Original Poetry Forums

My Position; To BP, or not to BP

06-25-2010 at 05:05:37 AM

My Position; To BP, or not to BP

Before I begin this thought, I am in the progress of researching BPs take on the oil tragedy, and that I have absolutely NO KNOWLEDGE of how the oil industry operates. I don't understand their corporate position, or how their supply, and demand works in terms of 'volume'. What I do understand is the earth, and the precious life which dwells within. -but I'm trying to learn all the turtleneck stuff, to be fair, n' all!wink

Today while driving home through a town close to me(which we consider to be a heartbeat community- with a population of a whopping 1200!) I see children, with a loud tattooed woman, picketing outside the 'big green sun' better known as BP!-or fastNfresh, as my kids call it! They held bold signs, pointing a finger at BP, at motorists, at- well, even themselves, as far as I'm concerned. They claimed, with their very loud, very tattooed Momma(nothing against tattoos, I have a couple myself), that if we do buisness at the BP, we are ALL murderers. Well you know me, I HAD to pull in, and poke around this display! I thought to myself, how I do agree with them/ but this should have been preached loooong before the coast got liquid cancer!- I thought about why these signs, and finger pointers weren't out pre- oil 'oops'!, I thought about what they wish to accomplish, while car, after truck, zoomed by them- and filled up.
hmmm- I wonder..

So, I put their convictions to the test. I rode up, and parked my Mustang close enough for momma cat to smell- grabbed a piece of tree out of my journal(like you don't always carry a journal too-lol) and wrote FOR SALE $150.00 or BO/ owner moving, and needs to sell. Now my car is worth a field full of oil more than this..ok, well, maybe a backyard full- more.. but you get the jist! I stuck it behind a wiper, looked over, and smiled at the picketers.

Here comes momma cat-
'You selling your horse?'

"-Yep." I said, "I'm in a bind, moving next week."

'Anything wrong with 'er?'

"-Hell no. She's in top running condition. Hate to sell her, but you know how it is?Ya know anybody interested in buying a cherry racing stang?"

'Yah!'-she says, with a I won the lottery look on her face-'ME!
I can give you, 125.00 in cash right now!'

"Hmm",- I said,.." well, this stang has 5.0 fuel injection/ and a large power gain-She has a newer Mustang supercharger kit add'd with long tube headers. -She can dance!-one thing though- when you wanna get dirty, better peak her on the fuel, because when you hit about 75, that injection kicks in- and bam.. you'll loose about quarter tank in a matter of a 3ml. stretch, but I promise you this- if you can drive her, you can win that loss back every time!" -smile.

Without even a wince, the 'lady' smiled, and said, "No problem hun, my Dad owns a service station in the next town. I get my gas cheap. Mind if I take it over to his place so he can have a peek at it, before I buy it?"

I seriously, had to physically keep myself from breaking down and crying right in front of her.-or/jumpin' her like a spider monkey, and whoopin' the stank phoni-ness out of her!

-Well, I looked at her for sec- smile faded, and finally I said to her- "Ya know your gas isn't the only thing that's cheap, your ideals need a tune up!"
*of course at this point, she called me the same word she had tattoed on her bicep, along with some other colorful phrases, lol.*

As I tore up the bunk for sale sign, and got in my sweet lil' 'back sunshine'- I thought for a moment about the fact that I was really no diffrent then that woman. I am researching the devastion that spill will have on our enviroment, and almost threw up from some recent duck pictures I seen. Have cried on my daughters shoulder, prayed, and wrote several poems on the matter- but here I am, air conditioner blairin', Zepplin on the stereo blarin', definately gonna find a 'no cops, no speed limit'-road at sundown.. and open my sweetheart up, just to hear her purrrrrrr- like only she can do. Will I be thinking about how I am helping to murder the planet in this moment of AHHH- nope. Will, I be crying for the poisoned ducks whose eyes are bleeding from the toxins-probably not.. will I be gettin' my chrome on- Yep!
That is- until, I need gas.
Then..as I roll into the BP station, and grab that nozzle to fill 'er up,- the shame will once again begin to wash over me.

Am I a hypocrit? Are you? - How can we blame BP, when we are the consumers, unable to 'do without' the petroleum consumption we so desperatly need, and are unwilling to sacrifice?

What's your position?
I got a fresh pot brewin'-
oh ohMaddi

06-25-2010 at 08:50:29 AM

RE: My Position; To BP, or not to BP

Coffee please,

here ya go, let me share something where, you all can get your voice heard.
All ages welcome.

Mark Vallen, posted on his site;
BP exhibit, the Aquarium of the Pacific announced its “Sea Otter Poetry Contest.” Commencing May 20, 2010, and running until August 15, 2010, contestants worldwide are being asked to submit a poem no longer than 300 words on the theme of sea otters. Poems are to be judged in two categories: those penned by writers’ ages 13 through 20, and those written by authors over 21. All entries must be submitted digitally or by mail, by midnight Aug. 15, 2010. First Prize winners will have their works published in the Aquarium’s magazine and on the Aquarium’s website, plus assorted prizes for Second and Third Prize winners. The Aquarium of the Pacific will announce the winners on October 27, 2010. Details on entering the BP sponsored Poetry Contest can be found on the Aquarium’s website.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/exhibits/otters/sea_otter_poetry_contest/

Poetry has always provided a means to touch the heart as well as the intellect, and many a poet has dedicated verse and rhyme to excoriate the evils of the day, using the evocative language of poetry as social protest – the BP sponsored Aquarium of the Pacific’s Sea Otter Poetry Contest presents no less an opportunity. I believe that every lover of the written word should submit a poem to this contest, as it is a creative way to denounce BP’s role in destroying our planet, as well as expressing our vision of humanity truly at peace with the natural world.

Though sea otters do not live in the Gulf of Mexico, creative writers will no doubt be able to pen verse that connects the aquatic mammal with the crimes against nature being committed by BP. For those who wish to submit a poem of outrage to the Sea Otter Poetry Contest, but hesitate to do so out of concern that the BP sponsored Aquarium will simply ignore the entry, simply “CC” an e-mail copy of your poem to Art For A Change – where I will post the best submissions on October 27, 2010, the very day the winners of the BP sponsored Poetry Contest are announced by the Aquarium of the Pacific.

vallen@art-for-a-change.com

http://www.art-for-a-change.com

Last edited by WordSlinger 06-25-2010 at 11:27:14 AM

06-25-2010 at 08:55:25 AM

RE: RE: My Position; To BP, or not to BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Coffee please,

All ages welcome.

BP exhibit, the Aquarium of the Pacific announced its “Sea Otter Poetry Contest.” Commencing May 20, 2010, and running until August 15, 2010, contestants worldwide are being asked to submit a poem no longer than 300 words on the theme of sea otters. Poems are to be judged in two categories: those penned by writers’ ages 13 through 20, and those written by authors over 21. All entries must be submitted digitally or by mail, by midnight Aug. 15, 2010. First Prize winners will have their works published in the Aquarium’s magazine and on the Aquarium’s website, plus assorted prizes for Second and Third Prize winners. The Aquarium of the Pacific will announce the winners on October 27, 2010. Details on entering the BP sponsored Poetry Contest can be found on the Aquarium’s website.

Poetry has always provided a means to touch the heart as well as the intellect, and many a poet has dedicated verse and rhyme to excoriate the evils of the day, using the evocative language of poetry as social protest – the BP sponsored Aquarium of the Pacific’s Sea Otter Poetry Contest presents no less an opportunity. I believe that every lover of the written word should submit a poem to this contest, as it is a creative way to denounce BP’s role in destroying our planet, as well as expressing our vision of humanity truly at peace with the natural world.

Though sea otters do not live in the Gulf of Mexico, creative writers will no doubt be able to pen verse that connects the aquatic mammal with the crimes against nature being committed by BP. For those who wish to submit a poem of outrage to the Sea Otter Poetry Contest, but hesitate to do so out of concern that the BP sponsored Aquarium will simply ignore the entry, simply “CC” an e-mail copy of your poem to Art For A Change – where I will post the best submissions on October 27, 2010, the very day the winners of the BP sponsored Poetry Contest are announced by the Aquarium of the Pacific.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

BP or not to BP! BUY PETROL or not to BUY PETROL

MADDI,. MADDI. Lil' Sis! MADDI. WHAT A STORY! I'LL BUY YOUR MUSTANG FOR Fifty Cents!..................................LOL. But I would buy your story for a hundred million dollars, if I had the money ,and you were selling.
PEACE and LOVE, Maddi. Sincerely, Big Brother.

Last edited by cousinsoren 06-25-2010 at 09:02:02 AM

06-25-2010 at 08:55:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Coffee please,

All ages welcome.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

MADDI,. MADDI. Lil' Sis! MADDI. WHAT A STORY! I'LL BUY YOUR MUSTANG FOR Fifty Centa!..................................LOL. But I would buy your story for a hundred milloion dollar,if I had the money ,and you were selling.
PEACE, Maddi. Sincerely, Big Brother.

06-25-2010 at 11:15:19 AM

This is Leading to Depression

Direct your energies to poetry, and art.
Don't let all of this bring you down.
I think we need to boost over BP, and Aunt Pam needs to speak out,
because Uncle Sam, has played way to many poker games on substances with our money.

A snipet from the article, unbelievable.

Marc and Frank Kruse said their brother would still be alive today if he had believed he was making an impact against the oil that was threatening the waters he loved.

Instead, he told them, cleanup boats were placed close to shore, just so onlookers would think work was being done.

"Madness. It's just a dog and pony show," Marc Kruse said. "Send them out. Ride around. Let everybody see them. Bring them back in."

The Story of Allen Kruse
http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/25/gulf.oil.disaster.suicide/index.html?hpt=C1

My Newest Poems on this Disaster:
http://www.originalpoetry.com/the-escape-of-the-goliaths-through-labri

http://www.originalpoetry.com/the-arc-of-aunt-pam

And one Previous at the beginning
http://www.originalpoetry.com/the-oceans-black-death

06-25-2010 at 12:56:01 PM

Examiner.com and Nadette Adams Features BP Poems

Examiner.com and Nadette Adams Features BP Poems
Poet seeks BP Gulf oil spill poetry to feature in column

http://www.examiner.com/x-7666-New-Orleans-Literature-Examiner~y2010m5d27-Poet-seeks-BP-Gulf-oil-spill-poetry-to-feature-in-column?#comments

06-25-2010 at 04:12:18 PM

BP or not to BP! BUY PETROL or not to BUY PETROL

'MADDI,. MADDI. Lil' Sis! MADDI. WHAT A STORY! I'LL BUY YOUR MUSTANG FOR Fifty Cents!..................................LOL. But I would buy your story for a hundred million dollars, if I had the money ,and you were selling.
PEACE and LOVE, Maddi. Sincerely, Big Brother'- Oren

LOL!! Tell ya what Big Brother- if ya can beat me in a drag race.. she's yours!
-But if I win.. Jamaica here I come!
LOL, but cuzzie- I been backroad drag racin' my whole life, and in cars not even half as fast as 'Black Sunshine' is- and haven't lost yet,lol!
-Madditongue rolleye

06-27-2010 at 02:11:08 AM

Hello all. Just stopping for a moment to rest my feet. I may as well respond to the strings here in the forums because I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that nobody reads my poetry.

I brought my own tea again. Frankly, I hate herbal unless it has to be choked down for medicinal or magickal purposes. I'll take orange/black pekoe anytime.

Do I feel badly when I pull up to the pump...

No, not really. Not if I'm driving MY car, anyway. My car, an ATV truck actually, is a 2 passenger, 4 cyl Suzuki X90. I throw twenty bucks in the tank and drive her for a week. She's getting old, they don't make 'em like her anymore...she even appears in a book about some of the worst cars of all time. I guess she doesn't do well in accidents' has a tendency to roll. Fortunately that hasn't been much of an issue. Issi, that's her name, has been an excellent and safe car for all the years I've had her and she and I have traveled more than a quarter of a million miles together. I'm told she's got the rest of that million in her but she's a classic case of the spirit being willing while the flesh is weak. A Suzuki's motor might go a million miles but the bodies are notorious for rotting away long before then no matter how much salt you wash off during the winter. Breaks my heart. Not like I can replace her. I guess when she finally gives up the ghost I'll have no choice but to invest in a Smart Car. Hell, I think they're cute!

There's a BP station just down the road from my house. The people who work there are very religious, pius folk who take the extraordinary step of pinning reproductions of Renaissance likenesses of their savior to the front window, I suppose, to remind them that Jesus is watching. Their other distinction is that they are the only gas station in a fifty mile radius that is full service. They pump my gas, wash my windows and shoot the breeze all for what passes as reasonable gas prices these days. And if I happen to be nearby when my needle slips into the E I pull in and let them do their job. And I don't feel guilty about that either because BP the company...those shortsighted, black gold vampires...do not own these stations. They are independently owned.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/06/boycotting_bp_gas_stations_ove_1.html

So when folks boycott them, all they're doing is destroying the livelyhood of their neighbors. They're not hurting BP much at all. And of late I've noticed that these nice people aren't open as much as they used to be and when they are, it's always the same guy manning the pump. I imagine that, by the end of the summer, his price sign will be off for good and the Jesus pictures will be gone from the windows and another American family will be on unemployment. Way to go, friends and neighbors!

I do feel guilty, though, during those times when I have to take my husband's car, which I try to do as little as possible. This car is called the Gray Ghost. He's a mean sob...a 1986 Chevy el Camino with a jacked up rear end and a 350 small block under the hood with a turbo booster controlled by a slap stick shift. Now not being a motorhead, this means absolutely nothing to me but every testosterone packing race enthusiast seems to feel the need to pull up along side at stop lights and challenge the bad boy. I just let them go, feeling all happy with themselves that their usually reproductions of past classics has left the old Chevy behind. I don't care...to me it's a waste of gas. To Himself, however, it's a point of pride. He hits that slap shift and engages the turbo and the torque on that baby takes off like a rocket. He leaves 'em in the dust and you can literally watch the needle slide right down onto the big red E. Stupid. That's the sort of wastfulness that has put us right where we are. But hell, all that oil was put there by the maker with us in mind, wasn't it? The earth belongs to us, doesn't it? We should worship the creator, not the creation...right? Seems maybe we're closing the barn door after the horse is long gone. Now we get to harvest what we've sown, wasteful children that we are. When we find ourselves living under a dome we've got nobody to blame but ourselves. Try this metaphor cocktail... It may be too late go get ourselves back to the garden because we paved paradise and put up a parking lot. And what is asphalt? Yeah, we did this ourselves.

Peace
JL

07-06-2010 at 07:58:34 PM

The Assault Against Railroads, and Solutions

The Assault Against Railroads
Is it time to rebuild the railroads?

The final three-decade blowout of the cheap fossil-fuel fiesta led to the supremacy of the automobile and the fabulous network of highways that provided so much employment and so many real-estate development opportunities. This is all rather unfortunate because we are on the verge of experiencing one of the sharpest discontinuities in human history.
We're heading into a permanent global oil crisis. It is going to change the terms of everyday life very starkly. We will be a far less affluent nation than we were in the 20th century. The automobile is now set to become a diminishing presence in our lives. We will not have the resources to maintain the highways that made Happy Motoring so normal and universal.

Obama's interviews about more fuel efficient automobiles are not quite as interesting or important as what he has said about rebuilding the infrastructure of the nation which would put, literally, millions to work and give us something more than hot air to explain where all of the invested money went. Bridges, roads, schools, as well as improved and expanded energy grids would do something important for the country. But we also seem to be in the mood for something so classic that the millions who want to pitch in and do something need a clear path into the future.

If this nation set the goal of rebuilding the railroads and working out something with Detroit automakers that would produce the engines and the passenger and luggage cars, we would be on the way into a new kind of American life.

It may seem far out to move back into trains in a big way after Detroit has successfully spent so many years convincing Americans that an automobile is almost a constitutional right, but it makes much more sense than you might think. We also have a big asset: Obama possesses the sober, charismatic and inspirational power to get Americans to think beyond what we have all accepted, such as disappointment in the federal government.
Rebuilding and expanding our train system would bring about extremely fruitful construction projects. The new routes would add various levels of service to meet what could become a revolutionary number of customers who could not only count on speed, but also rely on the scenic experience that is much more likely when one is not driving.
It would also get us away from the gasoline pump that has upended the American economy for the worst. With such independence from a toxic relationship to oil which literally goes up in smoke to the tune of almost $800 billion a year, we could push the Middle East and the Russians into the train business.
Think about it. If the country could commit to bullet trains, first on the Eastern Corridor then linking it to Chicago before building on to the major centers of the South and the Southwest then finally the West Coast, top to bottom, we might actually enter a modern age that would benefit all of us, from the worker to the investor and on out to the public at large. The Japanese have already refined bullet train technology so it is there for the adapting to our landscape and our needs.

Rebuilding the nation's passenger railroad has got to be put at the top of our priority list. We had a system not so long ago that was the envy of the world; now we have service that we should be ashamed of.

The tracks are still lying out there rusting in the rain, waiting to be fixed. The job doesn't require the reinvention of anything -- we already know how to do it. Rebuilding the system would put scores of thousands of people to work at meaningful jobs at all levels. The fact that we're barely talking about it shows what an unserious people we have become.

We are, in effect, our own generators of hope. Rebuilding the American railroad system is an excellent place to start recovering our sense of purpose.

This was a mixed post from the following Journalists:

Source. Stanley Crouch, NY Dailey News
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2008/11/17/2008-11-17_barack_obama_should_rebuild_our_railroad.html

Chelsea Green Publishing James Howard Kunstler
[ur]http://www.alternet.org/story/143716/it's_time_to_rebuild_our_passenger_railroad_system[/url]

Executive Intelligence Review:
The Assault Against Railroads

http://www.larouchepub.com/other/2002/2934rail_infra.html

http://www.savingesnarailroad.com/trestle_78-7.htm

07-11-2010 at 04:27:51 PM

RE:railroads

Rebuilding railroads is futile unless reality is faced. If I have to pay a taxi to get to the station and rent a car when I get there, guess what. But if on long trips I can drive my car to the station, check it in and at the end of a high speed trip, get off, check out my car (which was on special hauling car attached to the train) and drive a way I'M all for it.

07-11-2010 at 05:52:32 PM

Aggie, I agree, I was wondering when someone was going to voice here.
All factors are truly valid, cycling, would help also.
thank you WS

07-11-2010 at 07:06:49 PM

Railroad versus Road

In terms of fuel efficiency, railroads are three times more fuel-efficient than trucks. If just 10 percent of the freight moved by highway were diverted to rail, the nation could save as much as 200 million gallons of fuel each year. And, railroad fuel efficiency has increased by 72 percent since 1980. Prior to 1980, a gallon of diesel fuel moved one ton of freight an average of 235 miles. In 2001, the same amount of fuel moved one ton of freight an average of 406 miles. Overall, railroads and rail suppliers have reduced the weight and increased the capacity of rail cars to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions.

Studies also indicate the diversion of freight traffic from truck to rail can reduce highway congestion. For example:

* One intermodal train can take 280 trucks (equal to 1,100 cars) off our already congested highways
* Trains carrying other types of freight can take up to 500 trucks off the highway.

A study of 50 major U.S. metro areas by transportation consultant Wendell Cox found that the diversion of 25 percent of truck freight to rail would lead, by 2025, to:

* 2.8 billion fewer traveler-hours wasted in congested traffic
* A savings of 16 billion gallons of fuel
* Nearly 800,000 fewer tons of air pollution.

07-11-2010 at 07:11:06 PM

Great addition Aria, awesome.
Train rides are romantic, poetic, and economic,
how can we as mankind go wrong.
Studies also show that nature is observed,
and stress is reduced, by a vaction on a train.
I am not counting the days when me and Madelynn will travel to Emilys and Poes
for our vaction, but whoo do I want to go now,

WS

Last edited by WordSlinger 07-13-2010 at 11:04:57 AM

07-21-2010 at 06:29:41 PM

There's no reason Europe or China should have the fastest trains

"The goal is to create attractive alternatives to long drives and short flights, which would relieve road and air congestion; reduce carbon emissions, highway deaths and dependence on oil from foreign thugs or the blackened Gulf; create jobs, jump start a new domestic manufacturing industry; and improve the conpetitiveness and convenience of the U.S. economy."

"You wouldn't have to get to the airport ridiculously early, take off your shoes, turn off your phone or pay extra for luggage; you wouldn't have to worry about the weather or some Icelandic volcano canceling your trip. You wouldn't have to watch the road, wait in traffic, find parking or pull over to stretch your legs; you wouldn't risk arrest or an accident by drinking or texting." -Time, July 2010

Read more, and Videos:

http://www.ushsr.com/

07-25-2010 at 03:00:05 PM

Maglev Trains-The Future of Train Transportation

New technologies such as magnetic levitation or maglev trains may increase train speed even more. These trains don't have wheels but rather travel on superconducting magnetic rails, but they're expensive to build and maintain.

The Future of Train Transportation

The future of train transportation will be dictated by the price and availability of oil, the determination of governments to find alternate modes of travel and the public demand for economical, fast transportation. For example, Europe's high passenger rail traffic was driven in part by historical precedent and the price of gasoline. It has improved with advancements of high-speed trains and dedicated passenger railway lines.

In the United States, passenger rail traffic hasn't caught on for several reasons:

•The country lacks a passenger rail network that's independent of the freight railroad system, so not all areas of the country have access to railroads.
•Until recently, the price of oil has still been relatively cheap, which makes automobiles and airlines more desirable modes of transportation for many people.
•Many trains are still relatively slow or make many stops. For example, a train trip from Raleigh, N.C. to Washington, D.C., can take five hours, which is the same amount of time that it takes to drive between these two cities.
However, as oil prices increase, Americans will seek alternative means for long-distance travel, and trains are a good candidate.

But retooling U.S. railroads for passenger traffic won't be easy. For example, travelers will most likely want high-speed trains like those in Europe and Japan. But high-speed trains are expensive to build and maintain. They also work best on dedicated passenger railways. Furthermore, the railways must reach more cities and destinations than they do now. So, making railroads a major form of passenger transportation will require investments to expand and improve the railway systems. Whether this expansion will be done by the government or private companies remains to be seen. And it probably won't happen until public demand for passenger rail transportation increases.

Info from Here:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/train5.htm

07-27-2010 at 11:11:05 PM

John,

I think of you as a son, so I want to give you sound advice: Astral Projection—
no oil, no money needed, light-fast, no turbulence, and no repairs.

dahlusional LOL

07-27-2010 at 11:20:52 PM

lol, thanks great, teach us pops, I actually experienced that once, loved it.
If you can use that means of transportation than more power to you.
Most of us can't, we need of other means to pay the bills for our children.

thank you WS

Oh I think if the rail roads were right, and stayed right from the beginning,
maybe we wouldn't be in this mess., j/t, just a thought.

Last edited by WordSlinger 11-22-2010 at 11:36:05 PM

07-28-2010 at 03:38:20 PM

Aria here, your on the spot reporter from the beautiful Florida panhandle of white sand beaches. No oil here, yet. I was appalled at what I thought was the State of Florida's massive effort at keeping the beaches clean, spending tax dollars on what was obviously a clean beach. Imagine my surprise when I actually stopped one of the workers today and asked if they worked for the State or Federal government and she replied, "No, ma'am, we're all BP employees." They are out there daylight to dark watching for any particle of oil and constantly picking up water and sand samples for testing. I thanked her for the work they are doing and left impressed once again that BP has taken this on without asking for government assistance. It's not just for show, their people are here doing what it takes to try and rectify the disaster.

I believe we need to use alternative fuels. If it wasn't for our dependance on oil, BP would not have been in our gulf waters drilling to start with. That said, I will buy gasoline at the BP stations. I would like for them to stay in business, it is in our best interests as tax-payers.

Okay, I'm stepping down from the podium and going back out to enjoy the gorgeous white sand and aquamarine water, I'm on vacation!

10-11-2010 at 12:23:03 AM

OUR Gas Money is for a Poetry Game Show, Maybe/Talvez?

OUR Gas Money is for a Poetry Game Show, Maybe/Talvez?

We need a show for us, right?

They blocked this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR8_Pgts5Wg&feature=related

Last edited by WordSlinger 10-11-2010 at 12:24:39 AM

10-26-2010 at 05:17:32 PM

11-20-2010 at 01:41:21 PM
  • ThoughtCaster
  • ThoughtCaster

The BP oil spill on April 20, 2010 has been compared to Katrina and Chernoble in one disaster. The far reaching effects of this event are unknowable. What is certain is that it is one of the worst disasters of recent history. And, as of this writing, it is ongoing.

Amidst the turmoil that has erupted in all sectors of society in its aftermath, a website was set up to publish poetry written in response to it. poetsforlivingwaters.com/ states as its mission: "The first law of ecology states that everything is connected to everything else. An appreciation of this systemic connectivity suggests a wide range of poetry will offer a meaningful response to the current crisis, including work that harkens back to Hurricane Katrina and the ongoing regional effects."

Many poems and poetry-related events are posted there, including work by Caitlin Plunkett, Frank Sherlock, Michele Battiste, Brooks Haxton, Ron Silliman, Sam Schild, Fady Joudah, and Alicia Ostriker. Poems are catagorised in various ways. Some are featured and there are links to access them alphabetically. Also there are some on the home page- apparently in order of publication.

Submission information is listed as follows: Please submit 1-3 poems, a short bio, and credits for any previously published submissions to: poetsforlivingwaters@yahoo.com.

11-22-2010 at 09:41:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

John,

I think of you as a son, so I want to give you sound advice: Astral Projection—
no oil, no money needed, light-fast, no turbulence, and no repairs.

dahlusional LOL

I myself am holding out for beaming technology.

-Papa Paczki

11-23-2010 at 07:44:50 PM

You're awesome Madelynn. Haha.

11-23-2010 at 11:35:47 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still have this hope that we all will give up our automobiles, television sets,
cell phones, trucks, boats, motorcycles, fast-food restaurants, and any other thing
that needs coal, oil, gasoline, timber, and such -- then we won't have the need for
oil companies to drill for oil in our precious oceans, coal mine companies to destroy
our landscapes with holes, and lumber companies to chop down our treasured
timber lands. Then we won't have to squawk about oil spills and such.
But, alas, I don't think that will happen.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::blank stare

Last edited by gogant 11-23-2010 at 11:37:03 PM

11-24-2010 at 03:15:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I still have this hope that we all will give up our automobiles, television sets,
cell phones, trucks, boats, motorcycles, fast-food restaurants, and any other thing
that needs coal, oil, gasoline, timber, and such -- then we won't have the need for
oil companies to drill for oil in our precious oceans, coal mine companies to destroy
our landscapes with holes, and lumber companies to chop down our treasured
timber lands. Then we won't have to squawk about oil spills and such.
But, alas, I don't think that will happen.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::blank stare

Even though it may be a good concept...and probably would benefit mankind. It's highly unlikely. Rarely will people give up technology. Imagine taking fire away from the cavemen. The best we can do is adapt technology so that it doesn't interfere with the way of the natural world.

I won't even get into my thoughts on imperialism for this is not the place.

Cheers,

Hip

Last edited by Hiporlacking 11-24-2010 at 03:16:08 AM

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.