Original Poetry Forums

NY TIMES/ Poetry

04-04-2009 at 01:02:25 PM

THE POETRY STREET JOURNAL

Here is news about poetry, in the times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/books/review/Holt-t.html?_r=1

Myth No. 1: Poetry is painful to memorize. It is not at all painful. Just do a line or two a day.

Myth No. 2: There isn’t enough room in your memory to store a lot of poetry. Bad analogy. Memory is a muscle, not a quart jar.

Myth No. 3: Everyone needs an iPod. You do not need an iPod. Memorize poetry instead.

Last edited by WordSlinger 04-06-2009 at 12:35:02 PM

04-08-2009 at 04:16:52 PM
  • FoF
  • FoF

Re: NY TIMES/ Poetry

By the time I have finished a piece - I have it memorized. I can, by memory, recall at least two dozen of my own works, a few of Shakespeare's soliloquys (To be, or not to be, that is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous....yeah, yeah yeah) - and some of my favorite classics, ie: Stopping by the woods....and I practice with the Declaration of Independence.

I was amazed, when recently challenged by friends, to recite "Twas The Night Before Christmas" - I flubbed one line (and I memorized this when I was twelve).

Memory is a "muscle" mechanism and only gets stronger when you insist on using it on a regular basis.

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA