Original Poetry Forums

Poem Critiques

10-23-2009 at 02:44:47 PM

Re: Poem Critiques

thanks for your honesty Gogant... I will try a "lighter" poem for you wink Dark, Seems to be my speciallty though. Thanks.. All the best

-Marion-

10-23-2009 at 02:51:24 PM

You're most welcome indeed, Marion. Please read my, A Summer Lad, and you will smile and feel warm, and then, perhaps, I will see your poetry of the "lighter" side................g

grin

10-23-2009 at 06:06:20 PM

Thanks RHPeat for the honest review, I will most surely keep my metaphors!

10-23-2009 at 09:01:28 PM

Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionYost

thanks for your honesty Gogant... I will try a "lighter" poem for you wink Dark, Seems to be my speciallty though. Thanks.. All the best

-Marion-

Marion, if you are interested in dark check some of mine. I just spent some time on your page and it seems you have a talent for things of the shadowy persuasion, i enjoyed, though sometimes i wished i was reading more line to line, vs a paragraph. Thats simple as a few 'enter's though. It gives the writing a more inviting look and makes it easier to read. Darkness is def my specialty as well, though i am a very cheerful person on a day to day basis. i believe writing so dark helps me keep it on the page vs in my life. Please, take a look and let me know what you think as well. GOOD WORK

LG vampire

10-25-2009 at 12:22:59 PM

this is one of my older works. any thoughts? thought maybe it would be one that Marion would like

COLD

My breathe clouds the still night air
Ruthless and malicious, but I don't care
Frozen fingers and ice-cold eyes
Hateful and heinous, fury of size
Frost in my hair
Lost in fear
Malevolent, mischievous
Nostalgic from the previous
And I grow cold

My heart turns to crystal
Dead, emotionless still
A crisp coldness blurs my vision
An icy dagger has made its incision
Chilling rain, dances on the ground
Noise of pain, an everlasting sound
Thrashing, throbbing, heart pounds slowly
Dissolute, despicable and so unholy
And I grow cold

Last edited by LGDisturb 10-25-2009 at 12:24:00 PM

10-25-2009 at 01:48:10 PM

LGDisturb, I like "Cold" Good write for Dark poetry.... Awesome. Thanks for the acceptance on the friend request, I look forward to reading more of your work. Keep it up. All the best -Marion-

Think I could learn a lot from your point(s) of view please, feel free to read and give feed back on my other poems, No matter if it's positive or negative.. I'm on here to better myself as a "Poet". Thanks again.

10-26-2009 at 01:59:21 PM

I'm songmanpoet and would like some critiques to my poetry. I have many awards in poetry and some in songwriting, but any help would be appreciated. Sam

10-29-2009 at 05:29:40 PM

i just made this, please can i have reviews

Dangerous but sweet. Can't pay attention, but I'm all ears. I love my life, I can't stand it. My outside are hidden within, my insides are out. The life that I had died long ago. The sweet darkness that envelopes me, and makes me feel warm. I want to feel the water all around me. That's where i want to end. In the only place that I like the feel of liquids on my skin. Where it doesn't make my skin crawl, as it slims down my arm. The gauze and tape doesn't work, as it builds up my fear, what will my friends say if they saw my crimson tears. Would they even care, or would they just say "OH Reyselia my dear, you should have told. Your suffering would've been short. You body wouldn't have been torn, scars wouldn't cover your body. Your mind wouldn't be shattered pieces, you wouldn't fear the light. For only darkness can save you." I say "I told you the stories, You've seen the scars. But you ignored them cause my smile was to large, if you'd paid attention you'd have seen it falter. For that is why this will be the last thing you read. for the next time i see you, you won't see me, I'll have an unmarked grave.You'll think I'm somewhere far away, and you'll hear me cry into the night, though you still won't seem to care. For I will no longer have a reason to care either.

10-31-2009 at 07:26:52 PM

fearless words

I fear no words that I’ve spoken aloud
Demons or Angels that spring from my lips
Sounds of truth have now been somberly vowed
Written in perfected poetic scripts
My words ring true as if honesty’s bell
Blazing or frozen they echo from tongue
A vision of Our Father bathing in Hell
Forgotten promises I live among
I fear no words that I’ve spoken aloud
Demons fight Angels for their right to speak
I speak my words until covered with shroud
Never forgetting each writing’s unique

anything guys?
LG vampire

11-12-2009 at 09:04:57 PM

I would like to hear from you if you can help me improve this poem. I would appreciate your critics. This is a poem dedicated to all of us.

POETRY

I belong to a new Society
Where many poets are gathered
Some well known, some amateurs
Different views, one heart …POETRY

In the air flows the inspiration
Going around blossoming fields
There is Beauty, Effect and Power
Romance, Tragedy, Satire … POETRY

Our endeavor, sometimes the stylist
From time to time maybe the forms,
But what is always the stimulation
To keep alive deep, touching …POETRY

I can recall the ancient thinkers
While I pace all the way through
Novel Society who found a union
A state of mind and love …POETRY

Listen this concert , in soul and body
In sublime render given our hearts
Salute the applause to our Society
Where we belong … POETRY

smirk Looking forward...

11-16-2009 at 10:08:37 AM

"Different views, one heart...POETRY"

Love this. The idea behind it all is brilliant. Once i got past my need to rhyme, it flowed very nicely and the way "POETRY" is emphasized makes it powerful to read. Your timing, flow, vocabulary and metaphors were all used very well, i enjoyed this very much. one of the best i have had the pleasure to read. VERY well done, Secretdreams. Color me impressed. kudos

LG vampire

11-23-2009 at 12:28:32 PM

This is a, typical for me, small poem written with rich imagery and I welcome any critique of it.

The red wet apples
resting in a yellow bowl
on the window sill
glisten as with fever, in
heated pitch of midday sun

11-23-2009 at 12:46:15 PM

Another I request critique of. Thank you.

Reaper

The farmer starts, he does not speak
his reaper clears the ground
along the rows and mounds of earth
and cuts with silent sound
The strands of gold are thrown aside
cast into the wind
He moves into another row and
Cuts the quiet again.

11-23-2009 at 12:54:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo

This is a, typical for me, small poem written with rich imagery and I welcome any critique of it.

The red wet apples
resting in a yellow bowl
on the window sill

Ah Polo, you use the Dr. William Carlos Williams method. (smile) That rich imagery that shifts consciousness so well as the reader is placed within the images. Nice little poem; short and to the point. Strong in that sense. The closure is a bit weak in the use of a metaphorical device that is a weak form in my opinion. (of) to make a metaphor is a waste. Even another preposition that offers some depth would be stronger. Something like beyond, inside or beneath would be a stronger preposition. A verb would be great, like awakens, illuminates, enlivens, or renews would offer the poem more depth in its closure. But even a reversal making the midday sun a possessive of the heated pitch would be stronger in my opinion, as (midday sun's heated pitch). Just some thoughts on the closing. Always liked this poem. It reminds me, in a strange way, of Williams red wheelbarrow poem. So direct with those images that you are there within the experience of the metaphor. You make the metaphor a snapshot in time much the way the haiku does: freezing the moment for eternity. A poet friend// RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 11-23-2009 at 12:57:17 PM

11-23-2009 at 01:08:11 PM

Quote:

Another I request critique of. Thank you.

Reaper

The farmer starts, he does not speak
his reaper clears the ground
along the rows and mounds of earth
and cuts with silent sound
The strands of gold are thrown aside
cast into the wind
He moves into another row and
Cuts the quiet again.

Polo again your snapshot of time is wonderful and deeply felt. the farmer becomes part of the landscape of plowed fields as a gold dust is pronounced upon winds. A terrific poem. But again that dreaded (of) metaphor weakens part of the opening. Here I think a compound word would be stronger (mounded-earth). But any of the other methods given to change the metaphor in your other poem about the apples would also work here as well. Keep up the good writing my friend; I love how you have put the reader into the fields with the farmer. This is so grand// A poet friend// RH Peat

11-23-2009 at 05:35:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

The red wet apples
resting in a yellow bowl
on the window sill

Ah Polo, you use the Dr. William Carlos Williams method. (smile) That rich imagery that shifts consciousness so well as the reader is placed within the images. Nice little poem; short and to the point. Strong in that sense. The closure is a bit weak in the use of a metaphorical device that is a weak form in my opinion. (of) to make a metaphor is a waste. Even another preposition that offers some depth would be stronger. Something like beyond, inside or beneath would be a stronger preposition. A verb would be great, like awakens, illuminates, enlivens, or renews would offer the poem more depth in its closure. But even a reversal making the midday sun a possessive of the heated pitch would be stronger in my opinion, as (midday sun's heated pitch). Just some thoughts on the closing. Always liked this poem. It reminds me, in a strange way, of Williams red wheelbarrow poem. So direct with those images that you are there within the experience of the metaphor. You make the metaphor a snapshot in time much the way the haiku does: freezing the moment for eternity. A poet friend// RH Peat

RH Peat, I cannot tell you how much I value your comments. Surprisingly I had only read Williams once nearly 20 years ago but his spare use of words that are carefully crafted as so to be weighted with images never left me. Even my first poem written as a child was spare but weighted.

I knew the Sun
would be too bright
I stood up anyway
and fell into it

I am going to consider your suggestions and see how they might work.
Thank you so much,
Paolo

Last edited by Paolo 11-24-2009 at 10:03:58 AM

11-23-2009 at 05:42:13 PM

Hardware Garden

Have you bruised geranium--
smelled its blood---
The red flower explodes
atop the spike---
too beautiful to care
that it smells metallic
like shiny skin---
a new bucket,
galvanized wears---

11-25-2009 at 12:36:42 AM

PLEASE READ ~PSYCHO~

THANK YOU FOR READING... Please ask question if you have any, I am not here to argue or have a fight...

Thanks and Peace be with you grin

11-25-2009 at 01:06:43 PM

Quote:

Hardware Garden

smelled its blood---
The red flower explodes
atop the spike---
too beautiful to care
that it smells metallic
like shiny skin---
a new bucket,
galvanized wears---

Polo; I think you want (has your bruised geranium smelled it's blood?) or (Have you, bruised geranium, smelled your blood?). Either would work depending on your intent there. the way the line is constructed it's a bit mis-leading. In L3 you could replace the word (the) with (your) since you have already personified the geranium. Just continue referring to it in the second person within the poem. (you, your, yours) etc. That would make L6 (your) matallic smell like shiny skin—a new bucket—with galvanized wear. Nice poem as usual. your metaphor sings out in its own special truth. The passion of the bloom is revealed. a poet friend// RH peat

Last edited by RHPeat 11-25-2009 at 01:08:59 PM

11-26-2009 at 04:56:31 AM

Re: Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:

Hardware Garden

smelled its blood---
The red flower explodes
atop the spike---
too beautiful to care
that it smells metallic
like shiny skin---
a new bucket,
galvanized wears---

Polo; I think you want (has your bruised geranium smelled it's blood?) or (Have you, bruised geranium, smelled your blood?). Either would work depending on your intent there. the way the line is constructed it's a bit mis-leading. In L3 you could replace the word (the) with (your) since you have already personified the geranium. Just continue referring to it in the second person within the poem. (you, your, yours) etc. That would make L6 (your) matallic smell like shiny skin—a new bucket—with galvanized wear. Nice poem as usual. your metaphor sings out in its own special truth. The passion of the bloom is revealed. a poet friend// RH peat

It is of humor to me that the omission, or addition, of a word can change the way something reads. The first line should have read;
Have you bruised the geranium--

It was my hope to present this as if I were saying this to you while I show you the geranium and sharing with you even the odd smell. A smell I happen to enjoy.
Thank you again for your guidance,
Paolo

11-26-2009 at 12:52:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:

Hardware Garden

smelled its blood---
The red flower explodes
atop the spike---
too beautiful to care
that it smells metallic
like shiny skin---
a new bucket,
galvanized wears---

It is of humor to me that the omission, or addition, of a word can change the way something reads. The first line should have read;
Have you bruised the geranium--

It was my hope to present this as if I were saying this to you while I show you the geranium and sharing with you even the odd smell. A smell I happen to enjoy.
Thank you again for your guidance,
Paolo

Many times a critique will lead us to unexpected places; it can cause us to change things in a very different manner due to what is said. Having those unattached eyes look at our work can be valuable in many strange ways. The (article) (the) can make a big difference in the reading. It does read better with the word in the line. I always think that a critique is to make you rethink your work and its depth not to really make suggested changes. You prove me out once again. Oh, by the way, thanx for the comments on my poem they made me look into the depth a bit more. I'm still thinking over what you had to say. Later Polo. A poet friend// RH Peat.

11-30-2009 at 06:48:36 PM

I come from a farming family and this work holds a great deal of interest for those who work the ground, like Wendell Berry.

Blade Music

The file draws
it’s teeth
along the
hardened edge,
the plowshare sings
the music
of red clay.
A stone
tuned the
blade
to it’s tone,
then brought
it to the
smith to
see if there
is wish
or choice
in remembering
the cleft
a coulter took
too soon
to lose
it’s voice--

Let me know what you make of it please?

Last edited by Paolo 11-30-2009 at 09:04:47 PM

11-30-2009 at 10:03:23 PM

Quote:

I come from a farming family and this work holds a great deal of interest for those who work the ground, like Wendell Berry.

Blade Music

The file draws
it’s teeth
along the
hardened edge,
the plowshare sings
the music
of red clay.
A stone
tuned the
blade
to it’s tone,
then brought
it to the
smith to
see if there
is wish
or choice
in remembering
the cleft
a coulter took
too soon
to lose
it’s voice--

Paolo
I don't know if I'd change anything much here. I might suggest the plowshare singing its melody into the earth. That this:

the plowshare sings
the music
of red clay.

might read something along the lines of:

the plowshare sings
(its) music
(through or into) red clay.

It makes the compounding of the metaphor forced into both sides of the image. That music belongs to the plowshare and it is becoming more a part of the land by that music being spread into or through the red clay. Of course even a word that related to music might even be better. A musical term would even allow the clay to become a bigger part of the music of the plow. This is a almost nothing. The rest of the poem sings. Concise to the point and very enjoyable to read for the metaphors do their thing and pull the reader into the poem as a whole. Later
a poet friend
RH Peat

11-30-2009 at 11:25:08 PM

Tonight there is no rush.
T'is breezy and the air is cold and crisp
Smell this, Ah! Refreshing!
Goosebumps arise as I
Stare across and into this dark field,
Only to contrast with the sky alight.
All constellations have been shown to
My straining eyes of dark blue;
For they peer into a sky so vast and alive with light.
I have nothing to do, nothing to wake for
In the morning, I only want to lie and wait
For morning dew!
And so... I do!
With nothing but dew and morning light that await me,
I attend this adventurous engagement...
I lie between two palms,
To which the winds provoke a secret conversation.
Both have words that is Nature's secret language,
Undecipherable, though t'is beauty to embrace
their sway and swish of language that amazes.
Close my eyes...
Yes! sound of bliss!
Open my eyes...
Ah! what I have missed!
A sky artfully lit and a quality of wonderment ensues,
As my newly awakened eyes adjust to the light
Of stars that are staring and winking at me!
I gaze upon all of the constellations ablaze in fiery glory;
White fiery light hidden by Nature's natural camouflage.
There is a time of day when the bright light of a star hides these
White fires of distant galaxies a-hidden by another's fury
This one blazing luminary, (The highest point being at noon)
disguises the beauty, which appeals to thine eye,
Of theses thousands of thousands of blinking
Night eyes! The power of nature t'is so divine!
Why? Why? Does this Mother of Nature hide
Her innumerable eyes of white diamonds?
The amazing and powerfully beautiful,
Other side of the coin, Mother Nature!
As I awake, in a dew-soaked meadow, warmth
And yellow light is falling upon me and this verdure;
(Of which my slight body is hidden)
The two palms have quieted their specious and
Covert conversation, and Mother Nature's eyes
Have been disguised, and so returns my
Implacable anger of Nature's unremitting choice
To hide the stars!
The divine and unparalleled beauty of last night has
Inspired a sense of perspicacity of what is the Night!
For shame Mother!
Nature Hide Your Dark Side Not!

I'm hoping to have this poem critiqued and am willing to accept any and all constructive criticism. Thank You.

12-03-2009 at 11:38:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinlove

T'is breezy and the air is cold and crisp
Goosebumps arise as I
Stare across and into this dark field,
For they peer into a sky so vast and alive with light.
In the morning, I only want to lie and wait
For morning dew!
And so... I do!
I lie between two palms,
To which the winds provoke a secret conversation.
Undecipherable, though t'is beauty to embrace
Close my eyes...
Yes! sound of bliss!
Open my eyes...
Ah! what I have missed!
A sky artfully lit and a quality of wonderment ensues,
Of stars that are staring and winking at me!
I gaze upon all of the constellations ablaze in fiery glory;
This one blazing luminary, (The highest point being at noon)
disguises the beauty, which appeals to thine eye,
Night eyes! The power of nature t'is so divine!
Why? Why? Does this Mother of Nature hide
The amazing and powerfully beautiful,
And yellow light is falling upon me and this verdure;
To hide the stars!
For shame Mother!
Nature Hide Your Dark Side Not!

I'm hoping to have this poem critiqued and am willing to accept any and all constructive criticism. Thank You.

Wolf, I really enjoy this poem. Though below I ma some suggestions. The words in (here) are things I fe shod be mostly deleted; they mostly are words like "and" and others that steps us away from an experience and with their elimination the narritive goes immediately to the object or action.
Next while I enjoy the use of old English words like Tis or thine, today it appears to many to be out of date and resulting in a bit of a corniness. I don't hold to this despite others.
In brackets i.e. { } you will find a suggestion of the use of a different words.
I was and am still guilty of adding 'ands" in my writing and after I get the wold written I take time to see if the and steps the reader back from what I have written.

Now for the content of the poem. I once found myself sneaking out of the house and laying on a picnic table that sat in a lush field looking up at the stars feeling much as the poem had for me. Using the universe as a metaphor of a women for a universe is ingenious and made it more important to me. The details were certainly important to the voice of the poem and your carefully crafted work helped to take me along with.
Very good work.
A poet friend,
Paolo

(T'is) it breezy and the air, cold and crisp
Goosebumps (a) rise (as) I
Stare across (and) into this dark field,
(For) they peer into a sky so vast and alive with light.
In the morning; I only want to lie and wait
For morning dew!
(And) So... I do!
I lie between two palms,
(To which the )winds provoke a secret conversation.
Undecipherable, though (t'is ) its beauty to embrace
Close my eyes...
Yes! sound of bliss!
Open my eyes...
Ah! what I have missed!
A sky artfully lit (and) a quality of wonderment ensues,
Of stars that are staring (and) winking at me!
I gaze upon all of the constellations{, }ablaze in fiery glory;
This one blazing luminary{; }The highest point being at noon
disguises the beauty, which appeals to (thine) {your}eye{s},
Night eyes! The power of nature (t'is) so divine!
Why? Why? Does this Mother of Nature hide{?}
The amazing (and)powerfully beautiful,
(And) yellow light is falling upon me and this verdure;
To hide the stars!
For shame Mother!
Nature Hide Your Dark Side Not

Last edited by Paolo 12-03-2009 at 11:38:50 AM

Poetry is what is lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.