Original Poetry Forums

Poem Critiques

01-25-2010 at 06:30:49 PM

RE: RE: Poem Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo

I would value comments on this poem please.

Without Surprise

Rock me beneath
The sod---
In my eternal bed---
Black earth a grand
Ceiling makes—
Clod pillows
For the head—

Let me rest
In concrete sleep
Though my brethren rise—
Affix their golden wings---
Toward heaven,
They surmise.

Choices we have many, but in death we have none. I think its a grand poem. There is no surprise to what birth implied from hour one of our lives. Where there is life there is danger as a great Russian writer once said. I don't know that you need the last line however. It does change the tone of the whole poem. Like they don't deserve their golden wings. But as far as I see it everyone deserves their wings. But then I believe in Karma rather than sin. Later, a poet friend.
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 01-25-2010 at 06:33:54 PM

01-25-2010 at 07:13:34 PM

RE: RE: RE: Poem Critiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

Without Surprise

Rock me beneath
The sod---
In my eternal bed---
Black earth a grand
Ceiling makes—
Clod pillows
For the head—

Let me rest
In concrete sleep
Though my brethren rise—
Toward heaven,
They surmise.

Choices we have many, but in death we have none. I think its a grand poem. There is no surprise to what birth implied from hour one of our lives. Where there is life there is danger as a great Russian writer once said. I don't know that you need the last line however. It does change the tone of the whole poem. Like they don't deserve their golden wings. But as far as I see it everyone deserves their wings. But then I believe in Karma rather than sin. Later, a poet friend.
RH Peat

I am greatly pleased that the placement of the last line changed the tone of the whole poem I wrote it that it would change the poem. In a way the voice of the poem was being sarcastic in suggesting that all the while there are no golden wings or sleep and the destination that the brethren believe is something they merely "surmise".
I also believe in Karma also and give no credence to the concept of sin. Thank you so much for your kind comments.

01-25-2010 at 07:32:36 PM

RE: RE: RE: RE: Poem Critiques

Quote:

Without Surprise

Rock me beneath
The sod---
In my eternal bed---
Black earth a grand
Ceiling makes—
Clod pillows
For the head—

Let me rest
In concrete sleep
Though my brethren rise—
Toward heaven,
They surmise.

RH Peat

I am greatly pleased that the placement of the last line changed the tone of the whole poem I wrote it that it would change the poem. In a way the voice of the poem was being sarcastic in suggesting that all the while there are no golden wings or sleep and the destination that the brethren believe is something they merely "surmise".
I also believe in Karma also and give no credence to the concept of sin. Thank you so much for your kind comments.

The line is somewhat equivocal in that sense if wings is referring to spirit leaving the body or not. Karma doesn't necessary deny spirit or that the shell of the body wasn't part of an identity for a period of time that has translated into something new. Heavens there are many, a mansion of many rooms. Even the Hopi have 9 heavens, while the Buddhists & Hindus have many. So it leaves the line more equivocal than definite. But that too works in the sense that the reader is left questioning the intent in the line. Metaphorical in quite another way. Interesting concept Palo. Please have a look at my "The Poem: By The Poet"

A poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 01-25-2010 at 07:35:09 PM

01-25-2010 at 08:52:36 PM

RE: Poem Critiques

I'm not quite sure if you're using poetry to explain how you feel because I used to do it and thank you Mr. Polo for being my angel to inform me I should do it again.
Regarding your poem, on the first stanza or paragraph, you are saying you're confused in your life, the second stanza states that although your family are together helping you by giving ideas and some are stupid but they presume.
Forgive me if I have it wrong or I think weird but what are you confuse about? Sorrydowner

01-27-2010 at 03:09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline51712

I'm not quite sure if you're using poetry to explain how you feel because I used to do it and thank you Mr. Polo for being my angel to inform me I should do it again.
Regarding your poem, on the first stanza or paragraph, you are saying you're confused in your life, the second stanza states that although your family are together helping you by giving ideas and some are stupid but they presume.
Forgive me if I have it wrong or I think weird but what are you confuse about? Sorrydowner

My thought was that many see only one way, one path, when I can see many paths and embrace others finding the way as they can make it happen. While it may seem I am confused, I feel I am more aware than confused, I am more inclusive than exclusive. I celebrate our sameness's and embrace our differences.

01-27-2010 at 03:31:31 PM

RE: RE: RE: Poem Critiques

Quote:

My thought was that many see only one way, one path, when I can see many paths and embrace others finding the way as they can make it happen. While it may seem I am confused, I feel I am more aware than confused, I am more inclusive than exclusive. I celebrate our sameness's and embrace our differences.

Enjoy all the differences they are what cause us to find what we have in common. While dwelling on similarities only allows us to see the differences between us. Besides the world would be a very dull place if everyone were the same or had the same ideas. Creation is meant to be explored by spirit. That's why there are so many differences within the world. Whatever elevates the spirit is positive. Ways and choice are many: as your poem suggests, but in death there is no choice; it was inferred by birth right: only translation exists at death, or as some might put it salvation; freedom form the body. What was it the little monk said; "Die daily". For he knew this liberation is obtainable every moment. It is a grand poem Palo. That last line wares on you after awhile. It's great the way it separates the cream from the milk: the honey from the bee.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 01-27-2010 at 03:39:11 PM

01-27-2010 at 04:23:02 PM

I'm very happy we're the same and I understand our differences Mr. Paolo...

You know, I agree with many people are just driving in one way lane. I myself drives in a two way lane.

Sometimes, lane is rocky

Up and down , left and right

But

People are mostly drive up...

Even try their best to reach the best version

But they go down

When they fall

that's it for them

BUT SOMETIMES

PEOPLE JUMPS INTO CONCLUSION, RIGHT AWAY...kiss

01-27-2010 at 04:32:06 PM

I'm gonna throw my name into the 'critique me' pile.

thanks.

01-27-2010 at 04:36:07 PM

I FEEL BAD
DIDN'T KNOW
YOU WERE DOWN
FORGIVE ME IS MY QUESTION...

Sorrykissdowner

Last edited by Jacqueline51712 02-01-2010 at 06:52:27 PM

01-30-2010 at 08:06:52 PM

Water in the Hill

What do you make of this poem?

Water In the Hill

I cannot sleep tonight
instead
I stroll out where the
fields sparkle
in moonlight
on new fallen snow---
the spirit of my breath
spreads into the night—
under my feet the
crunch of green bones
sing me on, I then
come onto a most
remarkable sight---
water seeping from the hill
had folded it's self in as many
silvery, shimmering fishes
rising and falling with
contour of earth----having
Obeyed the path
gravity selected for
the twisting, turbulent
turns and torrents rolled
down hill—
Until it came
to a hollowed out
place flat
frozen and still-------

Last edited by Paolo 01-30-2010 at 08:14:29 PM

01-30-2010 at 10:57:59 PM

I don't know shoot! Snow lol...

Last edited by Jacqueline51712 02-01-2010 at 06:43:22 PM

01-31-2010 at 12:05:04 AM

Yeah,

Dunno why you'd take that like that but whatever floats your boat I guess. I'll rephrase then and say that I'll throw my work into the critique pile so that it in and of itself can be looked at and critiqued.

There we go, that should be more than specific enough.

Last edited by Cirion5667 01-31-2010 at 12:09:02 AM

01-31-2010 at 12:20:14 AM

RE: RE: Water in the Hill

Very many thanks I have for you dear Friend RHPeat. Your suggestions are what I needed and will be used in re-writing this poem. i beg your forgiveness for this but my English does not have the understanding of this word, "enjamb".
Thank you again for your help. Your Friend.
Paolo

Quote:

Water In the Hill

Water in the Hill
What do I think? I like the intent here a lot William, I mean Palo. I might make some suggestions about line structure however for better endings metaphors, and flow: flow meaning rhythm. These four lines I might make read.

I cannot sleep tonight
Instead I stroll
out where
the fields sparkle
-=- I think the endings would have more impact on a reader.

in moonlight
on new fallen snow---
the spirit of my breath
spreads into the night—
-=- These four lines are an angel sent from heaven.

under my feet the
crunch of green bones
sing me on, I then (come)
-=- Here I’d change the end of the line to read (then I come). The next two lines I’d reword into one line.

to a remarkable sight---
-=- I really don’t think the word (Most) does anything for the intent in the pome. The word to focus on is (remarkable). It makes us tune up as readers. You want the reader to grasp it and then find out what is remarkable. So I suggest cutting the modifier. Move to the beat, so to speak.

water seeping from the hill
had folded it's self in as many
-=-here you have a misspelling (itself) is one word. It means exactly the same thing. No biggy.

(Silver), shimmering fishes
-=- here I’d cut the (y) off the word (silvery) to empower the line a bit. It makes the image read smoother and picks up on the accents in the language to make it more rhythmic sounding: 2 trochees and an iamb.

rise and fall with
-=- here I’d activate the verbs by cutting the (ing)s There are also far too many of them in a row which starts to look like H.S.

earth’s contour----having
-=- here I’d let the earth really own the contours by making a possessive out of the image. A stronger metaphor and ties the image together tighter.

Obeyed the path
gravity selected for
the (twists,) turbulent
turns and torrents rolled
down hill—
-=- in these lines I’d try to make the verb-nouns all alike by cutting the (ing) on the verb-noun (twisting) this would make them all parallel in intent as an antithesis metaphor which turns on the last line of the metaphor “down Hill” For all these things rolled down hill in the way that the poem is worded. This form of metaphor is used a lot in Chinese poetry. It’s usually 2 things instead of 3. But then knowing you. You like to do things in a big way. ☺

Until it came (to)
(X)a hollowed out
-=- Here I think I’d move the to up a line to play on the word with some word play. Suggesting to wake up. “Until it came to” but the line does still enjamb into the next line to read with proper intent as well. It’s kind of a pun metaphor when you break a line this. And I think it stays with the intent of your poem as well. The remarkable thing has awoken within the viewer.

Place, flat,
Frozen, and still-------
-=- in these last lines I’d insert the commas. The fist comma however could be a dash in between “place—flat,/ frozen, and still” It’s a great poem Palo. I like it a lot. Great images as usual. You have a camera in your voice connected to your brain. Thanx for sending us the picture, snapshot of the remarkable dream. Dr. William Calos Williams lives. Reborn in Palo. ☺ Picking up where he left off on his last visit. Later, have a good evening.
A poet friend
RH Peat

01-31-2010 at 12:27:20 AM

RE: Words From A Woman Named Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonesword

I would appreciate all the feed back I can get. Thanks

A 'Plant' can be equated to many 'Situations' in life
When dealing with complexity, sometimes we grow quickly.....
Sometimes not.............
We can live indoors or pretend while living out
Or both simultaneously, I have no doubt
The bottom line is....
If love for'Either' in or out becomes displaced,
Love can feasibly, not necessarily easily, be replaced
Simply by pulling up the roots
And re-planting

This is a grand poem and it doesn't need any help at all as far as I'm concerned. Great metaphor. It might be a bit telling in the beginning of the opening, but the turning point and closure are right on.

a poet friend
RH Peat

01-31-2010 at 12:44:50 AM

RE: RE: RE: Water in the Hill

Quote:

Very many thanks I have for you dear Friend RHPeat. Your suggestions are what I needed and will be used in re-writing this poem. i beg your forgiveness for this but my English does not have the understanding of this word, "enjamb".
Thank you again for your help. Your Friend.
Paolo

Palo enjambment is when the line is forced into the following line. It sometimes or many times empowers the word at the head of the following line rather than end-stop a line. It also causes the reader to be pulled forward into the coming text and speed the contextual flow of the rhythm at that point where the enjambment occurs while still maintaining the pace of the language. It does many other things as well, but that is pretty much the basic stuff. It moves the reader forward in the poem to catch the flow of the meaning. It uses content to pull the reader ahead; It can soften the end of the lines as well. You do it naturally sometimes, by the way. But knowing about it helps control the reader more. You can enjamb stanzas or lines. It makes no difference. I use it a lot. Along with a caesura it can be quite interesting what it does to the contextual flow yet maintain the rhythm of the language. Poetically: It's like traveling the same road but speeding up in the straight aways and slowing down for the bumps, turns and hazards. I hope this helps you some. But I'm sure you can find a basic definition on the internet in a poetry dictionary. Go for it. But realize they are not going to give you the whole ball of wax. Using it knowingly will teach you a lot. You can actually here it. You can use it in metric verse and it is like changing the pace or cadence the way free verse does. It's a very interesting device.
a poet friend
RH Peat

01-31-2010 at 01:15:57 AM

I hope this helps...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=%5C%5C%5C%22enjamb%5C%5C%5C%22&form=BBOPHP&pc=BBON

try it, I tried it, GOOD LUCK... You know to highlight the address and press enter when u open up a window, yes? Sorrydowner

01-31-2010 at 02:04:42 AM

Forgive me, I've slow thinking process...

A plant is a child
It can grow in or pretend to be in while being out...

I say it should try to be balance because what you learn outside cannot be learned inside and vice versa.

I lived in my ex-fiancee and he's a bad boy image type so he's always out. He met me, we're together out until I had a tragic car accident. I became a home person.

When he's at home, he can do great things but he didn't know he can because he have not had a chance to try it. He's great outside and we found out that he's great inside aswell. But because of the Love his love for me, is so strong he wants me to be happy, he let me go by him being in the Philippines. It is hard for me at first and difficult for him because he's not that type of man where he would just let go .
According to him I'm like a crystal but he wants me to be happy so he can be happy too.

So I think it trying to be balance because if it's uneven, the outcome is odd. I hope you get where I'm coming from... thanks wink

01-31-2010 at 12:11:46 PM

Pain

Cause you've broken my wings and I fall to the ground, try to help me up but there's no one around.
I writhe when I'm taken by this eternal pain, you've stunted my healing, never will fly again.
So I drag on the ground, until finally I crawl, but you've crippled my legs never will walk at all.
You told me you needed me, made me feel good inside, now you said you've forgotten, now my heart it has died.

So I finally give up, don't know what to say, can't live on my own, just can't live everyday.
I see you with him, it's all in my face, my time that I spent on you it's all just a waste.
Don't know how to kick this, a habit like the need to smoke. Only difference is, this habits a joke.
You don't feel the same way, one day you did don't know why, the feelings that you had for me you forgot, said goodbye.

My touch you took from me, without living glee, all because you got tired from the asking of me.
Stuck in this circle, that makes me ask why. Why you would sleep with me and not say goodbye.
Why do you sleep with someone when you say you're tired, of them asking you for sex, when you know you're desired.
I don't understand it, but I really do care, why you make my love for you, present so unfair.

I wish I was him, that boy the young J, then you'd be so in love, would give your life away.
I wouldn't abuse it, hold close to my heart, when we're together and when we're apart.
But it doesn't matter how hard I cry, you'll never take this love, never take my.
My heart is my own, til the end of time, my heart you will not take and I'll never be fine.

I wish I was them, Scott, Derek, Chan, L and J just to be in your heart if for only a day.
To feel the heat of your love, the rays of your sun, if only for a day, to feel like your one.
Four years of talking, four months of pain, the time that I live here, nothing to gain.
Noting will matter when it comes to the end, no matter how I fall apart, only a friend.
More I want but this love I just can't save it, in the end I'm nothing more than not good enough David.

01-31-2010 at 05:39:29 PM

Hello, first of all...

I'm not Virgin Mary
Felt bad when I saw soulmate
Sex is nothing, when not married
Men don't give respect

Other's treat you a hoar
Want a man, not after sex
Want a man will give space
Would help me be at my best-version

A girl sleeps with other men
Does not have respect for herself
Don't force yourself
who doesn't want you

Just work to better you
Ask, "Am I ready for a family"
"Can I give what they need"
It can help you cope with it.

God always have something perfect for everypne
Make sure you're ready
Everything in your life
For this perfect one who will come...

GOODLUCK! kiss

01-31-2010 at 09:10:56 PM

ALSO... Sorry I'm thinking of what else I can help you with so here...

Jacqueline51712

Poem Commentary
I was reading Mother Angelica's paragraph from a letter I received a month or 2 ago from Eternal Word Television Network [EWTN] Catholic channel, and I thought to turn it into a poem for everyone so here it is, hope it helps... PEACE...
WORDS OF WISDOM 2

"We are here to love
God commanded us to love
All our strength, heart and mind
And Soul and its neighbor

It's difficult,
But the burden of the cross is light
compared to the cross of uncontrolled emotions
Anger, insistance on one's own opinion
The Frustration of trying to change others
Rather than being changed oneself
Resentment, regrets and guilt

TO ACCEPTING THE PRESENT MOMENT LIKE JESUS DID IS CERTAINLY A LIGHTER BURDEN

-Mother Angelica

THANK YOU RHPEAT!

red facekisskisskisssick

Last edited by Jacqueline51712 02-01-2010 at 07:18:56 PM

02-01-2010 at 01:51:09 AM

Quote:

Jacqueline

Poem Commentary

WORDS OF WISDOM 2

God commanded us to love

All our strength and heart

Mind and Soul

The way God loves us

-=--=- When you quote something; you really need to keep the order of the words, or you change the meaning behind the intent. There is a spiritual reason why the words are said in a specific order. "with all your heart; with all your soul; with all your mind; with all your strength. The order of these words are important; they are the progression of spiritual awareness: spiritual consciousness. First the heart: you must love yourself before loving anything or anyone else, then the soul: this allows the Holy Spirit to enter in, then the mind, for the mind needs to be controlled by spirit and not body and lastly strength. The strength of persistence, persistence in divine love: love without any strings attached. Love for the world at large. None of these things can be accomplished until the preceding consciousness is acquired. The order is vital to personal revelation. So if you use a quote in what you write; keep it correct or don't use it at all. Otherwise it kills the strength of the original language used in that poetry that has been so carefully translated over so many years by many scholars.

A poet friend
RH Peat
:

02-01-2010 at 05:59:12 AM

RH Peat, You are a very good critic, will you please comment in my poem

Where goes my Muse....

I look around everywhere
And there is no inspiration
Where is my muse hiding?
…Maybe my heart is plenty
…Maybe my soul is empty
…Maybe my life is changing
Where goes my muse without me?

Come and believe in my feelings
Help me express my desires
Open my world to creation
discover new motivation
Let my voice …stay alive
Let my voice…stay alive

Show me the road …sing my song
put the picture in my soul
Go with me to enchanted places
Those where my love show discretion
But also where I find pleasure
Show me the road…find the treasure

Look for me, my muse… for me…
Life is unfilled without you

I appreciate if you comment smile

02-01-2010 at 02:17:35 PM

"Look for me, my muse… for me…

Life is unfilled without you"
My muse is Master [God]

Look for me, Master... for me...
The first line is going in
The second line is going out

I thought everything before the final line is how I'm lost
Then at the final line is lost without you
True, its worth thinking, thank you

confused downer

02-01-2010 at 06:00:11 PM

Quote:

But my poet friend, I wrote it as how it is printed although it's in straight line like this...

We are commandd to love God with all our strength, heart, mind and soul and our neighbor in the same way God loves us-..."

Did I make a mistake?

Thank you for pointing it out and telling me the right way, I realy appreciate it. Thank you
kisskisskiss

In any poem with a list, the order of the list is important. You might want to think about that in future poems. The list can ascend or descend depending on what you are trying to show in the overall presentation of the poem. It's a vital tool to writing better poetry. Not just any list but an ordered list that moves the reader toward the deeper intent as the poem's contextual language moves forward. Scripture by the way is poetry. All scripture not just the Bible. Actually the long line verse-structure in "Leaves of Grass" by Walt Whitman are patterned after the verses in the Bible, anaphora and all.

a poet friend
RH Peat

Last edited by RHPeat 02-01-2010 at 06:02:25 PM

02-01-2010 at 09:12:03 PM

Quote:

"Look for me, my muse… for me…

Life is unfilled without you"
My muse is Master [God]

Look for me, Master... for me...
The first line is going in
The second line is going out

I thought everything before the final line is how I'm lost
Then at the final line is lost without you
True, its worth thinking, thank you

confused downer
Thank yousmile

A poem begins as a lump in the throat, a sense of wrong, a homesickness, a lovesickness. It finds the thought and the thought finds the words.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.