Original Poetry Forums

Display Problems

01-04-2010 at 09:41:08 AM

Display Problems

Since we've gone on a few tangents, I've decided to conslidate them into two threads. One for display issues, one for functional issues. I'll keep this editted and up to date with issues to put on the list. Also, as far as styling/design issues. Please do not bash. Just give constructive feedback. Ideas, suggestions. We do listen.

1. Text too light -- we're going to darken this up. *DONE*
2. Poem Formatting not being preserved.
3. Trophy icons aren't showing in poem list.

-Papa Paczki shock

Last edited by papapaczki 01-04-2010 at 11:13:45 AM

01-04-2010 at 10:47:42 AM

RE: Display Problems

We just darkened up the text. You may have to clear your browser cache to notice.
If you use Firefox hit Ctrl+Shift+R to reload the new changes while on this site.
If anyone notices other areas that need to be darkened up please let us know.

Thanks.

Last edited by clips401 01-04-2010 at 01:18:18 PM

01-04-2010 at 01:04:06 PM

I have done everything you have asked and still I am plagued with light gray, bland, ghost-like text causing me to strain and squint on both of my MACS — laptop and desktop

Shouldn't the text be black?

My feeling is that designing anything with a back-lit RGB screen should never be gray (especially light gray) on white.

I would remove everything that is gray on white across the board; even this gray on light pink is not restful for the eyes.

HELPohh

01-04-2010 at 01:15:12 PM

I just did another reload and I am still typing in light gray, though, when I log out and come back to Forum to review my thread, it displays in black type. Also, I am feeling that the font style may want to change to something not so tightly knitted together.smile

01-05-2010 at 07:40:47 PM

Ok, I know this is desplay problems, but I figured, best place to put my little suggestion. I like the script background, I believe it softens it up a little. Makes it a little more casual rather than corporate-looking, you know? Actually, if you can use script for other things on this site, I think that'd be pretty darn cool.
ANYHOW, my suggestion is, instead of it fading to gray as it goes left, have it just continue on, so that we see the script on both sides. I did a little test of my own(I love Paint), and I found it made it looks better. It's softer.
Well, that's my little suggestion for now, don't be surprised if I give you more... I love webdesign, so I'll end up thinking about it a lot. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it would be cool if you used script for some other things on the site. Just saying.
That's all for now.
Síochán!
,Super

Last edited by SuperChick76 01-06-2010 at 09:05:59 PM

01-06-2010 at 11:30:37 AM

RE: RE: Display Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by "SuperChick76"

Ok, I know this is desplay problems, but I figured, best place to put my little suggestion. I like the script background, I believe it softens it up a little. Makes it a little more casual rather than corporate-looking, you know? Actually, if you can use script for other things on this site, I think that'd be pretty darn cool.
ANYHOW, my suggestion is, instead of it fading to gray as it goes left, have it just continue on, so that we see the script on both sides. I did a little test of my own(I love Paint), and I found it made it looks better. It's softer.
Well, that's my little suggestion for now, don't be surprised if I give you more... I love webdesign, so I'll end up thinking about it a lot. Actually, now that I think about it, I think it would be cool if you used script for some other things on the site. Just saying.
That's all for now.
Síochán!
,Super

Thank you for your suggestion. We will take your comment into consideration in future improvements/updates.

smile

01-11-2010 at 02:34:34 PM

In regards to display problems, I was wondering what happened to the wingdings font. It worked correctly this morning, when I entered my poem, but then found I had to remove my poem a few hours later cause it had been changed to a plain text. The text was the best part of the poem, bummer! I was very excited about it when I entered it this morning, and it looks very stupid in plain text, not at all what I had intended. angry j/k about the angry face guy, but when that font has been fixed will you please let me know, so I can add my poem back.

Last edited by Charlie23 01-11-2010 at 02:35:53 PM

01-11-2010 at 04:32:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Charlie23"

In regards to display problems, I was wondering what happened to the wingdings font. It worked correctly this morning, when I entered my poem, but then found I had to remove my poem a few hours later cause it had been changed to a plain text. The text was the best part of the poem, bummer! I was very excited about it when I entered it this morning, and it looks very stupid in plain text, not at all what I had intended. angry j/k about the angry face guy, but when that font has been fixed will you please let me know, so I can add my poem back.

http://www.originalpoetry.com/wingdings-poem

Hi Charlie23, I created a test poem using the font wingdings and it is appearing. In order for it appear you will need to have wingdings activated on your computer. Are you by chance writing your poem in Word and then copy and pasting into the poem submit form? Because wingdings is a Microsoft font, it will not view as intended by anyone using a Mac or Linux machine. Best bet would be to use the characters found in "web safe fonts". http://www.fonttester.com/web_safe_fonts.html

Let me know if you need more help.

01-11-2010 at 04:51:13 PM

Expanding a bit on the wingdings, which sounds like a good dinner, it looks like this font is only available to Internet Explorer. Firefox and the other Mozilla browsers don't scan the OS for the fonts, they use their own. IE scans the OS. We're working on something for this. We'll be back in touch.

-Papa Paczki shock

01-11-2010 at 11:59:03 PM

Thank you both, letter press and papa, for the information. Makes sense what happened now, I was using firefox in the morning, and internet explorer when I returned...didn't realize that made a difference, and have added my poem back with an explanation now that I know. Thanks again for the help.smile

01-12-2010 at 09:32:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Marsink"

That said, readers who have been on the Poetry Survivor Rules forum, have not been able to link to my page where the poem is.

When you say they can't link to your page, what is happening? Are they getting a specific error?

-Papa Paczki shock

01-14-2010 at 01:46:29 PM

another user of the site had mentioned to me that they are unable to open my poems, but can only see the titles, has anybody else had this problem or by chance know what could be causing it?

01-24-2010 at 11:30:15 PM

What can you do if you just completed a poem that you wrote, and when you went to submit it so it can be posted up you recieved an error from the site saying that there was an error but they have contacted themselves to fix the problem?

This just happened to me and now my poem is lost. It was a well written poem and i have no way of retrieving it.

01-25-2010 at 12:00:49 PM

I hope that you didn't write on this site, King, but also have it saved in another area of you computer such as word. The very first poem I ever wrote here entitled "where's my freedom" had the same issue, and I was informed by another user here that there was not a way to retrieve back at that time and to always save in your documents and paste to this site. I hope you will be able to retrieve as I know how disappointing it is to lose a piece.

01-25-2010 at 12:12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING

What can you do if you just completed a poem that you wrote, and when you went to submit it so it can be posted up you recieved an error from the site saying that there was an error but they have contacted themselves to fix the problem?

This just happened to me and now my poem is lost. It was a well written poem and i have no way of retrieving it.

We are deeply sorry about this downer

When submitting a poem there are a magnitude of things that have to happen smoothly both on the users computer but also on our servers.

It is probably a good practice to keep your poems in a separate area on a computer. You never know what could happen! For example your internet connection could suddenly skip a beat causing your poem to not be properly submitted.

What I can also tell you is that we a re working hard to keep these kinds of problems down to a minimum. When an error does occur it is sent to our engineers to look at fix for same type problems.

Thank you

01-25-2010 at 12:59:11 PM

Im aware that i could have saved the piece to the computer beforehand, i should have just pressed control copy.... the truth is when i pressed submit i didnt think what happened to my piece would happen. How was i to know that when i pressed sumbit my work would dissapear as opposed to show up like it is supposed to.

What irritates me the most is that it was a brand new piece of work. Do i have the talent and ability to create another one? Of course i do, but anyone who is a true artist understnads that the redo of a piece of work is never, ever like the the original, no matter what you do to it. But that is far from the point. (@Charlie23, this answers your question, i did indeed write on here)

At the time i thought my work would post up and if you press submit on a finished piece you expect to see your work show up. Simple as that.

I do thank those that have repsonded to the issue at least.

Last edited by KING 01-25-2010 at 01:09:09 PM

01-25-2010 at 02:42:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KING

Im aware that i could have saved the piece to the computer beforehand, i should have just pressed control copy.... the truth is when i pressed submit i didnt think what happened to my piece would happen. How was i to know that when i pressed sumbit my work would dissapear as opposed to show up like it is supposed to.

What irritates me the most is that it was a brand new piece of work. Do i have the talent and ability to create another one? Of course i do, but anyone who is a true artist understnads that the redo of a piece of work is never, ever like the the original, no matter what you do to it. But that is far from the point. (@Charlie23, this answers your question, i did indeed write on here)

At the time i thought my work would post up and if you press submit on a finished piece you expect to see your work show up. Simple as that.

I do thank those that have repsonded to the issue at least.

Again we apologize for this happening to you. An idea we have is a auto-save feature that we are going to implement in the future. That way if there is ever an error when submitting a poem it will auto-save it while you are typing the poem and can later retrieve it.

01-25-2010 at 03:20:32 PM

That's awesome that there's going to be an auto save feature in the future. I'm sure many of the sites users will be pleased when that takes place.

Sorry king, that you lost your work.

01-26-2010 at 01:45:29 AM

No worries. Not much i can do. smile

02-03-2010 at 12:25:15 PM

The Friend Request button,
where has it moved to.

Cannot locate at this time…ohh:

02-03-2010 at 01:42:12 PM

Jaddenblade and I are wanting to be friends
and we can not find the Friend Request button.

Not on his page nor my page.

Help!!
hmmm

02-03-2010 at 01:49:07 PM

RE: RE: Cant be friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

Help!!
hmmm

I'm looking into this problem now. I will reply shortly when I find out what the problem is and get it fixed.

Thanks.

02-03-2010 at 01:56:57 PM

RE: RE: RE: Cant be friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by clips401

Originally Posted by dahlusion

Help!!
hmmm

I'm looking into this problem now. I will reply shortly when I find out what the problem is and get it fixed.

Thanks.

I just fixed the problem and you guys are now friends.
I seen the request in the system on 1-28 that it was accepted by both of you.

I'm looking further into why you both were not added to each others list.

Thanks.

02-03-2010 at 03:49:50 PM

Clips, I bow to you.tongue laugh

02-05-2010 at 08:52:12 AM

Yaaaaaaaay! ... I can see again !!! ... it's not grey anymore !!!!!!!!!! ... Thank you Mr. Fix-It Poetry Site Man !!!! ... or Wo-Man !!!!

A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.