Original Poetry Forums

Importance of categorizing Poems

03-28-2009 at 07:08:03 AM

Importance of categorizing Poems

I'm not sure on how important placing a submitted poem in the proper category is so I'm left to ask, is submitting a poem in one category different than another? I write in most aspects to reach more than three such such categories, so how does one decide the proper classification?

03-28-2009 at 04:50:54 PM

Re: Importance of categorizing Poems

I don't think it is very important at all.

The best poems I have read are full of ideas and symbology that covers at least two or three categories.

I think they should have a category emotional solophistic crying. But noone would put their poems there. Heck, i have a few I could put there myself though.

Painful to read 20-30 years later.

Speaking of solophists, They had a big convention of about 20,000 last year in San Francisco, but everyone considered it a bust cause they thought they were the only ones there. lol

05-13-2009 at 04:04:36 AM

Well, just from the ones I've submitted, I'd have to admit, trying to decide which "category" to put it in, took almost as long as it took to compose the poem. The categories seem to be from an emotional point of view. For instance, my work entitled, "HELP!", one person can read it and get a sad feeling; and someone else can read it and get pissed off. Read it and you tell me which category I should have put it in.

05-13-2009 at 03:30:46 PM

It's not important to me, but it's probably important for whoever is searching for that specific type of poem. That's how I try to see it.

05-23-2009 at 01:35:06 PM

hi its sugarcane1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccslim

I'm not sure on how important placing a submitted poem in the proper category is so I'm left to ask, is submitting a poem in one category different than another? I write in most aspects to reach more than three such such categories, so how does one decide the proper classification?
Its simple,you can go to a liabrary and find out what category its in.i really don't know what category i'm in and i never have been curious about iteither.I just write it and try to put it in here.Also what can you. not find in a liarbray?you could ask the clerk.some are helpful.Just explain what your looking for and i'm sure they'll assist from there.

05-23-2009 at 02:06:05 PM

I think it is more of a relevant thing at least that how I took it when submitting poems...I just said hmmmmm what was I feeling when I wrote this and placed it in the catagory.

Poetry comes nearer to vital truth than history.

Plato (BC 427-BC 347) Greek philosopher.