Original Poetry Forums

The Future of OP- "OP Around the World!!!"

10-14-2010 at 12:03:17 AM

OP Around the World!!!- The Future of OP???

Wordslinger being the visionary he is, came up with the thread What is the future of OP, how will our site grow and prosper and what new horizons lie ahead. The thought that came to mind for me is "OP around the world". Basically the idea is to move OP from the cyber world into the real world, bring OP to the commmunities we live in, create local chapters of OP. Imagine local groups of OP members new and old meeting around the country and around the world. My idea is to create at least one chapter in each of the fifty states and additional chapters in other countries. I know there are many poetry groups already out there at the community level both here in the US and abroad, but there is no organization to them, no unity. This is where OP could bridge the gap, create a network of poetry groups both new ones and exsisting groups, we can incorporate exsisting groups into our network, the purpose is advertisement of the site as well as spreading the word of poetry and allowing a avenue to for people to come and share ideas and gain a support network of poets and writers. The local groups could meet and have poetry readings at local coffee shops and libaries around the globe, discuss ways to help spread the word of the site, etc. We could advertise the meetings in free adds in local papers, the internet, flyers, word of mouth, and ofcourse on the OP site. The main function that site can offer to exsiting as well as new groups is one place to organize and advertise this information. My idea is to create a new forum on OP called, "OP around the world". In the forum we will create one thread for each of the fifty states and additional threads for other countries outside of the US. The purpose of the threads will serve as a place to come and get information about where is the closest poetry group near you that is in aflliation with OP. Now I realize that some states may have the need for more than one group, I could see groups in all major cities and even smaller groups in more rural areas. I think the starting point will be to create at least one main group in each state and country and then branch off from there. Then the real fun part would be, once a year have some large worldwide OP poetry convention where all the local groups could come together and meet. I proposed this idea to papa and he was excited, he loved the idea, but we both agreed before we put a lot of time and effort into getting this up and running we sould see how much support there is for it on the OP site, how interested people would be in participating in an idea like this. This is where you come in, if you like this idea and would like to see it become a reality please take a brief moment and leave a reply comment to show your support and offer any ideas you have. There is still alot of details to work out, but these are the basic ideas to it, let us know what you think, both good and bad, indifferent. The sky is the limit with this idea, who knows where it could end and how big it could become. Who knows forsure what the future of OP holds but I think this would be a great way to spread the word of our site, grow, and prosper into the 21st century and beyound. If this takes off like I think it could it could very litterally blow our site up, we could go from 40,000 members to 400,000, who knows what the future holds, the only one I know who can see the future is the great wordslinger, LOL. Purity of the soul, journey well to all!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life! aka A blind man walking... cool smile

Last edited by angel33614 10-14-2010 at 11:09:54 PM

10-14-2010 at 07:45:03 AM

RE: RE: The Future of OP- "OP Around the World!!!"

Hi, John

Kudos for mooting the question about the future of OP. Hats off to you!

quote="WordSlinger"]When I read this vision came to mind. An Op magazine for the states at first.
It has pictures and interviews of poets, poems, and ads.
This can be done, but we need team players.
An Rv, and tools, and a massive gas card.
just thoughts ok
but here is the company that does the zines:
[url]http://www.magcloud.com/[/url]
I need a freakn job, my bones cant roof in the cold.
So what Im saying is to this level, we need a deal,
Sponsorship is out there, we need a go getter that can deal
with the big rigs.[/quote]

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Yeah, this is a magnificent idea that will work and will ensure perpetuity of OP
for generations,
Such a magazine can be an income generator churning out millions of dollars to its players, as a general adveriising and a poetry promotion and dissemination agency. Let's do it.

We will need at once, a small board of founding directors
We will need considerable sponsorship ( a big guy like Bill Gates, or President Obama, or an established University ot Literary founation0
We will need sales experts
We seem to have enough technical expertise , such as lay-out designers and graphic artists and programmers on the OP site,
This magazine idea goes very well with Angel;s suggestions for giving OP wordwide length, depth and breadth,

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-15-2010 at 02:16:12 PM

10-14-2010 at 11:08:53 PM

OP Around the World!!!-The Future of OP???

please anyone interested in this idea post your replies, I am trying to see how much buzz there is for the idea and if it is worth my time and papa's time to get it going. So if you want to see this idea become reality, please show your support!!! comment, comment, comment! Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life! aka A blind man walking...

Last edited by angel33614 10-14-2010 at 11:11:03 PM

10-14-2010 at 11:32:32 PM

RE: The Future of OP- "OP Around the World!!!"

papa has already approved the idea and is on board with it but is waiting on the approval of his higher ups. We talked for two hours earlier today about some of the basics and where to start, we are ready to get it going as soon as we have final approval. In the mean time I figured I would just see how much buzz I could create aboutt he idea, see how much interest there is in the idea before we put in all the time and effort. So please help pass the word and lets see if we can build some buzz and show OP there is support to this idea, the more support we have the more likely Op will back it and put it into action. Angel out

10-15-2010 at 06:16:28 AM
  • kah
  • kah

wow, I love all the ideas floating around here! I'm definitely up for setting up a local chapter of OP in my area.

And an OP magazine?! Wow! Yes!

kah

10-15-2010 at 11:11:44 AM

if you stand off in the distance you can the smoke churning out of the original poetry website... others will take notice and they will come to see what all of the activity is about... the gears are greased and the wheels are starting in motion...

10-15-2010 at 11:13:23 AM

i would like to captain the indiana chapter of original poetry and mindnumbing will be my co-captain and navigator

10-15-2010 at 11:59:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano

i would like to captain the indiana chapter of original poetry and mindnumbing will be my co-captain and navigator

YES!! I'm a rock-solid navigator ~ as long as I've got a map on my lap smile

10-15-2010 at 02:08:34 PM
  • kah
  • kah

I"m willing to do a Massachusetts chapter! Additional helpers welcome!

10-15-2010 at 04:02:53 PM

I vote for a country convention in each nation, once a year. it would be nice for a state convention but not sure how many are from Missouri and most of my friends are various states and countries. Since, I am near the center of the nation I vote for it to be held here, lol; or Scranton, PA; go for it! Hell, why not a world convention. Love, peace and freedom, Olan.

10-16-2010 at 11:02:19 AM

Im from a small town so im not sure how much help i could be. but I could try to start up something over here smile Central texas chapter? we need someone for that.

10-16-2010 at 11:18:30 AM

In many cities there already exists poetry clubs. Probably many of our online members are active in these clubs. These could be a good starting point to bring these members to OP. Book stores, mainly independent bookstores, are active in sponsoring these groups. One such bookstore in my area, Richmond, Virginia, is the Chop Suey bookstore. The owner is a published poet and fosters the local poetry scene with readings and discussions. Would be glad to help in any capacity. Let's go for it.....

Last edited by towersongs 10-16-2010 at 11:19:50 AM

10-16-2010 at 11:19:52 AM

wordslinger i agree me and michelle were talking about this... flyers and spreading information by word of mouth always gains support... pushing flyers into peoples hands is a good way to gain support and a following... some people will throw the flyers on the ground and not give it a second thought but there always people who look at them and maybe start up a converstion with you about it... we have a community halloween fest coming up in a couple of weeks and i had thought about making flyers for the poets of blood because i think it would be a great place to help promote the book and the poets of bloods cause.... i think i am going to make up flyers to pass out to people

10-16-2010 at 11:22:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towersongs

In many cities there already exists poetry clubs. Probably many of our online members are active in these clubs. These could be a good starting point to bring these members to OP. Book stores, mainly independent bookstores, are active in sponsoring these groups. One such bookstore in my area, Richmond, Virginia, is the Chop Suey bookstore. The owner is a published poet and fosters the local poetry scene with readings and discussions. Would be glad to help in any capacity. Let's go for it.....

we have a couple of businesses within our neighborhood that would support what we are trying to do... a coffee shop called lazy daze does open mic night for poets once a week... it think it might be a good place partner up with and maybe a good way to gain community support

10-16-2010 at 11:40:27 AM
  • kah
  • kah

There is a local gallery in the town I live in that host Poetry Reads once a month. I could talk to the woman who runs it - she may be interested in this Poetry Chapter idea as well. She is more connected than I am with the local poetry scene.

I will be at the next poetry read - next week - for open mic and will discuss this with her! I'm thinking she would be willing to mention OP, the idea of a local chapter, etc. I'll post her response here on this thread.

If any one has any advice, my ears are open.

kah

10-16-2010 at 01:43:45 PM

I think that is a wonderful idea Angel, having poetry groups meet up once a year would be fantastic or even more than once a year.....and I think the magazine is fantastic as well..........so count me in fellows, I am willing to do what ever I can to help.......love asha

10-16-2010 at 11:29:00 PM

Spreading OP around can only be a worthy and great cause. I am a couple hours from kah, so she and I could spread the word or do whatever to let poets in MASS know about this. When there is a strategy and plan then let us know what is involved. Meanwhile write on...
gingagrin

10-17-2010 at 07:36:25 AM
  • kah
  • kah

Ginga - Excellent!! We would make a good team.

thanks!
Kah

10-19-2010 at 04:48:39 PM

Thanks for all your support and friendship!!! Together we unite as poets of the future, together we become one voice, together we can make a difference... Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life! aka A blind man walking...

10-21-2010 at 11:55:56 AM

I strongly vouchsafe the idea and venture the future of OP Around the world,
though involves enormous dedication and total commitment and cheers
collectively.it will take the literary world to dizzy heights provided it is
channalised with acute forthright involvement.
cheese
wishing you all good luck best and am prepared to do from this end my best.
with regards
S.Radhamani

10-24-2010 at 07:37:56 PM

The buzz has been great and I appreciate all that have shown your support for the idea, we will be hearing back from the higher ups this week as to if it is a final go. Papa is confident we will gain thier support, then we will have to start to workout all the details and kinks to getting it going. Please keep the comments and ideas coming as we will consider them all when putting this idea into action. Your opinion counts, so it is not to late to get your ideas in, it is all still a work in progress. Purity of ths soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life! aka A blind man walkig...

10-25-2010 at 03:13:01 AM

Dear Angel,
Yes,purity of the soul, very essential indeed. I wish all your efforts
in augmenting the forum good luck.
with regards
S.Radhamani.gringringrin

11-09-2010 at 08:45:33 AM

I vote yes to OP world wide, as long as all members are represented, meaning having their work acknowledged. and of course by helping support the local chapters. Op world wide is a brillant idea. and I am definetly interested in the local functions. cool smile

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.