases.
5."The Labor of Laziness"
The writer takes the time to paraphrase most of the paper from other sources and make it all fit together, instead of spending the same effort on original work.
6."The Self-Stealer"
The writer "borrows" generously from his or her previous work, violating policies concerning the expectation of originality adopted by most academic institutions.
Sources Cited (But Still Plagiarized)
1."The Forgotten Footnote"
The writer mentions an author's name for a source, but neglects to include specific information on the location of the material referenced. This often masks other forms of plagiarism by obscuring source locations.
2."The Misinformer"
The writer provides inaccurate information regarding the sources, making it impossible to find them.
3."The Too-Perfect Paraphrase"
The writer properly cites a source, but neglects to put in quotation marks text that has been copied word-for-word, or close to it. Although attributing the basic ideas to the source, the writer is falsely claiming original presentation and interpretation of the information.
4."The Resourceful Citer"
The writer properly cites all sources, paraphrasing and using quotations appropriately. The catch? The paper contains almost no original work! It is sometimes difficult to spot this form of plagiarism because it looks like any other well-researched document.
5."The Perfect Crime"
Well, we all know it doesn't exist. In this case, the writer properly quotes and cites sources in some places, but goes on to paraphrase other arguments from those sources without citation. This way, the writer tries to pass off the paraphrased material as his or her own analysis of the cited material.

Source:
http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_article_types_of_plagiarism.html

There are many more: I just searched these for our education:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=types+of+palagarism&aq=o&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=C0BzrsQQBTLGkIKDSgwSb6py5CAAAAKoEBU_Qd7bo&fp=1df4639b9e375fe6

05-29-2010 at 09:17:51 AM

A Poets Siren

I have noticed a lot of modern barbarism.
Sirens go off, meaning people/poets pm telling me what they find.
Then I ask them is your poem copyrighted?
If so then don't worry about it, but there is something to worry about,
and that is who came up with the original idea first..
Some times, things are coincidence, but still awareness needs to be known.
Before I go, and point anyway word swords, I want to state that my stuff is copyrighted, in all forms known in the above knowledge.
So I want to advise you to copy right your work, you have to.
There are thousands of non-OP, subscribers reading your work.
Learning, and taking from us. So please copy-right your work.
Now I have been influenced, by Madelynn, RHPeat, Dahlusion ( he even has said that I used his format, into which is possible, because his work is like a tattoo, it sticks with you, great work, so that's why you have to be careful, of what you write as well, furthermore that's the magic of a good poet), and many more on here.
=-=-=-=-=
Ok here is my deal, it's no biggy, because I fly right, and have proof.
But I just want to show you, how my sirens work, and swift they are:
My Poem. Maddi's Grin, was posted on WS1, for a night, twice by the way.
But I took it down, for heartfelt reasons, but I posted it back up,
just to prove my point.
http://www.originalpoetry.com/maddis-grin
But, it's posted on my second id here:
You have to scroll down
it's near the bottom
http://www.originalpoetry.com/shine-my-love-shine
and it's on other websites:, and it sits, on the Library of Congress shelf,
and better yet, my Shelf-Jurrasic Park Style.

The poem is posted for you to read, so you tell me what you think?

This to me is Minimalistic Plagiarism: as discribed above or ."The Potluck Paper"
I’ll let you decide
http://www.originalpoetry.com/softkisses

Quote:

Last edited by WordSlinger 05-31-2010 at 11:18:07 PM

05-31-2010 at 12:35:32 PM

I' am coining the term Mosquitoe Writers to Plagarisists. (Mosquitoes)
A Poets' Voice' ~~~all in favor Say Word"""""

05-02-2023 at 06:42:30 AM

Buy Fake USD Online ($) WHATSAPP : +1(725) 867-9567 , Buy Fake Canadian Dollar (CAD) WHATSAPP : +1(725) 867-9567 , Buy Xanax Online WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272, Buy Nembutal Online WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272, buy aderall onlne WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272, buy pills online WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272
Buy Fake Euros Online (EUR) WHATSAPP : +1(725) 867-9567, Buy Codeine Sulfate online , Buy Subutex online , Buy Anxiety Tablets, Buy Pain Relief Medications , BuyMUSHROOMS online . Buy Crystal Methamphetamine online

WHATSAPP : +1(725) 867-9567
WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272
Wickr ID: Scottbowers
Telegram : @Scottbowers12

Buy fake US dollar – USD https://counterfeitdocs24hrs.com/buy-us-dollar-usd/
Buy fake Canadian Dollar – CAD
https://counterfeitdocs24hrs.com/buy-canadian-dollar-cad/
Buy Nembutal Online -
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-nembutal-online/
Buy anxiety pills online - https://buyqualitybills.com/product/buy-xanax-online/
Buy MUSHROOMS online -
https://buyqualitybills.com/prodauct-category/buy-mushrooms-online/
Buy Pain Relief Medications -
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-pain-relief-medications/
Buy anxiety pills online -
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-anxiety-pills-online/

https://buyqualitybills.com/buy-canadian-dollars-cad/
https://buyqualitybills.com/buy-united-states-dollars-usd/
https://buyqualitybills.com/buy-euros-eur/
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-nembutal-online/
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-mushrooms-online/
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-pain-relief-medications/
https://buyqualitybills.com/product-category/buy-anxiety-pills-online/

WHATSAPP : +1(725) 867-9567
WHATSAPP :+237679764591
WHATSAPP : +1(318) 406-1272
Telegram : @Scottbowers12
Wickr ID: Scottbowers

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.