Original Poetry Forums

Student Critiques

04-30-2010 at 01:47:39 PM

Student Critiques

05-01-2010 at 12:16:23 AM

RE: Aria's Student Critiques

RE: Similes ... by Springsize

Poem 1:
Write a poem of 16 to 20 lines in 2 parts creating a comparison (2 stanzas). Make use of two different anaphoras. Anaphora: = The repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses. Focus on the three parts of a poem when writing the poem.

20 lines, comparing in 2 stanzas, using 2 different anaphoras.

Love 'n You
_________

Love, I would imagine
you walk into the room --
Where'd you get that smile ?
like my desert lagoon.
Love, in our Death Valley
'neath a lonely night moon,
You're the last chance cafe ...
You dessert on a spoon.

Loving and You, I feel
my heart, my joy, my tune.
Loving makes me happy
to think one day mmm hmmmm ...
Loving, ever playing
like ocean waves to sea,
perhaps we shall draw light
shadows in Saturn's rings.
Loving, we'll go swirling
like gold crystalline things,
and blow colored Venus
Love, to other Godlings

Poem 2:
Write a poem of 15 to 18 lines using tercets (3 line stanzas). Make use of a refrain within the poem. Realize when you construct the refrain that it will be used within the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware that the refrain has to be constructed in a manner that will offer intent within all three literary parts of the poem. Understand also that a refrain doesn't have to be on every stanza or evenly spaced within the poem.

19 lines, 8 meter, 6 stanzas, each w/3 tercets, with 6 and 1/2 refrain used
1st and 3rd lines rhyme
middle line rhymes itself
3 part: introduction, turning point, ending and blending
1 errant anomaly

the Suicide of Phoebe Prince and the 2 fallen angels

Laughing, she came from Ireland
teen Princess with new girl essence
and how pretty her hair was hung

cascading softly 'round her face.
Laughing defiled her country smile
her curls twisted, she left this place.

I love you Mommy, she whispered...

Laughing girls with their jealous bleats
bully boys with those racing toys
who drove her down to obsolete.

Laughing at the 15 year old
so cru~el and not just at school.
Laughing, even as she lay cold.

Laughing, why.... after her defeat
-- is that a skill ? ... but who did kill
their joy? ... and what hell did they meet?

Two more angels, burned 'neath the street.
Chechnya's black widows billow
"Hail hate." ... laugh, cry, "...come death, to eat."

Poem-3:
Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines that is a conceit. That means the complete poem will be based one metaphor. The opening should set up the premise for the poem. But the title does not have to state the premise but at least it should be present in the first stanza. Write the poem in quatrains. The closure should relate to both sides of the metaphor in some way without revealing the deeper meaning of the poem. The closure needs to tie the opening and turning point together in some way to form a new concept.

20 lines, 5 quatrains, each stanza in joint rhyme, 10-10-10-8 meter, Conceit

My Love makes me Glow

She came upon me like a pirate crew
excited, my heart, as I watched her move
thousands of tingles, from my eye-core view
"I'm calling... I'm calling to you..."

Oh the flowers she wore, like day, I found
were singing to waves of visual sound
but the nose never shared a rose like this
my eyes, first aromic see mist.

She begged me to breathe her sweet summer breeze
Heaven lent softness to tease with soft leaves
her limbs that mirrored ballerina ease
my angel of land, and of sea

My yearning was churning, and I awoke
breathing, not dreaming, the dry made me choke
my lovely's soft hair, was balding limp smoke
her angel skin cracked, and it broke

Her face, now framed in angry, dark rainbows
above the bubbling suspicious foes
her veins are cauldrons of live volcanoes
my Earth, she glows old toxic snow.

Poem-4:
Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation.

12 Couplets 24 lines, 8 Meter and use of Ambiguity

When the Mute Bird Sings

Government, 1940s ::: sigh :::
Stanford Medical, F.B.I.

"Op-er-a-tion Artichoke" womb
C. I. A., USArmy room

25 miles, south of the base
Castroville, May festival place

rhesus little Eagle-Being
born with broken polio wing

no drugs to immunize her pie
no deformation, they know why

nestled right in the public eye
they studied her like a buzzard spy

Then changed the name, a science thing
"Op-er-a-tion Bluebird", don't sing

sad vocal cords, her mute 'n kind
communicated mostly mind

but time did teach her ..... listening
as softly bluebird tried to sing

the raid was quick within her nest
her feathers clipped, just silence left

fishbowl wing-one, haven't you heard?
you sang, we took your baby birds

CB informant lives next door
perch on *that* wire, birdie la lore

Dear friend, your Poem #3 fulfills the assignment in every way and your way with words is simply amazing. The "comparison" ... the contrast is vibrant and real.

And Poem #4 is my favorite of yours...well almost! Soulmate Kiss is my absolute favorite so I will have to say, Poem 4 is my favorite of the assignments. I love the "ambiguity" and the way you let the mystery play in this poem. It is very well written, grabbing the reader in the first two stanzas with "CIA" and I really, really like the way you used real words to reflect that this is a true poem. Well written, I would give you an A++++....this poem is like a great mystery novel.
http://www.originalpoetry.com/forum/reply/edit/postid/14074/topic_id/3521

RE: critique of Poem 5 -of Springsize

Poem 5

Write a poem with regulated syllabic lines: The poem should have 10 to 15 lines made up of verses with 8 or 10 syllables each: Regulated metric lines have the same number of syllables

Sweet Mary on the Prairie

The child was 8.... and her brother... was 6
a treacherous place.... alone.... 'in the sticks'
old homestead, abode..... with prairie-night sounds
the mountains... were hugging.... like walls around

the world.... of the girl..... with the sad, sad face
who lived... in her mama's..... Death Valley place
of hot, stuffy bars..... and broken-down cars
and lots and lots..... of black widows.... in jars

long... had he kept them..... alive.... so much fun
teasing her,,, so wretchedly..... thought he'd won
waiting with vengeance..... she found them... that's right
put them in his bed..... and snuck.... out of sight
"Your brother is ill..... you'll sleep there... tonight"

and the guests..... they could.... not hear... a murmur
she screamed.... the blanket... was moving ... on her

Form 1 cinquain, 2 quatrains, 1 couplet / 15 lines / 10 syllable meter

Even though this seems a simple enough assignment, I am finding it difficult myself to use the exact number of syllables in each line; thus I much enjoyed counting on my fingers as I read this poem and found it much more fun to read and count this one (so perfectly done!) than to write my own. The assignment is 100% well done, the only concern I had was the use of the word "guests" in the next to last line, as I wasn't sure who the word referred to.

RE: critique of Poem 6 -My Rosie Red Roses - by Springsize

Poem 6

Write a poem with regulated syllabic stanzas: The poem should have between 10 and 24 lines - make sure that you give your stanza pattern for the poem.

My Rosie Red Roses

Pretty little rose bush, smiling
with color that kisses the setting sun
shyly, your petals sing
"Come, share my air, and breathe with me until night comes..."

Oooooh you wonderful, red roses
melting, strawberry, summer-day kiss-lips
in wide-puckered poses
velvet, your shivers... exhale on my fingertips

Oh Rosie, red blood drips and flows
dying, your petals are drooping and torn
chemicals taint your toes
what devil seeped brown horns.... weeping... now, angel thorns

Precious your fragrant Red Rose-ness
replanted your roots in organic ground
with Godly nutrients
like you.... in your sweet-grave-sachet, and red-scent crown

4 regulated syllabic stanzas / 20 lines
8,10,6,12 syllables / loving like a red, red rose

You have easily mastered the regulated syllabic stanzas of this assignment. The poem is genuine and well-thought out. This poem to my observation is written from your heart with clarity and not only as an assignment. The imagery in your poem is vivid and the three parts are clearly defined. Lovely write, thank you!

RE: critique of Springsize's Poem 7 - the pantoum

Poem 7

Practice Repeat lines, using Syllabic Stanza Pantoum [20 Lines (10 Unique)]
2nd,4th lines become 1st,3rd lines in subsequent stanzas
1st,3rd lines in 1st stanza used for last stanza 2nd,4th lines.
8-10 Meter

The Night of Her Flower

The girl was such a pretty thing
she wore a bright smile and a promise ring.
Noooooooooo, it's not, it's so Not like this
she went missing the night before her bliss

She wore a bright smile and a promise ring
where is office flower of spring?
She went missing the night before her bliss
they're holding breath, with a clenched fist

Where is office flower of spring?
dead on the eve of her hour's wedding
holding their breath, with a clenched fist
lonely man give the bride a kiss?

Dead on the eve of her hour's wedding
The girl was such a pretty thing
lonely man gave the bride a kiss....
noooooooooo... it's not, so not like this.

Form Pantoum 4 quatrains, 20 lines (10 unique) 10, 8 meters rhyming

First of all, thank you RHPeat for introducing your students to this form...I, for one, particularly enjoy the emotion the repeated lines add to the poem.

SS, you have a gift of rhyme and word-play. You have mastered this form as easily and gracefully as the others and all with perfect syllabic meter in this one, the pantoum. A+

RE: Critique of Springsize Poem 8

Poem 8

13 lines of 13 syllables.
pull it off with a strong turning and a great closure devoted to a very heavy subject that shouldn't be treated lightly and yet offer a unique insight

Spring was singing, high in the trees the day they were born
Warm, was rustling leaves so softly as if to adorn
heads with bonnets, tiny, as they lay nestled at home
and life did cherish the three hearts that were so alone
Twins like mirrors blessing their mother's brownish color
tinged with golden hues, and the darker one was smaller
Oh, their mother knew she had been flying, with good luck
til the changes of stormy weather suddenly struck
Fast was lightning that hit the dry forest trees near-by
Fire was coming and the smoke ran into their eyes
then the panic loomed like dragons breathing over ice
she could never leave her babies and death was her price
the rangers cried, finding birdlings, safe within her wings

You managed this assignment perfectly, SS! Beautifully written poem about the horror and devastation of a wildfire.....and the truth of a mother's love in mother nature. A perfect score from me on this one!

*********************************************************************************************

Poem 9 Assignment RHPeat Poetry Class, OP Forums, RE: Working toward the sonnet/starting as the novice poet"

Write a 10 to 18 line poem in blank Verse using your choice of iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter. Stanzas are OK. That is either 8 syllables or 10 syllables per line with 4 or 5 iambs respectfully for tetrameter and pentameter. ...

I chose: Form 4 quatrains, 16 lines, iambic pentameter NO RHYMES

Sweet VelvetSmooth

I love your foods that honey me, 'o tree
and nuts, like seeds that thick, my winter blood
I love your trellis berry gypsy bulbs
like global pods in unity, when ripe

I love your smell of peaches, red and orange
though I do favor purple velvet grapes
that roll across my view and sleepy tongue
and spark the sugar faeries sprinkle dust

like music, moves my throbbing pulse for more
your life to life with nectar rich, thick songs
come throat, along, hear angels singing sweet
to harmony, togetherly, to call

my tongue, love-flavored, foods, I love caress
to touch the pearls of heaven's terrace gift
where I may sample mouthy treasure lips
upon veranda's taste-filled view of fine.

We've had much to learn in these lessons and critiquing is the most difficult part for me. It is part of the homework; however, I must proceed. I enjoyed your presentation of the fruits of summer like a lovely picnic spread out to enjoy and to savor. I didn't understand the use of the word "thick" in the 2nd line of the first stanza "like seeds that thick, my winter blood".... I feel like there might be a better word choice there not only for clarity but also because you use the word "thick" again in the 2nd line of the 3rd stanza. Every line ta-DUMs right along until the 4th line of the 3rd stanza. I hesitate to comment because chances are I'm wrong but I think " harmony" is dactyl (?) as is "togetherly"...I think adding the "ly" to the word threw the meter off. BUT as you know, I'm a student here, too...so I could be wrong. In the first line of your 4th stanza, "love-flavored" seems to me to be a spondee - an accent on "love" and "flav"....but there again, it's only my opinion, and like Dennis Miller, I could be wrong. Whew!, SS, critiquing this poem for me is like dissecting a lovely kitten in biology class. Your poem is beautiful and celebrates summer, my favorite season and your imagery is so lovely...my favorite line is "spark the sugar faeries sprinkle dust like music"...also the enjambment there was so well done, carrying over to the next stanza and continuing the thought....also "hear angels singing sweet to harmony" is lovely...You have a remarkable talent to use words that play across a line. I hope our teacher reads this. A critique of the critique may be in order here.

Critique of Springsize’s #10 (form is Ron’s portal) – Hugs to Your Heart

Perfectly written assignment, SS! You used the form and owned it in your own inimitable way. I especially like the seamless way your words are woven through the stanzas (enjambment, note, I have been paying attention in class) - great write, dear friend!

Terza Rima - 11a – It was Sunday afternoon on Mission St.

You mastered the form, SS and your rhymes are always perfect...I find the last stanza a little vague...but it may just be me...I need clarity, simply written sometimes.

Terza Rima - 11b – The Exit Sign

You successfully completed this assignment, SS! I can't see any word or rhyme or iamb out of place. This is an amazing story-poem, leading the reader to understanding rather than simply telling and you did it all in the perfect poetic form of terza rima. Congratulations, SS, you are on your way to the sonnet!

Critique of Springsize’s #12 Villanelle– America, sweet Liberties

Excellent use of the villanelle form assignment...the rhyme and meter are impeccable!

Critique of Springsize’s #13 Terzanelle – Rainbow River (terzanelle)

Sounds like a sky-ride poem from the sixties...I have no idea what it means but it sounds so lovely and falls so lovely off the lips when read out loud...you have the best word descriptions of anybody, SS! I love your terzanelle....did I spell that right? aterzanelle, well okay, then. A++

Reply from Springsize:

Thank you So Much, Aria... I knew I had a problem with the closure, and that it did not identify the theme behind my poem. I hope I have made this more clear now... or I shall have to remove this poem for frankensteinian repair.

Reply from Aria:

Do not change your poem...it is perfect. I understand it now and it doesn't need anything, it does exactly what a poem is supposed to do, "show" NOT "tell"....and you do this so well, SS! After reading through it several more times, your ability to make the reader pause and literally see the clouds, the rainbow angels (I love that)...and the baby face. God bless you, sweet friend...your poetry that flows from your pure heart inspires me to be a better person, much less a better poet.

********************************************************************************************

critique – Kabbalistic – Fellow Traveler

Pretending we don't know each other, we are here as poetry students...I will attempt to critique your poem but please remember, I am a novice at this as well as poetry. The assignment was for a 15 - 18 line poem using tercets, making use of a refrain and being aware of the opening, turning point and closure. The first thing I notice is the poem is 24 lines, so perhaps condensing if possible to meet the constraints would be plausible. It seems that in the opening, the poet is writing of a fresh start, a new beginning with a person who either he has known before or a person who has shared a similar experience a "deep chasm" where a "foundation" has been laid and that has given the poet common ground with the
fellow traveler. The poet brings attention to the word "virgin" numerous times simply by repeating it often. The reason for the word choice is not made clear to me in the poem other than I tried substituting "unknown" for virgin and that word worked to help me understand. Also, in the third stanza, you have repeated the word "forever" ... In most cases, I would suggest a different word with the same meaning rather than repeating the word that closely together...unless you are making a point in the repetition. I do note the three parts of the poem, well defined opening, turning point and closure....the poem is written as a vow this time to not "miss again" - there again a hint at a past relationship that is renewed or new again. I would suggest replacing the first word of the fifth stanza "that" with "a" for smoothness ("that" falls harsh on the ear)...noting the enjambment of thought and line into the next stanza, well done. You have already noted in your commentary that there is not a refrain unless we consider the word "virgin" the refrain. I think it would be simple to construe a line using the word "virgin" and repeat that line at the three distinct parts of the poem, condense the poem into 6 stanzas rather than 8 and thus fulfill the "form" required in the assignment. And I will also say, writing a critique is hard work. Thank you for participating in class and allowing us to critique your work.

********************************************************************************************
Critiques of Wordslingers Poems

RE: Critique of Wordslinger's Poem 5

Poem-5
Write a poem with regulated syllabic lines: The poem should have 10 to 15 lines made up of verses with 8 or 10 syllables each: Regulated metric lines have the same number of syllables each--you have to chose a number
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gardens On Radio Waves

You have a pocketful of light
I’m flush, can you spare some tonight
You’ve said any where, anytime
I could, and it would be alright

What’s the rush, what’s the rush; can these
ears hear the reciting in a whisper
The poems lush, the poems lush; Guess I’m
in fear I’ am going to crush my dear

Oh Grace, let me see your hand, God
I want to play with your wand, God
I hope you do understand, yes God;
So you can find the lost bond, God

Before you do; can she recite before
I go? The Poem; Farewell to
The Weeping Rose

First of all, WS, I apologize for not critiquing this one sooner. Somehow you slipped 5 and 6 in without me noticing. Actually, I was wondering why you were late with the assignment (since you are always the early-bird!)...and found them.

I see the 15 lines which is according to the guidelines of the assignment. My understanding of the assignment is that regulated metric lines have the same number of syllables each, you have to chose a number. I think it is permissible to have some with 8 or some with 10 but I believe it was to be regulated. Also, line 11 has 9 syllables, line 14 has 7, and line 15 has 4. It's a lovely poem, Word, but my critique is, go back and count those syllables and make it fit the form. Okay?

Poem -6
Write a poem with regulated syllabic stanzas: The poem should have between 10 and 24 lines--there is a number of choices here within the number of lines depending on how many lines you have per stanza. You can use any number of even syllables within each of your lines, make sure they are an even number of syllables. You can use 4 to 5 stanzas within your poem--no couplets

Love stopped our speech into our kisses reach
Yes, the flame, undistinguished, and untamed
Gentle: This waterfall we are under
Warm breath, cool-cool water, bodies closer

Kisses with water under this nightfall
We; accomplices to our happiness
This is how we do feel, this is our seal
Water kisses, have you heard is proverb?

Kiss-spiritual into each other,
We kiss away, oh yes we kiss away
It is so hard to behave near the cave
So we do slip away, we slip away

As we kissed, she felt my grip around her
waste, healing the loneliness with our taste
Every time it shall rain, it will be our
embrace, and our look on our face, to trace
----------------------------------------------------------

I see you have written 4 stanzas in quatrains, 10 syllables per line. So you met the requirements of the assignment there. After re-reading the assignment I see that having the same number of syllables per line is an option. So well done, except for one misspelled word, Word...a waist is not waste... Much love, my friend...please go easy with the chain saw!

RE: critique of Wordslingers Assignment #8
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Poem-8 in the theme of always late for class'
Hollander's (little song) sonnet is made up of 13 lines of 13 syllables
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tardy, but Flew in on a Paper Airplane

Yes this move here, shall fly high; and this will sure pass
Skipping class, a meter, just may get a foot in my ass
Re-cycled piece of paper: This is my career
Yes, I’m about to fold into something special
Words are just as, like what, I ‘m a simile here
And when I’m done, Hey‘, you can toss me horizontal
Oh no, it’s better that you don’t even ask me why
I ‘am going to glide, glide, like a; as a aero plane,
Gently curve in the thin breeze, and raise to rise and fly
Long tail sturdy, stability wordy, that’s my name
I wouldn’t miss poetry class for the big blue sky
Yes, I sure do know what I am, it is so simple
Here is the principal, hold your tongue, and say apple

Dear John E. Wordslinger: Sometimes I think you are just yanking our chains to see if we're paying attention. The assignment was 13 lines of 13 syllables...and you gave 13 lines ...8 of which (to my count) had 13 syllables, 1 had 14 and 4 had 12. It wouldn't be very difficult to conform your poem to the form but I sense you don't want to conform even though you're here in poetry class...however; my friend, if we are to be the example to other poets that your voice is often heard calling all of us here on OP to be....I think you should respect the teachers (and fellow classmates) enough to take the time to do the assignment as required. Use your fingers to count, or tap your foot....I know you're a musician...other than that, it's a matter of taking the time to do it right out of respect for the one teaching the class. Thank you.

Critique of Wordslingers Poem 9

A Moments Lock

A bellow, it’s a bellow, and it’s light
Such a sweet breeze, sweet breeze kissing my skin
A peaceful place where no voice moves, it’s a
yellow, it’s a yellow, and it’s nice; these
blessings take years to rest upon and on

Yes, keep your heart up, moment cherish
Makes one want to be a poet, yes a poet
Under nights skies, kissed under nights skies
Now I’m a blushing, flushing bellow breeze

I commend you WS on the originality contained in all of your poetry. Even if I didn't see your name posted, you have a unique style that identifies your poems. I am a fellow student critiquer, so please bear with me. The poem was assigned as iambic in either pentameter or tetrameter, you chose pentameter being 10 syllables per line. Of the 10 lines, 7 of them have 10 syllables, line 6 has 9 syllables, line 8 has 12, and line 9 has 9. The first line is perfect iamb. a BELlow, IT'S a BELlow AND it's LIGHT (I'm listening for the ta-DUM that Peat wrote of and I can hear it in this line)...however, the next line doesn't follow the ta-DUM. The line begins with a stresed syllable which I believe makes it trochee rather than iambic. The third line starts out well enough in iambic but then with "voice MOVES, IT'S a " you have two stressed syllables together, is that a spondee? I'm not sure. Then in your fourth line you begin with a stressed syllable...so already we know it is not iambic. I think I've done enough on this one to let you know it needs to go back to the writing-board or perhaps one of our teachers will come along behind me and clear up any misconceptions I have created from my own lack of knowledge. I have used three poetry handbooks in trying to define the terms but I am by no means sure of what I'm doing other than to say "this is only my opinion and what do I know?" I believe if we practice the ta-DUM that Peat has suggested, we will get it. Thanks for allowing me to critique your poem...it's a fun poem, it celebrates young love and spring and if it were not an assignment, I would say Great poem, WS! I will not be rating when I have to critique an assignment even though I did rate the one I critiqued previous to this one. Also, thanks again for your help in restructuring the School of Poetry. It is much more user friendly now!

Critique of Wordslingers Poem 10
El English

A Kabbalistic Balladeer
Repeat, there’s a good echo in here
It burns like wood, el stone, forever fire
Forever fire`~ el English ember

You want one, become a member
A flourished Cousin blood Thought Caster
A new disciple in the watch
Bare down, and show us your whittled notch

We do not use nails, we use screws
Like anchors deep, can’t be cut loose

L1 is iambic pentameter which sets the poem up to be 8 syllables per line. L2 is 9 syllables, L3 is 10, L4 is 10, L5 is 8, L6 is 9, L7 is 8, L8 is 9, L9 is 8 and L10 is 8. I think you need to decide if you want to use 8 or 10 syllables per line. It can't be iambic if the syllable count is off. - sorry, WS!
oops, L1 is iambic TETRAMETER not pentameter! My mistake, please excuse me!!!

Critique of Wordslingers’ #11 – Terza Rima

Dear Word, you know I'm crazy about you and your poetry...but please repeat after me....ta DUM ta DUM ta DUM ta DUM...play it on the drums, play it on the roof...Peat has a great posts in the lessons about how to get the iamb...it really works. If you don't do anything else for a whole evening but "sing the iamb song" in your head...it works. You're a musician I know you can do it. This is the critique...the rest of the lessons are building blocks on this one thing...ya' gotta' get it, my friend. You are such a great wordsmith, but like a perfectly trained horse is beauty in motion (well, come to think of it wild ones are, too..that wasn't a very good metaphor!) ...so will your poetry be when you catch the meter thing...it's going to fly off the page with fresh wings.

Critique of Wordslinger’s #12 – Villanelle – A Poets Jig

You got the form, you got the rhyme...all you need is iambic pentameter. You know you can be the best of both worlds, WS, I think free verse is great but that doesn't mean that structured poetry is any less great. With your superb imagination and abilities, I can only imagine how totally awesome your poetry will be. To learn from the masters of poetry is part of the gift they left us in their words. Poetry school is not taking anything away from your style or your poetry, it is simply adding more instruments to the band...to use as you will, when you will, as you want.

Critique of Wordslinger’s #13 Terzanelle– Radiation Cemetery

This has a great e.e. kind of feel to it...it's not perfect in meter but you're getting there. I love the visionary feel of this one, WS!

Critique of Wordslinger’s #14 – Sontoum - Sit Down and Sitar

John E, you certainly do give your fellow students an education in the critique. I have a much better understanding of the sontoum after having done the scansion on your assignment #14. My first question on looking at your poem was the definition of the word "raga" since I was not familiar with it. The dictionary defined it as "basically a set of rules for how to build a melody...in Hindu music." Knowing the boy genius joke-star that you are....I immediately think you're messing with my mind because basically isn't this what we're trying to learn in poetry class? A set of rules for how to build a melody? Interesting subject choice, for sure. I move on to note that the 14 line count of 3 quatrains and a couplet is correct. You pretty much nailed the repeton except on L1 of S2 which should have been the exact same line as B1 in S1...so one of those lines need to be changed so match the other. Trying to scansion your poetry takes a much more skilled student that I. The only thing I'm sure of is that the accent in "raga" is on the first syllable (that, too, is from the dictionary)...thus your poem starts off as trochee and not iamb. The only lines that I think are iambic pentameter are B1 and maybe C1. I believe "heavenly" is dactyl meaning a stressed syllable followed by two light stresses. You did follow the basic rules for the sontoum and your words play across the page in your own distinct style. Your poem is musical and your word-play is sing-song. Thank you for adding a new word to my vocabulary today and for allowing me to critique on your poem.

*********************************************************************************************

Critiques of LeslieAlexis poems

RE: Critique Poems 1 by Leslie Alexis

Poem 1:
Write a poem of 16 to 20 lines in 2 parts creating a comparison (2 stanzas). Make use of two different anaphoras. Anaphora: = The repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses. Focus on the three parts of a poem when writing the poem.

The Boys In The Library

I overheard them while in the library.
--Two young men of age eighteen.--
This was what I heard them say:
They said there are obnoxiously loud
They said they dress in saggy pants
And sit as if sitting on their backs,
The way a lazy dog would do;
They use women and keep no curfew.

They spoke of the younger brothers.
And spoke so badly of them, but
They said they too had many girls
And when I saw them they were slouched
And they were obnoxiously loud,
And with their pants, they couldn’t walk;
You should have heard them talk.
They said they’re going to party at two;
They find faults in what the younger do…?

Hi again leslieAlexis

I notice first that you have formed your poems with 17 lines, which IS, of course, an odd number... and still it falls within the rules of 16-20.

Also, you have successfully begun almost ALL of your lines with an anaphora (repeated) phrase... of "they are' so again, you have followed instructions.

Now... I am looking for the 2 part ambiguity and I think you have expressed this with your first stanza which infers a conversation about 18 years that are perhaps lazy or wear baggy pants... and then in the 2nd stanza Reader is aware that you are speaking as the younger brothers who look exactly like the ones in the first stanza. Each thinks the other is unkempt and does not fit it... So you have accomplished the goal of two different views that looked the same

Critiquing is my least favorite part of this class and I have put it off as long as possible.

The assignment was to write a poem (16-20 lines) using 2 different anaphoras, creating contrast and focusing on the 3 parts of a poem.

Your poem is 17 lines, I suppose the anaphora is the repetitive "they" and "ands" which I find oh, how can I say this politely....boring. They, and, that and but are all words that in my rule book should be avoided because they are insignificant, common....and make a poem dull. Opening, turning point, closure? The poem is an observation and I don't see the turning point that left me anything to discern or think about as a reader.

RE: critique of LeslieAlexis Poem 2
Poem 2:
Write a poem of 15 to 18 lines using tercets (3 line stanzas). Make use of a refrain within the poem. Realize when you construct the refrain that it will be used within the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware that the refrain has to be constructed in a manner that will offer intent within all three literary parts of the poem. Understand also that a refrain doesn't have to be on every stanza or evenly spaced within the poem.

A Kiss

They call it a kiss
A butterfly’s touch
The gentlest rest

They call it a kiss
A summertime breeze
The warmest caress

They call it a kiss
A drizzling rain
The heavenly dress

They call it a kiss
A sweltering sun
The desire for less

They call it a kiss
A bee's painful sting
The soul of true stress

They call it a kiss
Whatever it is
They call it a kiss

18 lines as assigned, tercet as assigned...and having read this assignment immediately after reading the first...I am struck by your use of the word "they"...
but you did write the refrain and complete the assignment. Noting that a kiss went from a butterfly touch to a bee sting...I find that interesting...and a turning point for me to think about, thank you.
Poem-3:
Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines that is a conceit. That means the complete poem will be based one metaphor. The opening should set up the premise for the poem. But the title does not have to state the premise but at least it should be present in the first stanza. Write the poem in quatrains. The closure should relate to both sides of the metaphor in some way without revealing the deeper meaning of the poem. The closure needs to tie the opening and turning point together in some way to form a new concept.

Kissed By a Shadow

I was kissed by a shadow.
On a summer day, when the
Sun shone in the bright sky, she
Sneaked from a tree, and kissed me.

Kissed me on my cheek, and neck
And every spot on my face,
And lips and eyes, and my nose.
Tenderly, I was kissed, by

A shadow, that left no trace:
For, of all the parts she kissed,
She did not kiss my heart
And shadowy kisses fade,

Like a puff of smoke scatters,
Throughout the universe,
Only to be forgotten;
When I recall, Her wet kisses.

Quatrain, conceit, and metaphor ... a very nice poem. The metaphor contradicts itself, however, in the last stanza...."puff of smoke" and "wet" kiss...unless you are going for the contrast there which I suppose could be the case.

Poem-3:

Kissed By a Shadow

And shadowy kisses fade,

Throughout the universe,
Only to be forgotten;

Quatrain, conceit, and metaphor ... a very nice poem. The metaphor contradicts itself, however, in the last stanza...."puff of smoke" and "wet" kiss...unless you are going for the contrast there which I suppose could be the case.

RE: critique of LeslieAlexis Poem 4

Poem 4 Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation.

Beyond The Ray

What lies beyond the ray?
Beyond the making of day.

Is there more to this thing
That causes the cock to sing?

What might there be that light
Would look upon for light?

The depth of truth is relative
So, does light only grieve

Or maybe he stands proud?
At the top, he could be loud.

But light knows of greater than he,
For at the hour he fades humbly

To give the spot to a lesser man,
Day by day he does it by plan,

Whose? Light and light alone knows
But HE must glow more that he glows.

16-24 lines, couplets, ambiguity....all well done as assigned. "That" and "but" could have been left out of the stanzas and in my opinion, the poem would have more impact.

RE: critique of LeslieAlexis Poem 5
Poem 5

Write a poem with regulated syllabic lines: The poem should have 10 to 15 lines made up of verses with 8 or 10 syllables each: Regulated metric lines have the same number of syllables

Your Love Pours

Jupiter’s rings, if they were made of gold
I would place upon your finger, my love.
And not because the third can fit the space,
But because your heart fills it and gives more:
Beyond the band dewdrops of honeyed love
Pours… much like the oil of Elijah’s word;
Enough that from the excess I can use,
And stand in the assurance that there’s store.
The women of my past only gave drops…
That as drizzles in deserts during drought
Quickly dried on the arid surfaces…
And the ring they would use as a jump rope…
To dance away… but such is not your way,
And your love is topped only by Christ’s drink
And of the promises of both, I’m sure.

15 lines, 10 syllables - regulated meter

Very nicely done assignment.
Edit
Flag Post
Delete
04-18-2010 at 11:22:50 PM

• Aria

Poem 6
Write a poem with regulated syllabic stanzas: The poem should have between 10 and 24 lines - make sure that you give your stanza pattern for the poem.

Cinquain: 6,7,8, 9,10 syllable
Rhyme pattern: a,b,a,b,b

Art

Though the tip’s dipped in ink,
The art looks like a squid sprayed
The colors, which are out of sync:
As if they were done by a grenade.
Lovers of torment it would serenade.

From abstract to absurd;
And carried by tidal waves
The artist uses trash to gird.
Idiot! A man by the name, Staves,
Shows many a plant growing out of graves.

He had too many turns.
Like a tornado’s winds blown
He took without any concerns,
Of things passed and those yet to be known;
Of all, why so crooked a picture sewn?

On each look, I see less…
Can it be knowledge is rife?
And wisdom is blamed for the mess?
For each man’s drawn knelt before a wife…
And he named the piece; he named the piece life.

Great rhyme and tight meter. Well done assignment.

RE: critique of LeslieAlexis Poem 7

Poem 7

8-10 Meter

An owl soars over open sea
The fat blind bird in open range
Soars like eagles – incredibly!
He makes a scene, for he’s estranged.

The fat blind bird in open range.
The owl in the pacific air;
He makes a scene, for he’s estranged
He conquers every passing fear.

The owl in the pacific air.
The harsh sun and her seeping light;
He conquers every passing fear,
He travels both in day and night.

The harsh sun and her seeping light
Through the osprey and birds of prey
He travels both in day and night,
The fire for an all owl buffet

An owl soars over open sea:
The fire for an all owl buffet,

The pantoum is written very well with the repetitive lines contained to continue the story. Oh yes, repeton! Rhyme and regulated meter, well done. In the instructions for the pantoum assignment, RHPeat wrote "Generally the pantoum isn't very effective for telling a story but it can be very good for a more emotional presentation of subject matter." I see what he means.

Originally Posted by leslieAlexis

Hollander Sonnet: 13 lines of 13 syllables each.

Caught in Folly (Lost in her Eyes)

I was like an astronaut glazing toward the earth.
I was in awe at the magnificence before me ,
So I tried to walk in the direction of the sea;
(The brilliant green would surely give my life some mirth)
I was unsuccessful because I lacked gravity.
Akin to Jupiter’s they were parted by a ring.
The beautiful land seemed one of infinite spring,
In contract to my place where winter reigned continually:
Fireflies don’t sparkle, bluebirds, nightingales never sing.
She called my name; I was lost in the universe’s eyes
That like magician’s watch, with time had me hypnotized.
Coming closer I estimated what she might bring:
When she said, “Fool, leave me be!” I thought her words were lies.

Lex, Welcome back! The imagery in this poem is some of the best yet, I really enjoyed the metaphors and the scene that you painted quite vividly with words.
That said, it could use a little tune-up of syllables per line and also a couple of misspelled words need to be corrected (i.e. contract in line 8 should be contrast, glazing in line 1 should be gazing.) As for syllables...I'm not the best at counting because I'm a Texan and sometimes our words have more syllables than the norm. I enjoyed the poem thoroughly and especially liked lines 8 and 9 (the contrast of winter and "fireflies, bluebirds, nightingales) and the jab to the heart of the last line is superb. Great closure!

CritRE: RE: Critique of Kah's Poem 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Poem 1
Hope I'm not too far behind! I got a late start to school this year!
kah

The Evening Does Glide

The fish are swimming elegantly
Catching my eye with their graceful turns.
Do they realize they are caged?
I am drawn to their fluid movements.
As they swim, the day slides away from me;
Better than an amber shot of relief
These sleek-finned beings.
Water sounds lull into evening’s gentle glide.

The fish are floating belly up
Catching my eye with their stillness.
It’s sad to be dead in your cage.
My staring missed something;
Watching is not the same as seeing –
What does it mean that I see you now?
Sleek-finned and floating
With me into evening’s gentle glide.

Poem 1: Write a poem of 16 to 20 lines in 2 parts creating a comparison (2 stanzas). Make use of two different anaphoras. Anaphora: = The repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses. Focus on the three parts of a poem when writing the poem.

Hi kah! Welcome to Peat's Poetry Class! Here we critique each others poetry as part of the assignment. Not only learning to write poetry but to read and critique as well.

You have written a 16 line poem in 2 parts creating a comparison as assigned. Unfortunately, you have joined the midst of those of us who didn't get the "anaphora" definition. I quote from the Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry: "Anaphora - the repetition of the same word or words at the beginning of successive phrases, clauses, sentences or lines." So technically, even though you repeated the words "The fish" and "catching" your poem is not written in the anaphora style. I was advised to read Whitman because he was the master of anaphora. Here is an example from Whitmans "Out of the Cradle"

"From the memories of the bird that chanted to me,
From your memories, sad brother—from the fitful risings and fallings I heard,
From under that yellow half-moon, late-risen, and swollen as if with tears,
From those beginning notes of sickness and love, there in the transparent mist,
From the thousand responses of my heart, never to cease,
From the myriad thence-arous’d words,
From the word stronger and more delicious than any,
From such, as now they start, the scene revisiting..."

Hope this helps! Again, welcome to class...don't worry about fitting in, you already do! (mass class confusion over anaphora!) And this is the first thing I learned - invest in a poetry handbook if you don't have

Critique of Kah's Poem 2

The assignment was 15 - 18 lines using tercets making use of a refrain within the three parts of the poem. The refrain does not have to be evenly spaced within the poem nor on every stanza. I think you succeeded well in the three parts of the poem, opening, turning point and closure and used the refrain as required. My only question would be the use of the word "galaxian" i.e. is that a word? It was distracting to me but perhaps not to other readers. Good job on the assignment!

CRITIQUE OF KAH'S POEM 3 - CONCEIT

Very interesting write and I think you did a great job on the assignment. The metaphor was used without being revealed and the closure of the poem tied it all together. Great write! (oops, sorry, there's a typo - veiwing - viewing.)

critique of kah's poem 4 -

Gosh, this is so difficult for me!!! Never realized how much I hate "rules"!

Poem 4: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation. Or let the opening and turning in the poem be extremely different within the presentation so they don’t appear related to one another in any way at all. Let the poem be equivocal in thought and vision. Stay focused on the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware that the ambiguity has to be constructed in a manner that will offer content within the reader; allow for discovery on the readers part. Understand that ambiguity doesn't have to be on every stanza of the poem as long as the is carried throughout the overall presentation.

Poem 4
The Gift

Goblets sit hollow, holding promise
Whispering sacred songs for other’s notice.

There is much variety among those vessels
Each carefully designed to cradle the blessings.

Not meant for vacancy these fertile cups,
Repel tainted fingers; only the pure may touch.

Enter the rapiers, gleaming and straight,
Brimming with character of strength, weight.

Each bold blade will find the proper seat
A table will be set; chalices, knives, complete.

Proper use of such common utensils
Protect each other – avoid pretenses.

The effort borne here will create a great gift -
Goblets will hold what the rapiers impart swift.

In time, overflowing, spilling life fruit
Chalices will empty, fulfilling their use.

Silver light bathes, the cycle completes.
The cups will return, placed again at the seat.

Mighty swords will be cleaned gleaming
Awaiting these hallowed goblets, dreaming.

The gift lies not in the song or dance:
It resides in the union, the striking of balance.

You have followed the form of couplets in the assigned number of lines perfectly.
I see that you have allowed the reader their own interpretation (very well done!) and you have a very pronounced opening, turning point and closure. I particularly like the wording...goblets, rapiers and chalices impart a feeling of the middle ages...and the last stanza is a classic "the gift lies not in the song or dance: It resides in the union, the striking of balance."....there is such truth in the statement, kah. Beautifully written, A+ in my book! ne. You wrote a very interesting poem and I liked the metaphor of the fish bowl/one's life

CRITIQUE OF KAH'S POEM 5 - I love this poem, the humor and the insight into the world of young boys and video games. I especially liked the surprise ending, the reveal at the closure. I think someone has already mentioned to you L5 has 11 syllables - I think generals could be gen'rals or little could be li'l for an easy fix.

CRITIQUE OF KAH'S POEM 6 - - I'm not sure about how you interpreted the assignment, I was expecting a tercet or a quatrain since Prof mentioned 4 to 5 stanzas but no couplets and 10 to 24 lines. You have 18 lines, I would suggest dividing it equally into tercets. The form is a little jumbled and doesn't allow for easy reading...somehow the form contributes to the flow of poetry...(LOL! I need to read the class notes again or get out the poetry handbook!). Other than that, at this point in the exercises we are to be counting syllables and he did specify no matter how many syllables, it had to be an even number. I hate being nit-picky but your L5 has 11. Have I mentioned critiquing is the hardest part of this class for me? I enjoyed reading the whole poem.

Critique of kah's assignment/poem 7
Poem 7

WRITE A PANTOUM

1. Write a quatrain/ a four-line stanza. Let the lines have either an end-stop or an enjambment on the end of the line. I suggest that line 2 have an enjambment and that line 4 have an end-stop. This will allow each stanza to flow to the last line and then conclude. Also keep in mind that lines 1 & 2 will be the closure at the end of the poem. So if you give a lot of thought to the beginning here, you fill find the ending of the poem easier as well.
2. Take lines 2 & 4 of the first stanza and make them lines 1 and 3 in the next stanza. Then complete the second stanza, by inserting the missing lines that connect 1 & 3 in the lines 2 & 4 positions. Figure on 5-6 stanzas within the poem 20-24 lines or less if you want to. But it is more difficult to write a short pantoum.
3. Repeat the pattern for each stanza always taking lines 2 & 4 and moving them to lines 1 & 3 in the next stanza. So you would be moving lines 2 and 4 of the 2nd stanza to lines 1 & 3 in the third stanza, and so on and so forth. Do this until you reach the last stanza of the pantoum.
4. In the final stanza remember you will be using lines 1 & 3 as lines 2 & 4 in the closure of the poem. You use those two lines that haven't been repeated yet in the closure of the poem. That’s lines 1 and 3 of the first stanza to close the poem. Now There is an option in the closing of the poem; you can make line 3 the 2nd line of the final stanza, and make line 1 the 4th line of the stanza in the last quatrain of poem if you want. So either way is acceptable for the final stanza in the form. This final step brings the poem full circle.
Keep regular syllabic count per line - 8 or 10 suggested

I chose 10 syllables per line.

http://www.originalpoetry.com/this-little-girl
This Little Girl
She was a bright child with a quick mind
Filled with curiosity, she never
Left a question unasked, a rock unturned.
Her spirit was haloed with moondust stars.

Thought to slow down her endless desires.
Sweet, engaging, she made friends easily.

Thought to slow down her endless desires,
Her parents forbid her to go to school.
Sweet, engaging, she made friends easily
Of maids, gardeners, shopkeepers and more.

Her parents forbid her to go to school
So she often times sat upon the knee
This little angel learned life from the living.

Of one particular favorite old man.
This little angel learned life from the living
Never knowing she was a good teacher!

Of one particular favorite old man
She knew a secret that she longed to tell.
Never knowing she was a good teacher
She gently whispered into his old ear -

"I know a secret that I long to tell!"
He bent closer still, anxiously waiting.
She gently whispered into his old ear:
"You are my own grandpa! I love you so!"

The gentle grandpa gave her a small squeeze.
She was a bright child with a quick mind.
Sweet kiss on his cheek; He's glad she never

I immediately fell in love with this little girl whose "spirit was haloed with moondust stars." Such a beautiful line, kah! It is a lovely poem and a beautiful story that makes it difficult to critique...ugh. This is rather like dissecting, a task I hated in biology class. The Pantoum form is great and you followed it to a T, good work! I believe your syllable count is off in several lines, however. According to my fingers, L1 is 9 syllables, L18 is 11, so of course every time the line is repeated the count is off. I hate counting syllables but it is part of the assignment. Please note on my pantoum, I also disregarded the syllable count so this is really making me feel ridiculous. Other than counting syllables, I would use another word rather than "gentle" to describe grandpa as you already used "gently" whispered. Great story in pantoum form which according to the teacher of our class, doesn't usually work for pantoum....you made it work so WELL DONE

Critique of Kah’s Assignment #8 – Hollander Sonnet - On Love and Other Variables

I love the theme and the vivid-reality of this poem. Ah, Kah, my friend...why does the assignment have to say 13 syllables to each line? I don’t know why it’s important but to the Hollander sonnet it is. 13 lines, 13 syllables per line.... several in this piece are off. L1 12, L2 15, L4 12, L7 12, L11 12, L12 12 and L13 15. but who’s counting? damn, I hate critiquing cause I really love this poem.

Critique of Kah’s #9 – Blank Verse – The Dance of Love’s Most Perfect Blade

Congratulations, Kah, on completing the assignment so successfully. We are learning a lot and I compliment you on your hard-work. You wrote 18 lines of lovely poetry. There seems to be a problem with accents in L5. I think it starts off trochaic. I'm a student, too, not an expert, but it seems the stress mark falls on "DIG in! DElight...." My only other suggestions would be to not repeat the word " this" in L1 and L3...perhaps L1 might read "you take your blade"...just to shake it up a little in intensity. To follow through on the "blade in the breast"...I think I would change the lips on the chin to lips on the breast (or chest) and "heart beats so loud" ...if you've been stabbed your heart beat might be slowing or faint....you've got a a really dark well-written poem here! Great work

Last edited by Aria 05-15-2010 at 01:21:00 PM

05-01-2010 at 01:33:57 AM

Student Critiques for Wordslinger

Critique of WordSlinger's Poem 1

Quote:

Poem 1
------------------------------------
A Renegades Rhythm of Remorse

Last night an Angel on the moon slept
The morning came, and the birds sang;
And I listened, but something was in lack
When I opened my eyes the phone rang,
A friend said, a friend committed suicide;
My day turned so black
Then I heard the sound,
a pound from the ground,
I knew he wanted back

Tonight an Angel on the moon shall dream
At beckon call, but hear no bang;
And now I know, that someone is in slack
A neighbor, a neighbor who could have sang;
Their day turned so black
Again I’ll hear the sound,
A pound from the ground,
There’s no turning back
------------------------------------------------------

Hi All !
I am a student, here to critique~ so I am not sure.... but I only found two anaphoras, and there were too few?

However, the message was more than loud and did make a presence known to -this- Reader's attention at the gate. A story beginning with Angels almost always attracts my attention, and then the Poem transitions to one of the people in the poem that has a self-destructive suicide ?, creating shock, leaving Reader wondering the same why? as the Poet...

Meanwhile, I think our 2nd anaphoras were to be different than the 1st stanza set (?); and the 2nd stanza is different and again grabs Reader's attention, observing a present tense where the 'passed' person realizes too late, a bad and permanent decision/action, coming as a pounding from the ground.

The shock value, though not new, is dramatic and stays with me more than a day, or few ... And the Poet has managed to include the 3 parts, starting with a BillBoard beginning, with a soon derailed train that must have pulled off the highway into the clouds, because it was a smooth move from angels to the explosive ground scene... and from the transition scene, you ended the poem by pulling each separate stanza into a combined and meaningful ending.

*****************************************************************************************************

Critique of Wordslinger's Poem 2

Quote:

Poem 2

Time Wears High Heels

Whoo, time is naked, so sexy; time wears high heels, baby
The whole nest is in hock, everything from tree to tree
Signs of it are in every flock, the ground is out of seed

Yes, the whole nest, in line, worms think birds are a crime
Eagles wont tell you because they can’t, deceitful birds
We are just at the beginning of an implant, smile for time

Whoo, you the brave wanted Change, well you got it,
7 years for 7 years, Time repeats itself, so queer
Keep your faith, and to those you can surely spot it

Yes, question it’s character, We’re afraid it is no charade
Time is pretty, if you look, Awe, so sweet, it has braids
Let us grasp them, and time is up in the air, for us to share

Whoo, not to mention its sexy legs, let us fertilize your eggs
The whole world wants a shot, that’s right, we think you’re hot
You may think this is out place, but we’re not, like two faced

Critique~ing another poem here ...

THIS poem has an immediate attention-gatherer with the title of "Time wears high heels". WhatEver could this mean, I wander into this poem with more questions than the scant number of restrains. Two for a whole poem, I almost feel cheated.

Ok, I also did not find a single rhyme in the first stanza, so a point is lost in the mechanics dept?

The meat of this poem is different, and I find it is vague and I am not easily able to find the message Except that our current evolutionary place in Time is a bit disgraceful, buying implanted smiles after ruining good teeth from sugar consumption, and buying eggs in a dish because the body just won't do what the dish does, and sterile isn't as sexy as the real dish, I think the main message is that the Earth feels ravaged, pillaged and forsaken by the caretakes, humans, who are swishing around in gala dresses without a care that we are running out of resources. Perhaps the reality is that humans are just somewhat blinded, like the deer in the headlights and have not yet been able to find acceptable solutions to a resourse-diminishing environment.

*****************************************************************************************************

Critique of John E WordSlinger Poem 3

Quote:

All of My Assignments/Poems shall be posted in this same section, so check back

Poem-3 Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines that is a conceit. That means the complete poem will be based one metaphor. The opening should set up the premise for the poem. But the title does not have to state the premise but at least it should be present in the first stanza. Write the poem in quatrains. The closure should relate to both sides of the metaphor in some way without revealing the deeper meaning of the poem. The closure needs to tie the opening and turning point together in some way to form a new concept.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Radio Plays In The Air Tonight

Are we all born with the gift to love?
Have we all been pushed, until we shove?
There, feel time pull us to a blight?
The radio plays in the air tonight

Are we all born with the gift of respect?
Do we honor that until we feel the reject?
There again, feel time pull us to a blight?

Answers, come and go like all in do time
I guess when people have two faces,
they think they rhyme,
They must of have been rejected, right?

Now that we are older, do we have soggy shoulders?
Or have we turned so cold that we’ve lost a foothold?
Me too, this moment is now here, here it?
Me too, and you; play in the air; spirit

I’ve gone to that land of love, say it’s up above,
I say it’s down below where the hurt doesn’t show
If lies could growl, I’d say they'll howl
to the moon light, to the moon light

A stricken cord, O’ Lord, above
There, feel it pull to a blight?
So remember the gift of love

http://www.originalpoetry.com/the-radio-plays-in-the-air-tonight

Hi WordSlinger

I am critiquing your poem and find that you have used the anaphora method, and you have created the illusion of the radio speaking for the poet.... good one.

You begin your poem with a classic desire of all humans... to Love... so Reader is interested with this beginning.
You blend your analogy from speaking of how does man love, to how does man respect, usually finding this one as we "get older", both concepts do blend... so that works.

You finish your poem by reigning ? in the spiritual realm of loving, although you seem to maintain an option to growl as a moon light.. ? Seems the poem has described human, as we continue to strive to better thoughts and behavior, despite obstacles and hurts we experience.

And... of course, you full circle with reminding Reader that it is Love, once again, that is the big gift... the one thing we may give as rich or poor, weak or powerful.

Further, your line count was 25 lines, which was one over the line, sweet Jesus... LOL, seriously, those cupcakes... I have pulled my own anomaly and used the one extra line as well, noting your own spare line in the 3rd stanza of this poem, as if to put a spotlight on it.

Nice job, WordSlinger... Expecially on EASTER....

Critique of John E WordSlinger Poem 4

Quote:

All of My Assignments/Poems shall be posted in this same section, so check back,

Poem-4: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roofers Like It Hot

So your roof is leaking
Professionally speaking

Similar to your loneliness, so compare
You’re in need of a new one, or repair

A new roof is happiness, a repair
has no warranty anywhere

Roofers like it hot
You can say a lot

From the rooftop you can peer
For the ground do not fear

The one rule is, before you are hired-
Before you hit the ground you are fired

It’s not the fall the hurts, drop
It’s the sudden stop

A metaphor for love, crop
A balance to stay on top

A man loves his job, serious and cherished
Skillfully he works until the job is finished

He is grateful for what he’s learned
For each dollar every day he’s earned

Your home is his home
Gazebo to a Superdome

So have one on the house
So you’re in no douse

With each nail that he pounds,
he gets closer to his grounds

http://www.originalpoetry.com/poems-from-the-school-of-poetry

WordSlinger... Couplets

This poem is so typical of your humor... and ability to use simile... how nice of you to point out for Reader that this poem is of loneliness/happiness as roofing.

With my first read, I note that you have been successful with using couplets, as assigned.... I just love them,... like little soul-mates, holding hands, skipping along.

Following the rules, I see that you have introduced Reader to your concept with an experience that is never pleasant, but a bit common... ie... a leaking roof, so I appreciate how it is relative to current life in leaking dwellings.

Going on, I see that you completely blend the beginning, very smoothly into the meat of this idea, that we must build our own protection from the harsh weather of circumstance? and repair the damages (forgive?) and of course, you remind Reader that there is No Guarantee, no matter how nice we are... that nice is all we will find.... for we will continually experience struggle, adversity to grow.

You bring Reader to conclusion of this analogy with the reminder that WE are building our own 'homes' of abode wherein we feel, whether they are of happiness or sadness, it depends upon that which we focus ?

I have one question... and that is line 13 ... did you intend to use "it's not the fall the hurts drop"
If so, interesting to use hurt as a noun !

Critique of Poem 5 by WordSlinger

Quote:

Poem-5
Write a poem with regulated syllabic lines: The poem should have 10 to 15 lines made up of verses with 8 or 10 syllables each: Regulated metric lines have the same number of syllables each--you have to chose a number
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gardens On Radio Waves

You have a pocketful of light
I’m flush, can you spare some tonight
You’ve said any where, anytime
I could, and it would be alright

What’s the rush, what’s the rush; can these
ears hear the reciting in a whisper
The poems lush, the poems lush; Guess I’m
in fear I’ am going to crush my dear

Oh Grace, let me see your hand, God
I want to play with your wand, God
I hope you do understand, yes God;
So you can find the lost bond, God

Before you do; can she recite before
I go? The Poem; Farewell to
The Weeping Rose

Hi, it's good to see you in class again, WordSlinger.

This Poem 5 is the first critique of the evening for me... and the first thing I do, is check the mechanics of the little car.... and I notice that it's missing.... maybe needs a tune-up?

I don't know if anyone else has commented on this poem yet, but I note the assignment states we are to use a consistent 8 - 10 meter count for each line... and the first 5 lines are exactly 8 meters... but from then on... the lines just wander around as if they're at the Huntington Library and there are 7 gardens...

It's a sweet idea you have here... but ok... the assignment needs to be more exact... I'll keep checking back to see if you shape up these hedges.

Critique of Poem 6 by WordSlinger

Quote:

Poem -6
Write a poem with regulated syllabic stanzas: The poem should have between 10 and 24 lines--there is a number of choices here within the number of lines depending on how many lines you have per stanza. You can use any number of even syllables within each of your lines, make sure they are an even number of syllables. You can use 4 to 5 stanzas within your poem--no couplets

Love stopped our speech into our kisses reach
Yes, the flame, undistinguished, and untamed
Gentle: This waterfall we are under
Warm breath, cool-cool water, bodies closer

Kisses with water under this nightfall
We; accomplices to our happiness
This is how we do feel, this is our seal
Water kisses, have you heard is proverb?

Kiss-spiritual into each other,
We kiss away, oh yes we kiss away
It is so hard to behave near the cave
So we do slip away, we slip away

As we kissed, she felt my grip around her
waste, healing the loneliness with our taste
Every time it shall rain, it will be our
embrace, and our look on our face, to trace

Poem-7 The Pantoum Form
The Kiss of the Goddess (Pantoum)

(the universe pounds and pushes the goddess madelynn)

The man you fell in love with smiles
as you read your prose and poetry
Universal-blessed a big step,
ahead of the metronome, you see

As you read your prose and poetry
every meaning turns me on
Ahead of the metronome, you beat
The swift-gift of the splendid swan

Every meaning turns me on
You are the unfastened swan of tales:
shall live on like the ancient whales

Poetry, and prose speaks out your name
because he has made love to your aim
Universal-blessed a big step

WordSlinger ...

I note immediately, that your Poem 6 has the 4 stanzas, which is the correct number of lines, but the beat, the meter count is not as per the assignment, which is to be varied, each line different, although each stanza will use the same odd line counts.

leslieAlexis did Poem 6 correctly, check he Poem out and then compare it to RHPeat's #6 poem, until you get the idea the repetition for each stanza, with different line counts. That is the mechanics here...

The message is a Love-treasure, of course.... perhaps you will consider trading this poem and using it for Poem 5 and then fixing Poem 5 for this assignment ?

**********************************************************************************

Critique of Poem 7 by WordSlinger

Quote:

Poem-7 The Pantoum Form
The Kiss of the Goddess (Pantoum)

(the universe pounds and pushes the goddess madelynn)

as you read your prose and poetry
Universal-blessed a big step,
ahead of the metronome, you see

As you read your prose and poetry
every meaning turns me on
Ahead of the metronome, you beat

Every meaning turns me on
You are the unfastened swan of tales:
shall live on like the ancient whales

Poetry, and prose speaks out your name
because he has made love to your aim
Universal-blessed a big step

WordSlinger -

I think you have having a difficult time with constant meter count.

Now, you know I love your poetry, and this is class. so I'm going to be straight....

please don't throw tomatoes...

this poem has too many different meter counts, although you *did* get the line repetition accurate.

I notice you're over in Balladeer's class of Meters, which is Just what the Critique suggests

And I notice you have your poems from his class listed here, with Grades even !

By the way... How did you manage to read all of RHPeat's new information, digest it and jam out a poem... ?????

And I would critique your number 8 poem... if I knew what I was doing... but I have no clue... yet.... see you soon as I figure out this new information ~

Critique of Poem 8 - by WordSlinger
Quote:

Poem-8 in the theme of always late for class'
Hollander's (little song) sonnet is made up of 13 lines of 13 syllables
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tardy, but Flew in on a Paper Airplane

Yes this move here, shall fly high; and this will sure pass
Skipping class, a meter, just may get a foot in my ass
Re-cycled piece of paper: This is my career
Yes, I’m about to fold into something special
Words are just as, like what, I ‘m a simile here
And when I’m done, Hey‘, you can toss me horizontal
Oh no, it’s better that you don’t even ask me why
I ‘am going to glide, glide, like a; as a aero plane,
Gently curve in the thin breeze, and raise to rise and fly
Long tail sturdy, stability wordy, that’s my name
I wouldn’t miss poetry class for the big blue sky
Yes, I sure do know what I am, it is so simple
Here is the principal, hold your tongue, and say apple

Reader begins this critique with a heavier heart than the poem... which was overlooked? ahem. The assignment is to find a HEAVY poem, of solemn nature? but this poem is breezy, too light to qualify.

However, I will continue and note the Form you have used is 13 lines, which is on target.... however, you did not use 13 meter counts per line... and so this did not pass. Of course, I wonder why the 13 is needed, wanted, but this assignment poem needs to be more exacting to the count.

The poem itself is, as mentioned...light... silly and shows Reader the glimpses of you that have become so well known...energetic, optimistic and willing to learn... Happy in a heart. ... so the Message is a Good one here !!!

Critique of Poem 9

A Moments Lock

A bellow, it’s a bellow, and it’s light
A peaceful place where no voice moves, it’s a
yellow, it’s a yellow, and it’s nice; these
blessings take years to rest upon and on

Yes, keep your heart up, moment to cherish
Makes one want to be a poet, a poet
Under nights skies, yes kissed under nights skies
Now I’m a blushing, flushing bellow breeze

Hi WordSlinger... I am here to critique and provide comments too. I love your heart, your poems are just fluidy dreamy, always rushing like a near waterfall... This poem form is Blank Verse, and your intent is perfect. I am poor in this department, but you sling the words our and gems show up, repeatedly. I will add that only lines 1, 3 and 6 are iambic, meaning the natural stress of accent is off for the other lines, which makes for a bumpy introduction for each line. The message of poetic breeze is true, for you..

Critique of Poem 10

El English

A Kabbalistic Balladeer
Repeat, there is an echo in here
It burns like wood, forever fire
Forever fire`~ el English ember

You want one to, become a member
A flourished Cousin blood Thought Caster
A new disciple in the watch
Bare down, show us your whittled notch

We do not use nails, we use screws
Like anchors deep, can’t be cut loose

Hi again, and here I am for Poem 10 critique. I note immediately that this poem is almost Perfect with meter... and is so much more consistent with syllable accent flow.than your poem 9... so I can see good progress. 2nd line, has an extra syllable, I'd take out (in), not needed and the line will flow better. Line 5 and 6 are out of meter. The message Intent of this poem is great, I love how you wrote of our teachers and included each. Good one smile

Poem # 11 - The Final Gesture of Goodbye (Stalling Time)

Three people ask for my advice
I smile with thoughts to disappear
Sure-they don’t ave to ask me twice

They have to make a decision
Hope they can clearly see and hear
Has to be done with precision

Wrap your thoughts around in your skull
Make sure your foundation is clear
Sharpen things forgotten and dull

On the count of three, state your voice
You have to face all of this fear
Cause you’re about the make your choice:

So you start with stones, shouting pain
Like a fat tick in an elephants ear;
That drives you completely insane

Horrible, hungry hordes so thick
Elephants crush the humans
The humans crush the fat ticks

The best out of three, take your fame
Never use dynamite, loose man
Forget not-life is not a game

Yes I can be cold as blizzards
I’m just here to give you a hand
I’m betting you’re throwing scissors

Cutting paper is your strongest
Pretty confetti stuck in stupid
Let’s see who can play the longest

The orange beats blue, blue beats yellow
Colors do change quick so loop it
And yellow beats orange my fellow
That is magic within lizards
This is a technique in wizards

Critique of Poem #11

Hi WordSlinger... I am here to critique for poem for class, and the first thing I note is that you have performed a complicated rhyme scheme, but it reminds me of taking one of those multiple choice tests and starting off on line 2 instead of line 1. Every answer would be both wrong, even though you knew the right answer. Similarly, I see you have worked hard to master the intent of constant end line rhyme change... but it is one line off... AND waaaaay too long, as the limit was 25 lines, although I also note you pulled in the correct ending of a quatrain, 4 line stanza. As I re-read this poem, I find the message is as powerful as the elephant to us and us to the flea, the changing strengths. Your message turns more human nature at this point, recoiling at what appears to be cruel words as an onslaught of attack, from three offering advice and your response is to be honest, to help with your view. I cannot, of course, understand the specifics of who said what, but it is clear that it is like a duel to the finish (who can play the longest), of wizards and lizards (swiftly fast ones?)... again, no specifics, they are your personal details, but it's interesting to watch you in word battle..

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem # 12 - A Poets Jig

Millimeters of poetic words march
Like happy puppies with tails that wag
So come on and walk through the arch

You can critique this unique splendid gar-
den; there are some thorns that like to snag

This craft is metals with epoxies art
Like turning rebar into a flag

Rare in boutique this antique shall wear hearts
Now come on, I don’t want to see you lag

And now I place in your minds’ hands rebar
Create something solid and shall not sag

Custom creation crimson like a star
This is big with a tendencies to gag

Critique of Poem #12

Hi WordSlinger, I am here to critique your Poem 12 for class, and I am so very happy to see that you have used the Correct Form of the three line tercet stanzas with the incredibly complicated rhyme and repetition.... so good job there. Also, you are really sharp and quick with using enjambment, another useful poetry tool. I did read the many comments by our teacher, and I will leave that portion of syllable stress to him and wander off into the land of your poem's intent and message, which was a light and fluffy homework assignment, and not difficult to understand your continued to desire to have poets join forces and make improvements...

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem #13 - Radiation Cemetery

(The Dead Zone-No Foreigners Aloud)

These are the hours when I do feel younger
Under the oaks, the new leaves have grown
Many years past since nuclear thunder

The birds are only missing these days known
I have no food for my bald dog Scar’o
We’re a gift to mankind a cornerstone

But now my radiation pills are empty
Filters, filters, what good are they now
It is fine, I guess to filter kinds like me

Truth, I don’t know how much I can allow
No one visits me through those open gates
I can’t even get scared by my shadow

Long ago I stopped scratching the dates
since, when I was a child of Chicago
No one visits me through those open gates

ever since the blue skies put on a show
These are the hours when I do feel younger
since, when I was a child of Chicago
Many years past since nuclear thunder

Critique of Poem #13

Hi again WordSlinger... I am with my magnifying glass, and the first thing I note is that you did not copy the Form Format exactly. I see that the rhymes were correct, and that you used the 1st and 3rd lines for your ending stanza... but the rule you missed is to use the 2nd line of each stanza for the 3rd line of the following stanza... making the poem even trickier. How did our teacher miss this error? Ok, going on...the message is of paramount import, and I appreciate that. Your gift to help Reader become aware is filled with energy and I applaud your direction.

Poem #14 - Sit Down and Sitar

Raga raga you are beautiful -yes
Sweet kiss to Soul and Blood; thy hearts open
to heavenly giggles, yes speak the bless
Precious drops of musical dew, ocean-

Kiss, sweat to Blood and Soul; thy hearts open
to those long bends and mends to the moons’ crest
Precious drops of musical dew, ocean
Wah wah in a vast clear Tabla Celeste

To those long bends and mends to the moons’ crest
Spraying sound mist of a divine giant
Wah wah in a vast clear Tabla Celeste
No nothing is dying, rooted reliant

Raga raga you are beautiful -yes
to heavenly giggles, yes speak the bless

Critique of Poem #14

Oh what an imagination you have, sharp ! Good title, and off into the land of loving, music style.... I have enjoyed your sonnet, with one question... wondering what the wah wah is, perhaps a musical instrument ? And thanks Aria, for the Indepth critique of this poem, and the slight change in that repeat line.

Poem #15 - With This Dance You Are My Country (sonnet)

Oh excellence we shall dance on the floor of fear
There are great things in life I am not allowed, and
I hear the call, despite anger and distress. Lear
me with my own lamp to light the way, I command

myself to overcome any darkness I am to face
Foundations of prayer, faith on faith, yes I do breathe;
And love where I only can relax and erase
all of these thoughts, sticky webs of mankinds' thick weave

For I reject, and I am convinced that freedom
for all is what thickens this blood, to hear infants
cry, to see the mothers nurturing our kingdom
The ballroom of war sways, in sync and infantry,

orchestrated by this belief, Oh Country hear
On excellence I shall dance on the floor of fear

Critique of Poem #15

Last edited by Springsize 05-30-2010 at 08:28:56 AM

05-01-2010 at 01:37:53 AM

Student Critiques for Aria's Poems

Critique ~ of Aria's Poem 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria

Poem I - At the Piano

Mirror on the parlor wall
what do you reveal?
A woman at the grand piano,
her grey hair wrapped in a bun;
shriveled hands
with gentle fingers on the keys,
she plays Schumann's
"Timeless" melody.

what do you reveal?
A girl at the grand piano
with swift young fingers
on the keys, her light
brown hair tied in blue ribbons,
she plays Schumann's
"Timeless" melody.

And yet another Critique ~

"I am going to don the green outfit of the surgeon and leave my emotions at the door, as I pretend that I do not know the poet of this poem", I repeat as I walk over to dissect this poetic assignment... scalpel in hand.

I think that there is a famine of anaphoras, in that neither poem offered in this class, has supplied (to my understanding) a decent helping of repetition in Both stanzas.

THIS poem does supply the two separate stanzas that differ and yet can be tied together because they are two views of a mirror, overlooking the playing of wonderous music on a large and even more wonderous gift of piano tones.

My mother played the grand piano and I also played, and I find the music is equal to only the ocean perhaps... but that was not the entire message of this poem, which was to me... that the mirror records time as a continuum rather than one event, and the Poet has recorded a blending.

Quote:

Dear Spring, Thank you so much for taking time to critique our assignments! I am grateful. I was following the instructions for the 1st poem - I thought. Please tell me what I can do to make it better? It's a new style for me...I didn't know the term" anaphora" until I wrote "Come Dance With Me" and Rhpeat commented it was an anaphora : ) Thanks again!

Hi Aria...
I'm a new student here... :D

I know very little of poetic teachings; but I did go to look at your poem of which you mentioned, and I read the comments by RHPeat RE anaphoras.

I could be wrong.... but I think anaphoras are a repetitious clause... and in your Dance poem, you were quite liberal with the repeated phrases....

And how can your poem be better ? Ok, well, now... I don't think that a lack of anaphoras for classroom assignment did lessen your poem, at all...
... and 'twas only the mechanical in mention, not your poem, as it's own invention.

Critique ~ of Aria's Poem 2

Quote:

Kyrie Eleison (Lord Have Mercy)

Let us live in the light, let us walk the path of peace.
Acceptance of each other is the key.
May we love one another, may love help us see.

May we not live in the dark, may we not each other harm,
forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves;
deep within our hearts, let us never harbor hate.

Kyrie eleison, alleluia, allelu,
Jesus said "love one another, as I have loved you."
Forgive us for we know not what we do.

The creator of the universe, we all speak His name
in one way or the other, in any language, still the same.
Kyrie eleison, alleluia, allelu.

May we walk in your light, may your light
shine on our path, may we know, here and now
"love is all, love is real."

Let love light our way, love help us know
the pain of our brother, in forgiveness perfect peace.
Kyrie elison, alleluia, allelu.

The novice of critique ~ continues ...

And... I will attempt to learn further. I find this poem fits the assignment requirements perfectly, and there are sufficient retrains, and an appropriate rhyme in both the 1st and 3rd lines.

The middle line is not supposed to be rhyming, but it is in stanza 1, 3, 4 & 5, and I don't know if this is within the requirements or not.

Now, the poem itself is sweet and the message is right on, Poet Person... and there is nothing better than bringing all religions into One and calling them Love... it is our quest, our unified desire.

In summary, I find you have performed the mechanics of this poem in high quality; while the message is timely and has universal value. I also find a loophole of thunder, calling off in the distance...

RE: Poem III - Aria - Invitation to the Masquerade

Aria ...

I have enjoyed your new poem that follows the requirements of the 4 line quatrain stanzas, and IS Conceit, specifically centering the entire poem of an illusive concept.
Also, you have created attention, you have blended the story, as we arrive and enjoy, experience, you close it all by having Reader leave one of the identities at the door, making us wonder, exactly, which is the real identity ??
I Love your imagery, to go to the party as a poet... that is just brilliant, I love it, and it so fits

Critique of Poem 4 - Aria's The Magician

Hi Aria ~ I'm here to critique~ your poem ... :D

The Magician, is a powerful beginning.
Entering the dimly lit vis

Last edited by Springsize 06-01-2010 at 11:36:05 AM

05-01-2010 at 01:41:51 AM

Student Critiques for leslieAlexis

Critique of leslieAlexis Poem 1

Quote:

Hello, All,
My name is Leslie Alexis, and I am a poet wannabe smile. I was referred to this group by the instructor. I am late to start, but I can catch up. I look forward to having some fun.

While playing basketball, I realized I gave 15 lines, which falls short of the required 16. Therefore I am reposting.

Assignment 1,
The Worm

Worm, o mighty is he
He ate the arm of a tree
So squiggly and small
He chomped and chomped it all,
Somewhat miraculously.
Worm, caught the lions’ tail,
Ate kings with teeth so frail
That they do not exist;
You don’t know when you’re kissed!
Worm, sets you off to sail.
Worm, look, the little bird:
A lion’s toe, a third,
He comes to chomp on you
One swallow, he doesn’t chew;
Worm’s fate can’t be deterred
To bird, the others referred…

Hi leslieAlexis ---

And Welcome ~ And I am glad that you have identified your work as Poem 1, which totally helps me look at it from the critique angle.

I have read your poem, and think you have followed the directions of two stanzas... which I can detect; although the system did not separate the two. Is that correct? That your stanza one ends at "somewhat miraculously" ?

Also, you have put the poem into the allotted line count, and have used the anaphora, and you did also used it in two opposing concepts... as the little worm eating the tree [what a monumental task, considering the little worm eats his-size tree, a little plant to us]... so I can identify with this as realism, although it is dramatically viewed.... and then you switch to a complete opposite view... ie... one of fantasy, in that the little worm eats the lions' tail and kings as well, ok... That is fairytale... so you did accomplish the opposing anaphora.

In looking at the poem from the beginning, I see that you have opened this repetitive type story with a lowly worm.... interesting.
Traveling further into your poem, I find your little lowly worm is not so lowly after all, for he has managed to take on the king of the jungle as well as the ruler of a country, which is a complete opposite swing of the pendulum to great and powerful... so I see you have blended your beginning part of the poem, easily into the middle portion.

As your poem ends.. you bring the entire story full circle and show the frailty of even the mightiest of Earth, that all have a predator, whether it is a lion or inevitable circumstances in the life of human... reminding me of that wonderful quote, "the best laid plans of mice and men are 'oft to go astray".

Interesting poem here seems to cover the complete assignment... although the adventurer in me would probably rather have seen the little worm continue to rule in some manner, as a fairy tale, of course....

Critique 2nd Poem 1 by Leslie Alexis

Quote:

Poem 1:

The Boys In The Library

I overheard them while in the library.
--Two young men of age eighteen.--
This was what I heard them say:
They said there are obnoxiously loud
They said they dress in saggy pants
And sit as if sitting on their backs,
The way a lazy dog would do;
They use women and keep no curfew.

They spoke of the younger brothers.
And spoke so badly of them, but
They said they too had many girls
And when I saw them they were slouched
And they were obnoxiously loud,
And with their pants, they couldn’t walk;
You should have heard them talk.
They said they’re going to party at two;
They find faults in what the younger do…?

Hi again leslieAlexis

I notice first that you have formed your poems with 17 lines, which IS, of course, an odd number... and still it falls within the rules of 16-20.

Also, you have successfully begun almost ALL of your lines with an anaphora (repeated) phrase... of "they are' so again, you have followed instructions.

Now... I am looking for the 2 part ambiguity and I think you have expressed this with your first stanza which infers a conversation about 18 years that are perhaps lazy or wear baggy pants... and then in the 2nd stanza Reader is aware that you are speaking as the younger brothers who look exactly like the ones in the first stanza. Each thinks the other is unkempt and does not fit it... So you have accomplished the goal of two different views that looked the same

Critique Poem 2 - leslieAlexis

Quote:

Poem 2:

A Kiss

They call it a kiss
A butterfly’s touch
The gentlest rest

They call it a kiss
A summertime breeze
The warmest caress

They call it a kiss
A drizzling rain
The heavenly dress

They call it a kiss
A sweltering sun
The desire for less

They call it a kiss
A bee's painful sting
The soul of true stress

They call it a kiss
Whatever it is
They call it a kiss

My initial count identifies 5 tercets, and 18 Lines, which fits within the requirements... all with a near perfect Meter count of 5, excluding Line 12 which has 6.

I do note that you have been extremely generous with the use of the refrain at the beginning of every stanza as well as (clever) ending the poem with the same.

Critique of Poem 3 - leslieAlexis

Quote:

Poem-3:

Kissed By a Shadow

And shadowy kisses fade,

Throughout the universe,
Only to be forgotten;

In my 1st glance, and count I note you have used used 5 quatrains and have 20 lines... so congratulations on the following of assignment rules,

and I note you've used a shadow as a conceit simile for a person, ie.. a Love...

and that you continue to use opening, turning point and closure with some ease.

And while the shadow seems always so mysterious and deep, I am wondering as to the depth of this shadow, though as wondrous as it seemed, like a mirage... was quite illusively empty and was, as your ending points out.. not very impacting to as to last an eternity... Interesting and good use of the rules.

Critique of Poem 4 - lesieAlexis

Quote:

Poem 4 Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation.

Beyond The Ray

What lies beyond the ray?
Beyond the making of day.

Is there more to this thing
That causes the cock to sing?

What might there be that light
Would look upon for light?

The depth of truth is relative
So, does light only grieve

Or maybe he stands proud?
At the top, he could be loud.

But light knows of greater than he,
For at the hour he fades humbly

To give the spot to a lesser man,
Day by day he does it by plan,

Whose? Light and light alone knows
But HE must glow more that he glows.

Ok... Reader does like the couplets and sees immediately that you have again complied with requirements, though you did scrape by here with a chin hair, at count 16. ...

and I think the ambiguity is the sun is a simile for Jesus?

Critique of Poem 5 - leslieAlexis

Quote:

Poem 5

Your Love Pours

Jupiter’s rings, if they were made of gold
I would place upon your finger, my love.
And not because the third can fit the space,
But because your heart fills it and gives more:
Beyond the band dewdrops of honeyed love
Pours… much like the oil of Elijah’s word;
Enough that from the excess I can use,
And stand in the assurance that there’s store.
The women of my past only gave drops…
That as drizzles in deserts during drought
Quickly dried on the arid surfaces…
And the ring they would use as a jump rope…
To dance away… but such is not your way,
And your love is topped only by Christ’s drink
And of the promises of both, I’m sure.

I am enjoying this poem that begins with Love and Jupiter...

noting that you again, made the count by a thin hair...,

and you have used the Meter count of 10 and once again, nearly flawless, except for the last line, is 2 syllables short.

I also like to do a strange and different twist on the ends of my poems, or inject an errant anomaly... and find that it can work sometimes, mechanically.

The Intent of your poem is to your Love... as you finding a 1000% more worthy partner than your previous experiences with love... and it is as if only Jesus or God may surpass your love for this one...

Critique of Poem 6 - leslieAlexis

Quote:

Poem 6

Cinquain: 6,7,8, 9,10 syllable
Rhyme pattern: a,b,a,b,b

Art

Though the tip’s dipped in ink,
The art looks like a squid sprayed
The colors, which are out of sync:
As if they were done by a grenade.
Lovers of torment it would serenade.

From abstract to absurd;
And carried by tidal waves
The artist uses trash to gird.
Idiot! A man by the name, Staves,
Shows many a plant growing out of graves.

He had too many turns.
Like a tornado’s winds blown
He took without any concerns,
Of things passed and those yet to be known;
Of all, why so crooked a picture sewn?

On each look, I see less…
Can it be knowledge is rife?
And wisdom is blamed for the mess?
For each man’s drawn knelt before a wife…
And he named the piece; he named the piece life.

I see that you have followed the mechanics impeccably... and you've demonstrated repeatedly that you both understand And can apply the various required forms by RHPeat.

This particular poem, is a mystery to me though.

And I understand that it is about art... perhaps it is very abstract art...

And though it is known that I can be slow like rock at times... perhaps you will help me understand further?

. thank you.

Critique of Poem 7 - leslieAlexis

Quote:

Poem 7

8-10 Meter

An owl soars over open sea
The fat blind bird in open range
He makes a scene, for he’s estranged.

The fat blind bird in open range.
The owl in the pacific air;
He makes a scene, for he’s estranged
He conquers every passing fear.

The owl in the pacific air.
The harsh sun and her seeping light;
He conquers every passing fear,
He travels both in day and night.

The harsh sun and her seeping light
He travels both in day and night,
The fire for an all owl buffet

An owl soars over open sea:
The fire for an all owl buffet,

Hi leslieAlexis

Well, I'm down to the last poem of your assignment here... and I am very entertained now because this particular poem form is Very Interesting.

First of all, I like how you have used nature.. and you have, of course, followed the rules with ease... even this most difficult of poem forms.... of using the previous stanza lines in subsequent stanzas.

And I did follow the story within your poem, and found it real and did enjoy your use of descriptions for the "fire" as the "owl's buffet" ... so I will assume that daylight is the enemy of the owl.

I say you did this most difficult poem with both mechanics and Meaning very well.

Caught in Folly (Lost in her Eyes)

Hollander Sonnet: 13 lines of 13 syllables each.

I was like an astronaut gazing toward the earth.
I was in awe at the magnificence before me ,
So I tried to walk in the direction of the sea;
(The brilliant green would surely give my life some mirth)
I was unsuccessful because I lacked gravity.
Akin to Jupiter’s they were parted by a ring.
The beautiful land seemed one of infinite spring,
In contrast to my place where winter reigned continually:
Fireflies don’t sparkle, bluebirds, nightingales never sing.
Coming closer I estimated what she might bring:
When she said, “Fool, leave me be!” I thought her words were lies.

Hi leslieAlexis... In reading your 8th Poem assignment I immediately note the discrepancy of line count, and specifically, lines 1, 4 have 12 syllables, lines 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12 have 13 syllables, line 8 has 15 syllables... so the poem could be more smooth with a perfect count. The message is interesting. I really like the fantasy of being on another planet where it's winter, desolate and looking across Jupiter's rings to where "she" is...but I really don't know what to make of her comment restricting your gaze even?, "fool, leave me be" is pretty rough speech... to wit you feel are lies from her... so you leave Reader very curious here..

The Truth

Writing Exercise: Poem 9:
Write a 10 to 18 line poem in blank Verse using your choice of iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter. Stanzas are OK. That is either 8 syllables or 10 syllables per line with 4 or 5 iambs respectfully for tetrameter and pentameter.

Iambic pentameter:: 17 lines.
4 quatrains and 1 cinquain.

The truth can penetrate your soul and mind.
Akin to flowers in the spring, it can
Relieve one of the stress within the day.
The truth as pixie dust is magic, yes:

Removing burden, truth makes worry free.
The truth as living waters gives new life.
A mountain, truth can easily move, and then
A mountain truth can easily build, it can!

Within its shield, no man can be condemned;
But if his truth condemns he’ll be condemned.
To such a man the truth is like a knife
That punctures heart and turns till job is done.

O’ speak the truth: the cost is what it will
My mother said when I was young, and oft’
My truth left me in tears: But now I’m wise:
My hands, they never move if they might twist
My tongue, as it is twisted now-- the truth…

This poem fits the Form requirements of line count, and perfect iambic pentameter, Except for lines 7 and 8, which hit a big rock in the flow road with the word "easily". It does not fit the iambic meter...The message of truth is always a good inspiration for a poem, to describe the road to honest dealings and better feelings.

Poem # 10

Pretty Birds Flocking

Iambic Pentameter. 10 lines.

Rhyme pattern: abbaCddCee

I saw a flock of doves approaching hills
As tall as Everest and so very green,
With herds of sheep that feed on the cuisine
Of water grass and lay amongst the daffodils.
I saw them flocking on a summer day,
When kids were home- for they were out of school
And as the children played they dropped their stool;
I saw them flocking on a summer day:
The greatest armies to have known the sky
I saw them flock... I waved hello – goodbye.

Ok, the line count is off in this poem, line 2 has 11 syllables and does not flow as well with the extra. Line 4 has 14 syllables, so that one is waaaay off count. Line 5 has 11 syllables. The poem is cute, but I would like to see your poem expressing more emotion. I do like your association with the animals, that part is a treat...

Poem # 11a

Iambic Tetrameter.

Floating Rock (Terza Rima)

It floats as gently as a feather
It goes again from side to side
It does not want to leave the ether;

This rock about thirteen miles wide
Descends the sky as if it’s but
A bubble boat in tranquil tide.

It’s making every man a nut;
The place it goes not one can go
The zig the zag, so is its strut

It’s coming we certainly know;
Such spectacle that all can see,
One brimming with smirky glow

That spans the times from birth in sea:
It has the skeletons of days
Those of the past and those to be,

But would it give us murky haze
Or give us light in places cold,
Or maybe it improves by blaze

As gold. Is it to love, to scold -
The human race is very bad
As told… Is it to push, to hold?

Is such the fate the dino’s had
That they are not with us today?
Although our time’s been just a tad
Although compelling is the sway
What really causes the delay?

Critique of Poem # 11a

Hi leslieAlexis, I am here to critique your latest poem, a changing rhyme scheme of tercets. I note immediately that you have been successful with the form, of perfect line count and the rhyme change. Your beginning, turning point and full circle are good, and your message is the look of human behavior and the choices made. Interesting analogy you have used with the same comet hurling toward Earth now, as the one that many in the scientific community consider to be the cause of the dinosaurs extinction... although they were not as deserving, as is the selfish behavior of "advanced and evolved" human kind.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 11 b. The metaphor.. chains are representation of everyone sleeping with everyone, in so doing they form a chain

Keep Your Chains (Terza Rima Sonnet)

Just like Facebook, cheap chains are the days trend
They’re swung like pendulums in the ghetto;
And rich Wall-Street has them, but they pretend

They don't-- They wear their Prada and stiletto
High heels, with chains hung down between their breasts:
In place like old tobacco in perfecto

Cigars, which soon leave stains upon the chest;
And one weak link can cause a chain to rust:
It takes but only one to spoil the rest.

Most certainly they'll fade like scraps of lust,
That’s why instead of chains I wear a ring:
Another’s weakness shall not bring me thrust

Or sickness -death: betrayal oft does bring.
So stick to chains, but to my band I’ll cling.

Critique of Poem 11b

Hi leslieAlexis... I understand the message of this poem, as fidelity is the key to Not being hoie in hoLand... but that one is as old as the Bible, and I was hoping for a newer edge than just the use of facebook (which is a New Insert).... but it seems there is more of the online than actual... as the new hoies don't actually meet and most of the new age thrust is via pictures and typing.... . Now... as to the mechanics ... which are needing correction. Lines 4, 6 and 9 have 1 (one) too many syllables (line 9 - spoil is two syllables). You have mastered the Form of this poem, and used a complete open, turn and closing, full circle, so good work there. Your syllable counts do need work to make your poem flow easier.... as well as the first words in each line should read with the STRESS on the 2nd syllable, not the first....

Poem # 12. It is written in Iambic tetrameter.

Adventure of Love (Villanelle)
I love you dearest wife of mine
And passing times say love grows more.
Within my heart, I’ve built a shrine

For love, and all the stock is thine
To take -- to fill it’s thine to pour.

Like winds, this love is not clandestine,
Like seas, of love, you can be sure
Within my heart, I’ve built a shrine.

And to my tongue, there is a line
That brings the freshness from the store.

Whose lips do sooth far more than wine,
Who gives her love with joy galore.

My Love, my love I can’t define,
Each time I think of you I soar

Critique of Poem #12

leslieAlexis... This poem is from your heart and sounds like it... good job of going inside and finding a STRONG and reverent feeling and putting it to your pen. As per the mechanics of this poem, I note that line 8 rhyme "sure" is a bad shoe fit, and does not quite rhyme. But... the rest is excellent and this is one of the hardest poems, I thought... having to repeat the first lines throughout the stanzas and keep the meaning flowing... and you did do this. Line 7 still has one too many syllables...

Poem # 13

Terzenelle
Ten thousand fell in front of me
Ten thousand princes in the ball;
Ten thousand tiny thoughts of she

Tiptoed across that gallant hall
But there they met with great surprise
Ten thousand princes in the ball

And she was jewel in their eyes:
Each man with mistletoe in reach,
But there they met with great surprise

Men richer in the art of speech
That woo immortal life to die -
Each man with mistletoe in reach.

Compared I am a pinned-down fly
But she chose me and gave a smile
That woo immortal life to die.

I went to drown in river Nile,
But she chose me and gave a smile;
Ten thousand fell in front of me
Ten thousand tiny thoughts of she.

Critique of Poem #13

You've mastered this poem, leslieAlexis, and it fits. I didn't like pinned-down fly, didn't feel like it fit, but the whole message is sweet and sincere..

Poem 14 Sontoum

Hooray for May (Sontoum)

December is always so very lame
Compared to May, when flowers bloom again,
Then I just sit and look for one to blame -
The poison Ivy, or bee’s precious pain.

Compared to May, when flowers bloom again
July is sad -- abundant, then, they fade:
The poison Ivy or bee’s precious pain
Will soon depart like summertime parade.

July is sad -- abundant, then, they fade:
Beach outings, birds and my courageous finds
Will soon depart like summertime parade
As Mother Nature pulls her winter blinds.

December is always so very lame
Then I just sit and look for one to blame.

Critique of Poem # 14

Hi leslieAlexis... this poem is a slightly new look on the seasons, but the blame is a bit misplaced... though quirky in a silly way. I like the best, when Mother Nature pulls her winter blinds... that's a good line. You did succeed in the Form of this poem, a difficult repeat and flow... so good job there too.

Poem 15

A Love that Blossomed (Shakespearian Sonnet)
We were best friends before we felt the love
Which came as unexpected rain or shine
And took our air as done to skies above
In sudden storm of heavenly design.

We were relaxing under June’s full moon
Inhaling night’s aromas and lovely sound
When our hands met and hearts caused us to swoon
With great delight what we ne’er sought we found.

What joy the moment brought in things unsaid
The times to then in flashback gave their say
Of written love -- which writers never read
Until the final--most important day…

The oath we made we daily reminisce:
Our love was stamped with a delightful kiss.

Hi again leslieAlexis, I see Aria has already pointed out Line 6, with should have one less accent.. Your message is a pleasant look of love, being noticed in innocence and savored until commitment serves as the binding of each experience after... really nice view of how love Should be for everyone... discovered, enjoyed and retained....

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 16

Just Seventeen (Petrachan sonnet)

Just seventeen she closed her heart to all,

Refusing ever ‘gain to feel the pain

She closed her soul to love — It was the strain

That made it right that she should take the fall.

He was short— handsome—ugly—fat—thin—tall,

He was black— white –MALE: cause of her disdain.

She was his toy, used time and time for gain –

His! Muffled none attended to her call…

Her makeup hid mascara tinted tears

And penciled smiles were drawn anew each day

Which gave illusion of contentment stored,

But look upon her well and see the years

In cracks defining broken vase of clay;

The net allows her to remain ignored.

One of your best poems, and the feelings are close to the surface, as if swollen with obstructions to be released... pressurized build-up... boils the protective mode in me... excellent expression of compassion in verse...

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 17

I Only Wish to Love You More (Sestina)

Complete describes you well but not enough
So too enough does not tell what’s in store –
Although astute, the tongue knows not the words
That brings to life the need within my heart
For you, yet every inch of me knows love
As cause to why I cannot --ever part.

Sweetheart let me inform of every part:
Of bodily share, the lord gifts you enough
To please- to overwhelm, the one you love,
And daily you divulge that total store:
The hugs and kisses birth within your heart,
To tell of their pleasure I have no words.

Could David in his songs contain the words
That might describe the luscious flowing parts
Of hair that leave your head by way of heart
And hangs as vines to hold just long enough
To tease one to explore what lies in store
Behind their shade… and Eden land my love

If found would be ignored to claim your love.
John Keats, Ron Peats, and Wordsworth-Shakespeare’s words:
Unseen gems-gold from all the planets store,
Palaces: Solomon’s temple found in part,
Or whole, with wealth for many lives – enough,
Would be refused, for place within your heart.

I find my fortune deep within your heart,
Where waters don’t rust but seed candid love
And I who seek does find more than enough
Of joy and peace within your humble words
That they do serve as the influential part-
The bang-creating all the care in store.

So babe, do walk with me toward the store
Where lovers go to show zeal in their heart
That banded we too might become one part
To grow, to fruit much greater in our love,
Therein we end this dilly-dally of words.
Of love-of yours, I’d never have enough.

The secret store which tells in full my love
And why the heart always falls short of words
Is MORE! In part, I don’t love-love enough.

The mechanics of your poem is (as Aria noted) off meter count and flow in many lines... howEver... the happy joy of love is all over the page... new love, as mentioned... newly discovered, pleasured... is magnificent in it's vein... sharing and receiving perfect measurements between two ... as an old, old woman of at least 322, I'll add that time ripens the pleaures a thousand fold... differently and majestically....and may you enjoy the journey with your new bride... :D

Poem 18

Tuanortsa is a free verse form that reads forward and backwards—

I am the wind vane (Tuanortsa)
I am the wind vane
I wait upon you wind
To turn-
You are my energy.
I need what you give
To be me -
I am the wind vane.

I am the wind vane
To be me
I need what you give:
You are my energy.
To turn
I wait upon you wind.
I am the wind vane.

I see that you have mastered this poetic form, of simple in a complicated form... to read a poem in both directions is fun... and you easily mastered the key to do this... and your poem message is a bit unique... I like that...

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Last edited by Springsize 07-05-2010 at 05:23:09 PM

05-01-2010 at 01:43:08 AM

Student Critiques for Forestbird

Critique of Poem 1 - Forestbird - Mountain and Desert

Hi Forestbird

I'm so happy to have another join us in the learning of poetry, and I note that you have already posted Poem 1 assignment

I'll critique~ is as best I am able to understand.... and if I misjudge, please let me know... as this is part of the learning process also, to dissect other poems.

Error Alert ? Line 6... is the intended meaning sand as in desert sand? or send?

Going on...I immediately note that your title is attempting to fulfill the obligation of ambiguity, that you used the correct number of lines within the directions, (20), and that you have divided these into four stanzas of four lines each.

And as I begin to read your poem, I am overwhelmed by the anaphora, that jumps out at me. I see that you have used this device at both the beginning And the ending of your poems, and you have done so with more than one line.... so very interesting. ( ie... line 1, 4 repeated with a sneaky change in line 4) and then (line 5, 8 repeated verbatim) IN the first two stanzas. Then, in the last two stanzas (line 9, 12 repeated again, with the change in line 12) and finally, while maintaining the integrity of the last set of anaphora, you change the line position to the first two in the last stanza, (line 13, 14 repeated with the last change in line 14)

So much for the mechanics... and now to the meal... This Reader is impressed to find love is the simile with nature in your poem... and that you have used the poetic form of asking questions, in the first half of the poem,... and then, as in the assignment, you reverse the intent and Answer the questions.

How much do you long to have your love? To climb a mountain is pretty serious... but you remind Reader, you need only jump in your car to find your love's hand... and then you circle back to the point of ambiguity and stresses that it is the Heart that is the hard part... ie... climbing a mountain.

05-01-2010 at 01:44:09 AM

Student Critiques for Kabbalistic

Critique of Poem 2 - Fellow Traveler by Kabbalistic
Hi Kabbalistic ~

I like that you have posted your Poem 2 here... knowing Full well that my near-drone will use it for learning purposes...

::: looking for Poem 1 assignment :::

Reader enters your poem as a hitch-hiker, traveling like a hat, watching as you begin Your Poem 2 - Fellow Traveler

It is immediately obvious that you have used the Three line Form (called Tercets) and that you have used a Refrain (your use of Virgin in several lines)

I, as DNA from a vast lineage of numbers people, did immediately count your total poem lines as 24, and compared it to our assignment range of 15 to 18 lines.
Ok, I admit, I ... myself, in Poem 2... did step out of the box and threw in an anomaly, one line over... so I cannot really throw a judgment rock at you....

I am looking to see if you have used the 3 Parts of Opening, blend to change, conclusion as Finale~ ... and you have ~~~

..and I have viewed your poem as a great Love song to your Heart's ever-ness... it was so very vague ... beginning and throughout the poem... I could understand that you were speaking to someone familiar... Your emphasis on the Refrain of virgin is interesting, as you are using it for the compass, during your travel saga d you and she, marking the words in the the beginning, change and then as ending, and strangely ambiguous, a virgin ever...

You begin, identifying a relationship that has experienced some Harsh... betrayal ? no details afforded, except that it is a foundation, called forgiveness, [fair play, where one may build a whole cabin on a good foundation of trust]... and your travel (down the road of time), shows the abode has been stamped from original blueprint plans of Life, and meant to be ?, seems like to me... yes, and here is the foundation that is Physically made... for it was first made in the thinking as an Idea or Creation's Thought... now it is in action ... no longer a blueprint on the table either, it is moving into being.... and the road does twist and has rocks, 'n maybe a hole? not totally smooth, but there is commitment, which is how you end this Love Poem... as you pledge to spend a virgin forever... new beginnings, always.

05-01-2010 at 01:45:58 AM

Student Critiques for kah

Critique of Poem 1 - by kah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Poem 1
Hope I'm not too far behind! I got a late start to school this year!
kah

The Evening Does Glide

The fish are swimming elegantly
Catching my eye with their graceful turns.
Do they realize they are caged?
I am drawn to their fluid movements.
As they swim, the day slides away from me;
Better than an amber shot of relief
These sleek-finned beings.
Water sounds lull into evening’s gentle glide.

The fish are floating belly up
Catching my eye with their stillness.
It’s sad to be dead in your cage.
My staring missed something;
Watching is not the same as seeing –
What does it mean that I see you now?
Sleek-finned and floating
With me into evening’s gentle glide.

Critique of Poem 1

Hi kah ~

... so happy to see you here in class....

I have read your first assignment and I am really happy that you successfully caught the idea of the ambiguous two stanzas, which you did pen perfectly, as the two views in the two stanzas were completely opposite.

However, as Aria mentioned, the anaphora is missing...

I want to love
I want to kiss
I want to hug
I want to sing
I want to dance
I want to be

I guess you get it now... it only took me two weeks... and about 16 poems... but I can see it as an effective tool, when a certain thought adds with repetition.

Critique of Poem 2 - by kah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Poem 2

To Whom It May Concern

I’m writing this letter to you, as to you it may concern;
A dark ominous dawn opened my ordinary day
Black winged creatures fled the trees, dismayed.

My tread was heavier, my thoughts dread filled;
Seems this entire era howled out despair!
In search for doors, we found despondent air.

So tell me, Leader, what comes this way?
Should I take flight, should I stay?

I left the constructed safety of boxes -
I heard swirls of things not always considered.
“End of days”…”punished for evil ways”…such things uttered.

My coffee stop was deserted – no need for caffeine it seems.
People vibrating with the energy surge, though no more awake,
Still denying, broken hearted, losing their spiritual stake.

Should I take flight, or should I stay?

