Original Poetry Forums

Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

06-02-2009 at 12:38:32 PM

Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

I have been reading many poems in this site. Some are great, amazing, and simply delightful. Some others, are of very poor quality. Now, I do not necessarily mean poor grammar or usage of the English language, I just simply mean, a poor message.

You know that message that I am talking about? The one that doesn't reach the reader? Yes, that particular one that strikes you with a great beginning and leaves you wondering where exactly the sense of direction was lost. The one that you want to rate or comment poorly but are afraid to say anything to avoid hurting feelings.

Some people have great ideas and just simply need a little help to guide them through. Hints that would stick forever, if they choose to continue to write. I am inviting you to become a part of a circle of poets that help each other, criticize work with honorable words and inflict routes to find the right direction to a great poem.

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Simply post your reply and choose the poet. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other. If you would like to convey a praise, then scream it! If you have constructive criticism, please be cordial to your fellow poets and send your opinions in a private message.

Good Luck! Hope to hear from you!

With much love and respect,

Erika Brown grin

"A poet is raw and unashamed, then finds a way to ease your frustrations with a comforting rage, sooth your spirits like the smoke of sage. A poet keeps you totally engaged with epic sentiments, that have you on the edge of your emotions, make you feel dizzy with lyrical potions. A poet is full to the brim with antonyms, like he was liberated while imprisioned, because life is about our own decisions"

Last edited by jademelissa74 06-04-2009 at 09:43:05 PM

06-02-2009 at 01:28:57 PM

Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Anyone who is willing, you can critic my poems and i will not be upset.. I will also read an drespon to yours either with criticism or with a comment whichever you prefer!! But please! Any of my poems are open for discussion!

06-02-2009 at 02:45:52 PM

Thank you for the invite and i am ceritanly open to this idea infact I full on back It I believe constructive critisim can do wonders and would love the helpful hints of those more experiencedand those with new fresh ideas.

06-02-2009 at 03:41:17 PM

Thanks for the invite Erika, Constructive Criticism is what I am looking for. I have never had any formal training with poetry or even a mentor to learn from, so if you would like to read some of my work and give me some feedback...good or bad I will take it, and learn from it what I can.

Thanks,

Spence

06-02-2009 at 04:38:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademelissa74

I have been reading many poems in this site. Some are great, amazing, and simply delightful. Some others, are of very poor quality. Now, I do not necessarily mean poor grammar or usage of the English language, I just simply mean, a poor message.

You know that message that I am talking about? The one that doesn't reach the reader? Yes, that particular one that strikes you with a great beginning and leaves you wondering where exactly the sense of direction was lost. The one that you want to rate or comment poorly but are afraid to say anything to avoid hurting feelings.

Some people have great ideas and just simply need a little help to guide them through. Hints that would stick forever, if they choose to continue to write. I am inviting you to become a part of a circle of poets that help each other, criticize work with honorable words and inflict routes to find the right direction to a great poem.

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other.

Erika Brown grin

Everyone is welcome and invited to my site / profile to sit back, relax, and enoy their stay, feel free to leave any constructive criticism / likes / dislikes concerning the material you reviewed - I have an open door policy - and I will be more than willing to review your works as well - and if you want my honest opinion that I will give - if you need pointers on what you can do to improve your writing that I'll reveal - Poetry is my life - as it is displayed in my book "The Psalters Of The Field" - through poetry I'm able to take flight in every aspect of life and allow passengers (readers) to journey along with me...

So please climb aboard - journey unto my lands - and I will take you to the King's Castle - kdavidscott1 - KD - King David Of Is-Real / The Angelical Warrior

06-02-2009 at 04:52:27 PM

Hello all, my name is Nneka J. Howell, further known as Lady Poet. I've been writting for 10 years now, and I have a book being released this month entitled A POET'S HEART. You can catch it on amazon.com within 20 days. You can also contact me for more info. If you haven't visited my page, then feel free to do so. I would love you all to read my two poems posted and give your opinion. If you have myspace my page is http://www.myspace.com/ladypo3t
Also, if you all need someone to talk to or advice you can email me via lady.poet@ymail.com
THANKS ERIKA for everything
Do we just post our poem up here to be critiqued?
Or do they just visit out page?
This is a great way for people to become better poets
especially if they are not used to criticism.

BIG UPS TO MY PUBLISHER AND MY COMPANY
LIBERATED PUBLISHING

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!

-LADY P. big surprise big surprise big surprise

06-02-2009 at 05:21:55 PM
  • JustStella
  • JustStella

Thank you Erika for this opportunity! I would love to do this! Everyone is welcome to critique my poems and let me know what they really think. I am always open to improvement! If you also want some honest opinions out of me, let me know!

Thanks again to all,

Stella

06-02-2009 at 05:27:55 PM

I'm in- let me have it!
I completely agree with the concept of this forum.
As writers it's our job to paint the mental picture.
Sometimes when you're on the inside lookin around, you see things differently, than someone one the outside lookin in, and the meaning is lost.
The only training I've had, is "The School Of Hard Knocks." So any input would be welcome.
I try to "sink the nail" with everything I write. So feel free to call me on it.
I'm not fragile- lol
Also- it has been my experience that if you point out a flaw to someone, it will be all they notice. So out of respect for everyone on here, if I have a negitive comment, I will send it in a private message, rater than a public comment. This is not for the writers personal feelings, It's for the readers enjoyment. I don't want my opinion to influence anothers.
Thx

Last edited by Artie 06-02-2009 at 05:36:36 PM

06-02-2009 at 06:45:05 PM
  • ReluctantPoet
  • ReluctantPoet

I'll toss my hat into the ring here thanks for the invite

06-02-2009 at 07:10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademelissa74

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other.

Erika Brown grin

At this point of my writing career I dont care if anyone has any thoughts to improve my work. People give ratings and give comments becuase they care. So if someone took the time to read your work they deserve to have some input smile. I do agree with your opinion completely, so im not offended. So if someone was to critique my latest work im cool with it, they are going to laugh thier asses off but thats the idea for today smile.

06-02-2009 at 08:06:45 PM

I would love to be a part of this circle as well. If anyone is interested in reviewing and commenting on my poems, I will return the favor. Critiques just make us stronger writers-BRING IT ON!

06-03-2009 at 12:00:08 AM

I would appreciate any criticism on the poems that I post. I'd rather hear that it needs work than either "oh..., thats nice" or nothing at all. Count me in wink

06-03-2009 at 01:31:54 PM

Hey, this is new to me but what the heck, count me in. What do I need to do from here. I am definitlely open to criticism. Criticize away...

grin K

06-03-2009 at 01:46:13 PM

I'm definitely game... anything worth doing is worth doing well, so I'm open to hear what you guys have to say. I do agree with Artie that we should submit our negative criticisms to a poet in a private message to avoid having someone piggyback off our comments or to openly or publicly hurt someone's feelings if that be the case.

How do we proceed from here? Just go to peoples' pages and start critiquing or post and critique here in this forum? Thanks for a quick reply anyone...

06-03-2009 at 01:50:30 PM

Ooooh, I'd love to do this. My poems on this site are ones that no one has read before, and I'd love some feedback!

06-03-2009 at 02:33:05 PM

I am totally in. Critique away!

JL

06-03-2009 at 05:37:34 PM

I am always open to criticism. I'm just a beginer, but let me have it. tongue wink

06-03-2009 at 08:31:41 PM

Thank for the invitation. You sound like a lady on a mission. Actually I've been a member of a couple of Writers forums for years but can't even remember how I stumbled upon this site. Yes! All is good. Your suggestion is welcome but you're not talking about a solo run set up are you? As in you're 'the critic and we're the review-ie?
I'm guessing not ... I'm too opinionated not to join in with my three cents worth. We should all be willing to help each other and caring about others is a great personal safeguard against isolationist tendencies and other social liabilities.

06-04-2009 at 02:52:53 AM

Beat me down with what ever needs to be said please do not be scared I really need to understand where my poetry is going this is very important to me. grin LOL

06-04-2009 at 11:47:59 AM

Wow! I am so excited about all that we have accomplished so far. I have had comments and critiques on my work and I LOVE IT! I have also tried to read everyone's work and give my humble opinion.

I received a reply from a poet on this website, stating that she would not accept my invite since she didn't know the quality of my work and she didn't care about my opinion (quote on quote).

I formed this thread so that all that would be interested in having their poems read and criticized, would be able to have a diversity of opinions, and in return do the same for those who take the time to gift us with their time and interest.

I am not any better than anyone here. I express my feelings and love to write them on paper. Often times, I do not go back and study them and make critical observations, I just write them and this is when you guys come in grin The ones that love to read poetry and have agreed to criticize each other's work in a constructive and respectful manner.

Let us all have fun, enjoy the poetry exhibited and truly be grateful to those who have commented or criticized your work. They do not owe us anything, they're simply giving you a gift... their time!

I just want to say thank you to all of you that have come aboard. May God continue to bless you with a wide imagination, stretched wings and the power of speech!

Erika Brown

06-04-2009 at 05:11:48 PM

I'll give it a try, I read soo much as it is now ... more than one place doesn't help either. Lets do this, I'll find time for whats important to me AND YOU GUYS/GALS. I already know a couple of you k cool smile

Last edited by kdarcy 06-04-2009 at 05:13:05 PM

06-04-2009 at 05:18:49 PM

fire away! I welcome the oppertunity for improvment in my verse.

06-04-2009 at 06:26:28 PM

Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

I have to ask you all a question, ok????
If I write about faith in a religion,
then turn around and write an xxx poem,
with just as much passion, and skill
then would I get judged as a person or a poet?
Or would just the poem be judged?
This is an important question don't ya think?
So before we begin, I like some feed back on that.
I think it will be fun, but who am I to Criticise??
Sorry for being a pain, lol

John E WordSlinger

ok
laws where made to be broken by the poor
because laws were made to protect the rich,
so keep that in mind

http://www.bing.com/search?q=criticism&src=IE-SearchBox

It is my humble opinion that the two (person V. poet) cannot be separated, for your poetry is your observations on life, and your perception depends on you as a person. people are poets, poets are people...

but maybe I'm just to nieve to see what you're really getting at. I see the point of it all, makeing sure that we "keep it buiness" or something along those lines, and not start a word war about morality, but...

06-04-2009 at 07:14:17 PM

Words come from people, as well as emotions ... regardless of the topic, we all feel strongly about many things. Let us be kind to both the person and the poet. Let people drink where they will, without forcefully being led to the water. k cool smile

06-04-2009 at 08:48:29 PM

Wordslinger.. It would just be the poetry getting critiqued.. That is what we are here for.. Not to judge others but to help everyone get better at their writing.. As Erika said to us all when she asked us to join.. OR we asked her to ask people.. smile

I think everyone of us have our own opinions and we can express those in a way that is not hurtful and even if it is harsh we can say it in a way that will help the others write better.. Do you not agree??

Everyone who has POSTED on this thread is open to have their work read by anyone and critiqued. In return we can critique on the people who have POSTED. We cant just go and do it to anyone.. But ANYONE can do it us.. If you would like to critique look at the thread and click on someones profile and read their work..

Also just a tip, if you find no one is commenting your work and you would like it to be, reach out the hand and go and comment on someone else's work first.. 99% of the time they will return the favor.. If you want to be critiqued make sure you ask in the end of your comment that way they know and they will most likely return the favor.. Just remember if you get a comment to make sure you at least check the persons work out.. and try and comment if you can..

One other thing, If for some reason you get a really really nasty mean comment.. DONT feel the need to retaliate or spread it around.. Either delete the post and tell erika about it so she can speak to the person or send a private message yourself to the person.. But dont make someone else feel bad because you got a bad posting.. Please!!

MUCH LOVE!! excaim excaim

DirtyLilSecret excaim excaim excaim

OH!!! And if you comment or critique me i PROMISE excaim that i will comment back to your work.. IF you want a certain poem say that in the comment and if you want critique say that to please.. It might take me a day or so but i will comment back!!

In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.

Franz Kafka (1883-1924) Czech writer.