Original Poetry Forums

How To Get Your Poetry Read 101

09-23-2010 at 04:56:28 AM

RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101

It is important to show the common curtsey of responding to a critque someone has taken the time to post. Excellent point Angel. Another item that people should avoid is leaving thank you messages on a persons profile page. Send a PM and reply on the comment. It doesn't have to be elaborate a simple thank you will suffice.

09-23-2010 at 05:24:06 AM

I wear revealing clothing.

09-23-2010 at 06:16:59 PM

I agree with Angel and Rhymer everyone likes feed back . If you think there comment is not to your taste you can still answer back tactfully . But remember you posted in here to have people read and give there comments dont get upset if they are not all pats on the back . You have to have an open mind .

09-23-2010 at 06:47:10 PM

RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101/ AN UNREAD POET: READERS WANTED

HERE IS AN UNREAD POET; THE SHOWMAN.

Follow this link:
http://www.originalpoetry.com/poet/TheShowMan

if there were a contest for the most unread poet, The Showman would win with ease. Come on OP Members you can't know how good is he unless you read him. "The proof of the pudiding is in the eating.".

The Showman's Performance bioI MPRESSIVE !!

Hey everyone, been writing since I was 10 and I have a published book out. Currently working on a second book of poetry. This is not all I do though LOL. I love to stay fit by going to the gym and doing outside activites. I enjoy eating, having fun, listening to music and being random. Joined here becuase a good friend told me about this site. I always enjoy sharing my work and talking to people about poetry becuase its awesome duhh!!!!!. I used to draw, paint and also had a interest in photography. I enjoy watching movies as well. My goal here is to make friends and read other peoples work and maybe gain a few fans here or there LOL. I do like to eat as well, yeah its a hobby in my world smile. If anyone has any more questions about me just email me or message me.

Last edited by cousinsoren 09-23-2010 at 07:17:31 PM

09-23-2010 at 06:59:51 PM

RE: RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101/ AN UNREAD POET: READERS WANTED

Hey Cousin, I checked out a poem of Showman, and it was pretty good.
He has over 300 poems listed.......that is a lot of poems. I have never
had him leave a comment on any of my poems.......maybe that is why
nobody seems to read and comment on his.............just a thought......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

HERE IS AN UNREAD POET; SHOWMAN. if there were a contest for the most unread poet, Showman would win with ease. Come on OP Members you can't know how good is he unless you read him. "The proof of the pudiding is in the eating.

Showman's Performance bioIMPRESSIVE !!

Hey everyone, been writing since I was 10 and I have a published book out. Currently working on a second book of poetry. This is not all I do though LOL. I love to stay fit by going to the gym and doing outside activites. I enjoy eating, having fun, listening to music and being random. Joined here becuase a good friend told me about this site. I always enjoy sharing my work and talking to people about poetry becuase its awesome duhh!!!!!. I used to draw, paint and also had a interest in photography. I enjoy watching movies as well. My goal here is to make friends and read other peoples work and maybe gain a few fans here or there LOL. I do like to eat as well, yeah its a hobby in my world smile. If anyone has any more questions about me just email me or message me.

09-23-2010 at 07:05:06 PM

I to haved read showman's poetry and again as everyone else he has yet to read any of mine so maybe he need to put forth the efffort .

09-23-2010 at 07:27:06 PM

Yeah, I agree folks. It is suggested that THE SHOWMAN practices what we call " Tit for tat" in my country. i have just discovered that "tit for tat" is in the Webster's Dictionary. . Mr. Gogant, please notice!.................Lol
Even if The Showman has to "burn his candle at both ends." No actuality intended.

A Jamaican proverb is. "Monkey scratch monkey back." I haven't heard it said by anyone for a long time. We have never had monkeys in Jamaica, but its meaning is clear. ...............LOL

I like his poetry.

