Original Poetry Forums

Celebrating Kenneth Wooden's Birthday Contest

10-22-2010 at 08:27:51 AM

RE: Celebrating Kenneth Wooden's Birthday Contest

OP Poets what amazing work! With heartfelt graditude for your wonderful efforts - beautifully crafted work - keep them coming! Peace, Light and Love Kanicki

grinwinksmile

10-22-2010 at 01:25:42 PM

Under a Knight's Wings
(Ode to Kenneth Wooden)

A Knight still rides in this dark age
He swings his sword of justice
with a voice of fiery passion
and pen of screaming rage

A horse of war, of resolution
A harbinger of love and hope
He overcomes evil
and destroys affliction

Come, gather under his wing
Take refuge behind his shield
Rise up with faith and strength
Do not fear anything.

10-22-2010 at 07:09:51 PM

this is a making of a book, i was mentally abused, because dad said I never would be a wordslinger, dad can read the wordslingers here......

Poets of Op there are children that can not speak like you, you are thier voice..

Remove their PAIN......

wink

10-22-2010 at 07:34:16 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Darkness

Delicious moonlight
Sliding along succulent little arms
Swinging without a care.

I am filthy for even watching her.
Humming sweetly to herself
She walks so near, unaware.

I can easily pick up
Her clean unspoiled scent,
Her fragrant gleaming hair.

Awful hunger rises in me
Even as I fight the urge
To reach and grab, then take.

This little angel passes on,
Oblivious to the death
She so hotly tempted.

I remain, for though I let her pass
I am not merciful, not satisfied.
Someone will take her place.

Oh, but still I hear her little steps!
I want her, the wrongness
Making her more desirable!

I make a dash, catch her
Relishing in her tight fearful body.
Too quick for a scream!

Only my groan of ecstasy,
Unbearable pleasure
Pulsing through me.

copyright 2009 Kimberly Hillard

Last edited by kah 10-22-2010 at 07:51:50 PM

10-22-2010 at 07:35:05 PM
  • kah
  • kah

Damn It

Oh I am a fetching thing,
a delightful doll
that all would dress at will.

Oh my words are a balm
to the lonely liquid ache
of a one- eared man.

I want to be known
For something sweeter
Than luscious letters.

Soul talk, star light, please!
Everyone wants the fiery flesh -
guess that’s all I’m good for.

Oh I’m a fetching thing -
No not really, just a coin
That’s been rubbed wrong too often.

Oh my words are a balm
That slicken my skin
As I die within a little more.

I wanted a moonbeam
to shine on me
and see more than my skin.

Soul talk, star light, please
I just didn’t know my pain
Was to be mine, and mine alone.

copyright 2010 Kimberly Hillard

Last edited by kah 10-22-2010 at 07:52:26 PM

10-22-2010 at 08:45:10 PM

we are not worthless

we were used

physically and emotionally abused

but we are not worthless

we are precious

we were only children

young and innocent then

to the ways of men

it is they who are without value

and may they burn

for their sick addictions

that changed our lives

and made us feel worth nothing at all

leaving us empty inside

their filthy minds

and their unclean deeds

and their carnal needs

so many lives of children

they have altered

and we plummet downward

without taking blame

they walk away

to defile a child another day

Copyright 2010 Regina

10-22-2010 at 08:47:19 PM

the girl I was
I was young and pretty

many men noticed me

a little more than a child

I went about my life blind

for my eyes could not see

all that was before me

for all the attention received

made me feel like a woman

although still a child

I wanted acceptance and love

for this is the girl I was

I gave a man my trust

in friendship as he promised

full of hope and love I was

on the verge of womanhood

a girl of fifteen

he took my innocence from me

which changed my life

he became the father of my child

Copyright 2010 Regina

10-22-2010 at 08:50:33 PM

indiscretions
I was young and innocent

to the ways of the world back then

but many looked away

from the indiscretions of men

I was blamed for innocence lost

I must have asked for this somehow

and for many years I blamed myself

the soul of a child is still new

and takes a long time to heal

for me the pain was reversible

in self loathing and blame

I wondered through life

until I came to terms with

my inner fears and began to fight

I longed for love

but I didn’t think myself worthy

for I was broken damaged and dirty

the ice queen they called me then

for if a boy touched me

I would freeze up inside and turn to ice

years later I realized

what happened was not my fault

for I am worthy after all

the indiscretions of a man

had changed my life

Copyright 2010 Regina

10-22-2010 at 09:24:12 PM

A Childs’ Weapon (Ode to Kenneth Wooden)

Child be aware of friendly faces
They may take you to scary places

Nice people lie, and can be a danger
A friendly face sure can be a stranger

Child learn how a bad person can lure
Not everyone’s innocent and pure

Always remember things you learn from school
Monsters can wear nice clothes and seem what cool

No one should touch you, and that is a rule
Always know what to do don’t be a fool

You are the prize of your parents and home
One day you have a child when you’re grown

Bad people can be nice people experts
Child be alert so your friends don’t get hurt

John E WordSlinger 2010

Last edited by WordSlinger 11-03-2010 at 01:11:45 PM

10-22-2010 at 09:33:22 PM

Amanda's Swing

Underneath the boughs of an old oak tree
There sits a young girl, on a swing where she dreams
Of land without warnings-
A place she can hide

With hope to reach the angels
Higher she glides, eyes closed tight
-maybe today if she can swings high enough she’ll disappear into the sky
‘Maybe today they will take me before tonight’

The other children on the playground
Unaware, they sing riddles and play-
Of Amanda’s blanket of sorrow, and the rescue for which she prays

Am I a ghost
Created to hurt?
Am I a lost princess
Born without any worth?

Why do they laugh
;and skip so free?
Do they not know fear
;and wear the same wounds as me?

Would ‘they’ believe me
-if I told them my truth?
Or would they deceive me
;and blame imagination and youth?

Then she could hear her mother’s words still etched in her mind-
“To speak my name, would be public disgrace”
As she sneered the warning-
"Then you my dear, will bare those scars upon your face!"

How can I cry for help
When my tongue has been snipped not to scream?
Will I ever find childhood
When I have been stifled to dream?

The bell of the school house rang loud
Recess has come to a close
For a moment Amanda waits-
To see if an angel calls

Help me, please.

She fixes her strands to mask the bruises
Then she walks to the doors
For these are the marks scorned
When a bad girl does not finish her chores

Later that night in her cell
Amanda hears her mother shriek her name with command
Then the thunder of footsteps drum down the hall
Before she bursts open the door, with razor strap in hand

Amanda tries to cover quickly
Her tiny arms, her only shell
The strap crashes forward
Like a kiss sent from hell

Amanda whimpers- but knows not to cry
For brave little girls are not weak-
;and Amanda would rather die
Then leave mother satisfied

She pretends her silent tears are rose petals
As the bloody pools stream down her face
With the hope that the Winds of Peace will come-
To lift the hurt, and carry them far away

My prayers have been answered
She thinks as her flesh becomes numb
Then her sights befell darkness
;and she heard her angels come

While the strap continues to lash
She lifts her body to kneel- and rose her arms high
Then she felt the Angel of Mercy’s wings wrap around her-
As he took her spirit gently, ascending into the sky

Yes, the angels were listening to a young girls plea-
For underneath the boughs of an old oak tree
Swaying in a breeze now empty is- Amanda’s special swing

©2010 Madelynn-Tammyjo Tamborini

Last edited by Madelynn 10-22-2010 at 09:37:24 PM

10-22-2010 at 11:10:24 PM
  • ThoughtCaster
  • ThoughtCaster

Childhood is over too soon under the best of circumstances; to strip a child of their trust, to despoil them of the belief that those who love you will always protect and never harm you, to commit the obscenity of taking a child and simply, totally ruining their world, to destroy the joy in their hearts ....

It is, in my opinion, the most unpardonable and irredeemable of human crimes. Period.
And another is when a friend in times of need like these betrays you...

I applaud everyone of you for writing on this subject...

10-22-2010 at 11:32:42 PM

RE: RE: Celebrating Kenneth Wooden's Birthday Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtCaster

Childhood is over too soon under the best of circumstances; to strip a child of their trust, to despoil them of the belief that those who love you will always protect and never harm you, to commit the obscenity of taking a child and simply, totally ruining their world, to destroy the joy in their hearts ....

It is, in my opinion, the most unpardonable and irredeemable of human crimes. Period.
And another is when a friend in times of need like these betrays you...

I applaud everyone of you for writing on this subject...

It wasn't easy. Now everyone knows more about me than they would have liked to have known.

I feel guilty for posting it. It may have helped me. But it's so disturbing to others I think. And I didn't even get into the details of Juvenile Court, the snake of a defense attorney, and the nightmares I had for years...

10-23-2010 at 07:55:05 AM

To all OP poets who have posted and submitted poems in the Kenneth Wooden Contest; I applaud your effort and courage!!! At the beginning of this contest, I had but one goal, to honor and celebrate Kenneth Wooden's Birthday; Ken loves poetry and I thought, what a better way to accomplish celebrating his birthday and life's work than to enlist the talent of the many phenomenal poets of OrginalPoetry. For anyone who reads this site's Forum without a doubt they are viewing masterpiece poetry submitted for the Ken Contest; each with a unique style in approaching this sensitive subject matter, from different view points, perspectives; some poems have been crafted in some of the following styles: Concentrated, Imaginative, Chosen and arranged, Emotional, Sound and rhythm, Allegory, Ode, Dramatic Monologue, they'll are amazingly uniquely different; what make the poems greater works of art, is the subject matter can evoke disheartening, disturbing and unsettling sentiments; hence it was challenging!
To everyone who submitted a poem you are to be highly commended; You are all bright courageous shinning stars - winners!!

With that said, I'm relieved I will not be selecting the winners; it would be a most difficult task, one I'm not up to. I too want to add that the Woodens thus far are honored with such a unique gift; they've very much enjoyed reading and reviewing all the poems. I have received some 'love this one' back from Ken and his family members already. They are enjoying them all for very different reasons. Too they have expressed interested in posted a poem or two on their site; which is a world renown website! That will be entirely up to the winner-poets and the Woodens; certainly the Woodens are honorable people and will request expressed permission from the authors.

I want to add there will be a third prize awarded. You all share in this wonderful gift of poetry!! I would like to do this again in the future with the permission of John E. and Maddy. Hopefully the next time with the help of sponsorship there can be a greater number of awards with larger prize amounts. In keeping with that thought I would like to offer the following quotes from some of my favorite poets and famous people, on gift giving:

"You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give". Kahlil Gibran
To that I say, THANK YOU WONDERFUL POETS OF ORGINALPOETRY...YOU'RE POETRY IN 'EMOTIONsmile

"Do not stand on a high pedestal and take 5 cents in your hand and say, "here, my poor man", but be grateful that the poor man is there, so by making a gift to him you are able to help yourself. It is not the receiver that is blessed, but it is the giver, Be thankful that you are allowed to exercise your power of benevolence and mercy in the world, and thus become pure and perfect." Swami Vivekananda
To that I say, THANK YOU FOR YOUR WONDERFUL TALENTED CONTRIBUTIONS OF ART; AND THE GIFT OF BENEVOLENCE AND MERCY EXTENDED TO THE UNDERSTANDING AND SHARING OF OTHERS SENTIMENTS.

"For it is in the giving that we receive". St. Francis of Assisi
To that I say, THANK YOU, I HAVE RECEIVED A GREAT DEAL OF ENLIGHTENMENT BY THE DEPTH AND WISDOM WITHIN YOUR ART...please though should there be a next time would someone be kind enough to forward on a carton of tissues...each poem brought me to tears for very different reasons...seriously!! For two days, I had a 'crygraine' a word I coined...a migraine for shedding too many tears...gosh LOL...I wish it were a few lbs...LOLsmile

Now why the quotes of giving? You all gave of your precious time and talent; it is much appreciated!!! Good Luck to All!!

I wish to ask all of OP members to give something else -- that is extend something -- your respect and support --there are several things that prompted me to write this message; one to thank all OP poets, two inform you there will be a third prize, three and most important; I'm concerned for those and about those who have written personal/confessional Poetry -- such as the one posted on this forum -- I respectfully asked that she and anyone else who reveals such deep angst and pain be given support and be treated with respect, PLEASE! If you are so incline, please reach out with peace, love and light...be tender, be gentle. We are all very fragile - at sometime in our lives.

One of the biggest obstacles in preventing child abuse is that the blame and shame which leads to denial by those in authority and/or guardians who can help prevent sexual abuse/abuses/bullying; intervene on behalf of victims and potential victims. It's the blame and shame that victims are often made to feel...born out of ignorance; that's one of the many reasons prevention education is vitally important. Too, by communicating openly about child abuse we can begin to remove the ignorance, protect children and place the blame and shame where it belongs --with the Predators/Abusers.

It is an unfortunate fact, child abuse/sexual child abuse is a silent violent epidemic according to the American Association. By communicating openly it provides victims the opportunity to heal; to place the blame and shame where it belongs - on THE PREDATORS/ABUSERS, too taking away an unfair advantage that silence gives the predators! Vitally important communicating openly is an opportunity to educate children/youths and their guardians how to "Think First and Stay Safe"...child abuse prevention education...IT SAVE LIVES and a Life Time of Pain and Suffering! So please spread the word about the necessary about 'Child Lures Prevention' CLP and 'Teen Lures Prevention" TLP...with friends, family, within your communities...Thank You.

As I hope I've made some important points, communicating openly about child abuse is essential to healing and preventing these heinous crimes against humanity! To quote Ken, "Children our 20% of our population and a 100% of our future".

I'm concerned about the person on this site who had the courage to reveal such horrific and detailed information about her abuse; I want to commend her for her courage; this was her personal decision; I hope with all my heart that it will be emancipating and healing; I believe it would be helpful to let her know she is not alone; I hope others will reach out with support and tenderness. We are not the sum of what misguided souls do to us...I'm being benevolent I meant 'assouls' do to us; one can go from victim to victor; it's not what we're giving, or that is done to us; it's what we do with it that makes all the difference in our lives and in the world.

One of the many things I love about poetry; it calls upon the writer and reader/receiver to cogitate in a very different way; a much deeper way; often outside the box; extracting wisdom from the heart and head in synergy creating often rhythm and rhyme, imagery captivating the senses; I believe that's what makes it's so healing. My hope is for those who read these poems peace, light and healing...poetry is indeed a powerful healing art...A SPECIAL THANKS TO JOHN E. AND MADDY...FOR ALL THEIR ENERGY, LIGHT AND PASSION...IN FOSTERING HEALING!!

For more on the topic of poetry and healing: http://poeticmedicine.org/books.html

I will post links for those who wish to seek help in dealing with child abuse...in the very near future.

Some of you who have gotten to know me realize that I'm passionate about the issue of child abuse; Why, I will provide a very simple answer, most of us our motivated by two things: inspiration or desperation; Kenneth Wooden has inspired me, I had the privilege of meeting him when I was just a child (way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) LOL I thought it was about time I'd inject some of my simple-witted humor; OK I'll be serious now, (OK way back when electricity was invented) LOL...two decades past and our paths crossed again. I looked Ken up attempting to get an autographed book of his 'Weeping In the Playtime of Others' for a friend about 4 years ago...he got on the phone and remember me; so that may give you some insight into my childhood or lack there of; but too the positive impact and impression he had on me at an early age. See...that's the kind of genuine passion and love he has for caring about children. That's the kind of passion his two daughters Jennifer and Rosemary who've followed in their father footstep and too their moms; Marty share together - CLP. The Woodens share a sincere, compassionate and passionate love for children; protecting them from harm and keeping them safe is paramount. I'm sure most of us believe/know children are precious; after all we are once weresmile...so what could be more noble than protecting our precious innocent who are so vulnerable...?

Peace, Light and Love,

Kanicki

Healing from Sexual Abuse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpTfDBYsc9Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHE7FuhPxs YouTube poem on child abuse woman reads...

