Original Poetry Forums

Street poets VS. Academic poets

07-09-2010 at 12:05:08 AM

RE: Street poets VS. Academic poets

As should no one on OP. I think of this site as more than a respository for poetry. It is a classroom and laboratory. Those bleeding hearts who think all should be coddled are simply wrong! When I smell poop, I hold my nose. I don't inhale deeply and pretend it's roses. Come on, we're grown-ups. We must learn to take criticism, even condemnation, if it is warranted. And believe me it is warranted. And yes, even I, who gets wrongly accused of having an inflated ego, drop little turds along the way. Now, that's all I'm going to say. I shall now retire from the field of battle to let the real fighters fight.

07-09-2010 at 07:24:29 PM
  • ThoughtCaster
  • ThoughtCaster

In all do respect to all posts, great responses to all.
Some of you are missing the point to a degree.
We are merging into a new era, a new breed of a poet, and poetry.

You can place the street poet in academics, but you can't take the street out of the poet.
Vise a versa
You can place the academic poet in the street, but you can't take the academics out of the poet.

There are poets on this site strictly street.
There are poets on this site strictly academic.
They stick together, just like a few of these posts.

The idea is to merge, and appreciate each other,
so the questionnaire was to see where we, and the voices stand;

And to take hurdles from the youth.

I researched comments on all of the poets pages that have posted here.
I find my research interesting as to whom commented on who's poems, and pages
So some rope here has slack, tighten it up.

Last edited by ThoughtCaster 07-09-2010 at 08:15:24 PM

07-10-2010 at 12:44:29 AM

RE: RE: Street poets VS. Academic poets

I was pretty sure you had some kind of agenda when the question was posed to us.
Um! I guess we need you to tell us what it is you'd be expecting from the members at OP. We definately need a little substantiation. Did you want us to take up slack in our personal outlooks - our goals, skill developement? I'm a compliant enough fellow but I'd need to have some reason for changing, as well as where to change to; (the from and the to if you will.)
Please explain.

***********************************************************************************.
There are poets on this site strictly street.
There are poets on this site strictly academic.
They stick together, just like a few of these posts.

The idea is to merge, and appreciate each other,
so the questionnaire was to see where we, and the voices stand;

And to take hurdles from the youth.

I researched comments on all of the poets pages that have posted here.
I find my research interesting as to whom commented on who's poems, and pages
So some rope here has slack, tighten it up. [/quote]big surprisebig surprisegrrrohh

07-10-2010 at 12:51:13 AM

People are going to gravitate toward what they feel comfortable with, be it architecture, art or poetry. You can't force Picasso on a Norman Rockwell fan. There will always be sub-groups of every endeavor....and there really isn't anything wrong with that. That's life.

07-10-2010 at 01:02:41 AM

Well, now that everyone seems to be in agreement with me, and since we've all kissed and made up, I would be the last one to say, "There, I was right all along!" Instead, let me suggest merely and most humbly, let's now drop this nonsense, and get about our business of penning poems that uplift the human spirit, tickle the shit (oooppps, sorry, I meant to say funny bone), and inspire a better tomorrow in us all!

07-10-2010 at 01:12:15 AM

You, sir? Wrongly accused of having an inflated ego?? I shudder at the thought!cool grin

07-10-2010 at 01:27:04 AM

Poetry nearly died.

The Street picked it up,

inspired by the Academic.

We are in flux smile

Long live poetry and namaste my poetry friends smile Love this topic, and love all your thoughtful posts. Beautiful work.

And agreed, Balladeer, excremental values on any work are simply ... unproductive ... and frankly mean spirited. I barely have time to appreciate the great work of so many on this site ... critiques take time and thought, as you all well know and generously give ... I find it easy to move on when the work is not to my taste.

Interesting research project, ThoughtCaster ... I've often wished I could see a Venn diagram of the interactions on this site ... and I suspect it would offer proof for your theory, not that we intentionally, consciously "vs." ... but that birds of a feather flock together ... the battle lines are probably not as clearly defined as one "vs." ... but rather we are many tribes, all drawn together under a flag of poetry ... and our tribes are defined by affiliations that are subtle. Street/Academic is the tip of the iceburg, lol.

Fascinating.

Thank you for the thread!

-dancinghawk-

07-10-2010 at 03:47:01 AM

I have just posted a new poem addressing this "ISSUE" called Chance Encounters. While it may not be last word in this seemingly endless squabble, it should! I invite your read and your comments! But please, please, please, don't call it shit, even if you think it is!

07-10-2010 at 08:30:09 AM
  • ThoughtCaster
  • ThoughtCaster

DancingHawk, what a great post, so true, and inspiring.
Neville you are amazing, and everyone else your posts, are
ammunition to fire at the future of poetry.
Maybe a rally would help to see what other poets here think?

Here is a way of tightening the rope, there's no hurry,
just a an experiment if you can find the time, and poets.
The idea is from the TV Show- so you think you can dance.
I find this show amazing, an in awe at how hard they work.
A mixture of poets are chosen for the experiment, ranging from unknown street poets to winners world wide or OP. All poets have to work their way through a rigorous audition process. By the end of this process, 10 poets (depending on that season's format) of various styles are chosen to compete here on the thread. Over the course the poets, are assigned different poetic styles and partners (collaborations) each week to test their versatility.
The teachers in the forum, have great assignments, and the teachers here are great mentors. I am sure the poets can learn to teach as well.
This is just an idea when we have time maybe in the winter, so
we all have plenty of time to scout a poet out.

07-12-2010 at 10:51:29 AM

How can there be one without the other? Iron sharpens Iron. For street poets to leave the trash cans they must adhere to rules set forth to reach sell-able print, which is the same for academic poets though academic poets have taken the beating via English training. Now this doesn't make either one better, rather defines a definite path to be presentable to culture. So whom is better? Well, it is the one who reaches you without ever touching.

Hehehe would somebody throw another book in the can I'm getting cold!

07-12-2010 at 11:54:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccslim

How can there be one without the other? Iron sharpens Iron. For street poets to leave the trash cans they must adhere to rules set forth to reach sell-able print, which is the same for academic poets though academic poets have taken the beating via English training. Now this doesn't make either one better, rather defines a definite path to be presentable to culture. So whom is better? Well, it is the one who reaches you without ever touching.

Hehehe would somebody throw another book in the can I'm getting cold!

In a way I agree with you Slim. But I still haven't figured out what being academic is suppose to be. Is that someone that learned how to write a sentence in grammar school and graduated? Isn't that the academic basics?

a poet friend
RH Peat

07-12-2010 at 05:17:01 PM

Yes sir! I didn't make the rules even though I did buck and fart the same as a wild horse penned for the first time, I was advised to reach without expressing direction to names.. I know silly as it seems, but the advice has power within itself! Academics is important for those that seek self improvement and those will find that just because they get published by self or otherwise does not mean they will get read. Power in voice by reaching those that WANT to hear will get read and noticed. What is left for the novice poet or for the learned is what I reach for, for most see what they want to see and nothing else. Poetic justice goes down forever as what is seen! hehehe Poetograghy! Spelling excluded due to the fire blinding me! Psst ow my eyes!

07-13-2010 at 02:27:18 AM

Dear Caster! Unfortunately, before posting by Wordslinger I have had not encountered any classification as street poets and academic poets. To me it sounds that this classification may be done on the basis of formal education. Those who did not pass through the course of college/university level education may be placed in Class 1 and those who had in Class 2. As I have not read much about the history of English and American poets, it is better to quote some examples from the East.

Street Poets: I agree with you that they are better critics of life around and add that they analyse environment through love and vision..Their message is sound and universal. Examples:

Baba Bulley Shah
Shah Hussain,
Rehman Baba
Sachal Sarmast
Baba Fareed Shakar Ganj and many others

Academic Poets: I agree that they are concept oriented and write in a more systematic way because they are well equpped with the academic tools. Their poetry better qualifies on the basis of set rules. Examples:

Dr. M. Iqbal (PhD)
Faiz Ahmad Faiz (Master)
NM Rashad (Master)
Ahmad Faraz (Master) and many others

As far I am concerned , i have an equal appreciation for both

07-13-2010 at 02:28:02 AM

Dear Caster! Unfortunately, before posting by Wordslinger I have had not encountered any classification as street poets and academic poets. To me it sounds that this classification may be done on the basis of formal education. Those who did not pass through the course of college/university level education may be placed in Class 1 and those who had in Class 2. As I have not read much about the history of English and American poets, it is better to quote some examples from the East.

Street Poets: I agree with you that they are better critics of life around and add that they analyse environment through love and vision..Their message is sound and universal. Examples:

Baba Bulley Shah
Shah Hussain,
Rehman Baba
Sachal Sarmast
Baba Fareed Shakar Ganj and many others

Academic Poets: I agree that they are concept oriented and write in a more systematic way because they are well equpped with the academic tools. Their poetry better qualifies on the basis of set rules. Examples:

Dr. M. Iqbal (PhD)
Faiz Ahmad Faiz (Master)
NM Rashad (Master)
Ahmad Faraz (Master) and many others

As far I am concerned , i have an equal appreciation for both

07-13-2010 at 10:26:58 PM

Hello All, Stryx wrote a poem that is a thought or two added, lol. enjoy-

WS
A Thunk -or-Two
http://www.originalpoetry.com/a-thunk-or-two

07-13-2010 at 10:41:00 PM

Why are so many people bashing the street poet? Street poets are not always uneducated, this is a bad stereo type! I consider myself a street poet more than an acedemic one and I have a lot of college to my name, like two AA degrees and a BS. I also studyied much of the classic styles of poetry and prose, many of the greats. I just choose to write using my own style that fits me best, why is that so wrong? I think many academic poet's of their time were probably considered street poets by thier generation. Personally, I think a good 21 st century poet is a little of both. It does help to have a good sense of structure and proper grammer to better relate your message or the emotion of the write, but I don't feel all poetry has to have big words and use allegory to be considered good. My own thoughts are if the reader has to spend more time tying to figure out what the meaning of this word or that word, than more often than not, they will miss the true meaning of the poem all together. I know not everyone will agree with me, we each have our own opinions but there are poets that spend so much time trying to make thier poems look good that they loose the true meaning and power of true poetry. Just my rambling thoughts. I personally love reading and commenting on a good riddle, or a poem written in allegory, using a lot of hidden meaning, for me it is a challenge and I love a challenge! I enjoy nothing more than just to read a poem over and over till the little light buld goes off in my head, I am kind of the house of commentary, lol. But truthfully for the average reader much gets lost in th translation, just my thoughts. Take it as you will... Purity of the soul, journey well!!! Angel aka The Poem Buster, lol cool smile

Last edited by angel33614 07-13-2010 at 10:44:11 PM

07-14-2010 at 11:06:55 AM

Trash can bards + Stale english = 21st century poets wOOt I might have a chance at that hehehe if I could spit the stale taste out!

Last edited by ccslim 07-14-2010 at 11:08:59 AM

07-18-2010 at 05:49:30 PM

I only read the question, "So which is better?" And that is all I needed to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer

So which is better...street or academic? I'm not sure there is a difference. The poets that we look upon now might well have been the street poets of their day. It was a different world back then. On the other hand, the street poets of today may well have expanded the knowledge and training they got by studying the academic poets. They are all different parts of the same animal. Just as an actor can be dramatic, a bit player, or a comedian. so can poets be any style they choose. They are all poets. I shy away from questions like, "Which poetry is better?" because it all depends on the person. A person simply needs to find the form that suits him/her the best and write on! Whichever style one employs to get his message across in the best possible way is the right form for him. I wrote a poem some time ago to illustrate this point...

"My Lord", the Queen said, "by your leave I've written down a rhyme
And would be proud for you to comment on, should you have time.
I've woven quite a tapestry of images that sing
A message that I feel would be befitting for a king."

"A rhyme?", the King said. "Lady, there is nothing I hate worse
Than silly little couplets forced together into verse!
Pure prose alone is strong enough to make a message clear
And not this childish ditty that you dare to offer here."

Just then the castle doors sprung wide and, entering from the night,
A young man rushed, quite out of breath with features full of fright.
"My King!", he cried. "The armies of our foes are on the march!
They're pillaging the villages with saber, lance and torch."

"Our legions need men and supplies. Please do not hesitate
Or, by this time tomorrow, they'll be at the castle gate!"
The King reacted quickly. Reinforcements were dispatched
And, by the eve, the tide had turned...the danger met and matched.

That evening in the royal bed, the Queen quite sweetly, said
"That boy who warned us of the fight-was his hair blond...or red?"
"What's this?", replied the King. "What nonsense do I hear from you?"
"That boy", she said, "who came today. Were his eyes brown...or blue?"

"Was his body big and strong...or was it rather small?
Were his features pale or sunburned? Did you find him short or tall?
Did you spy rings on his fingers or a chain around his neck?
When he moved, did he bend down a bit or did he stand erect?"

"My Queen, you've truly gone insane to ask such foolish things.
I care not if he had ORANGE eyes...or if he wore TEN rings!
I care not how he walked...care not what color horse he mounted!
The boy held no signifigance - the message was what counted!"

"My lord", the Queen said, "by your leave, I've written down a rhyme
And would be proud for you to comment on, should you have time......"
The King smiled. In his eye, a humorous twinkle could be seen.
He said, "I am a lucky man to have such a wonderous Queen."

07-18-2010 at 06:00:10 PM

I have an idea for you. Don't worry about how you are as a poet. But DO deliberate your technique! You will never be the same as the others, if you do this ONE thing.

Do you want to know?

I'm tempted to hide it, and commercialize the answer, but I will give you the break... (and the thousands of others who care).

Write a letter. Yes, that is the secret to poem writing and poetry. Write a letter. YOU sit down. Garner a pen, a paper, and a free mind.

When all is calm.

... calm it as you will...

Take your mind, and put it to paper... as if you are writing a letter to some person, place or thing.

Then... THEN!!! (I love being dramatic)... Pull from that page ... pull and shape... a poem.

There is the secret.

God Bless.

Gary, aka The Compusician, EinStud, BL8ant or any other name I can concoct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginga

My oh my this subject crosses my mind frequently. What genre or type of poet am I? It seems I do not have an entirely traditional style, yet that is my first love from elementary and high school. As far as street poetry, I admire the fast melodic beat, the undulating delivery of the voice, the often dramatic theatrical delivery and all is spoken is memorized notread off a paper like I read. I respect those street poets cause they have it all over me as far as guts and ego. Then there's the songwriter's style which I certainly can relate to and have written but the nature poet seems to suit me well, is a genre I aspire to and am successful with. I guess I fall in between traditional and singer/songwriter. My poetic prowess for street poetry, rap, and dark poetry has not been tapped yet. And as far as the collegiate abstraxct poetry, as much as I admire the poems I read in my "Poetry" monthly subscription (hard copy), they are often a bit too avant gard for my taste, yet noble and extremely cerebral just the same. I am truly a fan of Thoreau, Dickinson, Poe, Whitman, Frost, Rumi, Cullen Bryant.But when I yearn for abstract I trurn to Plath and Hughes. Often a novel written in creative writing can inspire me or a few haiku. Or I sit doen and read fellow 20-21st century poets chapbooks and all of you I have read thus far here on OP. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of the poetry genre melting pot. Cheers and Happy 4th!! cheese
ginga
cool cheese

07-18-2010 at 06:03:31 PM

We need you in the government on the Gulf Oil issue... Poetry? I'm not so sure....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalassi

I find the questions you pose to be simply bullshit. Street poets? Academic poets?
Bullshit!! Poetry cannot be divided into camps as warring factions pitted against each other. Now there's good poetry and, well, the not so good. I find your position demeaning to all poets, regardless of what you consider yourself!

07-18-2010 at 06:07:59 PM

Please. Don't recheck. Spend your time on the letter you just wrote, and turn it to poetry. The World needs it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer

Interesting....

There are a variety of things that get my blood pressure rising....the current oil spill, for example. Add to that the fact that over 25,000 children die of hunger every day in the world, the rising level of poverty, the victims of floods, earthquakes and hurricanes, walking through the Humane Society to see thousands of animals looking at one with shiny eyes that say "please love me and take me home", knowing many of them will be put to death, seeing films of poachers in Africa slaughtering elephants for their tusks, reading about all of the injustices committed in the world and the genocide conducted in third world countries.... all of these things create a sadness and anger in me that makes me want to scream out and hit something. For some reason, though, a question about poetry on a tiny poetry site that is not even a speck in the cyberspace universe, has not achieved that importance which would cause me to scream, rant, accuse,curse and throw a fit . Maybe I should recheck my priorities??gulp

07-18-2010 at 06:10:34 PM

Money is the equalizer. Who makes more? Street poets or Academic poets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelynn

I think this is a valid topic. I do. Not because Im taking sides on the matter- but because this question has been raised throughout writing history where poetry, and music- are concerned. Without this question 'free verse' wouldnt exist.
I also believe to comment 'the poem is either good or bad'- is ridiculous, without addressing this topic.

Whether the piece is good or bad- depends on the reader- their 'opinion', and that would be where it stands on this topic as well- I have a friend who can't stand early american poetry, but loves all the contempory stuff- I cant say he's wrong! I dont get it, but this is how he determines art.
I am an uneducated poet. Am I still a poet- I think so, because I express my spirit through writing-does everyone agree, probably not.. but there is definately more to writing then.. it's either 'good or bad'.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I believe this hold true with poetry as well.
-ps- I do want to add (in my opinion) if street poets, grew academically in the genre they love- they can only get better at there skills. We all have room to grow and learn in this art. To me both sttreet and academic, are equal.. but I got a soft spot for the educated pieces-
just me..

smiles, Maddismile

07-18-2010 at 06:13:18 PM

RE: RE: THE FREEDOM OF POETRY IS ETERNAL.

OMG! You have my respect, just from your rantings of your personal view. I love it!

YES! Let's EXPRESS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

The Act To Express One’s Self

To write anything and post it or put it in print is a political statement. Poetry therefore is political. To have the internal need to express your personal views is political; it is a courageous personal act. And to uplift that personal statement to a form as an art-form is a grand expression of life; which means everything needs to be talked about. Poetry is limitless in this sense. For every conscious person can reach the agreement to disagree for the benefit of the whole. That we can all share our differences openly without the fear of threat of assault or battery. In this sense poetry has always been inclusive and not exclusive no matter where it has been written, even under great suppression.

The right to write and post what you want is taken for granite in many places; it’s a literary explosion that goes un-questioned. While in other places within the world it is taken at great risk. Many have lost their political right to write what they feel by being planted in the ground. They have not lost their rights to make literally statements. What they have lost is their right physically by being permanently silenced. So let us all agree to disagree in that freedom to express all such statements openly, so we can hear all the voices sing their songs openly. That’s what poetry is all about. And that is why there is a need to express those views about poetry for the benefit of everyone on the planet.

A poet friend
RH Peat

Let Them Sing Their Songs

Let me hear the nightingale's dark song
once more, just before the edge of dawn.
Let me hear the raven and the stellar jay
rattle their curses in the live-oaks at noon.
I love to listen to the crows in the cornfield
and the magpies high in the Walnut trees.

Let the woodpeckers tap me out a rhythm
that sends me shuffling on the cobble stones
to dance beneath their bright winged hours.
Let the quail pierce the air like an ice-pick;
Let me hear the lies of the mocking bird!
I shiver in the golden tones of wild canaries.

My sight falls into dreams when the whippoorwill
sings its melancholy heart out within the dusk
I listen for the great horned owl's ghostly
too-whoo-it-hoot in the deep moonless night
as wind-shivered twigs undress the stars.
I pause to feel their songs deep in my bones.

===================================
RH Peat 3/20/2009

07-18-2010 at 06:15:51 PM

Keep on keepin' on (how poetic)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo

Not wanting to offend anyone, I offer the following, all in good fun:

I find I must agree with Richard
This debate topic is for the birds
Why pit two camps against each other
In a battle of many words

Although, if I were forced to choose
A side in the war on words
I’d call myself a lyric-street poet
That hangs around with nerds

More of an engineering mindset
Read Poe’s short stories once, for fun
But I wasn’t graded on it
No A- when I was done

I don’t know what iambic means
Nor do I really care
Pentameter, tetrameter
They don’t matter, so there!

I’ve never studied the classics
Shakespeare, Frost, nor Kipling
Upon the road less traveled
I found the journey somewhat crippling

“Can’t we all just get along?”
As Rodney King once asked it
Don’t get your panties in a bunch
And run around all spastic

So I’ll leave you with a thought
For all my poetic sisters and brothers
Write for the pleasure of writing
But share it for the pleasure of others
-Londo

07-18-2010 at 06:18:37 PM

smile what the hell does that mean lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccslim

Trash can bards + Stale english = 21st century poets wOOt I might have a chance at that hehehe if I could spit the stale taste out!

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.