I believe they all expect a significant crashing
Something to call them all home, bring thunder to bear.
I knew it was to be quieter, not an action but a repair.

For what time is more broken, in need of a galaxian fix?
Above my insignificant breath, correction takes wing –
Hear the devout lift their voices…hoping mercy will sing.

Should I take flight, or should I stay?

Hi kah . . .

This poem is a bit different, the title is Unusual and I like that.

And, as usual, I see the motor of this runner... and it didn't take me long to see that you had been successful with the strange tercets, except that you didn't continue throughout the whole poem in this vein.

And it's probably deliberate, as I do see a distinct pattern... interesting deviation of the rules.

And now, for the message...

the poem is foreboding ... signs of pending problems for the whole planet public concern ?
Good thought of empty coffee shop, not spiritually awake... and then I like your concept "repair"... for that is a thoughtful course... galaxian fix (made a new word) . and I wish I could find the Leader to lead us through this... I don't know where else to go though... we're all in the same lifeboat.

modern society has an Oil Addiction ... I like the new inventions of solar and wind ... such promising glimpses of an exciting future...
and I like your poem, kah... that initiates direction.

Critique of Poem 3 - by kah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Poem 3

Poem 3: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines that is a conceit. That means the complete poem will be based one metaphor. The opening should set up the premise for the poem. It could be just the title like: R. Burns poem “my love is like a red red rose.” Where he makes the statement in the title and then goes on to speak about the rose as his love. But the title does not have to state the premise but at least it should be present in the first stanza. Write the poem in quatrains. The closure should relate to both sides of the metaphor in some way without revealing the deeper meaning of the poem. The closure needs to tie the opening and turning point together in some way to form a new concept

I hope I got the understanding of a "conceit" as a poetic term correct. Is my metaphor clear? Not too sure I understood the job of the closure as defined above...

A Conceit

I am celestial in my little death
Roaming through velvet eaves.
Each fold of time mine to leap,
Deep night sky touching my skin.

No gravity to keep me tethered.
I design my own spatial shell.
Unknowable, beyond common
Words or intuition.

Radiance coats me hazy gold
I’m a heavenly body up for veiwing
I feel eyes upon me, silken'
Now I burst into full color!

Time to alight, for awakening nears
See the Ruler rise? He paints a sky surreal.
Chastised, I breathe out my last stars
Open back to my little life.

Poem 3 kah

You have been so Busy and Quick !

Immediately I like celestial little death... and then velvet eaves? and I like that one.

I read the whole poem and I just like it... it seems like a day dream, but your descriptions are surreal, as if you closely see them... less dream them.

But, don't ask me if it's a conceit... I'm still slow with the names, labels and how they all are different...

I totally like your ending... .. ... "breathe out the last of my stars" is interesting, let go the high dreams? returning to small, miniscule life..

maybe everyone has felt these things... running through velvet eaves .... wanting answers...

Critique of Poem 4 - by kah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Gosh, this is so difficult for me!!! Never realized how much I hate "rules"!

Poem 4: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation. Or let the opening and turning in the poem be extremely different within the presentation so they don’t appear related to one another in any way at all. Let the poem be equivocal in thought and vision. Stay focused on the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware that the ambiguity has to be constructed in a manner that will offer content within the reader; allow for discovery on the readers part. Understand that ambiguity doesn't have to be on every stanza of the poem as long as the is carried throughout the overall presentation.

Poem 4
The Gift

Goblets sit hollow, holding promise
Whispering sacred songs for other’s notice.

There is much variety among those vessels
Each carefully designed to cradle the blessings.

Not meant for vacancy these fertile cups,
Repel tainted fingers; only the pure may touch.

Enter the rapiers, gleaming and straight,
Brimming with character of strength, weight.

Each bold blade will find the proper seat
A table will be set; chalices, knives, complete.

Proper use of such common utensils
Protect each other – avoid pretenses.

The effort borne here will create a great gift -
Goblets will hold what the rapiers impart swift.

In time, overflowing, spilling life fruit
Chalices will empty, fulfilling their use.

Silver light bathes, the cycle completes.
The cups will return, placed again at the seat.

Mighty swords will be cleaned gleaming
Awaiting these hallowed goblets, dreaming.

The gift lies not in the song or dance:
It resides in the union, the striking of balance.

Reader sits calmly before the new assignment... entitled "The Gift".... and here comes flavor.

Three readings later and I can see the ambiguity, where the goblets are vessels of Life... so A+ on this part...

I like this thought that opens the human soul to all, ready to be filled. Your line ""In time, overflowing, spilling life fruit, Chalices will empty, fulfilling their use" is one of my favorites here, as it expresses our energies spent.... or maybe the nexxt line, "the silver light bathes"... to compare the cleaning of the gobblets, to the make ready for the next "filling" or experience.... culminating with the best of endings, where the real treasure found in the gobblets are the sharing and, with balance, equal care.

The Form you have followed perfectly, and the meter count is not involved in This assignment... and I can see that you followed the opening, turning point And then ended with a full circle, as if to explain (hiddenly) what the gobblets really are.

Poem 5

Critique of Poem 5 by kah

The Six Napoleons
I can hear them preparing for battle
In the small War Planning room just below.
Steady murmurs of strategic battles
Punctuated by sharp words of dissent.
Six little generals fight for the top spot –
Their very honor and manhood hanging
Above the circle of their heated talk.
Who will lead the first face-off tomorrow?
Which soldiers best chosen for their front line?
They decide the fate of their brave units
In the basement, among the dust and bugs -
Tomorrow: Pokemon battles begin!

oh kah... you are the imp, aren't you. WHAT FUN !!! and what a great imagination you have. In total critique, I must also mention that line 5 has 11 syllables, and little could be shortened to 'lil... ? The remainder of the Form is excellent, as per the assignment, and Mostly, you have also entertained Reader !

Poem 7

WRITE A PANTOUM - Writing Exercise 7. 10 syllables per line

This Little Girl
She was a bright child with a quick mind

Thought to slow down her endless desires.
Sweet, engaging, she made friends easily.

Thought to slow down her endless desires,
Her parents forbid her to go to school.
Sweet, engaging, she made friends easily

Her parents forbid her to go to school
This little angel learned life from the living.

Of one particular favorite old man.
This little angel learned life from the living
Never knowing she was a good teacher!

Of one particular favorite old man
She knew a secret that she longed to tell.
Never knowing she was a good teacher
She gently whispered into his old ear -

"I know a secret that I long to tell!"
He bent closer still, anxiously waiting.
She gently whispered into his old ear:
"You are my own grandpa! I love you so!"

The gentle grandpa gave her a small squeeze.
She was a bright child with a quick mind.
Sweet kiss on his cheek; He's glad she never

Your message stands out like a brilliance of heart, and needs first mention. How adorable is this entire thought, from the goodness of a child's heart... really special, and allows Reader an even closer view of you. The mechanics of this poem have already been noted by the Professor and Mary Ann... wait...wrong script... ok.. here it is... the Professor and Aria... and so I don't have to bring that issue to the chalk board... yeaa. So in conclusion, I love your poem, your heart is sweet and your focus near perfect.... And you managed to come around full circle with a poignant finish.

poem 8
Writing Exercise 8 John Hollander invented a great little song form (sonnet) that is written in syllabic meter

On Love and Other Variables
Skies I have witnessed in startling electric blue

Only to transform with waves of violent violet hue.

Peaceful breezes I have felt that caress and subdue

Then change in fickle whims to lash wildly in rue.

There is no shortage of examples denoting change

Of nature’s fickle nature exacting her revenge.

Childish it may seem as I think on love and how

Wholly I succumbed, without question taking the vow.

I knew I would honor my words; was certain of you

Imagine when I learned how like shifting winds you blew.

My sky turned turbulent, the ground underneath churned

The center I cleaved to brought pain as I was spurned.

Now I am the changing shade of violent violet hue.

Hi kah, I am here to use the class critique for your poem 8. The first thing I note is that your poem rhymes, and I went back to look at the the teacher's directions and could not find the information I previously read... but I was sure he wrote somewhere in BIG letters not to use rhymes. I am not good at this type of Free Verse, and struggled. Well, perhaps I am wrong and rhymes are ok for a "John Hollander" poem. Your poem was limited to 13 line, so that was exact. Now, as to 13 syllables per line. I note on line 2 you have used the words "violent" and "violet" as if they were one syllable words, and they both sound like one syllable words, but there are three syllables, dictionary-wise... so it comes out adding too many syllables to this line. I have trouble with accent and common pronunciation, so I use the internet dictionary to identify the "accepted" syllable counts of each word I use. I know there are times when I am able to use an apostrophe ' to shorten a word, like you all for y'all, so there are ways to get around the syllables... but it's not easy to bend them to fit sometimes. Lines 4, 7, 11 and 12 only have 12 syllables, line 8 has 14 syllables, and line 13 has the same problem as line 2 with the violent and violet syllables, too many. You did open and then provide a smooth turning point and full circle back to the beginning, so you have mastered that technique of open, move and closure, smoothly and matching, blending. Your message is as the teacher requested, deep and meaningful.
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Poem 9

Write a 10 to 18 line poem in blank Verse (no rhyme) using your choice of iambic tetrameter (4) or iambic pentameter

The Dance of Love's Most Perfect Blade

You take this blade and dig it deep

Into my lovely breast. You twist

and turn repeatedly, in this,

the dance that you have chose. Now turn!

Dig in! Delight in deep’ning pain!

You feel the dance become intense -

Hold on to me, lest I should fall,

Your careful plunder just a game

To soothe your aching soul. Upon

My chin you touch your lips to taste

the blood that flows. Be gentle now

as I am faint and in your care.

Remove your knife with softest hiss,

And hear my heart that beats so loud.

Your tears for me, they do not fall

but drip from knife as poison rain.

You please yourself as I then slip -

A heap upon the bloody ground.

Hi kah... I'm glad you're moving along the assignments. I really like using NON-rhyme for the first time ever.. and it was hard to make it meaningful... but I discovered that the same beat, rhythm like Aria's horse moving along or WordSlinger's music... I note the constant flow option in this Blank Verse... AND you have been successful in the iambic tetrameter count of 10 beats per line... And you have crafted many enjambments, so the flow continues with purpose and ease. The message is harsh, an emotional kill.... where death takes longer than Jack the Ripper's quick slices... the emotional ones seem to weaken and cause a long-suffering dying, harsh, and more common than should be, so good capture of the feeling there.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 10

10 lines iambic pentameter. 2. Two enveloped quatrains and one couplet. 3. Rhyme Scheme as follows: (abba cddc ee.)

Turn Away

What have you left for me to call my own?

My sorrow grew from love removed in whole;

You had no heart inside your broken soul.

Instead of time easing my ache, it’s grown.

Now here you stand before me with your tears

To plead with me for mercy on your ways

Your naked need pulls me into a daze.

You say you miss our love, my arms, those years…

No longer can I trust the words you say

With great despair I choose to walk away.

This poem is harsh... written in soft tone... you've mastered the assignment, perfect abba rhymes, and the mechanics fit, with open, as a question, turning point as a confrontation with decision, and closure... the decision to not return to where love did not burn steady.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 11

Terza Rima: A verse form consisting of tercets or three-line stanzas, in which the second line of each rhymes with the first and third lines of the next. The series ends with a separate line that rhymes with the second line of the last stanza.

Streetwalker

You often see her walk along the street.

She radiates something you cannot name.

If only you could gain a chance to meet

this beauty who was born against the grain.

Her lovely eyes stay focused on the way

ahead; she does not see you yearn in vain.

You watch her hips so captured by their sway.

What’s this? She turns her head a little bit

and bats her eyes at you! Now dare to play

the age old game of love! Pursue, not quit,

with confidence. Imagine then your deep

chagrin - her smile’s not for you! Submit

to shame a burning heart that longs to weep.

You turn away to hide your tell-tale blush.

No other sees the secret you would keep

of hidden love; an unrequited crush!

Your poem begins with a jolt to Reader's world, as the title alone is a different forte of your pen... and I note that you have written with apt Ms. Manner's grace of the she and he of "street life". Your mechanics are almost perfect, except for line 12, which is missing one beat. You do Really well with the use of enjambment at the end of your sentences... and you have the 3 of open, turn and closing... The Message is probably experienced more than once a day, I would think....

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 12

VILLANELLE — is a 19 line poem with five triplets that interlock and a final quatrain; the 1st and 3rd lines of stanza one will repeat as refrain-lines alternately in the following stanzas and then both are repeated within the closing quatrain

Fantasy of You

The sweetest visions fill my mind with you

Completed by designs within my womb

Which burns as secret passions often do.

The times we’ve spent embraced are very few

My fantasies seek flesh within our tomb -

The sweetest visions fill my mind with you.

Your stroke, so real inside my mind, I knew

that I was lost to love that could consume,

Tonight is for desires that construe

to suffer me that ache and violent bloom -

The sweetest visions fill my mind with you.

Perhaps I’ll gently touch where you once drew

your kiss, caress, in wishful lover’s swoon,

My breaths escape to seek a way into

the center where our love is sun and moon!

The sweetest visions fill my mind with you

____________________________________________________________________________________

Hi kah... the mechanics part of this poem is almost perfect, except for line 11, the word "violent" is actually 3 syllables, even though it is often pronounced as 2 syllables... You did manage to use the refrain lines, repeating, while keeping the content current and flowing... so good work there... it's not an easy one, eh? This poem form was Very difficult, for me. Your message, throughout this repetition of passion, implies a continued "look" for the spark, that once was so nicely there, (even if in fantasy day/night dreams, it would work) but is as if currently is masked off, and the passion is held in limbo.

Poem 14

Awake - A Sontoum

Awake this day, look hard at what you see
Are you fulfilled with all your life has wrought?
I wonder if this place was meant for me -
Not just some web in which I’m firmly caught.

Are you fulfilled with all your life has wrought?
Today you choose to keep your place with me
Not just some web in which you’re firmly caught -
But what about the love and poetry?

Today you choose to keep your place with me
Sometimes to heal means letting go of dreams.
But what about the love and poetry?
Perhaps we stay for more than what it seems.

Awake this day, look hard at what you see
I wonder if this place was meant for me.

Hi kah, I see you have fulfilled this Most Difficult assignment with perfect meter. You followed the directions to a T and you added somber introspective contemplation to a short poem, delivered with real meaning. Your poems have become more refined in mechanics, while your messages remain pointed and observing.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 15

Shakespearean or English sonnet, written in iambic pentameter. Divides into three quatrains (four-line groupings) and a final couplet, rhyming

Sonnet No. 1

The ghostly wraiths of things now gone desire

to meet in haunting song; In doing such

creates within a force compelled by fire.

Now sing they will lest I forget the touch

of all that I still need. But time has gone;

Their song falls deaf upon my depths and all

desire lies still. While passions rest I long

for something more. Is this new life a pall

upon my self? A lack resides in me.

The call of sensuality disdains

my own forsaken dream. I long to be

complete! My aching need flows out my veins

to join eternal flow. Alone I knew

the whole of all; in hope I wait for you.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Ah, kah... you have created Shakespearean ... from your view... a soul-searching piece as usual, from you... "a lack resides in me" seeming of helpless... is a powerful description.

Poem 16

Petrarchan or Italian Sonnet — The rhyme scheme of a Petrarchan Sonnet is a little more difficult than the Shakespearian Sonnet. The first eight lines equal two quatrains (a b b a, a b b a) called an octave. The last six lines form the sestet. In early sestets the lines equaled two envelope tercets

Sonnet II

From salty seas, from power’s tease, a spark

of sacred majesty. Supplied with time

an unknown mode creates a life sublime.

Emergent grace will grow from blinding dark.

Abundance flares in fertile ground; extends

beyond that lonely bed of primal birth.

We all become the vibrancy of earth!

The bond that binds us all to life depends

in full upon the oldest mystery.

The building blocks are part of us; our breath

our blood, our flesh, our soul! A destiny

is built for each within eternity.

Do not forget how we began for death

is wrought with our demands of selfish need.

______________________________________________________________________________________

kah, you have mastered the mechanics of this complicated piece... and you have crafted appropriate rhymes.... and while the words make sense, have meaning and are wise... I do not feel your usual passion that bleeds... it is almost as if you wrote this as a factual scientist. Except for Line 13, which is incredible.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 17

The sestina - form as follows: 1. ABCDEF, 2. FAEBDC, 3. CFDABE, 4. ECBFAD, 5. DEACFB, 6. BDFECA, 7. (envoi) ACE. . In place of a rhyme scheme, the sestina relies on end-word repetition to effect a sort of rhyme.

To Heal

Let go, my love, uncage the joy that I can see

which cries for recognition! Though you desire

to deny that depth of being, there will be no rest

within your heart without connection. Give

up your tender pain, let love in again. I am one

who holds the same exquisite ache.

Seems we gave equally - those deeds, this ache

that still remains. Let go, my love, look deep and see

all I am for you. Give of yourself, be the one

to mend what has been broke. Dare to seek desire

that consumes! Erase the past! Burn anew! Then give

way, continue. I wait in painful silence for rest,

wearied from healing. Why not release the rest?

I am the consciousness of all; I know the ache

span the time that grows between. Can you give

into the need, my love, let go? Can you see

I am the ocean? I am the breeze? I am all desire

that will ever be? Share the flow of breath as one

with me. Set the knowing you hide free - you are the one!

Breathe with me… my tender mind, open the rest;

as you fill me, so I fill you. There is no more to desire;

we are complete. Time loses all meaning, pain loses all ache.

Let go, my love, of carnal shells. You have no need, you’ll see;

Your spark of life, united, needs only to give!

Each breath you take, I take; Let blood cease its flow - give

up the crush of flesh entwined – the ecstasy of souls-as-one

will sate what’s long been starved. Let go, my love; see

how you are all you need to be. Now seek to rest

your mind. Feel our shimmer with sweetest ache,

to expand like breath inhaled! All brilliance, all desire

will light eternally the path you seek. Your desire

to be all will draw me near. Awakened so, I will give

the stars my eyes, the moon my light, the ocean my ache;

Mortal needs drop ‘way as celestial cycles make us one

and whole. Within spiritual glow, find rest

from pain. Let go, my love, let go…I am all you see.

I exist in your desire, I look through you to see

my ache so gently eased. Now I glow with all the rest

you seek to give to me. We become the infinite one.

kah, your heart is beating, bleeding little heart-wants all over the page, and this poem is sincere, you hit the mother load of veins and there is no scientist writing this one... but ... this poem is choppy.... sighs. the intent in my sestina is homeless and I should replace it with something with more feeling... you're really Good at expressing feeling...

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 18

A Tuanortsa is a free verse form that reads forward and backwards— line by line. The form starts and ends with the title of the poem.

All This While Dreaming

All this while dreaming

Streaming before my eyes!

Glitter littered snow fields

Delicately lace dust frills

Melancholy daisies

Call out today, crazy!

I touch the glow of daylight

Sink into cloudless flight…

Dizzy vapors wisp by

Amazing creation

From my mind

Given to imagination

All this while dreaming!

kah, your short version of daydream is sweet, near magical with lace dust frills... that's a wonderful description.... and yet another accomplishment of assignments.

Poem 19

The Triversen. The Triversen is: 1. accentual. The rhythm of normal speech, employing 1 to 4 strong stresses per line. 2. stanzaic, written in any number of tercets. Each tercet is a sentence broken into 3 uneven lines. 3. grammatical. A sentence is broken by line phrasing or delineating or sense units. 4.unrhymed. 5.alliterated.

Damn It

Oh, I am a fetching thing,

a delightful doll

that all would dress at will.

Oh, my words are a balm

to the lonely liquid ache

of a one- eared man.

I want to be known

for something sweeter

than luscious letters.

Soul talk, star light, please!

Everyone wants the fiery flesh -

guess that’s all I’m good for.

Oh I’m a fetching thing -

no not really, just a coin

that's been rubbed wrong too often.

Oh my words are a balm

that slicken my skin

as I die within a little more.

I wanted a moonbeam

to shine on me and see

more than my skin.

Soul talk, star light, please;

I just didn’t know my pain

was meant to stand alone.

Incredible. Maybe the best I've read by you. Simple, and yet the metaphors are brilliant and unusual and new.... I won't dissect the message, it is so immensely personal, visual.... shows the beauty flowing right out of you...

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Poem 20

Accentual trimeter

This is a poem written in accentual meter - two accents per line - 15-20 lines long. The inspiration was my high school sweetheart

I Was His World

I was the girl

with the squeaky shoes.

The one with books,

glasses…brains, too.

It worked for me

until I met you.

You were the boy,

sexy eyes, blue.

You were the dope

dealer, too.

I liked the high

the sex, new friends.

At sixteen, the party

never ends -

Until I woke up

and broke your heart.

kah, this message poem is honest, and real... But... the meter is not perfect... specifically Lines 2, 6, 13, 15 all have 1 extra accent, Line 10, 14 have 1 less accent than should be. I totally love the style of four lines, 2 lines... very creative, like your descriptions !!!

Last edited by Springsize 07-05-2010 at 04:41:32 PM

05-01-2010 at 08:35:47 AM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: Kah's student critiques

Aria's Writing Exercise 8
Working towards the sonnet by RHPeat

John Hollander invented a great little song form (sonnet) that is written in syllabic meter. I say "little song" because that is what sonnet means: little or short song. Of course a sonnet implies a lot more and many other things as well. But that is for a later date. Hollander's sonnet is made up of 13 lines of 13 syllables. Try to keep it focused on a central idea, theme of some sort dealing with one of the primary aspects: of life, birth, death, love, first love, lost love, Mother, Father, the seasons, or a season, or even a renewal or something ancient. It's a matter of using some heavy subject matter here in this exercise while keeping the lines/verses to 13 syllables. A Hollander sonnet isn't the difficult to write but to pull it off with a strong turning and a great closure is quite another thing in 13 lines devoted to a very heavy subject that shouldn't be treaded lightly and yet offer a unique insight.

Wildflowers

They say she sings a song of wild-seed and wild-flowers.
Upon the wind, her mournful voice is heard in dark hours.
In a time, not very long ago or far away
her people praised the earth, sun and sky and newborn day.
Upon their land, the strangers with strange ways quickly moved,
put up fences, killing a way of life which was good.
The old chief, her father, her husband and her brothers
rode ponies out to ask they share with one another.
On nights when there is no moon, her grieving's heard afar,
a lonely cry for her brave, dead many moons before.
Her black hair falls upon her shoulders, ebony lace,
of a mantilla that shrouds her sorrow and her face.
She sings of red blood spilled, the wild-seed of wild-flowers.

Aria, it seems to me you fulfilled the assignment perfectly! As for choosing a heavy subject matter, you succeed beautifully! I love this poem - it is touching and many layered: you write of being broken-hearted, and also of a people being broken and lost. I hope you post this on your page so others can read it! I give you a 10!!

=============================================================

Wordslinger critique
Weather Report by Kabbalistic

Gee, thanks WS - gotta find my brain AGAIN - you blew it away!! LOL - you do have a way with language and imagery! Nice -

WordSlinger: I am here for class, because I want to`````become a better poet, so I need to stop writing poems like this, I am wide awake, thank you much.......

PSALMS IN CALM PALMS

King David was like a white raven
For a while I’ve been a logophile
A lexicologist if you wish
Words are like venom or an antidote,
I’ am like their vendor, it’s a facto’
I sling words for the masses
Shaking all of our poetic asses
Creating product out of environments
I’ m one little word slinging giant
with a calm palm winging my aplomb

I express myself well
I do like to time travel
I have hands of the air
I ‘am slightly out of the ordinar’
Interesting, as you can tell
You can find out more about me
on how my hands are held
Feeling the energies living inside of me
The emotional, mental, and physical
My senses for being successful

All points of view, and oppositions made
I have a complex splitting heart line
Crosses, breaks, islands, and braids
I imagine, and make them happen
I have a writers fork, of course, wink
I ‘am a poet, that’s what it indicates
I have a clear and well marked head line
I’m always put to the test,
I stay the same all of the traveling time
No indications of an unutilized brain
Me yes, I have lots and lots of interests
I have a enthusiastic life line
Vital, energizing, and surely passionate
I do not have a destiny line
Not at this day and time
Maybe because I don’t make bets
This is where I veer
Positively I turn here in the yet

Intuition, a constant profession
Ever since now and then,
I learn many, many lessons
With a built in light, and a magnifying glass
I use my psychometric intuitive flash
A time will come, a small period of a break
Until then, my poetic family chain remains
I sail on relationship, I represent a major trip
Intuition enlarged, my telepathy charged
I shall last with many tasks
I know your question before you ask
Tomorrow brings a noticeable gap
But I’ am like a flint
I have an Apollo finger
I’m John E. WordSlinger
With a little squint
You can see my calm palm in print

(c) John E WordSlinger[/quote]LOL

===============================================================

Critique of Arias' Poem 1, RHPeat's sonnet class

Poem 1: Write a poem of 16 to 20 lines in 2 parts creating a comparison (2 stanzas). Make use of two different anaphoras. Anaphora: = The repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive clauses. Focus on the three parts of a poem when writing the poem.

POEM I - At the Piano
what do you reveal?
A woman at the grand piano
grey hair wrapped in a bun;
shriveled hands
with gentle fingers on the keys,
she plays Schumann's
"Timeless" melody.

what do you reveal?
A girl at the grand piano
with swift young fingers
on the keys, her light
brown hair tied in blue ribbons,
she plays Schumann's
"Timeless" melody.

Hi Aria! I'm finally getting around to critiquing...Ok, first, this poem is lovely! You definitely have the comparison - the first stanza describing the old woman playing, and the second stanza describing the young girl playing. I love how the song they play ties them in time "Timeless". It tells me this poem is also about memories, time, and love of music. I do see some repitition, but I think an anaphora is supposed to be more repetitive. I made the same mistake in my Poem 1 assignment!! Other wise, this is a wonderful poem!

==============================================================

Critique of Aria's Poem 2 for RHPeat's sonnet class

Poem 2: Write a poem of 15 to 18 lines using tercets (3 line stanzas). Make use of a refrain within the poem. Realize when you construct the refrain that it will be used within the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware that the refrain has to be constructed in a manner that will offer intent within all three literary parts of the poem. Understand also that a refrain doesn't have to be on every stanza or evenly spaced within the poem.

Poem II - Kyrie Eleison (Lord Have Mercy)
Let us live in the light, let us walk the path of peace.
Acceptance of each other is the key.
May we love one another, may love help us see.

May we not live in the dark, may we not each other harm,
forgiveness is a gift we give ourselves;
deep within our hearts, let us never harbor hate.

Kyrie eleison, alleluia, allelu,
Jesus said "love one another, as I have loved you."
Forgive us for we know not what we do.

The creator of the universe, we all speak His name
in one way or the other, in any language, still the same.
Kyrie eleison, alleluia, allelu.

May we walk in your light, may your light
shine on our path, may we know, here and now
"love is all, love is real."

Let love light our way, love help us know
the pain of our brother, in forgiveness perfect peace.
Kyrie elison, alleluia, allelu.

Hi Aria! Ok, right off I see that you have used tercets, and the poem is within the assignment's guide of 15-18 lines. The refrain is clear, and work within the entire poem (opening, turning, closure). Now the message! Beautiful! Simple but profound,and so well written! I love this, Aria - a perfect A+ for sure smile

==========================================================

Critique of Aria's Peom3 for RHPeat's sonnet class

Poem 3: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines that is a conceit. That means the complete poem will be based one metaphor. The opening should set up the premise for the poem. It could be just the title like: R. Burns poem “my love is like a red red rose.” Where he makes the statement in the title and then goes on to speak about the rose as his love. But the title does not have to state the premise but at least it should be present in the first stanza. Write the poem in quatrains. The closure should relate to both sides of the metaphor in some way without revealing the deeper meaning of the poem. The closure needs to tie the opening and turning point together in some way to form a new concept.

Poem 3 - Invitation to the Masquerade
Please come to a masquerade party.
Wear your mask, my friend, it is key
to hide your identity.
The invitation? Escape of reality.

Welcome to the masquerade.
Please, your passion, put here on display
in words, poetically played...
love or hate, eternally made.

You are the gambler
of dark and light? day and night?
Neither Nero or Caesar,
nor devil or diva.

The prize is in
the hearts you may win.
Mardi-gras has no sin;
welcome, friend, to the inn

of our host.
Favor and hope are most
in the end. Can you cope
as you walk the tight-rope?

Your mask is jeweled beauty,
peacock's plumage, costly;
You may play, of course! It is free!
Only, friend, at the door, once more, lose your identity.

Love this! The mask and masquerade are strong metaphors for a person's behaviors and lives! You tie it all together nicely, implying that with a mask of anonymity, people "play" in a way they would not if they were visible. The ending, the walking through the door, makes me wonder - is he leaving his mask and donning another to resume his regular life? Or entering again and putting the play mask back on? Great job!!

============================================================

Critique of Aria's Poem 4 for RHPeat's sonnet class

Poem 4: Write a poem of 16 to 24 lines using couplets (2 line stanzas). Make use of ambiguity within this poem. Allow for more than one interpretation. Or let the opening and turning in the poem be extremely different within the presentation so they don't appear related to one another in any way at all. Let the poem be equivocal in thought and vision. Stay focused on the three parts of the poem: opening, turning point and closure. So be aware the the ambiguity has to be constructed in a manner that will offer content within the reader; allow for discovery on the readers part. Understand that ambiguity doesn't have to be on every stanza of the poem as long as it is carried throughout the overall presentation.

Poem 4, The Magician
The magician holds a tall black hat
in the spotlight, where he's at.

The crowd acts like he's something real;
the rabbit's scared, she feels the feel.

Clouds cross over a moon-lit sky,
people question... why, why, why?

The stars are bright and spinning round.
Do they ever hit the ground?

Pretty women sing pretty songs;
you can make them your very own.

Songs will come and songs will go;
which will be the one you know?

The candle's lit, the water's hot;
what happens when a bunny's caught?

Die, oh die, you silly bunny.
Quit laughing, hot's not very funny!

Fire steals your breath and then your life,
no need to scream out in the night.

He stands alone, the lights grow dim.
In the dark, it's dark.....again.

Bunnies come and bunnies go.
Does it matter, who's to know?

The curtain drops without a sound
The walls all fall... tumbling down.

Hi Aria - You've followed the mechanics of this assignment perfectly! It's definitely ambiguous...at first reading, I was lost; I had only a vague feeling of the magic man being the bad guy, and the bunnies as victims...dark undertones. After a few more readings, I'm thinking serial killer - This is a great poem; I love a good mystery!

==========================================================

Critique of Springsize's Poem 6 from RHPeat's sonnet class

RHPeat Working toward the Sonnet Poetry Class Assignment Poem 6: Write a poem with regulated syllabic stanzas: The poem should have between 10 and 24 lines - make sure that you give your stanza pattern for the poem....Form 4 regulated syllabic quatrain stanzas, 20 lines (8,10,6,12 syllables) .... loving like a red, red rose

Hi Springsize! I'm here to critique for class smile First, I noticed you followed the syllable counts perfectly from stanza to stanza - 8/10/6/12 Perfect! On an emotional level, this seems to be of innocence lost and returned - A lovely read!

My Rosie Red Roses

Pretty little rose bush, smiling
with color that kisses the setting sun
shyly, your petals sing
"Come, share my air, and breathe with me until night comes..."

Oooooh you wonderful, red roses
melting, strawberry, summer-day kiss-lips
in wide-puckered poses
velvet, your shivers... exhale on my fingertips

Oh Rosie, red blood drips and flows
dying, your petals are drooping and torn
chemicals taint your toes
what devil seeped brown horns.... weeping... now, angel thorns

Precious your fragrant Red Rose-ness
replanted your roots in organic ground
with Godly nutrients
like you.... in your sweet-grave-sachet, and red-scent crown

Critique of Springsize assigment 9 in RHPeat's sonnet class

Poem 9 Assignment RHPeat Poetry Class, OP Forums, RE: Working toward the sonnet/starting as the novice poet" ..... Write a 10 to 18 line poem in blank Verse using your choice of iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter. Stanzas are OK. That is either 8 syllables or 10 syllables per line with 4 or 5 iambs respectfully for tetrameter and pentameter. .....I chose: Form 4 quatrains, 16 lines, iambic pentameter NO RHYMES

Sweet VelvetSmooth

I love your foods that honey me, 'o tree
and nuts, like fat that warm my winter blood
I love your juicy berry gypsy bulbs
like global pods in unity, when ripe

I love your smell of peaches, red and orange
though I do favor purple velvet grapes
that roll across my view and sleepy tongue
and spark the sugar faeries sprinkle dust

like music, moves my throbbing pulse for more
your life to life with nectar rich, thick songs
come throat, along, hear angels singing sweet
and I shall find the harmony that calls

my tongue, love-flavored soft for happy foods
that touch the pearls of heaven's terrace gift
where I may sample mouthy treasure lips
upon veranda's taste-filled view of fine.

Hi Springsize! I'm here to critique for class...I'm still trying to get the hang of iambs...so I'm going to focus on that in the hopes to learn something! Ok, S1 seems perfect - flows well and I can identify the iambs easily - S2 L1 seems off? But I think it's the 4th iamb "s" from peaches that throws me off...I posted in school about that! S3 seems perfect...S4 reads well, but the "Filled view" iamb...3 syllables?? I don't know, I'm learning!! The poem itself is beautiful - and you followed blank verse perfectly...Thanks! kah

Aria's assignment - I'm going to do the scansion on it!

Peat's Poetry Class - Assignment # 9 - Write a 10 to 18 line poem in blank Verse using your choice of iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter. Stanzas are OK. That is either 8 syllables or 10 syllables per line with 4 or 5 iambs respectfully for tetrameter and pentameter. 18 lines, blank verse, iambic tetrameter

Ok, right away I notice it's 18 lines and written in iambic tetrameter - as assigned! You do have one rhyme towards the end - I pointed it out - which was "against the rules". The iambic tetrameter seems spot on,except possibly for L7. But I may be wrong as I'm still learning to do scansion!!

That said, Aria, this is a beautiful poem! The last line (and closure) is simply breathtaking! I have enjoyed all your poems and assignments - this does not disappoint!!

I Tell Myself - Assignment #9

And if/ the sum/mer comes/ too soon,
the sun/ may burn/ us in /the fire.
Perhaps,/ at last,/ the ache /will stop
if "all/ is fair /in love /and war?"
If "God /is good"/ and "time/ is all"
a lov/er's wounds/ need on/ly heal.
These tired /cliches/ fill up/ my mind, - first foot bacchic?
my heart's/ filled up /with thoughts/ of you.-f"filled" reads as one syllable
How I /desire/ to meet /you there
in sea /of green/ and sapph/ire blue,
to walk/ once more/ upon /the sand,
recall /your face,/ your touch /of hand;
----- these lines rhyme!!! A big no no in blank verse ------------
but oh /the thought/, I fear/ the loss,
the pain/ of we/ must part,/ again.
"This too/ shall pass,"/ I tell/ myself
to know /my heart/ and trust /it's truth.
And if /the sum/mer ends/ too soon
I'll wear/ it gol/den on /my skin.

Critique of Aria's assignment 9
Including scansion

Terza Rima
Iambic tetrameter

Poem # 11 - The Wraith

She roams,/ a mys/'try in/ the night
with shroud/ed eyes/ and gold/en hair,
where all/ is love/ and love/ is light.

She walks, /enchant/ed and /so fair,
the moon/lit path /through for/ests dark
and hides/ from view /in shad/ows there.

Her voice/ is of/ the mead/owlark
at dawn,/ in ear/ly sun/light's ray.
Her ten/der foot/step leaves/ no mark.

So look not for her, on your way, - I am not sure this is iambic tetrameter - seems off
she is/ illus/ive, like/ a fawn.
You will not see her, try /you may. - Ok, this seems off too! I don't know...

She moves/ like silk /across/ the dawn
in search /of one /whose love/ abounds.
She weeps/ for him/ to whom /she's drawn.

She is/ a wraith/ here lost/, earth-bound.
No care /has she /for heav/en bright
until/ her lov/er she/ has found;

to hold /him once/ more in/ her sight,
to hear/ his voice /and see/ his face,
to know/ their love/ was pure /and right.

She wills/ her fing/ers there/ to trace
once more /her love/ upon /his skin
and heal/ his heart/ there with/ her kiss. - I think this line should rhyme with L1

She would /with joy/, begin/ again,
her life /with him,/ if on/ly she
could turn/ back time/, to where /and when

beliefs/ had giv/en in/ to need,
desire /took o'er their/fond embrace. - This seems off -
Surprised /and stunned,/ she did /not speak,
she could/ not live /with her/ disgrace.

Oohh...Aria - this is wonderful. A gothic romance feel to it. You followed the rhyme scheme perfectly! I am still getting used to iamb counting...S4 L1 seems off? And the last stanza, L2 seems off to me as well. I must say again, though, that I am still learning to count the iambs!! Aria, this poem is lovely and ethereal! Love it -

Critique of Aria's assignment 13
including scansion

Peat's Poetry Class, terzanelle, iambic pentameter

If You Could See Her Now - #13

If you /could see/ her now,/ you would /not know
the wo/man she's /become /without/ you here.
Her trust /and tend/erness/ were first/ to go.

She spiels/ out bul/let words/ instead /of fear
of the /unknown,/ they say /she's ve/ry brave,
the wo/man she's /become/ without /you here.

She goes/ to bars/, not church,/ her soul/ to save
and once /she's drunk/ enough, /she wants /the thrill
of the/ unknown,/ they say /she's ve/ry brave.

She wants/ to prove/ she nev/er loved/ you, still
her eyes/ fill up /with tears/ once in/ awhile,
and once /she's drunk /enough,/ she likes /the thrill,

a man //to hold her close/ and make /her smile.
Though she/ may dance /with him/, he doe/sn't know
her eyes/ fill up /with tears/ once in/ awhile.

She drinks/ tequi/la straight,/ no more /fine wine.
If you/ could see/ her now, /you would/ not know
the wo/man, how /her beau/ty used /to shine.
Her trust/ and tend/erness/ were first /to go.

Hi Aria - I'm critiquing again! First off, this is an excellent and touching write. The woman in the poem is easy to relate to - as many (if not most) have had our hearts broken and undergone a type of permanent change as a result. The form is perfect! I'm going to do scansion for my own sake in my critique folder, but as I read, it seemed correct and flowed well. Wonderful job! You have a natural talent for sure smile

Critique of Aria's Villanelle written for Baladeers class:

You're Not Here

The hallway stairs I climb, again,

my dreams lie up there, I must go.

I close my eyes and count to ten.

I place my foot and then begin

to hear you whisper soft and low.

The hallway stairs I climb, again.

It matters not how long it’s been

a day, a week, or years ago.

Your absence here is felt within

the shadow near the candle's glow.

I want you now as I did then

but “you’re not here” it’s true, I know.

To not remember where and when

the clock’s tick-tock became so slow,

Beautiful, Aria. There are so many ways to read this poem...so many connections to be made by the reader. It feels mournful, a missing of someone (or something) that is gone for good. I love it! The Villanelle style was followed perfectly - Great job!

===========================================================

Critique of Aria's assignment 10 for RHPeat's class

Peat's Poetry Class - Assignment 10 - A new form: Ron’s Portal 1. 10 lines of either iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter. One or the other 2. Two enveloped quatrains and one couplet. 3. Rhyme Scheme as follows: (abba cddc ee.) That gives us the description for our Ron’s Portal poem. This means lines: 1 & 4 rhyme, 2 & 3 rhyme, 5 & 8 rhyme, 6 & 7 rhyme, and finally 9 & 10 rhyme in the couplet. And the poem can be written on any subject you want, and it can be titled anything you want as well. but it will be a portal no mater what. The turning should happen in the second quatrain and the closure in the rhyming couplet. Writing Exercise: (Poem 10): Write a 10 line poem in iambic tetrameter or iambic pentameter using an end line (rhyme scheme) that is presented below in: Part 2: “The Portal”

No Fairy Tale - Assignment # 10

The full/ blown moon/ tonight /cries out/ for you.
My tears/ spilled rain/ wet down/ my face /but then
you walked /away/ and now /the mo/ment's sin
has made/ us lose /our way/ from love's/ "I do."

You've left /me bruised /and bat/tered from/ your words.
How could /you say /those to /someone/ you love?
Why did/ I think/ you loved/ me, God /above?
I know/ for bro/ken lives /there is/ no cure.

So this/ is how/ the fair/y tale/ must end,
not with/ a hand/some prince;/ nor ev/en friend.

Ok, the scansion shows iambic pentameter - excellent! The rhyme scheme is attempted, but I have to say the second stanza with rhyme of "words" and "cure" doesn't quite work for me. You hit the turning perfectly - the second stanza definitely lets the reader know what has happened, and the ending couplet completes the poem as well as the story! Very well written and entertaining to read.

===========================================================

Critique of Aria's terzanelle for Balladeer's class

conversations - overheard in a bar
That man, there at the bar that you don't know;
poor guy has nowhere else to go but here.
He stays till closing time and then goes home.

He likes to say there's nothing left to fear;
an honest man, hard worker all his life,
poor guy has nowhere else to go but here.

He talks about his work, his kids, his wife,
but when she left, she took away his pride.
An honest man, hard worker all his life

he tries his best to keep the pain inside.
Here at the bar, he acts like he's real tough,
but when she left, she took away his pride.

He tells us it was him who had enough.
When she left, it was him who told her to.
Here at the bar, he acts like he's real tough

and though he'll ask to spend the night with you,
just say no, it's the only thing to do.
That man, there at the bar that you don't know,
he stays till closing time and then goes home.

Aria - fantastic poem! I was enthralled with this man, who is so hurt but trying to muscle on in life! Love the picture, too, although as I read the poem, I pictured and older man. Your form is perfect, and the storytelling superb. A well earned 10 from me!

Critique of LeslieAlexis Poem 13 for RHPeat's class - the terzanelle

Ten thou/sand fell /in front/ of me
Ten thou/sand princ/es in /the ball;
Ten thou/sand ti//y thoughts/ of she

Tiptoed /across /that gal/lant hall
But there/ they met/ with great /surprise
Ten thou/sand prince/s in/ the ball

And she/ was jew/el in /their eyes:
Each man /with mis/tletoe /in reach,
But there /they met/ with great /surprise

Men rich/er in the art /of speech
That woo /immor/tal life /to die
Each man/ with mis/tletoe /in reach.

Compared/ I am /a pinned /old fly
But she/ chose me/ and gave /a smile
That woo /immor/tal life /to die

I went //to drown in riv/er Nile,
But she/ chose me/ and gave/ a smile;
Ten thou/sand fell/ in front/ of me
Ten thou//sand tiny thoughts/ of she.

You followed the form perfectly! L13 felt off to me somehow - but on a second reading, it seems it works! The story flows nicely - not easy with this form. Excellent! I did the scansion here in the folder - Iambic tetrameter!

critique of poem 12 by LeslieAlexis for RHPeat's class
The villanelle

VILLANELLE — is a 19 line poem with five triplets that interlock and a final quatrain; the 1st and 3rd lines of stanza one will repeat as refrain-lines alternately in the following stanzas and then both are repeated within the closing quatrain. Iambic pentameter or iambic tetrameter.

Adventure of Love (Villanelle)
And passing times say love grows more.
Within my heart, I’ve built a shrine

For love, and all the stock is thine
To take -- to fill it’s thine to pour.

Like winds, this love is not clandestine,
Like seas, of love, you can be sure

And to my tongue, there is a line
That brings the freshness from the store.

Whose lips do sooth far more than wine,
Who gives her love with joy galore.

My Love, my love I can’t define,
Each time I think of you I soar

Hi - back again to critique! First this is lovely! The metaphor of love being a store to take stock from as needed is so unique - love that! The form is followed perfectly, and the poem flows smoothly. The only thing I noticed: L7 is not iambic tetrameter - the word "clandestine" messes it up! However, it still flows well. Nice job!!

Critique of Aria's Poem #15 for RHPeat's class

A Little Song of Love - #15

Whene'er I think of him, a certain calm
falls over me. The lure of ocean's breeze
I feel and hear so near, words like a psalm
of love in their seductive melodies.

But in the ocean's breeze a storm-cloud brews
as I recall the torment in his kiss.
When in that moment, with no time to choose
he owned my heart, now I would be remiss

to not admit the quand'ry that I feel;
this paradox of love should not be true.
It is against the rules yet, love is real.
He is not mine to love and yet, I do.

Oh, ocean's breeze, please take my little song
reply to him... love knows no right or wrong.

Hi Aria! First thing - this poem is beautiful! The turmoil of the subject is felt throughout, and defined perfectly in the turning and last couplet. Her emotional struggle with her illicit (it seems) love is presented wonderfully. Form wise - its perfect! Iambs sounded great to me, and L4 is an amazing use of words to fit the iambic count! Rhyme scheme is perfect - a definite A+!! Oh, and the enjambment is so well done -

Critique of Aria's poem #14 for RHPeat's sonnet class

The Sontoum

She Rides a Winged Horse - #14

She rides, as thunder breaks across the sky,
far past the shadowed place where dark meets light.
Fast light'ning in a storm, they seem to fly
through pelting rain and wind, into the night.

Far past the shadowed place where dark meets light;
a vision of a tempest in a cloud.
Through pelting rain and wind, into the night,
the darkness hides her visage like a shroud.

A vision of a tempest in a cloud,
a woman sits upon a swift-winged horse.
The darkness hides her visage like a shroud
and there they tempt the gods in nature’s force.

She rides, as thunder breaks across the sky,
fast light'ning in a storm, they seem to fly.

Well done! I found this form to be very difficult - you did it well - the poem flows wonderfully. The poem is at once fierce and magical - Now for the mechanical details: Iambic pentameter through and through, and the repetons are perfect - The turning happens at the appropriate time. To me, the poem reads like a snapshot of something seen/felt in a fleeting moment. I like it! Another A for sure, Aria -

Last edited by kah 06-02-2010 at 10:10:02 PM

05-01-2010 at 08:54:03 PM

Student Critiques

Ok I am new at this type of reading, it's like Im re writing your work, sorry,
it's not my intent, but I do see the benefits of this,
its like putting yourself in a dark room with King Cobras,
and you have to find a way to smoothly get out, I brought
anti- venom, so please excuse the swelling..
This does improve your writing, I was inspired,
and seen what I stumble on my self
I still have trouble with the meter lingo, and ideas,
but hang in there with me..
Thanks,,

John E WordSlinger

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=
Aria’s Poems http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Aria

POEM I - At the Piano
I think it’s very smooth, and creative time now time times past.
Flowed smoothed:

Poem II - Kyrie Eleison (Lord Have Mercy)
Was good, the flow was ok, the refrain was good, put in the right spots.

Poem 3 - Invitation to the Masquerade
This is really cool, but the third stanza, believe looses’ the reader, in plot, but
Other than that its very good

Poem 4, The Magician
Ok the doubt-ness we are supposed to install,
I guess comes from the rabbit in the hands
Of the magician, and the audience,
is doubting the care of the rabbit, not the trick, but
The where abouts of the rabbit after the show.
The poem I guess does it’s job,
tricking the reader into not watching the magician carefully,
its good started out really good.

Poem 5 - Wisteria
This poem is amazing, magical, and surreal, it has a grip. Great flow

Poem 6 - Manic Mary
I think it is works it has a taboo pull to it,
so that offsets the cliché’
To a niche’, cool, it was a bit bumpy.

Poem 7 Wings (Pantoum)
This poem is great in every sense, Super- Poemio

Poem-8 Wildflowers
I would have, done this to this line
(In a time, not very long ago or far away)
I would have used and instead of or

And this part is bumpy, could be better,
(Upon their land, the strangers with strange ways quickly moved,
put up fences, killing a way of life which was good.)
I like how it ended.

Poem -9 Summertime 2010,
Nice, I hear the Beat, I find nothing wrong, I see what's up with this some what,

Poem 10 No Fairytale
Aria, you sure did stike a note with this, awesome, good Job, I got lost on the God question, but that's what makes ya think,

Poem 11 The Wraith
Aria, this is very cool, I like how you changed the ending, makes me have to give you an A,

Poem 12 Internet Romance
lol, I like it it was cool, good job, but me you see put the gas petal to the floorie, got s to get me baby,

Poem 13 If You Could See Her Now
good poem

Poem 14
She Rides a Winged Horse
This is what Im talking about, bad ass poems like this tickles me, you are the Lone Rangeret, great poem

Poem 15
A Little Song of Love
nice, they saying becareful what you wish for, is similar to becareful who you kiss, this is a great poem Aria

Poem 16 A Lover's Dream
A very good poem I would have the apostrophe after the s in the title and after the word sky's It shows ownership, but this is an argument between the west english, and the east, depends on the reader/writer two lovers there known only in my dream, our love in vain (I'd have our instead of my (in the my dream here), it doesn't show conflict) A

Poem 17 Conversations - Overheard in The Sestina Bar
place a comma after fun,and drink: comma after good, and fun: and laugh, and fun: and drink, the reason why is because you added periods. May as well it with all the tools. All in all great poem, when I bar hopped, I said to myself, Bleep this I'm not ending up like that guy, but he maybe wise, to drown. But I think he is missing the happiness that awaits, so next time pinch his ass, and run out the door, lol ty WS -A

Poem 18 I make a mental note to tell you this
Here to critique, I like this peaceful calm ,and true, a time spent in a poets view, I have an A+ for you

Poem 19 A Smile Was All It Took
A beautiful Poem an A+ for sure

Poem 20 She Was a Willful Child
Aria, this is cool, hmmm, familiar-yes, lol, an A+

Poem 21 of summer's eve
This is awesome Aria, very much lit up with life , awesome ty WS A+

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

SpringSizes’ Poems http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/Springsize

Poem 1 I am the shape of Change
I have to say this is cool, the plot, and idea,
it flowed good, I just kept thinking
Of Kabbalistic lessons of the over use of I,
but it does work with the assignment guidelines,
I could create something like this good on being original.

Poem 2 the Suicide of Phoebe Prince and the 2 fallen angels
It works fine grabbing the reader, but I got lost on this part;
but who did kill
their joy?
( I think it should’ve been her joy)

Poem- 3 My Love makes me Glow
What a good poem I have never seen a poem go so
Beautiful, and get down right ugly, wow, good job, all of it

Poem -4 When the Mute Bird Sings
Awesome, this one works, the clever ending was cool.

Poem- 5 Sweet Mary on the Prairie
This is amazing, lol, I can’t say much, but it works

Poem- 6 My Rosie Red Roses
This is poem is very different, a bit bumpy,
This part may need tweeked
shyly, your petals sing, to, so shy, bit shy, shy high, shy shy, maybe

Poem -7 The Night of Her Flower
Interesting piece, leaves the reader to decide what happened, works..

Poem- 8 (Untitled, hmm that’s not like you)
Caps on Heads, a comma after home,
This line, is bumpy,
Twins like mirrors blessing their mother's brownish color
It seems uncompleted

Poem 9 Sweet Velvet Smooth
When I read this I tried to go with the rhythm, we were taught, I felt bumps,-trellis-unity, no don’t get me wrong, I’m a learning, one other thing, just me, the double vowels the eees, are here twice next to each other, they maybe to close with out a consonant, just a learning remember, lol, so are we having fun yet, I am,

Poem 10 Hugs to your Heart
love it , I find that you didnt use commas thats about it, ty WS

Poem 11 It was Sunday afternoon on Mission St.
Original and complete, remins me of my Highway days, good job,

Poem 12 America sweet Liberties
Great job, and you pointed to some ugliness, fantastic,

Poem 13 Rainbow River
This is freakin sweet sings a song, this could be a hit, with the right band, neat, Ok, I would remove the word that, and use came quick with a swift floods, but that's just me, great one,

Poem 14 Strawberries by the Sea
You know, I think I know what you mean here I seen a youtube video that scares me, and pisses me off, May the Creator be with us, this is a great poem perfect,

I dont how I got the numbers of your poem mixed up, lol, but here are the rset of my critiques:

Wings of Burgandy:
I have to say this poem is very very good, Great job, Springsize,

Poem 15 To My Heart Love
A comma after you, and long, and life, because here there's a shift. Apostrophe, in I am-after blessed, a semi-colon Comma after and, dish I love the slow universe bit, so real A great poem A

Poem 16 the Gate
Pure genius A+..............................................

Poem 17 Once Upon a Dream
Pure Genius A+........................................

Poem 18 Once Upon a Moon
This is a good poem, but he must have a tummy ache, lol, ty WS A

Poem 19 The Dead-End Road
This is great, imagery well fit watch ones ankles, lol, thiis awesome, A+

Poem 21 One Afternoon in the Mansion
lol, awesome suspense in deed, witty, and clear, great write, A+,

Poem 22 Breathing in Poetry
lol, love this, Yahoo is a great way to store, and prove copyrighted issues, lol, there are lines in this that rock-A+,--

Poem 16 If I could be a flower
Springsize,this is really great, thank you much, an A+ for sure,
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=--=--=--=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-
Kahs Poems http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/kah

Poem- 1 The Evening Does Glide
Kah this poem is amazing, I find nothing wrong, Bravo

Poem- 2 To Whom It May Concern
This poem is written very well the concept is so good, I see one thing=

This-------Still denying
Should be Still denied

Poem- 3 A Conceit
Powerful write, one thing small error
Each fold of time mine to leap
Needs a comma here, Each fold of time, mine to leap

Poem- 4 The Gift
This is a really good, flawless

Poem- 5 The Six Napoleons
Lol, amazing, A=+ Creative and witty, great eye and ear for a write..

Poem-6 This Little Girl
Kah all i see is when you are in the enjamble you dont have to capitalize on your next starting letter, like in she never Thought,

Poem 7 This Little Girl
What a beautiful poem. awesome:
You dont have to capitalize the first letter when you use an enjambment,
and, I would use the word or, instead of ( a rock unturned)

Poem 8 On Love and Other Variables
Kah this is magikal, and filled with heart, since Im failing, lol, I can't critique correct, But I say this is good, the word exacting bumped me, but other than that, smooth sailing, ty WS

Poem 9 The Dance of Love's Most Perfect Blade
Awesome write, just watch the caps in the enjambment

Poem 10 Turn Away
I like your twist on you dont know what ya got until it's gone, great work.

Poem 11 Street Walker
Love the perspective on this, great enjanbment, jammed me up to the next thought, lol, works

Poem 12 Fantasy of You
Well I think you just kicked passions butt with this one, great poem

Poem 13 Siren's Song
Pure Genius...........................................A+

Poem 14 Awake
This is a wise piece, A+..................................

Poem 15 Sonnet No. 1
A nice gothic romantic poem, pretty sharp I like it, A+

Poem 16 Sonnet II
Kah, this just kicks my ass, unbelievable. an A+ for sure,

Poem 17 To Heal
Amazing Poem A+

Poem 18 All This While Dreaming
lol, great poem, Them Crazy Melancholy daisies, are everywhere, an A+

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=
Leslies Poems’http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/leslieAlexis

Poem-1 The Boys In The Library
This is good it was a bit bumpy, interesting write.

Poem -2 A Kiss
It flows well small errors the place of the apostrophe
A butterfly’s touch
but that depends if you are in America, or England
A butterflys’ touch

A bee's painful sting

A bee's painful sting

A bees’ painful sting, or leave the apostrophe out

Poem 3- Kissed By a Shadow
This poem is awesome, I found nothing up or down

Poem- 4 Beyond The Ray
Good write, jus a bit bumpy,

For at the hour he fades humbly, can be tweaked

Poem- 5 Your Love Pours
Awesome write.
1. I would place upon your finger, my love.

I would place it upon your finger love

Poem - 6 Art
Great poem just a bit bit bumpy

Poem- 7 Owl On The Sea
Perfect write

Poem- 8 Caught in Folly (Lost in her Eyes)
Awesome poem, no flaws, this here RULES

Poem- 9 The Truth
Good poem this line needs tweaked,
Removing burden, truth makes worry free.

Poem -10 Pretty Birds Flocking
lol, this is good , and funny, L4 Lex, line 4

Poem 11 Floating Rock
Awesome, complete mastery, that last question, is awesome, I have the answer, lol yep, I love this one, wisdom in a poem

Poem 11b Keep your Chains
What a great way to express the word, you live by in love, great poem

Poem 12 Adventure in Love
Like I said in the last poem your word, stands, with the mighty King-Love

Poem 13 Terzenelle
Pure Genius, love it A+...................................

Poem 14 Hooray for May
lol, good poem, pretty smart actually,...........

Poem 15 A Love that Blossomed
ok the apostrpohes are not needed to me, the is no need to claim ownership, and it's not signaling the is word, ok a comma, after aoromas, and met. Truly a heartfelt poem

Poem 16 Just Seventeen
Good poem, I had a concept title for like 15 called Mascara Tears, finally finished it five years ago A

=---------=-=-=-=-==--=-=---------=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
THE NEXT ARE=Forest Bird, And DancingHawkie, and then The Teachers lol, hahahahaha
I shoud have these up by tonight, I am enjoying this..

Last edited by WordSlinger 06-24-2010 at 06:55:23 AM

05-23-2010 at 04:44:38 AM

RE: Student Critiques

In my estimation, some great and intensive work is being done here. Reminds me of the mystical and orderly system of a beehive. I hear the industrious buzz; I smell and taste honey. The workers I recognize. There must be drones some place in the hive..........LOL. Who are the Queens...................Aria and Springsize? CONGRATULATIONS

GOOD APRIARY EXPERT, JOHN WORDSLINGER!!

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-23-2010 at 04:50:17 AM

01-23-2011 at 11:59:54 PM

RE: RE: Student Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

In my estimation, some great and intensive work is being done here. Reminds me of the mystical and orderly system of a beehive. I hear the industrious buzz; I smell and taste honey. The workers I recognize. There must be drones some place in the hive..........LOL. Who are the Queens...................Aria and Springsize? CONGRATULATIONS

GOOD APRIARY EXPERT, JOHN WORDSLINGER!!

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.