Original Poetry Forums

Haiku Poetry

07-05-2009 at 03:06:34 AM

Re: Haiku Poetry

Very nice! The forms are, generally, first line 5 syllables, second line 7, third line 5, for a three line poem. A five line poem is 5, 7, 5, 7, and 7 syllables.

07-06-2009 at 02:19:56 PM

Re: Re: Haiku Poetry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

P.S.

I don't mean to offend anyone, but I think that this conglomerate of nature, humanity, music love, and passion includes, to me, God. Have you ever noticed that just about any love song or poem can be interpreted as a song or poem written to God?

The cross over from religious to secular is a time travelled tradition. The black singers took the lead it seems to me way back in the forties when they took the fire out to the street crowd. Song writers in the Church have routinely highjacked tunes from the radio and re-tuned them to suit the coffee house crowd.
I used to do it myself when I was in a Gospel group.

07-06-2009 at 06:45:03 PM

I am glad to see we agree Neville. Interesting. It has given me am idea about a poem that has this as the main idea.

07-06-2009 at 07:50:58 PM

Temporal

Sweet music,
in the notes detected;
fair beauty,
in youth and the sage reflected;
spring love,
a promise seasonally returning;
delicate flower,
a song of floral yearning;
natural springs,
a mineral bouquet;
romantic comedy,
laughter in the play;
love sonnetts,
strings of hearts being swayed;
once blind,
insight when we have strayed;
gospel singers,
angels in the chorus;
hot summer nights,
clinging in the forests;
moon so blue,
unhappy and love lost;
passionate for you,
a touch we hope will last;
a time to renew,
and gather stones together;
dear Lord,
help us survive the stormy weather;
save us from harm,
to contemplate the galaxy;
and guide us through,
to understand the ecstasy;
the wondrous world
temporal and inviting;
created in your image,
we see you everywhere residing;
to know and voice understanding
and where you are,
molecular ,
eveywhere we turn;
your touch,
macro waxing in us;
by all connected,
and by your spirit directed;
true powers ,
swords
of letters,
and in four words:
the power of yes.

07-07-2009 at 10:31:21 PM

Hmmm ... That my friend was inspired. Carried into the light by a golden pen no doubt. grin

Nice touch - the power of YES!

With undertones of ... PERMISSIVENESS IN FREE WILL AND (unsolicited) DIVINE COMMITMENT THROUGH GRACE.

Last edited by NevillePark 07-07-2009 at 10:38:30 PM

07-08-2009 at 07:56:48 PM

Grace and yes are one
and so remain forever,
power from the son.

07-08-2009 at 07:58:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

Grace and yes are one
and so remain forever,
power from the son.

Actually, this is a senyru. See the connection to haiku?

07-10-2009 at 08:03:43 AM

Really? I write stuff in senyru sometimes and I didn't even know it. big surprise
I'm a little slow on the up-take with some things to find corollaries. I guess I like goal oriented details with out knowing the what or whys so much.

I imagine the Japanese have the market cornered when it comes to definitions because they've been at it longer than us North Americans.

07-10-2009 at 09:29:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcourier

My two favorite haiku's...

Tree frog clinging
to banana leaf
and swinging, swinging
-Basho

and most famously....

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
The twelve red strawberries
-Richard Brautigan

LOL

Can you 'splain that one Lucy? At first I thought maybe it had something to do with HTML color codes but strawberry red is FF 300 (series thereof).
Maybe the original writing was in red ink? gulp

Last edited by NevillePark 07-10-2009 at 09:31:32 PM

07-11-2009 at 10:17:14 AM

LOL! Yes, please, would someone explain?

07-20-2009 at 01:05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanket

Here is my attempt at nature/zen haiku....no promises!

Rust leaves dance on branch

the limb is bare underneath

Fall sweeps in the cold.

very nice! strick guidelines followed very neatly.

07-22-2009 at 02:14:07 PM

Hey!
I was reading over my copy of THE WRITER mag( July issue).
On the markets page is a connection some of you might be interested in. Out of Nassau NY.

FROGPOND - Features haiku and related forms ; $1/poem for postal submissions,
-Articles,essays and reviews. Cirulation is 20,000. Check it out at

... ithican@earthlinc.net. & www.hsa-haiku.org LOL

Last edited by NevillePark 07-22-2009 at 02:15:36 PM

07-22-2009 at 09:42:48 PM

Thanks Neville. Here is the official definition from the Haiku Society of America.

"Preliminary Notes: All of these words originate in the Japanese language, where they refer to types of Japanese literature. These definitions, however, are intended for people reading and writing in English. Like the members of the earlier definitions committee, we hope the results of our efforts are faithful to the spirit of these words' Japanese origins and provide insight into contemporary English-language usage and practice. As in Japanese, defined word is its own plural. (We considered adding "tanka" in 1993, but have decided to leave that in the hands of the recently founded Tanka Society of America, which can be found on the Web at http://hometown.aol.com/tsapoetry/TankaSocietyofAmerica-index.html.)

The committee also notes that a definition is neither a lesson nor instruction for writing. Rather, it seeks to clarify the differences between the meaning of one word and the meanings of others. Those who wish to learn more of haiku must read the best haiku they can find, not merely definitions of haiku. The same for the other types of poems defined here. The numerous "Haiku Collections" on the HSA Web site, at http://www.hsa-haiku.org/haikucollections.htm, are a good place to start.

We have attempted to provide a succinct, yet accurate definition for the core meaning of each of these terms, followed by notes that contribute to a more rounded understanding of each. To complete the record, an appendix with the earlier definitions of 1973 follows the body of our report.

HAIKU

Definition: A haiku is a short poem that uses imagistic language to convey the essence of an experience of nature or the season intuitively linked to the human condition.

Notes: Most haiku in English consist of three unrhymed lines of seventeen or fewer syllables, with the middle line longest, though today's poets use a variety of line lengths and arrangements. In Japanese a typical haiku has seventeen "sounds" (on) arranged five, seven, and five. (Some translators of Japanese poetry have noted that about twelve syllables in English approximates the duration of seventeen Japanese on.) Traditional Japanese haiku include a "season word" (kigo), a word or phrase that helps identify the season of the experience recorded in the poem, and a "cutting word" (kireji), a sort of spoken punctuation that marks a pause or gives emphasis to one part of the poem. In English, season words are sometimes omitted, but the original focus on experience captured in clear images continues. The most common technique is juxtaposing two images or ideas (Japanese rensô). Punctuation, space, a line-break, or a grammatical break may substitute for a cutting word. Most haiku have no titles, and metaphors and similes are commonly avoided. (Haiku do sometimes have brief prefatory notes, usually specifying the setting or similar facts; metaphors and similes in the simple sense of these terms do sometimes occur, but not frequently. A discussion of what might be called "deep metaphor" or symbolism in haiku is beyond the range of a definition. Various kinds of "pseudohaiku" have also arisen in recent years; see the Notes to "senryu", below, for a brief discussion.)"

08-09-2009 at 07:47:01 PM

Ding

08-10-2009 at 10:28:39 AM

I was a stubborn English student in high school. I hated writing haikus. I didn't like having to explain myself in three lines, and I didn't like being told what to write about. This form and I...we have a rough history.

08-10-2009 at 11:50:55 AM

From deep waters rose
A beast behind tainted mask
Of deviant mind wink

08-10-2009 at 11:11:35 PM

There once was a train from Wisconsin
Whose driver was Jeremy Johnson
It was loaded with cheese
Which was making him sneeze
They said no when he asked do you want some.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

08-11-2009 at 12:30:12 AM

Quote:

posted by lightcourier

0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0
The twelve red strawberries
-Richard Brautigan

posted by neville
Can you 'splain that one Lucy? At first I thought maybe it had something to do with HTML color codes but strawberry red is FF 300 (series thereof).
Maybe the original writing was in red ink?

You got to ask Brautigan about that. A supreme antinominalist. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Last edited by lightcourier 08-11-2009 at 12:30:52 AM

08-19-2009 at 02:40:33 PM

LOL!! Hey Neville your on the wrong thread Limericks are elsewhere. But very neat!

Last edited by aggieprof 08-19-2009 at 02:41:08 PM

08-19-2009 at 06:22:27 PM

Snow(Tanka)

Lithe white cranes gather.
Bright sun glints on wings and trees.
Dance display to joy.

Storm snow muted dale and stream.
Melted seeds to be now sown.

08-19-2009 at 07:22:51 PM

I wonder if this one would be classed as Haiku Poetry...

Snow clinging to boughs
Make a frosty winter scene
For us, and the fowls

oh oh gogant

08-19-2009 at 07:27:10 PM

I think that it is a haiku Gogant.

08-19-2009 at 07:33:51 PM

Eden flowers(Haiku)

Fawn winged doves flutter.
Pasture of gilded colors.
Wings abreast season.

08-19-2009 at 11:43:37 PM

Quote;
LOL!! Hey Neville your on the wrong thread Limericks are elsewhere. But very neat!

I think I shoulda turnd left instead of right three pages back.
Oh well ...Hot poem - ' had to drop it in somewhere. smile

08-20-2009 at 08:18:18 PM

Glad you did. Good limerick.

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.