02-03-2011 at 02:12:23 PM

THE PENDING DEATH OF ORIGINAL POETRY

New posting on my page now.

if you care to object to these truths, please do,
with intelligence and respect.

smile

02-07-2011 at 10:14:50 AM

RE: THE PENDING DEATH OF ORIGINAL POETRY

I have been a member almost from the very begining of this site, I have seen it weather many a problem, always to survive, the poets here are the best in the world, with a few exceptions, We are here for one purpose, We love to write, we love to share and we love the comments that tell us we are doing a great job/or not, with help only a message away, we can all improve and learn, I count myself fortunate to have such great friends on here . such as dah, jaded, tender, maddie, Word,etc.....For those who left, you will be missed, Some may comeback we hope, For all you that are new welcome, please stay, this is a dispute that should never have had happen, and will not involve you, only the innocent have been hurt, the needs of the many out weigh the stupidity of the few ,or the ONE. that being said, please play nice!!!, As a young man I met a elderly man and his wife, they talked about the old country they came from, they told me of their childhood, and one of their teachers who left a great impression on them. he taught them Math, History and phys. Ed. this teacher abhored War , He respected life, and it saddened him what was happening in his world., this was a man of honor, who would not falsely accuse anyone or blaspheme anyone, Yet because he was a very intelligent man, with a great mind, He had no choice but to help in matters he had no control over, the elderly couple knew this man to be forthright, they showed me pictures of them when they were young adults standing next to their teacher ROMMEL some times History repeats itself/ some times its maligned, So as my last thought here, If you are going to be Great, Be Great, Don't hide behind Greatness and pretend !!!!! PHOENIX

02-07-2011 at 08:52:56 PM

Complication comes to mind.
I realise very accurately that
it is too easy to erase
change
manipulate
or alter any attempt
to communicate.
Then why try?
(The Muse is
very demanding!)tongue wink

02-07-2011 at 08:54:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

New posting on my page now.

if you care to object to these truths, please do,
with intelligence and respect.

smile
In other words, you cannot dare do anything but agree completely with David A (Dah) Helmer. If you dare question Der Fuhrer, then he will do to you what he did to me; he will PMS and then accuse you of being overly disrespectful and aggressive; and will delete the evidence! So please keep a copy of whatever you send to Der Fuhrer. lest he do what he does best; LIE!!! This is because he lacks the intellectual wherewithal to be able to disagree calmly and to amicably resolve disputes, because he is big, overgrown baby who has evidently not had sufficient man training. all I did was to disagree, and there is absolutely NO EVIDENCE that I was disrespectful or contemptuous. A word to Der Fuhrer; IF YOU INSIST ON TALKING OUT OF YOUR BUTT, THEN PLEASE BE SURE TO WIPE YOUR MOUTH, SINCE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T DISTINGUISH BETWEEN THE TWO MAIN BODILY ORIFICES. One is for expression and the other is for secretion; obviously you are using both of them interchangeably!) And tell your "partner in slime" Suzanna Smith to be prepared to prove her contentions-for I would NEVER even think of contacting anyone's mother-this would have to be considered as a crime-so where is the evidence? So good luck with all of your lying, backstabbing, pseudo-poet "friends" like Aria, Bullslinger. Tammy Jo, (it pains me greatly to incude Oren in this mix, because he is the only real poet in that group), Elayne, and of course, your "main squeeze", pap Pussy, who is the REAL REASON for the collapse of OP. I am content with the friends that I have, and I know that with us, IT IS ONLY ABOUT THE POETRY, and that they're not going to make a federal case out of not getting the kind of critique that they didn't expect. Writing is definitely a question of character, which is why I COULD NEVER CONSIDER A LIAR LIKE YOU AS A REAL POET, NO MATTER HOW WONDERFUL YOUR METAPHORS ARE, you piece of garbage!

02-07-2011 at 10:45:55 PM

Quote:
Poetry War
I will not spar
with words
or cut the edge
of your meaning
with my criticisms.
My voice rejoices
in your intent.
mla
Quote:

02-09-2011 at 11:33:21 AM

For what it's worth...

All,

I have been silently watching as the citizens of this site tear each other apart. My first inclination was to compose...but why? For what purpose?

When I was a girl my mother would tell me to ignore bullies and, deprived of the fight, they'd dry up and blow away. As I grew older I knew that sometimes one must stand firm and fight back. In this case, though, I think mom was right. Our antagonist thrives on the negative attention and anguish he causes. He is a bitter fire yet we continue to feed him rather than letting him die out and grow cold as he should. And hasn't he been the antagonist for quite some time and under many different names? Yet still we nourish him. Why do we do that, I wonder.

When I first came to this site I found it refreshing. Back then honest critiques were possible; growth was possible. In time, though, a veil of propriety enshrouded this site. Critiques were sometimes abused and caused hard feelings and eventually were met with scorn. It seemed that if we couldn't say something nice, we shouldn't say anything at all while the absence of comment sentenced the poet to obscurity. Commenting became something akin to returned favors...you do me a solid, I do you a solid...a mutual admiration society mired in political correctness rather than being a tool to help one another mature and grow in our craft. Members, it seemed, began to collect friends based more on their hunger for numbers than their respect for the other members' work. In my opinion (for what it's worth) that led to what has been seen as the weekly popularity contest. Winning had absolutely nothing to do with the work and seemed to have more to do with who was owed the most solids on any given week. Given the number of new pieces, I doubt any of us would have the time to read through all the weekly entries and vote honestly. Popularity, I think, became a management tool for lack of a better one. So it goes. And it cannot be overstated that gaining popularity on this (or any) site requires a commitment of time that not all of us are prepared to make. If that has caused some to rise to...what was it...royalty? So be it. This is just a computer site. It doesn't change my reality at all. Presumably, these classes I've read about are a way to solve the issue...I assume honest critiques are allowed therein. I wouldn't know. No offense, but if I were going to take a poetry class, it wouldn't be here.

I have never been much for commenting. That being said, it should follow that if I did comment on something I sincerely liked it...again, for what it's worth. So I must assume, then, that the one piece of mine that ever won was also sincerely liked because nobody owes me anything. That piece, however, was not the best piece I've written. It wasn't even the best piece I've posted here. It wasn't even in the top ten. It was schmaltz...sentimental clap-trap and it embarrassed me beyond telling that of all I've posted here, that was the one that might be published. Apparently I needn't have worried. But I think that if only the best poetry had been chosen for an anthology, perhaps then the anthology would have been more true to it's mission. Books of good poetry still sell; nobody buys mediocre poetry except the mediocre poets. All things being equal, did we really need the contests at all? I know I didn't. I know my caliber as a poet and it is not determined here.

I have become acquainted with a number of poets on this site...some of whom are uniquely gifted; others, not so much but poets still, members of this elite group by their love of writing and their willingness to do so. Some are quite prolific. I am not. As my own harshest critic more verse falls to the floor than lands on the page. For a while, though, I challenged myself to write one thing for this site per week and because of it, I have enough to publish should I be so inclined. I shall miss the challenge and yes, the few comments I'd receive. I believe in their sincerity because they were unsolicited and that makes them priceless and worth keeping.

What I wanted to say, though, was how sad it is to think that this fly in the ointment could bring it all down. Oh, I understand OP had some internal and pressing problems. This is more a complication; a virus that has infected an already weakened body. But know this: good poets, mediocre poets...those who write for others, those who write for themselves; at least we write. We have the courage to commit our work to the site, to post it and let it do whatever it will do. How ironic, I think, that we've allowed ourselves to fall victim to one who does not have that type of courage; one who habitually did not post except occasionally to shock, outrage or hurt. I think he's a coward and a bully and while I know he will rant and rage and throw barbed tantrums...perhaps even at me...I shall not think of him again. He will not get his energy from me. I do not care enough about him to waste another thought. I suggest you do the same.

I think I'll be leaving OP now. I've copied my work off the site and I will be deleting it soon and closing my account. It's just time. Everything that lives dies. It is the natural and proper order of things. Perhaps we'll meet again in some future incarnation of Original Poetry. Until that time, I wish you enough.

Peace and blessings,
J. Lorian

02-09-2011 at 01:45:50 PM

this fool, J Lorian, to your wisdom bows.
lorenzo

02-10-2011 at 06:02:51 AM

RE: RE: THE PENDING DEATH OF ORIGINAL POETRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix9

I have been a member almost from the very begining of this site, I have seen it weather many a problem, always to survive, the poets here are the best in the world, with a few exceptions, We are here for one purpose, We love to write, we love to share and we love the comments that tell us we are doing a great job/or not, with help only a message away, we can all improve and learn, I count myself fortunate to have such great friends on here . such as dah, jaded, tender, maddie, Word,etc.....For those who left, you will be missed, Some may comeback we hope, For all you that are new welcome, please stay, this is a dispute that should never have had happen, and will not involve you, only the innocent have been hurt, the needs of the many out weigh the stupidity of the few ,or the ONE. that being said, please play nice!!!, As a young man I met a elderly man and his wife, they talked about the old country they came from, they told me of their childhood, and one of their teachers who left a great impression on them. he taught them Math, History and phys. Ed. this teacher abhored War , He respected life, and it saddened him what was happening in his world., this was a man of honor, who would not falsely accuse anyone or blaspheme anyone, Yet because he was a very intelligent man, with a great mind, He had no choice but to help in matters he had no control over, the elderly couple knew this man to be forthright, they showed me pictures of them when they were young adults standing next to their teacher ROMMEL some times History repeats itself/ some times its maligned, So as my last thought here, If you are going to be Great, Be Great, Don't hide behind Greatness and pretend !!!!! PHOENIX

********************************************************************************************************

Yeah, ROMMEL. From angel of Knowledge to angel of Darkness. It is easier to to fall, than to rise is the experience of poor us mortals. But we ought to resist falling., even by sacrifice of life.

02-10-2011 at 06:02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix9

********************************************************************************************************

Yeah, ROMMEL. From angel of Knowledge to angel of Darkness. It is easier to to fall, than to rise is the experience of poor us mortals. But we ought to resist falling., even by sacrifice of life.

02-12-2011 at 08:22:45 AM

I love you like salt. Margaret Attwood

02-12-2011 at 08:24:14 AM

RE: For what it's worth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLorian

All,

I have been silently watching as the citizens of this site tear each other apart. My first inclination was to compose...but why? For what purpose?

When I was a girl my mother would tell me to ignore bullies and, deprived of the fight, they'd dry up and blow away. As I grew older I knew that sometimes one must stand firm and fight back. In this case, though, I think mom was right. Our antagonist thrives on the negative attention and anguish he causes. He is a bitter fire yet we continue to feed him rather than letting him die out and grow cold as he should. And hasn't he been the antagonist for quite some time and under many different names? Yet still we nourish him. Why do we do that, I wonder.

When I first came to this site I found it refreshing. Back then honest critiques were possible; growth was possible. In time, though, a veil of propriety enshrouded this site. Critiques were sometimes abused and caused hard feelings and eventually were met with scorn. It seemed that if we couldn't say something nice, we shouldn't say anything at all while the absence of comment sentenced the poet to obscurity. Commenting became something akin to returned favors...you do me a solid, I do you a solid...a mutual admiration society mired in political correctness rather than being a tool to help one another mature and grow in our craft. Members, it seemed, began to collect friends based more on their hunger for numbers than their respect for the other members' work. In my opinion (for what it's worth) that led to what has been seen as the weekly popularity contest. Winning had absolutely nothing to do with the work and seemed to have more to do with who was owed the most solids on any given week. Given the number of new pieces, I doubt any of us would have the time to read through all the weekly entries and vote honestly. Popularity, I think, became a management tool for lack of a better one. So it goes. And it cannot be overstated that gaining popularity on this (or any) site requires a commitment of time that not all of us are prepared to make. If that has caused some to rise to...what was it...royalty? So be it. This is just a computer site. It doesn't change my reality at all. Presumably, these classes I've read about are a way to solve the issue...I assume honest critiques are allowed therein. I wouldn't know. No offense, but if I were going to take a poetry class, it wouldn't be here.

I have never been much for commenting. That being said, it should follow that if I did comment on something I sincerely liked it...again, for what it's worth. So I must assume, then, that the one piece of mine that ever won was also sincerely liked because nobody owes me anything. That piece, however, was not the best piece I've written. It wasn't even the best piece I've posted here. It wasn't even in the top ten. It was schmaltz...sentimental clap-trap and it embarrassed me beyond telling that of all I've posted here, that was the one that might be published. Apparently I needn't have worried. But I think that if only the best poetry had been chosen for an anthology, perhaps then the anthology would have been more true to it's mission. Books of good poetry still sell; nobody buys mediocre poetry except the mediocre poets. All things being equal, did we really need the contests at all? I know I didn't. I know my caliber as a poet and it is not determined here.

I have become acquainted with a number of poets on this site...some of whom are uniquely gifted; others, not so much but poets still, members of this elite group by their love of writing and their willingness to do so. Some are quite prolific. I am not. As my own harshest critic more verse falls to the floor than lands on the page. For a while, though, I challenged myself to write one thing for this site per week and because of it, I have enough to publish should I be so inclined. I shall miss the challenge and yes, the few comments I'd receive. I believe in their sincerity because they were unsolicited and that makes them priceless and worth keeping.

What I wanted to say, though, was how sad it is to think that this fly in the ointment could bring it all down. Oh, I understand OP had some internal and pressing problems. This is more a complication; a virus that has infected an already weakened body. But know this: good poets, mediocre poets...those who write for others, those who write for themselves; at least we write. We have the courage to commit our work to the site, to post it and let it do whatever it will do. How ironic, I think, that we've allowed ourselves to fall victim to one who does not have that type of courage; one who habitually did not post except occasionally to shock, outrage or hurt. I think he's a coward and a bully and while I know he will rant and rage and throw barbed tantrums...perhaps even at me...I shall not think of him again. He will not get his energy from me. I do not care enough about him to waste another thought. I suggest you do the same.

I think I'll be leaving OP now. I've copied my work off the site and I will be deleting it soon and closing my account. It's just time. Everything that lives dies. It is the natural and proper order of things. Perhaps we'll meet again in some future incarnation of Original Poetry. Until that time, I wish you enough.

Peace and blessings,
J. Lorian

snake

02-13-2011 at 06:26:46 AM

Quote:

All,

Peace and blessings,
J. Lorian

Sad that you will leave, but I loved the wisdom of your write. All so true and on the mark. Take care J.

02-13-2011 at 10:51:18 PM

Original
one word for guided.
Poetry
a song of the heart.
My attempt may be demeaning
and sordid
but at least I realise
that I am a woman
not a man.
gulp

02-18-2011 at 11:59:02 PM

Quote:

All,

Peace and blessings,
J. Lorian

word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-22-2013 at 09:40:19 PM

Pending doom
on coming storm
the warnings we now read
but who shall stand and take command
who will take the lead

who shall lead the lost to freedom
who will shield and defend
who will stay behind to fight off the evil fiend

and who will stand and pledge allegiance to this company
who by so many's tears and blood paid to make it free
and who would dare accuse them now to be of corrupt intent
when all the good that they do, they so boldly represent

and every soul who's words are stated upon these quaking walls
shall stand in testament even if they fall
for even if we stumble even if we fall down
we can still raise again and lift the stones from off the ground

but they who point the finger should instead go on their way
and let the rest to peace be left and to this pending doom say nay.

10-25-2013 at 05:18:12 PM

where's the dot ?

are the laws for poets too few ?
should there be 4 thousand and 2 ?

some can't even stay within the lines
they drive their words all over their rhymes

boldly honking loud complaints
look, look see my no restraints

10-27-2013 at 12:22:10 AM

I've been on this site since 2007 and never once won a poem of the week nor could I get the chat room to work, none the less I continue to write, I continue to post; because this is my way of venting over my broken Heart, my PTSD and in general being alone. I hope this site doesnt go away because its the only place of its kind. Hopefully one day the powers that be will make me a winner and if not maybe ya'll can give me some pointers.
-Thelastcowboy

04-28-2014 at 04:55:51 AM

Hehehe ain't dead yet!
Goes ta show ya
Poetry will outlive the poet
Proved itself many times
And one thing that holds true
Is the one who'll fade, will be you
Oh go ahead, and say it ain't true
I saw beggers beg for dimes
I saw real Poets give their time
And now I'm left wondering
Which one them was you?
Hehehe ain't dead yet

11-24-2014 at 11:10:00 PM

Well said Phoenix...and for that, I just may return.
I left due to standards falling with people not voting for talent but popularity and campaigning for their votes. Poetry's main purpose was starting to be lost and fading. This is a great teaching and mentoring site when used properly. Talented people ARE here.There will always be a few who try to disrupt things, but overall there was or is great promise for this site. I do like the idea of submitting poetry, proses or short stories with the author's name covered. A panel of 3,4 or 5 judges objectively voting on the content, creativity and its structure so the results are just and proper for poetry challenges. Chat rooms became social hour on other dating topics other then the analysis of writing. Singcanary

01-22-2015 at 01:30:00 PM

Phoenix9, you speak truth! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I came to Original Poetry to do just as you said, read poetry, but more importantly, grow as a writer by considering all perspectives of the comments left. To be a writer, you have a different, beautiful kind of mind that should never be closed off to the thoughts of others. Again, thank you for shining light on this subject.

01-22-2015 at 01:31:17 PM

Phoenix9, you speak truth! Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I came to Original Poetry to do just as you said, read poetry, but more importantly, grow as a writer by considering all perspectives of the comments left. To be a writer, you have a different, beautiful kind of mind that should never be closed off to the thoughts of others. Again, thank you for shining light on this subject.

02-26-2015 at 03:19:18 PM

main problem is that the site does not work.

nobody has been able to read my work for over a year. just goes to a white page. i have asked the admins about it several times and had no responce.

how can a site not die if it doesnt work?

02-07-2016 at 04:59:33 AM

I posted my poems in the blog
A poet told it is a foolish attempt
As, into your blog, none will jog
Only forum posting would tempt

In Twitter, this month, 1,33,000 views
What a great joy, that could produce
I was highly satisfied by that news
Or else, writing is of truly no use

I today came with greatest hope
With a trust the site would be there
Her presence gave me great scope
And I felt the Lord is always fair

May Original Poetry ever stay
To give us all a chance to write
Let us keep it in a sacred way
As she gives to us all real delight.

mvvenkataraman

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA