Original Poetry Forums

Poem Critiques

12-03-2009 at 01:20:59 PM

Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinlove

I'm hoping to have this poem critiqued and am willing to accept any and all constructive criticism. Thank You.

Critique 4 Wolfinlove

This is just a suggestion:
Learn the cut the redundancies and other extra words out of your writing. If you introduce a concept it doesn’t need to be repeat unless for a specific purpose. Most of the time, it’s not needed at all. Be direct and to the point with your language. Make clear concise images. in the poem structure (X) means to cut/ (word) means words or word added to your text.

Tonight there is no rush.
(It’s) breezy; the air is cold and crisp
-=-archaic use of language.
(the) Smell (is) Refreshing!
-=- make the language direct and to the point. You also had a shift in person, like an aside within the poem. Which works against your contextual flow. It would need an introduction which you don’t have. I really don’t think speaking to the reader directly in needed within this poem. It more descriptive in nature.

Goosebumps arise. (X)
(I) Stare across (X) this dark field,
(X) to contrast (X) sky (X).
-=- I’m not sure how a (sky) (alights). So I suggest cutting the word, or make you intent more obvious for the use of the word.

(the) constellations (are) shown to
-=-shift in verb tense/ you can’t see all the constellations at once. Some are on the other side of the planet. (have been) is past tense, when you have been speaking in present tense.

My straining eyes of (dark blue);
-=- (dark blue) is a misplaced modifier. Does it refer to the night sky or to you eyes? If it is the eyes (dark blue eyes) if it is the sky (in the dark blue)

For they peer into a sky so vast and alive with light.
-=- (sky) is redundant. We know you are looking into the sky.
(I look into the vast, alive with light.) Direct language will move the reader to the point in question.

I have nothing (X), nothing to wake for.
In the morning, I (X) want to lie and wait
For morning dew!
-=- the word (only) isn’t needed in this line. You actually want to do two things (lie & wait). It is not an either or situation.

And so... I do! (cut the line)
-=- you have already placed the reader in your desires in the line above. This becomes redundant in the sense that restates the same thing as far as the context of the poem is concerned.

With nothing but dew and morning light that await me,
-=- this again is redundant. It is restating the same thing.

(As the dew falls)
-=- you need to state what the engagement is before the next line. This is a shift in the poem that is coming way to early in the structure of the poem. It moves the reader from what was expected to what is happening.

I attend (the) adventurous engagement...
I lie between two palms,
(where) winds provoke a secret conversation.
(their) words (are) Nature's secret language,
(an) Undecipherable (X) beauty to embrace
(they) sway and swish (in) language that amazes.
(I) Close my eyes...(X) (to this) sound of bliss!
(I) Open my eyes...what I have missed(?)
A sky (artfully) lit and a (quality of) wonderment ensues,
-=- This line begins to tell instead of show. You only need to show the art of light and the quality of wonderment. You don’t have to tell the reader it exists. (a sky lit with wonder ensues). This places the reader into the action of the scene instead of removing them at a distance to think about what is happening. It shows the reader your experience rather than telling them what to think. Watch out for adverbs and descriptive clauses that act like adjectives. They can overload a line or even a complete poem.

As my (newly) (awakened) eyes adjust to the light
-=- again the adverb misleads and tells rather than shows (my new eyes awaken and adjust to the light) is direct language with the exact concept. (new eyes awaken) It cuts the compound adjectives and makes (awaken) a verb which creates action in he line.

(from the) stars that are staring and winking at me!
-=- The active verb forms are stronger and maintain a reader in the action of the poem ( from the stars stare and wink at me) you cut the unneeded words and create two active verbs.

I gaze upon (X) the constellations (ablaze in fiery) glory;
-=- (ablaze in fiery) is redundant. Both speak of a flaming glory. You only need one or the other in the line.

White fiery light hidden by Nature's natural camouflage.
-=- here with the reiteration of fire again is more redundant wording. If you do reiterate; it should be for a specific reason that changes the intent of the reuse of the word through the metaphoric intent constructed in contextual flow within the complete poem. That’s the reason for reiteration in poetry other than musical devices like anaphora and refrains which also work reiterate within the contextual flow. I would suggest you try to combine these 2 lines into a single concept for the intent of your poem. This is a grand concept that needs to be in the poem but the redundant and reiteration are working against you intent of concept. It also makes the lines boring in presentation. I see this as your real tuning point in the poem. This is a shift of revelation. Much of what follows is telling the reader what to think rather than showing the reader what to see. The poem begins to tell you what you should feel rather than letting you actually feel the experience through the description of the event. The poem meanders from the intent of lying down looking up into the sky. The poem gets lost in itself while trying to explain itself. When it should only present what is necessary for the reader to have an epiphany. Allowing the reader to come to their own conclusion about the night sky. A poem gets weak when it has to be explained to the reader; it far better to allow the reader to figure things out for themselves.

(There is a time of day when the bright light of a star hides these
White fires of distant galaxies a-hidden by another's fury
This one blazing luminary, (The highest point being at noon)
disguises the beauty, which appeals to thine eye,
Of theses thousands of thousands of blinking
Night eyes! The power of nature t'is so divine!
Why? Why? Does this Mother of Nature hide
Her innumerable eyes of white diamonds?
The amazing and powerfully beautiful,
Other side of the coin, Mother Nature!
As I awake, in a dew-soaked meadow, warmth
And yellow light is falling upon me and this verdure;
(Of which my slight body is hidden)
The two palms have quieted their specious and
Covert conversation, and Mother Nature's eyes
Have been disguised, and so returns my
Implacable anger of Nature's unremitting choice
To hide the stars!
The divine and unparalleled beauty of last night has
Inspired a sense of perspicacity of what is the Night!
For shame Mother!
Nature Hide Your Dark Side Not!

-=- I see this line as the real closure on the piece. It is a powerful statement that connects to both the opening and the turning point in the poem: (Inspired a sense of perspicacity of what is the Night!) It makes a point that is far stronger than the 2 lines that follow it, which I think could be cut. Well wolf, I hope I offered you something to think about. I don’t expect any compliance, agreement or even any real changes. My sole purpose is just to allow you to rethink your intention as it was seen through my eyes at your night sky. I believe that is what a critique is all about. Allowing you, the writer, to see what I (the reader) saw when I looked at what was on the page. Later.
A poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 12-03-2009 at 01:29:17 PM

12-04-2009 at 09:32:45 PM

Across the Road

The orange, daisy
blooms, lean onto
the road from
the green leaf
bank filled
with grasshopper
sounds

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by Paolo 12-04-2009 at 09:33:11 PM

12-04-2009 at 10:39:26 PM

Re: Across the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo

The orange, daisy
blooms, lean onto
the road from
the green leaf
bank filled
with grasshopper
sounds

Any thoughts on this?

Paolo look good, Maybe an (s) on (leans). I love "grasshopper sounds" Wow! That's a good one. Wished I'd said that. smile

12-05-2009 at 09:15:27 AM

Re: Re: Across the Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

The orange, daisy
blooms, leans onto
the road from
the green leaf
bank filled
with grasshopper
sounds

Any thoughts on this?

Paolo look good, Maybe an (s) on (leans). I love "grasshopper sounds" Wow! That's a good one. Wished I'd said that. smile

You are right the (s) on lean is better. Thank you so much for your comments.

12-05-2009 at 01:44:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Across the Road

Quote:

Across The Road

The orange, daisy
blooms, leans onto
the road from
the green leaf
bank filled
with grasshopper
sounds

Any thoughts on this?

Paolo
Upon rereading it again: I'm wondering is it the (green-leafed bank) which is your intention or is it (Leans onto the road from the green leaf— bank filled with grasshopper sounds.) or maybe you want both issues. If it's the first intent: I'd say add the (ed) to (leaf) and hyphenate the two descriptive words to make them one word to modify (bank). If its the latter; I might suggest a break in the poem before the word (bank). To create more space in that intended separation.

When I first read it. I saw the last three lines as an apostrophe modifying the edge of the road. But now I'm seeing it as an extension of the sound and light on the road. That the grasshoppers and the daisy are the extensions of the use of the road, pathway.

Still the poem has this quality of being on the path of life as a personal awareness of both sound and sight found in that beauty of living. The enlivening of spirit through the course one chooses to make upon the path, roadway, etc. I really like the simplicity and the intent in the poem. It sings like a haiku, in that sense that it captures you into that moment upon the road both seeing and hearing the event of a spiritual presence and a personal awareness.

I still think the phrase "grasshopper sounds" has got to be one of the greatest images I've read in a long while. Like who listens to a grasshopper's sounds. You have made us aware of how important the smallest things are, an what they can offer us each day. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. It is quite beautiful. A grand write. The poem show how the use of a simple image can say so much. Your poem is like writing a novel about awareness connected to the spirit. Yet it is real just a simple and profound metaphor. That’s good writing. Thanxs for sharing. A poet friend// RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 12-05-2009 at 01:59:35 PM

12-07-2009 at 11:40:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Across the Road

Quote:

Across The Road

The orange, daisy
blooms, leans onto
the road from
the green leaf
bank filled
with grasshopper
sounds

Any thoughts on this?

Paolo
Upon rereading it again: I'm wondering is it the (green-leafed bank) which is your intention or is it (Leans onto the road from the green leaf— bank filled with grasshopper sounds.) or maybe you want both issues. If it's the first intent: I'd say add the (ed) to (leaf) and hyphenate the two descriptive words to make them one word to modify (bank). If its the latter; I might suggest a break in the poem before the word (bank). To create more space in that intended separation.

When I first read it. I saw the last three lines as an apostrophe modifying the edge of the road. But now I'm seeing it as an extension of the sound and light on the road. That the grasshoppers and the daisy are the extensions of the use of the road, pathway.

Still the poem has this quality of being on the path of life as a personal awareness of both sound and sight found in that beauty of living. The enlivening of spirit through the course one chooses to make upon the path, roadway, etc. I really like the simplicity and the intent in the poem. It sings like a haiku, in that sense that it captures you into that moment upon the road both seeing and hearing the event of a spiritual presence and a personal awareness.

I still think the phrase "grasshopper sounds" has got to be one of the greatest images I've read in a long while. Like who listens to a grasshopper's sounds. You have made us aware of how important the smallest things are, an what they can offer us each day. The sum of the parts is greater than the whole. It is quite beautiful. A grand write. The poem show how the use of a simple image can say so much. Your poem is like writing a novel about awareness connected to the spirit. Yet it is real just a simple and profound metaphor. That’s good writing. Thanxs for sharing. A poet friend// RH Peat

I am so happy that you have read this work again. Many read my word and they are lost on them, they typically want more. In my thinking it is just enough. My thinking is also that if the reader fills in the blank spaces then the poem will be more apparent to them.
15 years ago a friend of mine lost a lung to cancer and as I grew up on a farm I offered to work his small farm for the summer. He grew flowers, had a flock of chickens and fields that needed to be cut. I lived in a small house on the property and I was blessed in being able to help my friend, was able to return to the place I grew from, nature and solitude. It was three months of shear joy for me and in my mind, spirit, the images of farm life and things like grasshopper sounds.

You are truly a good friend and mentor.
Paolo

Last edited by Paolo 12-07-2009 at 11:52:28 AM

12-08-2009 at 03:35:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Across the Road

[quote="Paolo"

I am so happy that you have read this work again. Many read my word and they are lost on them, they typically want more. In my thinking it is just enough. My thinking is also that if the reader fills in the blank spaces then the poem will be more apparent to them.
15 years ago a friend of mine lost a lung to cancer and as I grew up on a farm I offered to work his small farm for the summer. He grew flowers, had a flock of chickens and fields that needed to be cut. I lived in a small house on the property and I was blessed in being able to help my friend, was able to return to the place I grew from, nature and solitude. It was three months of shear joy for me and in my mind, spirit, the images of farm life and things like grasshopper sounds.

You are truly a good friend and mentor.
Paolo[/quote]

Paolo

I'm with you there. Many times it's our shorter poems that say more than the longer ones. After all that is the real concept behind the Haiku and the sonnet. Sonnet actually meaning short-song. With the right metaphors volumes can be said in just a few well placed image. And then there isn't a need to explain the poem. A poem that has to explain itself within its text has a big problem. And that problem is the very one you talk about. That poem isn't letting the reader fill in the blanks. The poem that doesn't allow the reader to have their own epiphany is weak in many ways. Many times allowing the reader into the depth of the poem will bring the reader back to the poem to read it again and again. What this does, allowing the reader to fill in the blank, is make the reader part of the poem. That you as the writer allow the reader to become part owner in the poem. If the writer allows the reader to discover their epiphany within the poem it actually makes them a co-writer. This is real communication. It puts a transmitter and a receiver on both ends of the line: a dialog is constructed that conjoins to separate beings. This is good writing. The poem becomes alive in a very unique way; it listens to the reader. The poem becomes alive in the reader as well as the writer.

Your poetic imagery speaks loud and clear to me Paolo. Sometimes it is like looking at a photo it is so real to me. As a reader, I feel it rather than decipher it. As a reader you've allowed me to step into the depth of the poem. I like that as a reader. It allows me to get connected to the poem in my own personal way.

a poet friend
RH Peat

12-09-2009 at 10:17:54 AM

Re: Poem Critiques

Cat Tracks

The blown, white snow
wraps in embrace around
a green plank porch waiting
for the golden cat's prints

12-09-2009 at 01:27:55 PM

Quote:

Cat Tracks

The blown, white snow
wraps in embrace around
a green plank porch waiting
for the golden cat's prints

What a wonderful twist on the thing here. You have the snow stalking the cat. smile Many times it is our illusive actions that cause unforeseen events. Where do we go from here? What a grand poem. Paolo this poem needs nothing. I could contemplate it for hours, days weeks.
a poet friend
RH Peat

12-09-2009 at 10:23:05 PM

RH, Poalo, can you give me anything before i post this? sure would appreciate it! thanks guys!

LG

THE HUNT
You see day and I see night
I’ve got a lust for sin
All is well, all is right
And here I come again
Eyes so black and a heart the same
Dark is when I walk
With my eyes on a lovely dame
She is who I stalk
Wait so close, make no sound
Silently malicious
Tattered clothes, which I found
From victims so delicious
Decades of hunt made me strong
Joy comes in pain
Flesh the same, it’s been so long
Since innocence I’ve slain
vampire vampire

12-10-2009 at 02:34:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGDisturb

RH, Poalo, can you give me anything before i post this? sure would appreciate it! thanks guys!

LG

THE HUNT
I’ve got a lust for sin
And here I come again
Dark is when I walk
She is who I stalk
Silently malicious
Joy comes in pain
vampire vampire

Actually I think the music, form and metaphor are all pretty strong in the poem. The negative presentation might cause some to back away a bit. My biggest question there is can innocence really be slain. If the infinite exists then of course innocence too would be infinite to man. For a part would always be unknown, where innocence would reside. So no matter how much you think you know, you can never know it all, because of the infinite concept. The finite on the other hand is another question, which also leads to the infinite in strange ways. In the sense of cosmology. All you have to do is look at some of the images taken from the Hubble Telescope. No doubt about it; it's a big universe and ever expanding. To think, you know it all, is absurd. And that's where the poem takes me through the Identity within the presentation. It would make more sense in that respect to kill one's self to attempt to escape from innocence because of its bent consciousness on killing anything. For to kill innocence is unobtainable even within the self. So the idea of the poem is not a bad concept for a poem at all: to question what is innocence. For the greater flaw in the concept of killing innocence within the self is beyond reach. For the concept from a spiritual point of view is that we are already immortal. For all spiritual literature (across all fields even including Hindu and Buddhist) states that the soul is immortal and can't be killed at all. It sounds like you have been watching a lot of (criminal mind) of TV. Nonetheless, It's an interesting poem for sure; in that it makes one question what innocence really is.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 12-10-2009 at 02:40:12 PM

12-10-2009 at 06:13:36 PM

Would like some feed-back on my latest poem: "2 Ten AM" — you know, the basic critique: grammar, spelling, punctuation, meter, flow, feeling, message, clarity, access for the reader, creativity, structure—have I missed anything?

Please read: "2 Ten AM" — comment and critique.

Peace and Light,
Dah

12-10-2009 at 06:20:56 PM

Would like some feed-back on my latest poem: "2 Ten AM" — you know, the basic critique: grammar, spelling, punctuation, meter, flow, feeling, message, clarity, access for the reader, creativity, structure—have I missed anything?

Please read: "2 Ten AM" — comment and critique.

Peace and Light,
Dah

Last edited by dahlusion 12-10-2009 at 06:21:32 PM

12-10-2009 at 09:53:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Poem Critiques

Quote:

LG

THE HUNT
I’ve got a lust for sin
And here I come again
Dark is when I walk
She is who I stalk
Silently malicious
Joy comes in pain
vampire vampire

Actually I think the music, form and metaphor are all pretty strong in the poem. The negative presentation might cause some to back away a bit. My biggest question there is can innocence really be slain. If the infinite exists then of course innocence too would be infinite to man. For a part would always be unknown, where innocence would reside. So no matter how much you think you know, you can never know it all, because of the infinite concept. The finite on the other hand is another question, which also leads to the infinite in strange ways. In the sense of cosmology. All you have to do is look at some of the images taken from the Hubble Telescope. No doubt about it; it's a big universe and ever expanding. To think, you know it all, is absurd. And that's where the poem takes me through the Identity within the presentation. It would make more sense in that respect to kill one's self to attempt to escape from innocence because of its bent consciousness on killing anything. For to kill innocence is unobtainable even within the self. So the idea of the poem is not a bad concept for a poem at all: to question what is innocence. For the greater flaw in the concept of killing innocence within the self is beyond reach. For the concept from a spiritual point of view is that we are already immortal. For all spiritual literature (across all fields even including Hindu and Buddhist) states that the soul is immortal and can't be killed at all. It sounds like you have been watching a lot of (criminal mind) of TV. Nonetheless, It's an interesting poem for sure; in that it makes one question what innocence really is.

a poet friend
RH Peat

RH, well thank you for the philosophy indeed! i have a solution:

flesh the same, its been so long
since an innocent i've slain

my idea was not to slay innocence the abstract so you are absolutely correct. thank you much. i will post it (with edit) immediately!

LG vampire

12-11-2009 at 01:13:17 PM

Time wasted

Another year what has life done?
the promise was to get back
what was precious.

Son, daughter, job, hope, love
or a room full of unopened gifts
to choose one that belongs to self
that will bring a memory of what
life has done.

The year has gone one still exist
can the promise be made to bring
back the precious moment of this
kiss, the smell of fragrance, the smell of
of love, the smell of joy did I pick the
right gift.

Did time drift away? knowing that
time was a mistake wasted
time was precious every moment counted,
yet the gift that was opened had
to be wrong. The gift was the one inbetween
yes, the one inbetween that was precious.

the thought was choose the one inbetween
yet, the one choosen was where
time had been wasted.

One still exist so as the
word Happy New Year
come this will be another day
that precious time will not
be wasted away choosing
the wrong gift.

Please help me to read this new poem I wrote to see if the poem is heard and grammar is ok.

wink cheese

Last edited by optimistic 12-11-2009 at 01:14:48 PM

12-13-2009 at 03:10:45 AM

Fall

Recall the fall leaves,
confetti for a cold parade
some fall red, some yellow,
some not at all and wave brown
greetings in a cold wind

What do you think of this one?

12-14-2009 at 06:11:04 PM

Quote:

LG

THE HUNT
I’ve got a lust for sin
And here I come again
Dark is when I walk
She is who I stalk
Silently malicious
Joy comes in pain
vampire vampire

I am working to get this work critiqued now. I am hoping to be done soon.
Paolo

12-15-2009 at 01:30:40 PM

a spin for Paolo

Paolo,

a different spin for your review.

The Stalking

Ponderous and powerful
the grizzly moves its mass
as whole trees yield
to its might,
as its paws swipe
through the thickets,
as its jaws, heavy with teeth
snap and snarl at the wind
that carries your scent
to its dark nostrils –
yet, you walk
in the sprinkling of sunlight
through the forest
where fern and flower
bloom radiantly, while peace
covers you like a heavenly blossom
in a garden of joy.

To dedicate your life to an art form
to live the pain of so many, many years –
then, to let the Lord Almighty take your hand
and deliver you to peace and to joy.

As it is written: “Of making many books there
is no end, and much study wearies the body.”

Busy in their flight
for food for family, the little juncos
dart across the green canopy,
their efforts rewarded
by a brood of nestlings
fragile in their lie, as you
recline upon a knoll
listening to their twitter
watching their flit, and the sun
round and golden, speaks
with warmth in deep sweeps of silence –
yet, the grizzly bristles
across the bush
brutal in its tracks toward
your scent.

It is that there never is a step in your
journey through this life that you were ever
alone or forsaken because the Lord was
protecting you from the wilds of the world.

As it is written: “God is our refuge
and strength, an ever-present help
in trouble. Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way and the mountains
fall into the heart of the sea.”

Approaching ever so closely
the grizzly stood on its hind legs
thrashed about in the brush
disturbing the juncos
which attacked the grizzly’s eyes,
pecked them out in a fury of flurries,
as blood streamed down
the grizzly’s face, as the juncos’ frenzy
blinded the grizzly,
and you stirred, alarmed at the terror
a hand breath away –
yet, the grizzly’s jagged jaws
snapped blindly as it was consumed
by its own darkness
laced with the taste of its own blood.

Although the world wages a ruthless war
against you with fires in torrents of terror,
sing praises to our Mighty God with thanks
and rejoice in His bountiful blessings.

As it is written: “The teaching of the wise
is a fountain of life, turning a man
from the snares of death.”

Not long thereafter,
you shall return
to that knoll in the forest
as the sunlight spreads softness
through the green
as the juncos flit about
still feeding their young
as the land awakens with life and joy –
yet, not too far away the carcass
of the grizzly lies motionless
in its death,
as flies crawl through the hollows
of its eyes, as maggots fill its belly,
and you shall know once again
that the Lord is with you.

As it is written: “Then Samuel said,
‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’”

12-15-2009 at 10:16:33 PM

Quote:

LG

THE HUNT
I’ve got a lust for sin
And here I come again
Dark is when I walk
She is who I stalk
Silently malicious
Joy comes in pain
vampire vampire

I am sorry this took so long, I wanted to do your work the justice of careful thought

I find your work and its style interesting here. This work sings as if in a old Norse voice. While it is my belief that it is your intent that it be dark, it is also my belief that the contrast you begin with, “You see day …I see night” sets the tone. From that statement on we are shown the dark side. Associations that are apparent, “lust/sin” would fail were it not for the use of the statement, “I’ve got a lust for sin”. We then see, “All is well, all is right” then offered, “Here I come again” foreboding some event, yet a warning; “Eyes so black…a heart the same” then “She is who I stalk.” The rest of the work is a warning to those who have joy as the voice intends to turn to pain where ever Joy is found and pronounces that it has slain innocence. I’ve known innocence slain and having known that you might believe that one would not be surprised by that statement, yet having witnessed innocence slain is much different than being shown its death as we are shown here.
The only suggestion I would have for you is that use the word “and” sparingly and it will tighten up the poem nicely. In all I like the darkness of the poem, it is quiet a unique take.

12-17-2009 at 05:53:45 PM

If anyone has any thought to improve, please let me know.
a poet friend
RH Peat

The Flood Within You

This pressure pressed against your heart will take
that part unknown to build a bridge beyond;
unlocked, the gates will widen what was pawned
inside the dark— confined too firm. You’ll make
the levee long and high that’ll come to break
within the flood to hold that wider bond.
And there enclosed by deluge you’ll respond
to place that’s leveled current for your sake.

You’ll listen for the song, and not be sure
that you hear it. You’ll listen deep within
but you won’t feel the wind that blows across
the flooded land. You’ll find a place so pure
it’s painful to endure that dross therein
to note what’s overturned herein that loss.

© RH Peat 12/ 17/ 09 5:55pm
Form Petrarchan Sonnet/ abbaabba cdecde
2 strophes / 14 lines/ written in 2ed person

12-20-2009 at 11:22:02 PM

Re: a spin for Paolo

Below you will find some observations on The Stalking. I feel that this is a finely crafted work. You have woven three threads throughout the body of this work; The terror of a beast much stronger than, more cunning and deliberate than the reader. Even the physical characteristics are frightening. There then is the thread of peace, joy and fragility and strength of purpose. Lastly we see the presence of God working consistently and almost quietly. You have been able to weave in this work a parable of sorts. We are also taught that even as we are bound to books and the work of them that we should not put these efforts before the care of our youth as the Junco worked bravely to care for their youth.
To craft a poem like this is difficult at best. An author runs the risk of losing track of the story or muddling it in the shear weight of it's whole. You stayed clear of purpose and this resulted in a very well done poem.
Paolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dean

Paolo,

a different spin for your review.

The Stalking

Ponderous and powerful
the grizzly moves its mass
as whole trees yield
to its might,
as its paws swipe
through the thickets,
as its jaws, heavy with teeth
snap and snarl at the wind
that carries your scent
to its dark nostrils –
yet, you walk
in the sprinkling of sunlight
through the forest
where fern and flower
bloom radiantly, while peace
covers you like a heavenly blossom
in a garden of joy.

The first section perfectly creates in the readers mind the strength, size, place and prominence of the Grizzly and also the reader is placed in a place of peace, respect and joy shared with the bear. Excellent work.

To dedicate your life to an art form
to live the pain of so many, many years –
then, to let the Lord Almighty take your hand
and deliver you to peace and to joy.

As it is written: “Of making many books there
is no end, and much study wearies the body.” (Ecclesiastes 12:12)

In this section the voice is informing the reader that he has been dedicated to a goodly number of years to his art. We learn that this has been at a cost, this dedication, pain. Yet there appears to be redemption in embracing what is said in Ecclesiastes 12:12, that the pursuit of books and creating them is never ending and that one should be aware of this and remember one’s self to take time for a foray into the gardens of joy such as the first part.

Busy in their flight
for food for family, the little juncos
dart across the green canopy,
their efforts rewarded
by a brood of nestlings
fragile in their lie, as you
recline upon a knoll
listening to their twitter
watching their flit, and the sun
round and golden, speaks
with warmth in deep sweeps of silence –
yet, the grizzly bristles
across the bush
brutal in its tracks toward
your scent.

In this section we see the Junco with its dark eye on the mouths of the brood as the reader is peacefully and observantly watching the Junco caring for, without fatigue, the brood. The reader is taking note of the sun and the quiet of this glen. We are then given a warning that while this beautiful moment can be enjoyed one must also recall that the grizzly is still brutal and occupied with the scent of you.

It is that there never is a step in your
journey through this life that you were ever
alone or forsaken because the Lord was
protecting you from the wilds of the world.

As it is written: “God is our refuge
and strength, an ever-present help
in trouble. Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way and the mountains
fall into the heart of the sea.” (Psalm 46: 1)

We are reminded that though the grizzly still pursues the scent of the reader, we are also shown that we are held in good stead because the grace of God, is ever present with us and that we have no reason to be filled with fear, despite the danger that may be with us.

Approaching ever so closely
the grizzly stood on its hind legs
thrashed about in the brush
disturbing the juncos
which attacked the grizzly’s eyes,
pecked them out in a fury of flurries,
as blood streamed down
the grizzly’s face, as the juncos’ frenzy
blinded the grizzly,
and you stirred, alarmed at the terror
a hand breath away –
yet, the grizzly’s jagged jaws
snapped blindly as it was consumed
by its own darkness
laced with the taste of its own blood.

We are shown the behavior of the bear that can truly be fearful but is not fearful for the bear. Yet, the little Junco in it’s bravery that springs from care for it’s children and while the reader may be alarmed at the situation with the bear. You are close to the anger and fear the bear feels at being routed by such a thing as a Junco. Though we see that the bear is blind by its furry and darkness.

Although the world wages a ruthless war
against you with fires in torrents of terror,
sing praises to our Mighty God with thanks
and rejoice in His bountiful blessings.

As it is written: “The teaching of the wise
is a fountain of life, turning a man
from the snares of death.” (Proverbs 13:14)

We are offered in the above that even in the ruthless war against us not matter the fires and torrents of terror that the singing of praises is wisdom becoming as fountain of life giving safety from danger.

Not long thereafter,
you shall return
to that knoll in the forest
as the sunlight spreads softness
through the green
as the juncos flit about
still feeding their young
as the land awakens with life and joy –
yet, not too far away the carcass
of the grizzly lies motionless
in its death,
as flies crawl through the hollows
of its eyes, as maggots fill its belly,
and you shall know once again
that the Lord is with you.

We are returned to the place where we had begun. Things, mostly, appear the same, there is the warm sun and the dark eyed Juncos are at work feeding their children and joy is abundant…except for he who brought danger and fear to this place, the evil one displaced for the Lord is with us. We are finally offered that we are charged with the care and assisting those who are younger to teach them as this is preferred as one day they maybe as the Junco protecting us as the Lord would desire of us.

As it is written: “Then Samuel said,
‘Speak, for your servant is listening.’” (1st Samuel 3:10)

And Eli, perceiving that it was the voice of God that Samuel heard, instructed him what to say. Though it came as disgrace to Eli, for God’s call to be directed to Samuel, yet he told him how to meet it. Thus the elder should do their utmost to assist and improve the younger that are rising up. Let us never fail to teach those who are coming after us, even such as will soon be preferred before us.

12-28-2009 at 01:19:15 PM

Quote:

a poet friend
RH Peat

The Flood Within You

The Petrarchan is perhaps the greatest conveyance of the emotions surrounding unattainable love. Here we find that something of the heart has been placed under such duress that another element is, unknown, to the reader. This unknown, or desire, has been so constrained that it becomes a bond, a strong, expansive bond that is more like a levee. As we know and he sonnet shows us that levee’s are not without weakness. We men believe in our ability to keep water at bay and often are foolish enough to believe our creations may also be able to keep other things at bay. Yet, water as we see, will find its own level and we are there, “enclosed by deluge”. Knowing that the true course of water or one’s love, might be uncomfortable, it is honest.
In stanza two we are told that the song that one listens for may not be the one wished heard. In our deepest desire to hear what we wish we are left unfulfilled and the “flooded land” offers only that the place we find ourselves is so, “pure” in it’s want that “it’s painful to endure”. In the end it is not without noting that in all our cleverness we are found, “overturned” and at a loss.
In this sonnet we are not told, nor need be told, the object of the this loss, only the unattainable is of importance. Pain is enough to reveal to us that it was a deep affection, an affection that the wind blew easily across a barren landscape where the word amore is so completely absent that it goes unmentioned.
While most in these modern times may not appreciate this kind of work, I do not find myself as part of that population. This is expert and skilled work that conveys very well the sense of the unattainable.
Your friend,
Paolo

12-28-2009 at 02:51:00 PM

Re: Re: Re: Poem Critiques

My dear friend
You are such a skilled reader. You see the depth of the metaphor in such detail; I'm alarmed. Yes it is all about water, that it seeks is own leveling. We attempt sometimes to bridge it or control it with the levee and in the end it will control us. Life itself will have the last word when you're found in the flood. I have always said; "never underestimate the reader" and you are a fine example why not to underestimate them. Thank you kind sir.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Quote:

a poet friend
RH Peat

The Flood Within You

The Petrarchan is perhaps the greatest conveyance of the emotions surrounding unattainable love. Here we find that something of the heart has been placed under such duress that another element is, unknown, to the reader. This unknown, or desire, has been so constrained that it becomes a bond, a strong, expansive bond that is more like a levee. As we know and he sonnet shows us that levee’s are not without weakness. We men believe in our ability to keep water at bay and often are foolish enough to believe our creations may also be able to keep other things at bay. Yet, water as we see, will find its own level and we are there, “enclosed by deluge”. Knowing that the true course of water or one’s love, might be uncomfortable, it is honest.
In stanza two we are told that the song that one listens for may not be the one wished heard. In our deepest desire to hear what we wish we are left unfulfilled and the “flooded land” offers only that the place we find ourselves is so, “pure” in it’s want that “it’s painful to endure”. In the end it is not without noting that in all our cleverness we are found, “overturned” and at a loss.
In this sonnet we are not told, nor need be told, the object of the this loss, only the unattainable is of importance. Pain is enough to reveal to us that it was a deep affection, an affection that the wind blew easily across a barren landscape where the word amore is so completely absent that it goes unmentioned.
While most in these modern times may not appreciate this kind of work, I do not find myself as part of that population. This is expert and skilled work that conveys very well the sense of the unattainable.
Your friend,
Paolo

12-28-2009 at 06:23:13 PM

I am fairly new on this website and I was hoping someone could critique my poem. Thanks, Tiffany

I am a mirror.
I throw back images not realizing the consequences.
With trials of the poison’s vials.
Is beauty so precious to one that someone would have done?
Or personality matters to one that absolutely nothing is done,
And perhaps a person’s heart is won.

12-28-2009 at 08:46:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyk

I am fairly new on this website and I was hoping someone could critique my poem. Thanks, Tiffany

I am a mirror.
I throw back images not realizing the consequences.
And perhaps a person’s heart is won.

Once you set-up the metaphor use it to enlighten and heighten the depth of your intent in the poem. You are a mirror. Make the next line follow with the intent of a mirror.

Your line: I am a mirror.// I throw back images not realizing the consequences.
Example: I am a mirror.// I throw back images not recognizing my (reflections, presentations, impressions, appearance, expressions, persona, looks,
aura, likeness, double, copy, visions, etc.) your choices should be directed to your intent in the poem.

(there is no period needed after this statement because the following line is a prepositional phrase and not a compete sentence. Just let the thought of the line run through into the next line to end with a period.)

(this line is a bit confusing because you haven't mentioned poison vials in the poem before this so the reader is questioning, What poison vials? It is due to the fact that you introduced the vials as a reference of some kind.) Maybe the better preposition would be (from, inside or like poison vials.)

(This question leaves a question in my mind: someone would have done what? In the sense the question appears incomplete. I'm left questioning what the intent in the line is. It's confusing in presentation as a question. ) (is beauty so precious that something should be done?) might be the intent but I'm not sure because I am left still trying to figure out what the "someone" refers to? It is a very confusing line to me. The rhythm is awkward in presentation.

Again the presentation is awkward to me: maybe you mean:
(or is personality of more concern that nothing is done? )

(And perhaps) a person’s heart is won.
In your closing line here (and perhaps) is a bit wishy-washy in the line. Make the direct statement. (a person's heart is won.) If you want to make a believer out of the reader don't make the closing line doubtful. Hold the reader to the intent within the line.

It is a short poem but very complex. I find the language obtrusive in a way that makes the poem more difficult to understand, than it needs to be. The poem would have become stronger in its closure if you had included something about the mirror within the last line. It would have brought more closure on the poem. I'm not sure at all how the vials of poison enter into the poem at all. It seems much has been excluded from the poem that is vital to its understanding. I think that you should try to tie the poison to the mirror in some way that can be used in the following lines to help suggest a connection in some way. Well I hope I gave you something to think about for your rewrite. Good luck. Keep writing.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 12-28-2009 at 08:53:46 PM

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA