Original Poetry Forums

NOW FOR THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS

04-09-2010 at 02:40:01 PM

RE: CLAP YOUR HANDS CLEOPATRA by Worslinger

Hi WordSlinger

I have read your Cleopatra Poem and it is a song... how did you do that ??? and so quickly !!!
You are just so gifted... so prolifically rich..

Ok.. your poem does immediately takes me to another place, for where I live, there are neither frogs nor donkeys ... much less the vivid descriptions that you provide as if I were walking through the Bible, even.

... and then all of a sudden, I find myself in your ... it's call a cadence ? and I can hear your rhyming now, and your poem starts to really flow and sound like a song.

And then I find your "political crocodiles" ... too cool, love that one..., as you slip into a more religious looking shoe, of temples and Gods as in plural... the people seemed to No Longer see the Gods as over-seeing their water, sweet air, dear Sun... et al... no.. it is as if their Gods became rich, thick wines and fat-greasy foods that lay thick on their spine, that they did spend an Extra-Ordinary amount of time, playing with their pleasures.

And still, you find a way to sing this as a song...
reminding me just vaguely, the style of the song my father used to sing about a little dutch boy named Johnny b good who fell into the sausage machine... I think I was 19 before I got that song.

04-09-2010 at 02:56:07 PM

RE: The Love of Virgina by Bettysrainbow48

Hi Bettysrainbow48 -

I am smiling that you have joined our class and have posted your poem so quickly. I am not surprised though, because I always feel as if ... when I read your poems, I am sitting down to tea with you, across the table, and you are just talking to me... but it is not as English as is mostly used... but the poetic kind.. and here you have taken your gifts to one of Learning's most difficult classes... where children notoriously snore through boring past...

I LOVE how (you, as) Bettysrainbow48, brought Pocahontas to stage before Reader, as she steps up to the mike... tap tap.. she smiles... looking at each one... as she begins to sing the song of Pocahontas, the Heart... the Love of Virginia, as seen from the side of loving gifts...

I know you have touched the soul of Pocahontas... and from start to finish, you found Pocahontas' full life, her main intent, to join hands... leaving her seed to sing in her stead... What a beautiful thought you give Reader, as we envision your words, "thank you" as you leave our stage and Reader carries home a piece of American history.

Again...Thank you... and I really hope we are afforded More your History poems...

04-10-2010 at 11:17:15 AM

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-03-2010 at 08:16:59 AM

04-11-2010 at 01:49:20 PM

RE: Anthony and Cleopatra - the Historic Poem by cousinsoren

cousinsoren, your gift to research and find is showing... and even the names are beautiful... just to hear, and roll across the silent tone where the mind is a solo here in your tale.

Chicken livers ? really ? and you bring yet another view to the table of Antonius, who so loved his Cleopatra... such interesting names so many have assigned to her.. from historic behavior aptly recorded, to poetic license... "serpent of the Nile", queen of the crocodile... and yet, he loved her ... feverishly into thinking he was following her in his own death.

So sad, she.. .like the Romeo and Juliette, did find Life had betrayed her with separation, and she ran to follow him.

Interesting plug about the astrological star

Thank you for this educational poem...

04-11-2010 at 02:07:05 PM

RE: RE: Anthony and Cleopatra - the Historic Poem by cousinsoren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springsize

cousinsoren, your gift to research and find is showing... and even the names are beautiful... just to hear, and roll across the silent tone where the mind is a solo here in your tale.

Chicken livers ? really ? and you bring yet another view to the table of Antonius, who so loved his Cleopatra... such interesting names so many have assigned to her.. from historic behavior aptly recorded, to poetic license... "serpent of the Nile", queen of the crocodile... and yet, he loved her ... feverishly into thinking he was following her in his own death.

So sad, she.. .like the Romeo and Juliette, did find Life had betrayed her with separation, and she ran to follow him.

Interesting plug about the astrological star

Thank you for this educational poem...

THANK you very much, Springsize, for this your succinct and incisive appreciation of this poem. You have an eye for looking at the essence of things. This is evident in comments you have made elsewhere, on other poems, as well as in your present comment.. .......

04-16-2010 at 02:52:48 AM

RE: RE: RE: NOW FOR THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

Originally Posted by Bettysrainbow48

The Love of VIrginia

There once was an Indian Princess
Her love for VIrginia grew
Her heart filled with love
Like flowers in bloom
A varity in color knew
No difference

Sweet as the honey bees
Her love spread wide
She captured their hearts
Assited colonial settlers
Fed many in stride
Her heart was big concerned for others

It was an English man that captured her heart
Married her they traveled
To both sea and land
Converted her life christian
Prefering to live in England
She took her stand

She cradled her son
FIrst born from John Rolfe
She gave love her all

It was on her way back to Virginia her love
The Indian Princess on the ship grew ill
An unknown disease claimed her life

Said John my darling my wife
You fed the people
You captured their hearts
Became famous my wife
Gave me children gave me life
I'm taking you to land

She said my life will live through my child
My heart will live in yours
I go to a new place
You take care of ours
The sky opened up
Her spirit left ours
Virginia will miss her true love
Pocahontas
smile[/quott

Modern poets who can write in a quasi- prosaic style, as different from writing blank verse are rare. Bettysrainbow possesses that rare skill which she has perfected in her creations. We love your poem, Betty.[/quote] I want to thank those of you personaly who liked my poem.grin

04-26-2010 at 07:33:07 PM

RE: NOW FOR THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS

A very interesting class you have here, sir. I have a variety of history poems, ranging from the bombing of Hiroshima to Jackie Robinson to Treblinka and the Nazi death camps of WW2 (which resides in the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Israel)....but unfortunately none which relate to your subject matter.hmmm

Writing poetry about history IS a magnificent way to both study history and write poetry. Congrats on an excellent class!

04-26-2010 at 11:54:11 PM

I'd like to slip in one history lesson, if I may...

Perhaps his most lasting action was a minor item: saying in his papal letter Vox in Rama of 1232 that cats were an instrument of the devil and a symbol of heresy. This led to a great reduction in the number of cats, which, a hundred years later, contributed to the quick spread of the Black Death plague, which killed 1/3 to 1/2 of the population of Europe. [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_IX]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_IX[/URL]

Eight hundred twenty years ago
A little fact few people know
Caused history to change it's flow.
I swear it's so. I swear it's so.

Pope Gregory to all decreed
That cats were spawned from devil's seed
To kill them was a vital need
And with godspeed..and with godspeed.

Then, all throughout the countryside
A host of countries, far and wide
Conducted feline genocide.
The creatures died. The creatures died.

By thousands they were slaughtered by
Fanatics heeding Papal cry.
Light the bonfires! Watch them die
For God on high. For God on high.

Then came the dreaded plague to fall
On young and old. It killed them all.
The strong, the weak, the big the small,
See how they fall. See how they fall.

For many years, from dawn to dawn
Infected rodents traveled on
With nothing there to stop their spawn
The cats were gone. The cats were gone.

04-28-2010 at 03:13:06 AM

cousinsoren

A PRAYER FOR OUR FRIENDS

O, Omnipotent Architect Of The Universe,
We bring our humble friends to thee;
Be with them on the stormy deep,
Be with them in the silent hour.
By land or sea , awake or asleep,
Be their Helper, Strength and Tower.

Maintain them, O God of Power,
Through their earthly strife;
Each holding forth the Word of Life,
Be their Light to brighten future days,
Let them not falter nor fail,
Through their rocky paths uneven...

Stand up, Brethren- speak with cheerful voice,
We bid you fight for a blessed dawn;
Where be no room for despair.
And all hopes will be leaven;
Go-- win the country of your choice
Of Truth and Liberty and Heaven,

(An adaptation of the origina
l

Last edited by cousinsoren 04-28-2010 at 06:06:45 AM

04-28-2010 at 04:10:54 AM

RE: RE: NOW FOR THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer

A very interesting class you have here, sir. I have a variety of history poems, ranging from the bombing of Hiroshima to Jackie Robinson to Treblinka and the Nazi death camps of WW2 (which resides in the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum in Israel)....but unfortunately none which relate to your subject matter.hmmm

Writing poetry about history IS a magnificent way to both study history and write poetry. Congrats on an excellent class!

No! No! My Friend, There is no stipulation on this thread, as to historical theme or history topic on which you want to write, in poetry.........No prose writing , please. Your contributions to this thread are welcome and are valuable. THANKS.

04-28-2010 at 05:05:49 AM

[quote="Balladeer"]I'd like to slip in one history lesson, if I may...

Perhaps his most lasting action was a minor item: saying in his papal letter Vox in Rama of 1232 that cats were an instrument of the devil and a symbol of heresy. This led to a great reduction in the number of cats, which, a hundred years later, contributed to the quick spread of the Black Death plague, which killed 1/3 to 1/2 of the population of Europe. [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_IX]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Gregory_IX[/URL]

[/quote]

We Thank you, Balladeer, for this bit of European history, told in faultless poetry.I have fond memories of the Black Death which spread throughout Europe between 1348 and 1360. It wiped out some 65$ of the population of Europe. The death-carts rattled through the streets of towns ,ringing bells at might,with the cart men plaintively crying out ,in their native language, "Dead! Bring out your dead!" Strangely,up to age seventeen, I did not know about the Black Death, until my lazy history teacher warned my class, on the very eve of the Jamaica Local Examinations,to go home, and study(by rote) some notes( History Text Books were not available)he gave us that very day, .......LOL. The Black Death did not appear on the History Exam paper. I was not surprised that candidates from neighbouring schools were also warned to study identical notes on the same topic.....We were all disappointed that The Black Death did not appear in the examination ..........LOL. Those were the halcyon days of examinations!

The Black Death seemed to have killed more people than the Inquisition and the more recent Holocaust perpetrated by the Nazi.

We may refresh our memory or learn more about the Black Death, the Inquisition and the Holocaust, by visiting Wikipedia and other websites.

Last edited by cousinsoren 04-28-2010 at 07:18:31 AM

04-28-2010 at 05:45:40 AM

Quote:

[/b]
No! No, Balladeer! There is no stipulation, on this thread, as on what historical theme or history topic you ought to write, as long as you remain in the history poetry category. Np prose, please. Your contributions are welcome and are valuable to all members who may access this thread,
[/b]

Last edited by cousinsoren 04-28-2010 at 05:46:55 AM

04-28-2010 at 06:18:51 AM

RE: RE: RE: NOW FOR THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS

[quote="cousinsoren"][quote="Balladeer"]I'd like to slip in one history lesson, if I may...

[/quote]

We Thank you, Balladeer, for this bit of European history, told in faultless poetry.I have fond memories of the Black Death whicH spread throughout Europe between 1348 and 1360. It wiped out some 65$ of the population of Europe. The death-carts rattled through the streets of towns ,ringing bells at might,with the cart men plaintively crying out ,in their native language, "Dead! Bring out your dead!" Strangely, up to age seventeen, I did not know about the Black Death, until my lazy history teacher warned her class, on the very eve of the Jamaica Local Examinations, to go home, and study(by rote) some notes( History Text Books were not available) she gave us that very day, .......LOL. The Black Death did not appear on the History Exam paper. I was not surprised that candidates from neighbouring schools were also warned to study identical notes on the same topic.....We were all disappointed that The Black Death did not appear in the examination ..........LOL. Those were the days!.
[/quote]

A puzzling irrelevant question.Why did the centipede miss the school bus?

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-26-2010 at 09:22:55 AM

04-28-2010 at 07:41:08 AM

Why did the centipede miss the school bus????

Beats me. Perhaps he took the centipede train instead? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Ll_jfKzyQ

04-30-2010 at 06:47:18 AM

Quote:

Why did the centipede miss the school bus????

Beats me. Perhaps he took the centipede train instead? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8Ll_jfKzyQ

Good guess, but not the answer. However, your Spider Train, accidentally --without a derailment----is a close call for the answer.............lol. I won't volunteer any clues, just yet. Let's get some more guesses. from THE SCHOOL.

I am disappointed that only one person has appointed up to now to sovlve this puxzzle. The answer is simple. He had to put on fifty pairs of shoes.

Here is another> If there are ten flies on my table,and i swat five, how many are left? I give you a clue ............all guesses are wrong, except one.

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-25-2010 at 06:58:26 AM

04-30-2010 at 02:51:33 PM

New Changes

05-02-2010 at 09:40:13 AM

History Poetry Assignments

Poem 1 The Romance of John Smith and Pocahontas
http://www.originalpoetry.com/true-love-knows-no-other

Poem 2 Cleopatra
http://www.originalpoetry.com/clap-your-hands-cleopatra

Please Do Not Quote, thank you WS

05-03-2010 at 03:03:12 AM

RE: RE: The Love of Virgina by Bettysrainbow48

Quote:

Hi Bettysrainbow48 -

I am smiling that you have joined our class and have posted your poem so quickly. I am not surprised though, because I always feel as if ... when I read your poems, I am sitting down to tea with you, across the table, and you are just talking to me... but it is not as English as is mostly used... but the poetic kind.. and here you have taken your gifts to one of Learning's most difficult classes... where children notoriously snore through boring past...

I LOVE how (you, as) Bettysrainbow48, brought Pocahontas to stage before Reader, as she steps up to the mike... tap tap.. she smiles... looking at each one... as she begins to sing the song of Pocahontas, the Heart... the Love of Virginia, as seen from the side of loving gifts...

I know you have touched the soul of Pocahontas... and from start to finish, you found Pocahontas' full life, her main intent, to join hands... leaving her seed to sing in her stead... What a beautiful thought you give Reader, as we envision your words, "thank you" as you leave our stage and Reader carries home a piece of American history.

Again...Thank you... and I really hope we are afforded More your History poems...
Thank you I certainly appreciate your complement. Yes I plan on writing as much as I can. Is it to late to write about Cleopatragrin

05-05-2010 at 06:01:41 AM

RE: RE: RE: The Love of Virgina by Bettysrainbow48

Quote:

Hi Bettysrainbow48 -

Thank you I certainly appreciate your complement. Yes I plan on writing as much as I can. Is it to late to write about Cleopatragrin

##############################################################

Springsize,
Where did you learn to say such nice words as these you are saying to my favourite Mrs Bettyjean Roberts? You are magnificent..........LOL

"Only a magnifcent human can compliment another human magnificently."

05-05-2010 at 09:07:55 PM

RE: RE: RE: The Love of Virgina by Bettysrainbow48

Quote:

Is it to late to write about Cleopatragrin

Hi Bettysrainbow48 ~

I don't think it's too late to post any of the Assignment poems here...

I hope you will decide to post a Cleopatra poem... or one of the two new subjects cousinsoren has posted for History Poems.

The Boston Tea Party

The Black Death

05-05-2010 at 09:14:23 PM

THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS - The Boston Tea Party

This rendition of the infamous Rebellion of the Early Settlers of America was written in slight of whimsy care... I apologize for any seriousness laid aside as unimportant. I think the entire experience was a Stark and Memorable Picture of the Spirit of America, including today, even more so, as we are now the Melting Pot of the Planet Earth inhabitants and we are Still Carrying A Strong Spirit, wanting to scream... Take Your Oil... just don't dump it in the sea.

the Great American Boston Tea Party

The time was seventeen and seven three
they came to end the British tyranny

just like their year, they chose the count thirteen
a message hidden deep beneath the seams

we will not take your sovereign slavery
that come as merchant sailors, hungrily

oh greedy England, with your white-gloved hands
we left your world, for places where we can

build dreams and homes, and plant our foods to live
not line your pockets, forced to give and give

the call to arms, we men who rise from fields
the sacrifice of tea shall be our shield

the women folk will surely have our hide
no gossiping, the morrow wears our pride

and see us now oh friends of yester-yore
we mighty share, and with the whole world, more.

05-06-2010 at 10:36:29 PM

THE HISTORY POETRY CLASS - The Black Death Lived

The Black Death Lived

The birth of black death, lived in decadence
it was a time of moron innocence
the era, thirteen hundred forty four
when rampant, death was leaking past the door

society or poverty, they lived
it was a time of mourning, none could give
a reason they could see, and where was faith?
frustration turned to anger and to hate

I do not know how even one survived
they ate of dead foods, breeding grounds, alive
and ripe with germs that made their insides cry
they washed in rivers meant for drinking, sigh

they drank fermented berries, thick with time
compassion ran, not rampant but as crime
no morals ruling choices, dipped in whine
and where was clean, no-where that you could find

and germs did form from dark polluted blood
no longer swift, was feeding brain with mud

and thoughts became deranged like body smells
as germs built cities deep within the wells
inside the fatty tissues, they did dwell
volcanic lesions dressed in body hell

and as the tides of filth did ebb their flow
the town-folk wakened, slow, like winters go

they cleaned the streets, and washed their hands and feet
they burned their trash and buried in a heap
they started eating plants with animals
the evolution slowed the funerals
and soon, the ladies wrote of marigold.
the Nineteen Hundreds list the last plague told.

05-25-2010 at 06:08:44 AM

05-26-2010 at 08:52:38 AM

05-26-2010 at 09:34:54 AM

THIS MONTH'S MOOTS:

Two subjects:

The American War Of Independence

The Spanish Armada

History Poetry is non-competitive, There is no stipulation as to poetic style, You may enter your subscriptions into the OP,. Weekly Contests, Let's strut our stuff!

Last edited by cousinsoren 05-26-2010 at 09:39:15 AM

The true philosopher and the true poet are one, and a beauty, which is truth, and a truth, which is beauty, is the aim of both.

Ralph Waldo Emerson, American Poet (1803-1882)