Original Poetry Forums

New Contest Proposal

02-08-2013 at 11:15:18 AM

New Contest Proposal

I would like a new voting format on this web site. The current voting format seems to have turned into popularity contest. Where you can tell who ranked your poem badly easy enough by seeing your score go down right after they voted. I would like to make my own contest where everyone gets to vote for a winner. You would send me your poem and I will post them on my board signing it anonymous. All poems would be due on a certain date.

I would like all poems to be original (never posted to this or any other site before). This would challenge the poets to come up with something new and not have their work recognized by other users.

No soliciting of votes. You can't message people and ask them to vote for you. You can message people and ask them to vote.

I could make monthly themes and announce the winner each month.

I would like OP to give me a new thread for my contest or do something similar to what I propose.

Winners of each month will compete for poet of the year.

Any takers? thoughts?

I saw this on another website and thought it was a good idea.

02-08-2013 at 08:28:34 PM

RE: New Contest Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPoetryContest

I would like a new voting format on this web site. The current voting format seems to have turned into popularity contest. Where you can tell who ranked your poem badly easy enough by seeing your score go down right after they voted. I would like to make my own contest where everyone gets to vote for a winner. You would send me your poem and I will post them on my board signing it anonymous. All poems would be due on a certain date.

I would like all poems to be original (never posted to this or any other site before). This would challenge the poets to come up with something new and not have their work recognized by other users.

No soliciting of votes. You can't message people and ask them to vote for you. You can message people and ask them to vote.

I could make monthly themes and announce the winner each month.

I would like OP to give me a new thread for my contest or do something similar to what I propose.

Winners of each month will compete for poet of the year.

Any takers? thoughts?

I saw this on another website and thought it was a good idea.

Sounds like a whole new OP is forming before our eyes—Bravo!

02-15-2013 at 06:59:52 PM

Do you think too that I will be better that each poet send only one or a short number of poems, only ? They have to choose their best production instead of sent all their poems from their birth to now...
Except this question, your proposal is very interesting. As dahl said, bravo!grin

02-27-2013 at 08:05:30 AM

It is heart warming to see good poets come back!

02-28-2013 at 10:48:22 AM

This site has a nice format. I didn't get a lot of takers on my contest idea.

Hope everything is going well in your world.grin

03-21-2013 at 09:07:28 AM

I must say that is rather a novel approach on a contest. The last one was ok, yet in the end, poets like myself was discouraged when all agreements were not followed through. The over price of the book and fact of them asking others to do it again without being so much as paid for the first one was one of the worst things That Op has ever done to their poets. It was not the paying that bothered me so it was being bold faced lied too. Then the mess just went out of control when other poets went at each other throats and started to bicker. Again OP did nothing to stop it. Then the You tube videos and then Papa leaving. It was like OP did not care for the community they created. Still as I go to the chat rooms today. I hardly see anyone. No body shares, and challenges each other. Those times seemed to have past. When some few poets tried to restart it or at least hold to some of the fellowship here we were laughed off or insulted, So we left, I am not saying it always has to be like this. there was a time this place held a lot of great poets and friends and I am sad to see them go but in the end. I learned that my work could be good enough to be published here and I was challenged here. I owe that to OP and if they ever wanted to help their community out again and not exploit them then I would be first to extend my hand. Until then I just wait and see.cool hmm

Robert Niswander Aka Plot121

03-21-2013 at 10:41:25 AM

A contest where you need just one bad rating to make your overall rating less than 100% is flawed in my view. If I write something that might be repugnant to some but adored by others I will not get 100%. My way(I am the original poster) would allow some people to not like my poetry and still win the contest.

I am not concerned with financial rewards. If someone makes money on what I write I would like to see a part of it. I mostly just want people to read what I write. Comments good or bad are welcome.

03-21-2013 at 10:52:18 AM

I see your point and it is valid one too. If there was like a voting system in place like a poll system that could be one. Also if the true author of the work was held in secret until the time of the rating system is done I think that would be great too. To get OP to dedicate that much time and effort into something would be hard to do. Their track record as of late has been less then stellar. It's a thought though.

Robert Niswander Aka Plot121...

03-21-2013 at 12:30:42 PM

Of all the poetry sites I have been to, Original Poetry is the best in my opinion.

I don't really see how this site makes money. With their flawed voting system I can see them not wanting to risk their money on publishing poems.

If you have time, please see my latest writes,
Thanks,
Al

03-21-2013 at 06:22:47 PM

They got direct payment for the book they sold with our poems. They make money selling adds to biz that want us to deal with us on services or products they produce or offer. So in a round about way OP gets paid every time they buy those adds. They exploit each of us and does not supply a save and loving enviroment for us to exchange thoughts. That is the biggest reason I don't show me work on this platform. I will read your work but to submit my work here or get into a contest with a site that don't care about the community they have that is just wrong every way I see it. You do as you want but I will never lower myself to write for a site that cares nothing about me or the community they are suppose to help. But that is just me.

Robert Lee Niswander Aka Plot121

04-02-2013 at 10:54:16 AM

RE: RE: New Contest Proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccslim

It is heart warming to see good poets come back!

It's heartwarming to have positive messages like this one. —smiles))
Thank you for being here!

Looking forward,
dah

06-09-2013 at 01:46:48 PM

Well? Is there going to be a challenge? I ain't skeered. In fact I could use a bit of one. Mayhaps the might of the pen is enough to draw more poets in. I truly enjoyed the last one even if I didn't win but then again mayhaps I did. Lol the thought of money to set something free is in this poets mind absurdity. Words of wisdom from me to you. Change a heart to lead or change a heart to lead. Lol you can read same as me but when it's time to write will you stand up or fade from sight. hehehe silly me.

09-13-2013 at 10:57:13 PM

Here's my poem:

You've given me life ever after,
A chance to returns to the days that I yearned for,
That I longed for,
That was chosen just for me,
Days that seemed to become forgetful of memory!

A child I was, laughing in the eyes of blue,
Living, dream, recollecting,
The past that could not be!

Live another day, laugh a little harder,
Smile the pain away,
In years we are definitely older!

Understand, inside, youth is only an option,
But to dance that sweet melodious tune,
Rhythm beating past the ages,
In tune to the step of the lead dancer,
To become asleep, never to wake,
With a smile of peace upon your sweet face!

Dana M. Robinson

09-13-2013 at 10:57:20 PM

Here's my poem:

That I longed for,

Smile the pain away,

Dana M. Robinson

09-13-2013 at 10:57:25 PM

Here's my poem:

That I longed for,

Smile the pain away,

Dana M. Robinson

12-08-2013 at 08:52:17 PM

If no one else will say it I will! Bravo Dana! Nicely written and a worthy read that is if one was to ask me. cheese

11-24-2014 at 10:27:11 PM

Actually this is excellent...When I was writing poetry to be submitted in the past for the High School literary magazine...their was a panel of 5 judges that read each submitted poem, prose or short story where the name of the person was covered. It is a fair method of objectivity which judges on the content of the written source not the person's campaigning or popularity. It brings the writer's style and methodology as the focus. Bravo...a wise idea.

singcanary

Poetry is what is lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.