Original Poetry Forums

On Poetry 27

04-10-2010 at 02:13:10 PM

RE: RE: On Poetry 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

Originally Posted by kabbalistic

To put it yet another way, I am presenting these concepts and techniques from the vantage point of a working poet, and NOT as rules and regulations. I know that these ideas will work because I have used them in my own work, therefore I have attempted to put ''shoeleather'' on them. I am merely a conduit of information, not an SS officer; therefore I research this information so you, dear poet, won't have to! I am putting the cookie jar where the ''kiddies'' can reach it! LOL Now, for our lesson! In order to inject piquancy into his/her work, the poet may choose to repeat any unit of sound from smallest to largest, to include individual vowel and/or consonant sounds, entire syllables, words, phrases, lines or groups of lines. In a well crafted piece, such repetition must serve at least three purposes: to please the ear; to provide emphasis and reinforce meaning ,idea, and to give structure to the piece. A syllable consists of one vowel sound usually preceded or followed by consonant sounds which may be repeated. When consonant sounds in the beginning of a syllable are repeated, this is known as alliteration. Some examples: tried and true, safe and sound, rhyme or reason, etc. On the other hand, repetition of vowel sounds is known as assonance. Some examples: mad as a hatter, free and easy, high and dry, etc. Repetition can also occur at the end of a syllable, and this would be known as consonance. Examples: odds and ends, short and sweet, a stroke of luck, etc. These kinds of repetition can be used on their own or in combination. When alliteration and assonance are combined, you’ll get: time and tide; thick and thin; fit as a fiddle, and Poe’s famous line; “The viol, the violet, and the vine.” Alliteration and consonance, on the other hand, will produce catchy little phrases such as: crisscross; last but not least; good as gold, etc. Now, whenever assonance and consonance “hook up”, do you know what you have? You have rhyme! We will consider rhyme next time!

THANKS, Teacher

Have you seen my classic alliteration, for today?

In Hades, to count ceaselssly, countlng countless sheep

Applause, Professor Kabbalistic! ..................THANKS:wink

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-04-2010 at 06:59:55 PM

04-18-2010 at 04:56:05 PM
  • kabbalistic
  • kabbalistic

If You Wish For Me to Critique Your Pieces...

Please leave me either a link or the text in the body of your posted poem, on this thread, if you wish for me to give you my opinion, which I will do to the best of my ability and as time allows. Please be patient with me as I am not always in the best of health. Please leave me your stuff ONLY if you want honest and fair critique; I promise to temper honesty with tact and mercy and will confine myself strictly to the merits of the poem and its effectiveness. Any major issues can be dealt with in private, using site mail. Anyone wishing to submit editorials, sermons or religious manifestos under the guise of poetic expression, should seek critique elsewhere, as I will refuse to review it.[sicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksickrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyes

04-18-2010 at 07:21:10 PM
  • kabbalistic
  • kabbalistic

RE: RE: RE: On Poetry 27

Quote:

You could do these in your sleep, brother Oren! You're a magnificent poet! Now, give us some consonance!cheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheese

05-04-2010 at 07:19:15 PM

RE: RE: RE: RE: On Poetry 27

Quote:

You could do these in your sleep, brother Oren! You're a magnificent poet! Now, give us some consonance!cheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheesecheese

Thanks, for your compliment. Only a magnificent man can compliment another magnificently. Yeah, I have, My Friend, Professor Kabbalistic, In fact, it looks even better , isolated in your brilliant lecture. I am ashamed to admit that I had forgotten what is 'assonance" , and i am not joking. It's a serious admission. Thanks for reviving that verse technique in my memory I promise some will appear in my next history poem, "The Black Death".. "Let us not be weary in well doing" (Galatians 6:9).

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-04-2010 at 07:25:31 PM

Poetry is not the expression of personality but an escape from personality.

T. S. Eliot (1888-1965) American-English poet and playwright.