Last edited by cousinsoren 09-23-2010 at 07:39:06 PM

09-23-2010 at 07:41:55 PM

RE: RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

Goody advice, Sling..........now I am going over to Showman's page to see
what's new.
Here is a plug for Hannahlynn.......Please read her wonderful poem,
"May I have this Dance"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Please post the link for a poet or poem , Gogant. It helps! Thanks.

09-23-2010 at 07:41:55 PM

Quote:

what's new.
"May I have this Dance"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

09-23-2010 at 08:29:57 PM

RE: monkey business....

angel - it is true... we all WANT and deserve to receive a thank you for time spent reading and commenting on another's poem...

....and I have been remiss in this task.. I know... and my excuse ? I am an abuse survivor and have been a near-mute most of my life... and struggle just to post my poems and feel as if I'm climbing a mountain when I go to comment on another's poem... however... it is only fair to respond to the comments on my poems left by others... and my disability is my own and I should not have allowed it to over-run Ms Manner's rules of fair play and not respond in kind... so to ALL who have suffered this infraction from me... I apologize, and will work in honest measure, to treat you as I want to be treated... with consideration... so THANK YOU, angel for this very clear point of improvement, of which I have needed....

09-23-2010 at 09:44:21 PM

Sprinsize: There are always exceptions to be considered, and remember these are not rules. They are merely suggestions to improve reader response to your postings. Though not impaired physically I know of the abuse you speak of. Take your time, respond as you can and don't worry about it. You are a talented writer.

09-23-2010 at 10:08:24 PM

RE: RE: RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101

Good advice, Cousin. Here is the link....
http://www.originalpoetry.com/may-i-have-this-dance_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

what's new.
"May I have this Dance"

09-24-2010 at 03:48:08 AM

Profile pic- not everyone may agree with me on this point but I think the pic you choose as your profile pic can have a effect on how many friends you get as well as how many reviews. I know this sounds silly, it really does but truth be told most of society is very visual. Your profile pic sends a message to the reader and creates a image in thier mind, whether good or bad, it is really indifferent, it is just a fact of modern life that before someone gets to know you and reads your poems they judge you on how you look. Now as most of us don't have actual pics of ourselves it is our bio pic that they use to form this judgement. So why do you care, well if you choose a pic that is eye catching, interesting, symbolic, a pic that expresses yourself a reader will be more likely to request you as a friend and read your poetry, I know this sounds silly but it is the truth. I will be honest and admit I do it sometimes, if I see a really cool bio pic, exspecially something that is unique or symbolic I am more likely to be interested in checking out his/her profile and want to read thier poem, it is just a little known fact. Society is visual. Plus when someone sees your name they tend to relate your bio pic as a representation of yourself. It creates a image, sets a tone, and if choosen correctly can really increase your reviews. If you look at some of the poets on the site that get a lot of reviews and are well known in the community you will notice they each have unique profile pics, not saying it is absolutely necessary but it does help some, just a fact. Food for thought and my two cents. Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life!

09-24-2010 at 01:52:27 PM

Me personally, i dont care if a lot of people read my poetry. I love reading other poets on here but rarely comment. I would like to get noticed though. The "delete your old poems" isnt a very good idea to me, though. If you enjoy posting why should you delete your poems?

09-24-2010 at 03:08:29 PM

I go along with your thinking, Angel. I rarely leave a comment on a
poem if the poet has one of those blank silhouettes........nor do I
read anyone's poems if they have a weird photo such as bloody
bodies, or devils, and such......to me it seems as though the photo
might reflect their disrespect for beauty and nature. Sometimes I
wonder if decent poetry is being tossed out the window and being
replaced with gruesome and degrading muse. It is getting harder and
harder to find "good" poetry to read on this site...............There are lots
and lots of poets here that I admire......mostly clean, mostly humorous,
mostly poetical, and mostly simple to read and enjoy. I would add that if
one wants to get their poetry read, though there are some that don't
want theirs read..hmmmm, just keep it clean as possible, use good
grammar, correct spelling and punctuation, don't use words such as,
ur, cuz, btw, lol, wtf, and others that make one appear to be text minded
folks. And, stop with vulgar words....they serve no purpose
except to make the writer seem as if they have no respect for human frailty.

09-24-2010 at 04:35:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseycrtz

Me personally, i dont care if a lot of people read my poetry. I love reading other poets on here but rarely comment. I would like to get noticed though. The "delete your old poems" isnt a very good idea to me, though. If you enjoy posting why should you delete your poems?
If you really don't care about getting your poetry read then why post them at all, whether we admit it or not most of us have the basic need and want to be heard, or maybe you just want to share, perhaps you post as a release, a way to vent, perhaps you don't neccessarily want tons of reviews but I am sure you still appreciate it when you get them. As for deleting poems, most of us don't do this often but from time to time some people want to start fresh, some people may want to get thier older poems read by reposting them, or editing them. There are many different reasons as there are poets on here. Now you say you would like to become more noticed but to do this you need to comment and get people to read your poetry, otherwise it is unlikely anyone will know you on a poet site if not for your poetry. You also said you love to read poetry but rarely comment, while we all appreciate your love for poetry but if you never comment, the poet never knew you were there. If you really want to be more well known it is really easy, read, read, read, and comment, comment, comment, and as a good side effect you will notice not only will you become more well known throught Op land but you will get more reviews that come your way. Also to become more visible try becoming active in the chat rooms, forum threads, etc. There is another thread on this forum specifically for How to become more visible in the OP community 101. If this is one of your main goals than I would start there. I hope some of this info has helped. if you have any further questions feel free to contact myself angel33614 or any other member of Papa's angels, we are all here to help. Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL cool smile

09-24-2010 at 06:16:15 PM

I like poetry of all kinds . But i feel you can write great poetry without seeing if i am to old to know the off color words you can use . Good poetry touches the heart be it sad or joyful .I have also found that if you follow your heart and style you will be better off. There are some great classes here if you would like to improve your style . Be true to yourself and you can't go wrong.

09-24-2010 at 09:32:56 PM

RE: RE: RE: How To Get Your Poetry Read 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel33614

Originally Posted by jerseycrtz

If you really don't care about getting your poetry read then why post them at all, whether we admit it or not most of us have the basic need and want to be heard, or maybe you just want to share, perhaps you post as a release, a way to vent, perhaps you don't neccessarily want tons of reviews but I am sure you still appreciate it when you get them. As for deleting poems, most of us don't do this often but from time to time some people want to start fresh, some people may want to get thier older poems read by reposting them, or editing them. There are many different reasons as there are poets on here. Now you say you would like to become more noticed but to do this you need to comment and get people to read your poetry, otherwise it is unlikely anyone will know you on a poet site if not for your poetry. You also said you love to read poetry but rarely comment, while we all appreciate your love for poetry but if you never comment, the poet never knew you were there. If you really want to be more well known it is really easy, read, read, read, and comment, comment, comment, and as a good side effect you will notice not only will you become more well known throught Op land but you will get more reviews that come your way. Also to become more visible try becoming active in the chat rooms, forum threads, etc. There is another thread on this forum specifically for How to become more visible in the OP community 101. If this is one of your main goals than I would start there. I hope some of this info has helped. if you have any further questions feel free to contact myself angel33614 or any other member of Papa's angels, we are all here to help. Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL cool smile

I do use this as a release! I do appreciate each and every comment i get, although the quality of my poetry does not change whether it gets 0 views or 20.
I see what your saying about deleting the poems. Although I also like to use this as a time capsule. I like to see how my poetry has changed over time. I will comment on each poem i read now, thank you for the advice!!grin

09-24-2010 at 11:59:49 PM

Poem pics- just like a profile pic sets the tone and creates an image of the poet in people's minds so the right pic can really enhance your poetry. Again, truth be told, most people is society are visual, for better or for worse this is a modern fact. The perfectly choosen pic can really set up the tone and ambiance of a poem, helps create a mental image. So why do you care about pics, simple, as people are visual they tend to judge, for better or for worse, the book by the cover. So when a poet is trying to find a poem to read the first thing they see when they click on your poem is the pic that pops up, if it is a symbolic eye catching image often the poets will be more interested in reading the poem, perhaps this may sound silly to some, but trust me it is the truth and works. I always put a lot of time and effort into choosing the perfect pic for the right poem. You can also use a pic to trick your reader, set them up for a twist, you can choose a certain pic that sets up the tone or creates an image and then as your poem progresses you can twist and transform the original image in the reader's mind into something else entirely. Or change the tone from one thing to another, you can use the pic to help lure your reader into the poem and then allow the poem to take them to a whole another place entirely. I will use a perfect example of one of my friends Rhymer, he wrote a poem called excorism, and choose a pic ofcourse to fit the title so when i started reading the poem I had it all set in my mind what the tone was and what the meaning of the poem was going to be about, but as I read the poem the meaning changed entirely into something else. I will not give away my friends secret to the meaning but it twisted my mind from the original image into something else entirely as the meaning was transformed. So end result the pic you choose can be so much more than just a picture, it can really add to the meaning of the poem, the tone, the mood, create an image, and the right pic can help increase the reader's interest and help get your poem read. Just food for thought, and my two cents. Purity of the soul, journey well!!! with grace and humility ANGEL- POB for life!cool smile

09-26-2010 at 03:05:21 PM

It might be a good idea for contributors, instead of typing their poems directly on the "originalpoetry" new poem field, to first type it as a Word document, so that the grammar and spell check features could catch any typos/misspellings, then copy and paste it in. I've often begun reading a piece then found myself turned off by the mistakes. Give yourself every advantage to make readers want to look at you work : )

09-26-2010 at 08:36:13 PM

That is what I do, Chaos........type, copy, and paste........There are
some here that just don't care about spelling, punctuation, and caps.
I guess it is up to the individual if they want to misspell, or whatever.
I know I try my best not to misuse words such as, there, their, they're,
your, you're, and so on. Another thing one you should do is to use an
apostrophe to show possession. I think it is important to use the right
word, if not, I feel it causes a good poem to decrease in value if a poet
uses "won" instead of "one."

grin

09-27-2010 at 08:13:30 PM

ginga and Teardrops would love more readers to come and read here. There is so much talent on OP and these established poets are showcasing 2 similar poems on this page. If you are interested in coupling with a fellow poet for horror, blood, dark poetry, October is around the corner and it would be great fun to display your poems. Please come to 2poemsforu...read the instructions in the BIO section. We would gladly have you come submit ghoulish genres...

Thanks,
ginga and Teardropsgulp

09-29-2010 at 04:53:44 PM

Quote:

That is what I do, Chaos........type, copy, and paste........There are
some here that just don't care about spelling, punctuation, and caps.
I guess it is up to the individual if they want to misspell, or whatever.
I know I try my best not to misuse words such as, there, their, they're,
your, you're, and so on. Another thing one you should do is to use an
apostrophe to show possession. I think it is important to use the right
word, if not, I feel it causes a good poem to decrease in value if a poet
uses "won" instead of "one."

grin

i almost never use punctuation and very rarely use capitol letters... it is just a person prefernce of mine when i write... i break my lines where i want the readers to break the thought and if i need a pause within a line i will an ellipsis... the reason i dont use capitols is because in my writting there is no one word that is more important than any other word and if there is a case where i want to emphasis something i will capitolize the entire word so that it does stand out... as for mispelling.. i am a terrible speller but there is a spell check on the page that can be used before a poem is submitted... i use it everytime

09-29-2010 at 09:54:48 PM

Well Dano, in poetry one can do as they please...if they choose to misspell
or choose not to use punctuation....or even use the wrong homophone....then
God bless them. But if they choose to do just the opposite, like me, then I think
it makes them happy when they get it grammatically correct..

cool hmm

09-29-2010 at 10:04:30 PM

He said homophone.... hehe grin

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA