Original Poetry Forums

New Posting (Weather Report)

03-16-2010 at 10:11:52 PM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: suggested reading

Thanks for the reading list - I'll be checking them out!
kah

03-18-2010 at 06:38:29 PM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: Something You DO Or Something You ARE? A Poet

I'm so glad you opened up this discussion, WS.

I am a poet. It is who I am and what I am. I also serve lunch to high school students Monday through Friday...but a Lunch Lady is not who I am, it is merely something I do.

I cannot refrain from writing. I have to do it, like breathing. I started to write poems (and short stoies, journalling) as a child, without any education or knowledge of poetry as a craft. I simply had to put the words on paper. That has not changed. I had never read any poet other than Poe (for school) before coming on this site. Thank you, WS, for getting me to Emily Dickenson!

I also agree with WS in that, as a poet, I believe I see things intensely, I feel very deeply, and I experience the world on multiple levels.

I don't know much about the stuctural forms of poems, or metric feet (although I'm learning a bit) or even correct forms of writing. I just write. If I wrote poems that nobody liked, I'd stop posting them - but I'd keep writing.

I love the subtlies of our language; the sounds of certain words;, the interplay between sound and breath when we speak...It's all so cool to me!

I am a poet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

I just wanted to add this, and not disrupt to much of class, but I feel it needs to be talked about, and since I love Poets and Poetry, I wanted to add this...

Maybe some would define "poet" as a profession, a job that you do, in the same way you might call yourself an Aircraft Engineer, a Landscape Gardener or Roofer.

But I believe being a poet is more than that.

It's a way of seeing, hearing, feeling, and experiencing the world and translating that in a way that communicates to others the emotion and humanity behind the superficial, the purely physical and matter-of-fact.

I also think being a poet is really a part of one's nature. I think a poet sees and feels things perhaps a bit deeper than others, and he/she wants to get those strong feelings into words and down on paper. I think they're both good and bad feelings.

I think "word play" is an integral part of being a poet. You have to truly love playing with words and discovering new ones. A poet loves the sound of a beautiful sentence.

Poetry can be as deep and as affecting as any art, and a few words in a certain combination can bring a whole world of emotion, hopes and memories. I think this works on two levels, the actual sound of word combinations, and the images and feelings they evoke.

What are thoughts on being a poet? What does it mean to you? Simply a day job or something that's a core part of your identity?

Kabbal, are you a Snowflake, or are we Snow?
Get your butt over there, and roll, lol, ty WS
http://community.history.com/topic/363
smilesmilesmilewink

03-19-2010 at 09:43:29 AM

RE: New Posting (Weather Report)

Hello, we are the Poets of Blood, donating Poetic Verse, with interactive poems/Collaborations. We thought to as well come to school, so please give us a read, we want to make a history, thank you, The Poets of Blood

03-20-2010 at 07:23:29 AM
  • kah
  • kah

RE: Poetry

Kabbalistic,
This grateful student is reading all your posts.

If I have questions, should I PM you, or put them up here?

Student kah
smile

03-20-2010 at 04:43:47 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Teacher,

I have read your Poetry 4 lesson. After providing an example of imagery, you asked a few questions.

What do I derive from this one stanza:
Well, the announcer is well dressed - therefor he cares about his appearance. He is not a slob, he strikes me as man of refined tastes. Also, he's a bit of a snob/judgemental; I get this impression from the last line in the stanza.

I picture him wearing a dark well cut suit, clean, buffed nails, slicked back hair. His demeanor is haughty.

One thing throws off that impression for me. The line "Apparently combed with buttered toast" That immediately made me think his suit had crumbs on it, and/or his hair was a greasy mess!

Is that a common expression that I have not heard?

Many thanks for the insight on imagery. I am enjoying the lectures, and will be reading your other lessons tonight!

Kah
ohh

Last edited by kah 03-20-2010 at 05:00:28 PM

03-20-2010 at 09:24:19 PM

gulp

03-20-2010 at 10:43:09 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Teacher,

Thank you for explaining!

Happy pupil,
kah
smile

03-22-2010 at 05:31:49 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Teacher,
I believe I understand the word/concept of synecdoche, I have below a stanza from a poem I wrote called Forgive Me. I believe I used synecdoche -

"Forgive me if I choose
To educate my self with seeds.
Their lessons never fail;
Never become obsolete."

In referring to seeds, I am speaking of nature's cycle (seed, birth, maturity death), not simply the seeds. There is a certain hope that readers will draw the same idea the writer is trying to express.

Have I got it?
Thanks
Kah

cheese

03-29-2010 at 07:24:56 AM

RE: RE: RE: New Posting (Weather Report)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

Gee, thanks WS - gotta find my brain AGAIN - you blew it away!! LOL - you do have a way with language and imagery! Nice -

I am here for class, because I want to`````become a better poet, so I need to stop writing poems like this, I am wide awake, thank you much.......

PSALMS IN CALM PALMS

King David was like a white raven
For a while I’ve been a logophile
A lexicologist if you wish
Words are like venom or an antidote,
I’ am like their vendor, it’s a facto’
I sling words for the masses
Shaking all of our poetic asses
Creating product out of environments
I’ m one little word slinging giant
with a calm palm winging my aplomb

I express myself well
I do like to time travel
I have hands of the air
I ‘am slightly out of the ordinar’
Interesting, as you can tell
You can find out more about me
on how my hands are held
Feeling the energies living inside of me
The emotional, mental, and physical
My senses for being successful

All points of view, and oppositions made
I have a complex splitting heart line
Crosses, breaks, islands, and braids
I imagine, and make them happen
I have a writers fork, of course, wink
I ‘am a poet, that’s what it indicates
I have a clear and well marked head line
I’m always put to the test,
I stay the same all of the traveling time
No indications of an unutilized brain
Me yes, I have lots and lots of interests
I have a enthusiastic life line
Vital, energizing, and surely passionate
I do not have a destiny line
Not at this day and time
Maybe because I don’t make bets
This is where I veer
Positively I turn here in the yet

Intuition, a constant profession
Ever since now and then,
I learn many, many lessons
With a built in light, and a magnifying glass
I use my psychometric intuitive flash
A time will come, a small period of a break
Until then, my poetic family chain remains
I sail on relationship, I represent a major trip
Intuition enlarged, my telepathy charged
I shall last with many tasks
I know your question before you ask
Tomorrow brings a noticeable gap
But I’ am like a flint
I have an Apollo finger
I’m John E. WordSlinger
With a little squint
You can see my calm palm in print

(c) John E WordSlinger
LOL

[b]IS THERE ANYONE ON OP WHO DOES NOT LOVE THIS "i, ME" BIOGRAPHICAL POEM. WNAT A RESONATING VOICE! I LOVE THE "LOFTINESS" AND ALMOST "ARROGANT IMAGERY" OF IT, LOFTY DICTION, MASTERLY COMPOSED. [/b]

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 11:18:38 AM

03-29-2010 at 07:30:06 AM

RE: For My Brother and Sister Poets-Top Priority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbalistic

I hate to sound like an obnoxious propogandist for the "teabaggers",zipperbut the best poetry "master class" that the ambitious poet could take, is to READ THE GREAT WORDSMITHS OF YORE! I don't care if they are Elizabethan, modern, English, American-hybrid, ""beat" poets-it does not matter; the best thing that the aspiring poet could do would be to READ, READ, READ!!! Poetry is a CRAFT (not merely "self expression") best learned through ABSORPTION.

www.poemhunter.com/ebooks

I subscribe to rhis thought 100%

03-29-2010 at 07:38:35 AM

RE: On Poetry 14

Quote:

What we’re examining here is the proposition that symbolic language can be used to convey sense, experience and emotion with far more effectiveness than by just coming out and saying it. We can thus define symbol to mean more than what is represented by its mere literal meaning. NOW is when confusion reigns as symbol, metaphor and image seem to blend into each other as interchangeable parts of a rather nebulous whole. Let’s see if we can tell these rascals apart, shall we?

1. Generally speaking, image represents EXACTLY what it states.
2. Metaphor represents something OTHER than what it states.
3. Symbol represents whatever it states, but also BEYOND whatever it states.[/i]

Are you now thoroughly confused? Are you about ready to climb underneath the bed to recite the Greek Alphabet? Uh oh, time for examples! From Reflections On An Aria:

The Nazi as vaginal walrus dick
dons a skirt saluting tampon thus
taking charge in illusory authority
for Tasty Spot Whore yanking chords
of chemical dependence always
wanting more of what is not their own…

Everything is pretty much here. Can you tell which is which? I’m not going to help you, because my brain gets a charlie horse if I try too hard to analyze my own stuff! Suffice it to say, that the symbol is the richest but at the same time, the most complicated of all of the components within the poetic idiom. The poet can employ the symbol to the degree of being specific and precise in its application; but more often than not, the symbol takes on a very general connotation so as to evoke many different possible meanings and interpretations-much like a prism dispensing many different colors and shades of light. Of course, we must advise caution in the interpretation of the symbol, taking heed not to see “dragons and windmills” where none exist. In any case, what we’re looking at here is writing on a level so as to engage the imagination. So, you “write what you feel”? So you tell me how you feel in your poem. Why should I care what you feel? LOL We all “feel”; so why should your feelings take precedence over my feelings? So, don’t just tell me how you feel, but SHOW ME how you feel, and SHOW ME why I should care! Can you not use your imagination? Can you not use techniques and devices to powerfully deliver your message? What is your message, or are you one of those “I write for myself” poets? If you write for yourself, do you do so to the exclusion of the reader? Are you going to try to tell me whatever it is I should feel and think as a reader or will you SHOW ME why you are worth reading by making a symbiotic connection to the reader through your skillful appropriation of the poetic idiom? Do you see the difference? On our next posting, we will examine the efficacy of poetic expression through the “back door”, by showing what it is NOT. We will also look at the premise of the “freedom to express ourselves any way we want to (sic)”. We’re going to put that to the test, OK? I leave you with these pearls of wisdom from those two great notable poet/philosophers, Keith Hernandez and Walt “Clyde” Frazier:
“Emmit, your grey facial hair, has put you in a rocking chair! Your beard is weird! Your ‘stouche is trash! He moves, he grooves-backfield in motion!”

winkwinkwinkwinkwinkLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLshockshockshockshockshock

YOU AGGRESSIVELY AND ENTERTAININGLY SAY SOME GOOD STUFF HERE, KABBALISTICK. BUT THOSE WHO READ YOU OUGHT NOT TO MISS THE TRUTH AND GUIDANCE IN WHAT YOU PROPOUND.

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 07:40:46 AM

03-29-2010 at 07:50:16 AM

RE: On Poetry 15

Quote:

I’m sure that most of us have heard (or have heard of) politicians making misstatements and gaffes, with the likes of the two Bushes, Dan Quayle, and also from my generation, Spiro Agnew. As shocking and ridiculous it is at first, it is understandable due to the lack of checks and balances between the adle brain and the mouth, so it is very easy to conceive of utterances symptomatic of diarrhea of the mouth. This misadventure should not befall the writer, especially the online poet, for the simple reason that it is more difficult to transfer thoughts from the brain to the “SUBMIT” or “RETURN” button than it is for the brain directly to the mouth. It is a much more involved process involving checks and balances, so one would think that there would be content of higher quality. Uh oh, it’s example time, and this time it is not one of mine. This excerpt is an example of the misuse of language and the unfortunate abuse of the illusive “freedom to express ourselves any way we want to” (sic) I must warn you that this is not pretty.

I ask
as I pick apart the welfare mother
in line at the grocery store 23 going on 30
for sure shes (sic) a whore
she has 5 kids of different races
I see only their dirty faces
and nothing else
(sic)

It has been quite a while since I have come across such gratuitous, inflammatory and biased hyperbole, rife with baseless presumption and decidedly racist overtones. How could one possibly derive this much information by mere observation? Unfortunately, the rest of the poem fails to address this little point, giving it the appearance of being excerpted from David Duke’s Anthology of Favorite Poems, with a forward by Rush Limbaugh; thus does this travesty sink to the level of low-brow propaganda. There can be no doubt as to the rascist tenor of this piece, as even the author included a “disclaimer” in a feeble attempt at “damage control”. Why not just revise it? A poet should never be in a position of having to “back away” from the consequences of their work. The unfortunate part of this mess is that the author is ensnared in a trap from which there is no escape, in that either (1)the author is indeed a rascist, or (2) if not, then the author does not have the ability to properly use language and is thus incompetent to write accurately. A basic premise essential to all communication is to SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY! OK. I consider it my sad duty to do a “poetry makeover”. If the author is unwilling or unable to revise this rascist manifesto, then enter the “Field Marshal”! In the words of our family eye doctor, Dr. Walter Rados, “Better now????”

Again, I ask-
from omniscient judgement place;
on grocery line stands
momma-on-the-dole,
outpacing her years as
attached to quintet of
techni-colored,
multi-daddy-ed brood since
she gives it away (or so I think);
what of the unwashed children
with opaque future
and dubious prospect
for a life that matters;
what of them???

“Or better now???”

Even if we are to give the author the benefit of the doubt that there is no racist intent here, then we can rest assured that upon cleaning up the syntax and polishing up the imagery and modifiers, that we have essentially preserved the message while removing the inflammatory venom from this piece. It is true that it is in my style and could stand more revision, but the point is that it is possible to enable the reader to form his/her own conclusions while still maintaining control over the message and intent of the piece by SUGGESTING instead of trying to overpower the reader with a pointless, bigoted, offensive rant. This was just a clear example of abuse of the mythical “freedom of expression” fallacy. Next posting, we will get back on course with more devices. Stay tuned for some fireworks! LOL I leave you with this memorable quote:

“Keep it greasy so it goes down easy.” Frank Zappa

[/KEEP IT GREASY, SO IT GOES DOWN EASY...........WOW. SCHOOL'S OUT FOR THE DAY. THE STUDENTS CAN'T STOP LAUGHING AND GIGGLING.
[/quote]

03-29-2010 at 08:15:41 AM

RE: On Poetry 15

Quote:

I’m sure that most of us have heard (or have heard of) politicians making misstatements and gaffes, with the likes of the two Bushes, Dan Quayle, and also from my generation, Spiro Agnew. As shocking and ridiculous it is at first, it is understandable due to the lack of checks and balances between the adle brain and the mouth, so it is very easy to conceive of utterances symptomatic of diarrhea of the mouth. This misadventure should not befall the writer, especially the online poet, for the simple reason that it is more difficult to transfer thoughts from the brain to the “SUBMIT” or “RETURN” button than it is for the brain directly to the mouth. It is a much more involved process involving checks and balances, so one would think that there would be content of higher quality. Uh oh, it’s example time, and this time it is not one of mine. This excerpt is an example of the misuse of language and the unfortunate abuse of the illusive “freedom to express ourselves any way we want to” (sic) I must warn you that this is not pretty.

I ask
as I pick apart the welfare mother
in line at the grocery store 23 going on 30
for sure shes (sic) a whore
she has 5 kids of different races
I see only their dirty faces
and nothing else
(sic)

It has been quite a while since I have come across such gratuitous, inflammatory and biased hyperbole, rife with baseless presumption and decidedly racist overtones. How could one possibly derive this much information by mere observation? Unfortunately, the rest of the poem fails to address this little point, giving it the appearance of being excerpted from David Duke’s Anthology of Favorite Poems, with a forward by Rush Limbaugh; thus does this travesty sink to the level of low-brow propaganda. There can be no doubt as to the rascist tenor of this piece, as even the author included a “disclaimer” in a feeble attempt at “damage control”. Why not just revise it? A poet should never be in a position of having to “back away” from the consequences of their work. The unfortunate part of this mess is that the author is ensnared in a trap from which there is no escape, in that either (1)the author is indeed a rascist, or (2) if not, then the author does not have the ability to properly use language and is thus incompetent to write accurately. A basic premise essential to all communication is to SAY WHAT YOU MEAN, AND MEAN WHAT YOU SAY! OK. I consider it my sad duty to do a “poetry makeover”. If the author is unwilling or unable to revise this rascist manifesto, then enter the “Field Marshal”! In the words of our family eye doctor, Dr. Walter Rados, “Better now????”

Again, I ask-
from omniscient judgement place;
on grocery line stands
momma-on-the-dole,
outpacing her years as
attached to quintet of
techni-colored,
multi-daddy-ed brood since
she gives it away (or so I think);
what of the unwashed children
with opaque future
and dubious prospect
for a life that matters;
what of them???

“Or better now???”

Even if we are to give the author the benefit of the doubt that there is no racist intent here, then we can rest assured that upon cleaning up the syntax and polishing up the imagery and modifiers, that we have essentially preserved the message while removing the inflammatory venom from this piece. It is true that it is in my style and could stand more revision, but the point is that it is possible to enable the reader to form his/her own conclusions while still maintaining control over the message and intent of the piece by SUGGESTING instead of trying to overpower the reader with a pointless, bigoted, offensive rant. This was just a clear example of abuse of the mythical “freedom of expression” fallacy. Next posting, we will get back on course with more devices. Stay tuned for some fireworks! LOL I leave you with this memorable quote:

“Keep it greasy so it goes down easy.” Frank Zappa

Yeah, I totally agree with this your bombast ( nuclear bomb??) so well and aggressively expressed.
cool smirk

03-29-2010 at 08:38:41 AM

RE: RE: suggested reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

kah

Yeah, Thanks

You may add:

Rhyme and Reason by Raymond O'malley and Denys Thompson
(Hart Davis Educational)

Presenting Poetry by Tbomas Blackburn (Metuen Educational Ltd, Toronto)

Poetry : A Modern Guide To Its Understanding and Enjoyment byElizaabethDrew ( Dlell Publishing Company, New York)

03-29-2010 at 08:38:42 AM

RE: RE: suggested reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

kah

Yeah, Thanks

You may add:

Rhyme and Reason by Raymond O'malley and Denys Thompson
(Hart Davis Educational)

Presenting Poetry by Tbomas Blackburn (Metuen Educational Ltd, Toronto)

Poetry : A Modern Guide To Its Understanding and Enjoyment byElizabeth Drew ( Dlell Publishing Company, New York)

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 08:39:38 AM

03-29-2010 at 08:54:00 AM

RE: RE: Something You DO Or Something You ARE? A Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by kah

I'm so glad you opened up this discussion, WS.

I am a poet. It is who I am and what I am. I also serve lunch to high school students Monday through Friday...but a Lunch Lady is not who I am, it is merely something I do.

I cannot refrain from writing. I have to do it, like breathing. I started to write poems (and short stoies, journalling) as a child, without any education or knowledge of poetry as a craft. I simply had to put the words on paper. That has not changed. I had never read any poet other than Poe (for school) before coming on this site. Thank you, WS, for getting me to Emily Dickenson!

I also agree with WS in that, as a poet, I believe I see things intensely, I feel very deeply, and I experience the world on multiple levels.

I don't know much about the stuctural forms of poems, or metric feet (although I'm learning a bit) or even correct forms of writing. I just write. If I wrote poems that nobody liked, I'd stop posting them - but I'd keep writing.

I love the subtlies of our language; the sounds of certain words;, the interplay between sound and breath when we speak...It's all so cool to me!

I am a poet.

I just wanted to add this, and not disrupt to much of class, but I feel it needs to be talked about, and since I love Poets and Poetry, I wanted to add this...

Maybe some would define "poet" as a profession, a job that you do, in the same way you might call yourself an Aircraft Engineer, a Landscape Gardener or Roofer.

But I believe being a poet is more than that.

It's a way of seeing, hearing, feeling, and experiencing the world and translating that in a way that communicates to others the emotion and humanity behind the superficial, the purely physical and matter-of-fact.

I also think being a poet is really a part of one's nature. I think a poet sees and feels things perhaps a bit deeper than others, and he/she wants to get those strong feelings into words and down on paper. I think they're both good and bad feelings.

I think "word play" is an integral part of being a poet. You have to truly love playing with words and discovering new ones. A poet loves the sound of a beautiful sentence.

Poetry can be as deep and as affecting as any art, and a few words in a certain combination can bring a whole world of emotion, hopes and memories. I think this works on two levels, the actual sound of word combinations, and the images and feelings they evoke.

What are thoughts on being a poet? What does it mean to you? Simply a day job or something that's a core part of your identity?

Kabbal, are you a Snowflake, or are we Snow?
Get your butt over there, and roll, lol, ty WS
http://community.history.com/topic/363
smilesmilesmilewink

[[b]b]CONFESSION IS GOOD FOR THE SOUL THIS ADMISSION OR CONFESSION IS SINCERE. [/b][/b]

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 10:15:58 AM

03-29-2010 at 09:03:03 AM

A PROPOSED AMERICAN-JAMAICAN ANTHOLOGY OF ORIGINAL POETRY by OJ

Kabbalistick.

AN AMERICAN-JAMAICAN ANTHOLOGY OF ORIGINAL POETRY by John Wordslinger and Oren Cousins.

Would you care to peruse the manuscript (already prepared) as a great favour to WordSlinger and Oren Cousins? Your critique, "arrogant and bombastic suggestions" and editting would be greatly apprecaited. It you are willing to volunteer a perusal. with Ws's consent, I would upload the document to you. Chau. I love/hate you, Guy........................LOL

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 09:21:18 AM

03-29-2010 at 09:10:46 AM

RE: On Poetry 2

Quote:

I wanted to clear up some common misconceptions before I actually address the nuts and bolts of structured verse. Those new to poetry and attempting to write rhyming poetry, often think that rhyme is the most important aspect of the metric poem; after all, it is the most obvious feature. So, what inevitably happens is that words are "forced" at the end of the line, subject and object are inverted for the sake of rhyme, sometimes "new" words are "invented", sometimes adjectives or adverbs are used as nouns and inappropriate word choices are conspicuously dropped at the end of a line-all for the sake of rhyme. The end result is that you have, at best, a very contrived and clumsy attempt at structured verse with uneven line lengths, poor metric flow and severe damage to the intended message. Make no mistake about it; when the emphasis is place on rhyme, the unsuspecting poem will be sure to contract the dreaded disease "Hallmark-itis"! Oftentimes, these "newbie" poets will atempt to versify a particularly memorable or emotionally charged event in their lives and so with the usual stumbles of metric verse is added an excruciating amount of "Mazola", ie. sentimentality; usually delivered in a didactic or "preachy" tone, making the finished product a chore to read. So, here is a news flash for all "newbies" out there; RHYME IS NOT KING!!! The most important part of the rhyming poem (or really, ANY poem for that matter) is the LANGUAGE! What kind of language? The poetic idiom, of course! Poetry is like another language all unto its own. The secret to effective, compelling verse lies in mastering the poetic idiom. Once you are able to do that, everything else will follow, as you will have much more freedom from a substantially expanded vocabulary in order to rhyme convincingly and powerfully. On my next posting, I will go into the differences between regular, discursive, denotative speech and the figurative, connotative language indigenous to poetry. Until then, I leave you with this one rule: (Usually) THE LESS THAT THE POEM HAS IN COMMON WITH ORDINARY, EVERYDAY SPEECH, THE MORE EFFECTIVE AND COMPELLING IT WILL BE!wink

Hurrah! Amen! For This lecture, High Priest, Kaabbalistic deserves a gold medal

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 09:12:17 AM

03-29-2010 at 09:20:13 AM

RE: RE: New Posting (Weather Report)

Quote:

This is from us, me and my three class mates, thank you.

03-29-2010 at 09:30:24 AM

RE: On Poetry 1

Quote:

Let me tell you a little story. Somewhere in the town of Butthole Junction, Anystate, USA, there is a pizzeria on Main St, with the reputation as being the undisputed master pizzamaker; making the best, most delicious pizzas in the USA, and perhaps the entire world. It is a typical Saturday evening, and the phones are ringing off of the hook, faster than master pizza chef, Fallatio, can make the delicious frisbees. Delivery guy, Horatio, with unparalleled athletic skill, boxes each of the masterpieces and stacks them adroitly, in preparation for delivery. When that time comes, he takes the pizzas and carries them to the front of the delivery vehicle, where he lays them lovingly in front of the headlights, on the lot. He then proceeds to start the car and run right over the stack of pies; backing up over them in reverse, a total of three times. He then scoops up the cheesy mess, reboxes it the best that he can, and throws the boxes into the vehicle. He arrives at his first destination, takes out the appropriate number of pies (according to each order), drops the pies onto the sidewalk, jumps up and down three times on the pies, rescoops the now unsightly mess, reboxes them, and then delivers the now bollixed orders to each residence. Obviously, the hungry customers are not going to get what they expected; for even though the greatest pizzas came out of the oven, they were so damaged during delivery that they were not even recognizable as pizzas, let alone the world’s greatest! And so we have those legions of misguided souls who inflict the most dreadful “poetry” on the reading public, and yet justify it because they have brought us such a wonderful “message”; they maintain that it’s not necessary to learn the “technicalities” or “fine points” of writing effective verse because, after all, IT’S THE MESSAGE THAT’S IMPORTANT! The sad fact is, that without effective delivery, the message will not resonate. It will be damaged, very often to the point of being unrecognizable, without effective poetic delivery. So it is crucial to seek to grow as a poet, to learn just a little bit more each time, and to revisit our “little darlings”, in order to revise them, so that they can say exactly what we mean them to say. So, whenever you hear somebody trying to shirk their responsibility to grow as a poet, always remember Fallatio’s Pizza!.red facered facered facered facered facered facered facered face

[b]THE PIZZAS OF FALLATIO !!!

Right on, Teacher! This lesson (sermon//) is bombastically good! A lot is taught, and I hope much has been learnt.
[/b]

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 01:05:14 PM

03-29-2010 at 09:43:06 AM

Quote:

"'There is no right or wrong way to write poetry...''. Really???angryred faceshut eye Then what is this???sicksicksick

Ode On the Mammouth Cheese,
Weight Over Seven Thousand Pounds
by James McIntyre (1827-1906)
"Canada's Worst Poet''

We have seen thee, queen of cheese,
Lying quietly at your ease,
Gently fanned by evening breeze,
Thy fair form no flies dare sieze.

All gaily dressed soon you'll go
To the great Provincial show,
To be admired by many a beau
In the city of Toronto.

Cows numerous as a swarm of bees,
Or as the leaves upon the trees,
It did require to make thee please,
And stand unrivalled, queen of cheese.

May you not receive a scar as
We have heard that Mr. Harris
Intends to send you off as far as
The great world's show at Paris.

Of the youth beware of these.
For some of them right rudely squeeze
And bite your cheek, then songs or glees
We could not sing, oh! queen of cheese.

We'rt thou suspended from balloon,
You'd cast a shade even at noon,
Folks would think it was the moon
About to fall and crush them soon.

www.verybadpoetry.com

sicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksickcool grinsicksnake

A very entertaining sort of lampoon. Somewhat trivial and facetious Frivolous , yet neatly composed, eh, Lampoons shouldn't be accepted as good poetry, eh, Teacher?

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 10:50:44 AM

03-29-2010 at 10:12:58 AM

RE: The Apple Was Yummy!!!

Quote:

That's why I make the big bucks!cool smilecool smilecool smilecheesecheesecheesecheese

03-29-2010 at 10:46:47 AM

Quote:

"'There is no right or wrong way to write poetry...''. Really???angryred faceshut eye Then what is this???sicksicksick

Ode On the Mammouth Cheese,
Weight Over Seven Thousand Pounds
by James McIntyre (1827-1906)
"Canada's Worst Poet''

We have seen thee, queen of cheese,
Lying quietly at your ease,
Gently fanned by evening breeze,
Thy fair form no flies dare sieze.

All gaily dressed soon you'll go
To the great Provincial show,
To be admired by many a beau
In the city of Toronto.

Cows numerous as a swarm of bees,
Or as the leaves upon the trees,
It did require to make thee please,
And stand unrivalled, queen of cheese.

May you not receive a scar as
We have heard that Mr. Harris
Intends to send you off as far as
The great world's show at Paris.

Of the youth beware of these.
For some of them right rudely squeeze
And bite your cheek, then songs or glees
We could not sing, oh! queen of cheese.

We'rt thou suspended from balloon,
You'd cast a shade even at noon,
Folks would think it was the moon
About to fall and crush them soon.

www.verybadpoetry.com

sicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksicksickcool grinsicksnake
[b

Some sort of a facetious lampoon. I can't see almpoons to be good poetry. The subject matter for one thing, is too trivial, eh, Teacher?

03-29-2010 at 11:27:42 AM

RE: The School of Poetry

Quote:

Mr. Kabbal is doing a fine job.
He has more to offer, believe me, just let it all sink in.
Ok, here is what I have so far on the opening The School of Poetry, we have Kabbal, the magnificent, and more, but have some issues to iron out.
This here is from a conversation with a well known Poet/Teacher.
---
There are many poets that do not want to take suggestions at all. They get offended by suggestions. It's one thing if someone pays to take a class; they want their moneys worth, so they are willing to listen to lectures and do assignments. On a volunteer basis they want to tell you to stick it up your butt. Then there is the problem of dealing with each individual on the board; that's a lot of work when it comes to working on the individual intent in each individual poem. So much would have to be structured for the forum. To reduce the work load and to eliminate those that want to argue instead of trying to do an assignment.
--
Poets will be getting free knowledge, from the passion of the teachers.
im thinking why would anybody, want to argue with that, take what you learn and apply it.
Why would you want to argue, or slander a teacher.
If you dont like what they have to teach, use your selective senses, and turn away.
===

All of this could be done by just posting the assignments we could set up a program to work toward a certain goal. Like writing a sonnet in Iambic Pentameter. Starting out with intent in metaphor, form and music and moving to the finished sonnet form in accentual syllabic meter. Anyone taking the class would be learning about metaphor, form, music free verse, anaphora, refrains, identities, then moving into syllabic meter then into iambs and scansion, and then rhymes/ terza rima and finally the sonnet. But the class would have to be built on their own discussion and teachers. Teachers want their own time to write. So they would just post the information an then they would do the writing assignments on their own. Teachers are not into correcting a lot of poet's work at all. But if a writer was to do all the assignments they would be moving toward a better understanding of poetry as a whole. They would begin to see the hierarchy of the art of writing, and poetry.
====
There is also the problem of individuals jumping into the middle of the classes without looking at the proceeding posts. which could cause a lot of confusion and explanation to bring them up to date. The order of all this would be vital to the progression of understanding in each writer. Teaching on the internet is not an easy thing to do because as you know voice is part of poetry and there is no voice on the computer. And when you get to the point where you have to explain what's meant by a forced iambic line. It would be tough to teach on a computer.

So what we are going to have to do, is set up rules.
One is that the Teacher is the Master of the thread,
if he flags you then, you are suspended.
If Poetry is your life then this idea should not be a problem.
I am waiting for more Teachers to reply back.
Any suggestions, pm me, dont post here.
This is Kabbals' thread, thank you WordSlinger

YEAH, i agree, that Kabbalisic is doing a great job, though a bit bombastic ( I believe his "bombs" are merely harmless barking as a humorous teacher, no rabies detected) .........LOL

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 11:29:36 AM

03-29-2010 at 12:29:55 PM

RE: Great Poetry: Jerusalem by William Blake

Quote:

One of my favorite poems, perhaps the greatest poem ever written, don't you agree?

Jerusalem

And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the Holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pasture's seen?

And did the Countenance Divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among these dark satanic mills.

Bring me my bow of burning gold,
Bring me my arrows of desire;
Bring me my spear-O cloud's unfold,
Bring me my Chariot of Fire!

I will not cease from mental fight.
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land!

-William Blake
************************************************************************************************

Blake is one of my favourite inspiration and literary icon. TNANKS for mentioning him. My faourite Blake's poems are:

TO WINTER,
THE CLOD AND THE PEBBLE,
LINES FROM AUGURIES OF INNOCENCE
I am trying to remember another of my Blake's favourites, I rhink the title is THE CAT AND THEGOLDFISH,

Unpunstuated Poetry.
Kabbalistik. I ask you to comment on the issue that. I have seen some good poetry on OP all messed up, because the poets didn't bother to punctuate. It seems to be a "mod literary trend" with many American poets. An English poet would be bitterly pillorized, sent to Coventry, for daring to publish an unpunctuated poem. How does a poet expect a reader to render a poem,as the poet designed it to be interpreted, if his work is unpunctuated/ What do you say about this "mod" trend?

On another matter. There are poets who take umbrage when their work (typos, weak lines, inappropriate diction and imagery are pointed out) is criticized. All poets should bear in mind that they retain the copyright to their creations, but once a poem is published, it becomes public domain. The public, which includes incompetent critics is entitled at liberty to respond critically. Poets need to be ;thick-skinned , fearless and tolerant.

***************************************************************************************************

For Beryl Rea
cheesecheese

Last edited by cousinsoren 03-29-2010 at 08:54:31 PM

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA