Original Poetry Forums

how many poems should a poet write?

06-26-2009 at 05:57:12 PM

how many poems should a poet write?

Hi OP webizens,

I was wondering how many poems you guys write? I've don't think I've written even close to 200 in thirty plus years. All but a few poems that I've written are in Emotionography. The most I've written in one year has been about twenty and I've had several years go by without a single poem. How do you guys write? The only two poems I ever sat down and just said "I'm going to write a poem on this theme" and started working on it were "Savanah" and "Black Maple".

I want every poem to have it's own voice and stand alone. I try not to repeat themes but the way I write isn't really condusive to concious effort...so it happens at times. When I start to write I get this like tingling in my chest...then, thoughts and feelings start coming at me...then the words usually start flowing almost on their own. Generally, I brainstorm like that for about ten minutes. I read it and smooth it out in the next ten to twenty minutes. After that, I may work with a phrase or word or so for another ten to thirty minutes. That's it. I come back and change a word occasionally. But the point is, they don't come that often.

I've also noticed if I can't immediately start writing I just lose it. The poem/lyric is gone forever. I've stopped on the side of the freeway to write, got up in the middle of the night many times to write, and even went into the restroom at work to write...and I'm a concientious worker. I try to give "the man" an honest day's work. Nonetheless, I think I've lost about a quarter of the stuff that's come to me.

I want to know your stories. How can some of you write so much? Do you concentrate on style as you write or just let it flow? Do you sit down and say..I want to write a poem right now and do it?

Thanks,
Jerry

Emotionography.net

I know someone is going to reply "about as many poems as woodchuck could chuck"

Last edited by castlemist 06-26-2009 at 06:11:02 PM

06-26-2009 at 07:29:59 PM

Re: how many poems should a poet write?

About as many as a woodchuck coul chuck...Hehe... tongue wink

06-26-2009 at 09:32:47 PM

I write however many come to me... If I do 1 in a month, oh well, same as if I do 10 in a month... it depends on how many come to me. actually "sitting down to write" with a clean sheet of paper [drafts are always on real paper with think ink!] and no ideas prior is a new idea.

In resonse to not repeating themes, that is a noble pursuit. However, A lot of the things that inspire me (people, and feelings twards them, wether returned or not) suround me consatnly, and the same feelings bubble up... I just new ways of leaking them, of letting the pressure off...

So, in short, I have NO control over my poetic machine.

06-26-2009 at 09:39:45 PM

I also lose quite a lot of poems, even though I carry a notebook around in case one comes to me. I just can't always write when I am on the clock or I'm doing the mom thing, however. My job is mundane, so most of my poems come to me there, because it rests my mind and allows me the clarity to write better. The business of my lifestyle is very distracting to me, which is a major obstruction. Often, a poem will come to me, and I'll obsess about it to try and remember it until I can write it down. If I can't, I lose it. If I try to write it after that, it tends to come out disjointed. My recent poems reflect that, as I haven't really been taking advantage of 'down time'.
I don't ever remember just sitting down and writing a theme. It doesn't sound like a bad idea, just I don't tend to write that way.
I suppressed my feelings for so many years, that I think that's why I write more often than what is likely typical (since they have been cooped up for so long and need to be expressed, so they don't come out sideways).

06-26-2009 at 11:06:44 PM

I write when I feel I have a story to tell. Many times I'll write down a line that I think is good and sometimes forget about it. Then, I'll find it at a later date and it clicks. I remember writing A Poem Never Told. It started on my way to work. I jotted down a couple of verses at work, and finished it that night. Some have taken up to a month. ( I have one I've been working on since March. ) I guess what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter how many poems you write. What matters is what you put into it. That's what keeps people reading what you write.
I don't have a lot of poems. I have a lot of "stuff" I wrote many years ago that I could probably make better if I took the time to re-write it. The key word is time. Some of us write when everything else is done. I think I'll go write now. It's the first chance I've had in two weeks. Hope this helps.
bandit1192 cool smile

06-27-2009 at 09:01:13 AM

I believe it depends on the circumstance and your surroundings. I write more when I'm alone, but lately I've been so busy that I haven't stopped. I also see it now as sort of broadcasting, so am I writing something newsworthy, or can others relate with this. You got to be in the right state of mind, whatever it is. We all have our own cup of tea.

Last edited by hippideeth 06-27-2009 at 09:02:28 AM

06-27-2009 at 10:59:34 AM
  • KLF
  • KLF

Most of my poems have been generated from a dream I had in the middle of the night or from words that have come so fast I could hardly write fast enough to keep up. They just come; sometimes when I am going through things and other times I too have had to pull over to capture them before they are lost. Some times, I have to scramble for a piece of paper to write thoughts down and then develop the thought or thoughts into a poem later when I have more time. I always go back and edit for form, structure and flow. There are times I have spent months on a poem before I am finished. Then there have been times I have gone years without writing anything of substance.

I used to participate in the Sun Poet's Society poetry workshop every Thursday where we would have writing exercises and critique each others poetry. We would have to bring something new to every session.

So, it depends on how motivated I am. I can write if I want to and am motivated to do so. I have programmed myself to use words, phrases, things to generate poems for the sake of generating a poem if that is the goal. That comes from the workshops though and from reading and studying different styles.

I don't write to generate a quantity per se. I prefer to write when there is something I want to express in my writing or to capture something as a photographer would only in words. Sometimes, there is only so much you want to share and the rest you keep to yourself.

06-27-2009 at 01:08:13 PM

From my own personal experience with writing poetry or other forms of creative writing,
I try to sit down for about an hour each day to get the creative processes flowing.I merely write whatever comes to mind down on paper and edit wherever is needed afterwards.
Sometimes I already have a theme,poem title or a phrase in my head as I sit down to write a poem.I find that the more often you work on writing a poem even if you don't have any ideas when you start;the easier it is to start the creative process.I also gain ideas for my writing
from reading books or newspaper articles on a variety of subjects;observing interesting people I meet every day;watching movies or listening to music.I also listen to conversations
that people have in restaurants,at the mall or other places in public to hear how they talk,the words they use,any metaphors they use and the thoughts and feelings that they express.I carry a notebook with me to jot down any ideas that I gain from all of these sources.If you would like more ideas send an email to me: countrypoet@originalpoetry.com.Keep on writing
and have fun with it.
T.S.

06-27-2009 at 01:46:13 PM

I used to just write poems to sort out the emotional clutter in my head. As I grew older I found I could pin point on a single idea or even word and fuse the words together. As I grew in years my need for writing had helped me survive alot in my life and it became my window to the world I lived in. All the emotions and the views I had in life or everything for that mattered was flown on to the paper. I have gotten inspiration from anything from a simple list of words, to candle light to just a single word or idea Even a deck of playing cards. Now I know that it's almost so easy to write about things that Its almost like breathing. Although I have lived 38 years in this world I have found I have alot to say to everyone, maybe its due to my extroverted persona or just being me. The only real peace I have found was in my work and my words that I manage to scratch on the screen. I have written for a good long time but even if your a starter or a an old vet know what ever you are let this talent work with you and don't force what you know will come soon. I have written thing in less then 20 minutes and some times I have waited weeks for a poem. Either way it a work in progress let it flow like anything from you. Don't fight it don't resist it don't even force it just let it flow from you for thats when you can see your best work and find the most gratification. cool smirk

Hope this helps Plot121

06-27-2009 at 02:37:11 PM

It is the reponsiblity of the would be poet to write as many poems as is given him or her the creative unction by the resident muse. Anything less is misapropriation of the giftings. Anything more is borders on willful intent to actually function as a poet. The more appearant the effort, the greater the likelyhood of carrying the label POET.
- from the National Constabulary of Persons In Prose tongue laugh

06-27-2009 at 09:03:00 PM

I never realized before that a poet is many things, a musician, a painter, a song write, a writer etc... Poets come in many colors, shapes, and sounds.

I have more respect for poets now that i might be one.

I like writing when im inspired, have been about 4- 5 times only and always seems around love, feelings of love, being loved etc... those are my best types, the rest are just emotion mess and fuss, lol.

To paint a beautiful picture from words is so facinating to me, i keep thinking that this is the best poem so far, then the next ones seems that way, i love it.

However i must say that we all need a creative side to feel alive and writings poems is a great way to go, it brings out the feelings etc...

Thanks all for yr comments here, this group seems like real people with real issues and i like that---rich

06-28-2009 at 12:30:24 AM

I write because I must. Life is made so complicated by people-yet is so simple. A poet can never write too much. If anything, they get stagnant, I suppose for the simple reason, that words fail to be deep enough. blank stare

06-28-2009 at 09:26:26 AM

Just like any one else, it is best to jot down notes and ideas and if the time and situations permit, I suggest that you sit down and write there and then so that the flow of thought will not be cut.

If you have plenty of time, with or without idea, if you focus yourself to write a poem, some how, it will come.

Likewise, quantity depends on your set objectives. BTW, I posted a poem somehow related in this subject with title "Poets are not poets"

Hope you will find time to read it. Tnx.

06-29-2009 at 12:39:16 AM

I believe we should write as many as there are in us. I don't believe we should chase a number, that would affect the quality. I probably have written less than anyone. I don't press myself I just let it come to me. The majority of my poems have come to me at night. A number have escaped me because I couldn't write them down and I couldn't remember the words later on. There are more poems in some than others. We are not equal. The only equality we should seek should be in the quality of our poems.

06-29-2009 at 05:26:38 AM

as many good ones as possible!

06-29-2009 at 08:40:52 AM

I appreciate everyone's input...you processes and thoughts on it are truly interesting.
Jerry

07-02-2009 at 10:29:43 PM

Good question. Well as many poems as you can think of and comfortably have the downtime to write. Not to mention that I have even wrote poem ideas, partial lines, a setting for a poem while working. For instance my "4 Boys" poem was conceived when I monitored students serving detention in a classroom after school. You cannot tell that by the poem. Others which are not all posted here on OP, came about because I remodeled rooms in my house. Some were fantasy characters I made up after having watched a movie or read a book or read classic poetry.
As KLF mentioned I am a member of a poet's society where we critique poems and ask for criticism. That meets once a month so because I know there's a (so-called) deadline I am more apt to write in preparation for the meeting. I too have lost ideas when driving or hiking and had no paper. I have even asked passengers in my car to jot down something if a fleeting thought passes through my head. One thing that excited me today is that I was able to write a preamble to a poem I wrote 1 year ago. Not that I planned to write such a poem. It just seemed the more I wrote the more this poem was related to the other older one. The character 's experiences became what had happened earlier in the older poem. I agree with many of the posts here. Poetry can be illusive . Try to get it penned or typed as soon as you get the words. I often just jot down words I like in a list similar to the way one writes a grocery list. Then later I get ideas from it. Masny strategies can work.
Whatever your way is keep on writing!! wink Ginga

07-02-2009 at 11:34:24 PM

6 cheese

07-03-2009 at 07:55:53 PM

Re: Re: how many poems should a poet write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevillePark

It is the reponsiblity of the would be poet to write as many poems as is given him or her the creative unction by the resident muse. Anything less is misapropriation of the giftings. Anything more is borders on willful intent to actually function as a poet. The more appearant the effort, the greater the likelyhood of carrying the label POET.
- from the National Constabulary of Persons In Prose tongue laugh

This pinpoints and exactly answers the question without designating number or hours (time and quantity is a weak illusion of life anyway).

I am generally driven or inspired either extrinsically or intrinsically. I don't have any particualr style but I do like the rythme of the rhymes and this dominates most of my writing. I usually can put a fairly decent piece together in less than one hour (often times 10-15 minutes). Writing creatively is a great release from professional and technical writing. If you read some of my 'stuff' please comment- you have a brillant mind.

07-03-2009 at 08:04:46 PM

Quote:
I am generally driven or inspired either extrinsically or intrinsically.

What?

As opposed to....?

lol

LOL

01-29-2010 at 12:52:09 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

RE: Re: how many poems should a poet write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenmichael

About as many as a woodchuck coul chuck...Hehe... tongue wink

I was thinking it was more like as many as a groundhog could hog...cheesecheese

01-29-2010 at 02:38:09 PM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: how many poems should a poet write?

Hi Castlemist - great question/topic.

I started writing when I was really young - 7 or 8. I wrote short stories, journal entries and poetry. Then, in my teens, I hardly wrote at all - mostly journalling - until I hit my 40's. Now, during that gap, I had plently of poems and ideas going on, I just didn't write them down. Not sure why.

I started writing again about 2 years ago.

Usually, a phrase will pass through my mind, and then the whole poem while flow from there. Or, I get an overwhelming feeling - the words pour out then, too. Nature and people fascinate me, so much of my ideas/thoughts come from that. Sounds and movement will also trigger a poetic thought. I also like starter ideas - that is, someone suggesting a topic, or starting a thread for me to add on to or continue. That's fun!

I work an easy non-thinking job - alot of my thoughts or phrases come at work. I write them down on scraps of paper - sometimes it's just a word or phrase to help jog my memory when I'm home. I write alone - if I'm interrupted by my kids, I tell them I'm writing and they have to wait (unless they're bleeding!).

I seem to be writing alot lately, but I don't know if I'll keep up the pace or not! Guess we'll see.

kah

01-31-2010 at 01:11:17 AM

It's not about how many any one writes, it's about writing period. As we all can probably agree writing can be a very personal experience, much like getting a tattoo, you can't have just one.

01-31-2010 at 04:05:56 AM

The question is a good one but hard to answer. It's like asking"how much should it rain today?" Of course the only correct answer is "The right amount" which gives you the perfect answer but has not said anything. Poetry, it seems ,to me anyway, depends upon the size of your souls outlet. Some people seem to have a ripped one and stand under a virtual waterfall while others, people like me have to sit patiently by a seeping spring. If I try to dip out of my small pool too quickly the water becomes muddy and I must wait for it to settle and become clear again. I have written many a muddy piece that settles in time as I edit out the twigs and dead leaves. Nonetheless, it is my spring and it is a waste of time for me to covet yours. I will do with it what I can.

01-31-2010 at 02:28:16 PM

A poet should write as many poems as he/she wishes...for that is a poets words and poets are full of words and like to be heard (well, this poet likes to be heard lol). Just as age is just a number in regards to relationships a number is just a number in regards to peoms...and that number dose not matter!!!cool smile

The true philosopher and the true poet are one, and a beauty, which is truth, and a truth, which is beauty, is the aim of both.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Poet (1803-1882)