10-23-2010 at 10:05:56 AM

what did i do...

sitting on the floor with a drawing pad...
a young boy sketches with a dull leaded pencil
the round edge making fat lines on the paper

a trance fixated within the eyes
a blank stare upon his face
completely unaware of the mess he's made

a single tear wheals up in his eye
slowly it rises and spills over the rim
it creeps down his cheek and roll to his chin

unanimated the boys pencil scribes across the paper
silently the images are cast without thought
and smeared by his hand dragging across the lines
a single thought enters his mind...

he thinks outloud to himself...
"what did i do?"

quietly he sits alone in his room
the only sound comes from the friction on the paper
his pencil nearly worn down to the wood

his left hand unconsciously fidgets with his showlace
while his right hand is terribly busy with the unnoticed art
he stares at the wall but its really not there

listless his eyes appear to wonder unaware
glancing back and forth from the paper to... nothing
the world is invisible

the only thing he sees... other than the smeared images of his sketch
memories he cannot forget
visions he sees in his minds eye
a single thought enters his mind...

he thinks outloud to himself
"what did i do... that was so bad?"

slowly his eyes fill up with sad
like tiny soldiers falling to their deaths
the tears leap from his eyes

he feels them advancing... running down his face
soothing against the stinging pain
the outline of a hand... welted up the size of a mans

the strawberry that stains his cheek
just below his left eye
seems to swell as he starts to cry

a sound at the door... thump... thump...thump...
quickly he brushes the tears away with his sleeve
erasing all evidence that he is weak

a brooding voice comes into his space
"F@&KIN' PU**Y..." says the brood with a smirk on his face

the boy pretends not to notice
absently he shifts his focus... to his sketch
now stained with tears and smeared with neglect

the subconscious thought of his unwielding pencil
the images cast upon the page
the figure of a monster alive and full of rage

smeared across the paper
blurred into the background
its giant hand striking across the face with a smack
a single thought comes back

he thinks outloud to himself...
"what did i do... that was so bad... that i deserved that"

copywrite 2010 dano

Last edited by Dano 10-23-2010 at 10:19:38 AM

10-23-2010 at 01:59:07 PM

Kenneth Wooden's Birthday Contest

Sanctorum

In the conscientious effort
To improve our world’s condition,
It’s worthwhile to acknowledge
Those deserving recognition.

Behold a Sentinel of aspects.
Too few, these days, discern;
These are genuine devotion
And honorable concern.

This state cannot be quantified,
Nor its increase to the soul’s account,
Gained through principled attention
To the things that truly count.

By a caring conscience chosen
And by love’s mandate elected;
To make certain that the innocent
Shall not go unprotected—

Against the malignancy of spirit,
Which renders conscience senseless,
And feeds a foul longing
To prey on the defenseless.

Be, henceforth, guarded by the aegis
Of unwavering diligence,
And the resolute assurance
Of determined vigilance.

The Sentinel employs mysteries
We might wish more souls had solved—
Such as empathy, compassion
And the courage to get involved.

In the determined moral struggle
To make the present less unsure
Translated to the action of
A future kept secure.

Last edited by Chaos128 10-23-2010 at 04:22:02 PM

10-24-2010 at 12:25:37 AM

Submitting Kenneth Wooden Birthday Contest

Victimized

Cold steel rests heavy in my hand—
Gleaming blackness of death’s lure looming―
I spin its cylinder first left, then right and hear each tick―
Distinctive in its sound, as the drum whirls round―
My heart pounds in a moment’s glooming
Drawing back the hammer I pull its trigger— click.

Five more chances, perhaps— only one
Till I breathe my last and exhale―
‘Tis mortality’s liberation―
Your words positioned me at this precipice
Balancing on one foot― I teeter.
Calmness pervades my essence
Even now, I hear your dreadful words
And your laughter edges me closer―
Death’s door doth not linger anymore―
I perceive its expanses plainly beckoning me
A voice whispers, “Come closer.”

As we passed in life’s hallways you were always
Pointing, scorning me and vocally berating―
Others gathered and joined your taunting
I am corralled because I am dissimilar―
I am taller; shorter, smarter, Buddhist or I am gay―
It matters not to you for your hatefulness
Drives me here to this ledge― whence I cannot retreat.

Click—
Four more times, one I hope—
I pray this is the one that releases me from you.
I do not want to live, “Mother forgive me—
I tried; I really did. I am an utter failure.”
I press the barrel harder to the my temple
Willing this moment will be my forever
And I will not have to endure this one second more.

Click―
Three more, perhaps only one
Father, I did not know you―
You left when I was four
But forgive me nonetheless.

I release my grasp, am I losing my will?
I wonder if it will hurt.
What will my brother assume?
Forgive me brother for I love you
But you could not protect me, no one could—
Not you or my teachers, though I told you my awful pain.

I do not remember the moment or feeling a bullet enter my brain
It did hurt; I remember that. Then an angel came and pulled me back.
I recalled looking down to where my head lay shattered, pouring blood in a steamy mist.
“Where am I going?” I plead. “My dear child― we are going home.”

©2010, Olan L. Smith

10-24-2010 at 02:37:33 AM

Bravo WordSlinger/WordMastersmile - Yes what wonderful voices on OP!!!cheese

10-24-2010 at 11:42:40 PM

Courage Can Take Many Forms

Heroes can be found every day.
Education is their shield,
and the solid sword of justice
has been forged by those
willing to face depravity,
and call it to account.

These advocates have the unenviable task
of facing suffering every day
and finding new ways
to exploit evil’s modus operandi.
This calling requires a certain nobility of spirit,
it’s main intent being to
preserve every child’s right to innocence.
Their innocence supplies us
with the priceless gift of hope.

And to allow evil to hide among us
for fear of whispering its name,
is to further the cause of the enemy.
We must lock arms
and shout from the hilltops,
our voices joined as one,
that we will not allow
our precious children to be victims,
that we stand for them,
and we are many and strong.

~Simone Augustus

10-25-2010 at 12:11:41 AM

With Heartfelt Thanks to all the Wonderful Gifted Poets of originalpoetry for your outstanding contributions; your poetic voices will make a world of difference!!!

John E. and Madelynn will be announcing the winners; The Woodens will contact me by the 27Th with their winning selections; I'm sure they would contend, you're all winners!

Peace, Love and Light,
Kanicki:
cheese:LOLsmile

10-25-2010 at 12:26:21 AM

Whispered Screams

Not a poet by any means
the opportunity of life gleans
provides us all as it seems...

From cradle to grave it redeems
joys, sorrow, the in betweens
triumphs, defeats, chasing dreams
different stages changing themes...

But to flow in one clear stream
innocence interrupted lured schemes
a predator robs self-esteem...

Silence, life's not peaches and cream
Better do what the monster deems
Clinging to life apart at the seams
Looking up at the ceiling beams

Tender flesh violated was so demeaned
To stay alive through life's extremes
All but left are haunting screams

Call upon the great supreme...
How to be forever clean...
to regain stolen childhood gleam...
Poetry defies Whispered Screams

All that's Left are Whispered Screams.....

10-25-2010 at 12:30:11 AM

The poem "Whispered Screams" I wrote for Child Abuse Prevention Aware Month in April 2010. I wanted to post it to contribute to the forum on this subject matter; it is not a contest entry. Janice Markowitz

10-25-2010 at 08:11:25 AM

"a broken heart"

voices whisper
a small heart
listens

darkness and shadows
sunlight covers
over a grey cloud
dreaming
wishes

minutes fall
slowly
time lifts open
the rainbow box

light and love
uncover
beautiful doves

a broken heart ... cries ...

written by: Luna Marie
Friday, October 22, 2010, 9:12 a.m.
©2010 All Rights Reserved

10-25-2010 at 08:16:22 AM

"Drifting to Sleep"

I'm living here
living in fear

Sleep is my death
death is my dream

Take me out of this misery --

Walk me through
the flowered path of petals

The path in my mind
where there is no pain
no one to hurt me anymore

Protect me
with a shield of metal

Guard me
for I am near sleep

Drifting to sleep --

Falling to my death ...

written by: Luna Marie
©2009 All Rights Reserved

10-25-2010 at 10:20:32 PM

Great entries! Good luck to all!

StandingBear zipper

10-25-2010 at 11:25:57 PM

Bravo - StandingBear! This forum is a work of art - Heart and Soul - when you're heart in it; the sky the limit; the poets who enter this contest went above and beyond...reaching into the depths of their creative hearts and souls!

A Big Thank You to All - You're all winners for entering!!!

Good Luck to All The Earth Angels!!!

Peace, Love and Light
Kanickiwinkgrin

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.