Original Poetry Forums

Street poets VS. Academic poets

11-06-2010 at 02:15:27 PM

RE: RE: Street poets VS. Academic poets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

There is some fine teaching going on here,
and some fine poetry written from The School of Poetry,
I see more and more poets engaged in Street/Acedemics here, lol.
So with the tools that I have so far, and have shared.
I would like to see some great poetic videos, they are a pain in the donkey,
but it's fun, a camera is the trick capturing original photo/shoots etc..
That's the key, I don't have one as of yet, because, I am not an Octopuss, but If I was there would be slinging everywhere, lol.
I think OP is working on a section for OP 3.0 for us.
I shoot them an idea, so give Pac-Man some time.
The codex net stuff is a whole lingo itself, lol
Do you all remember C+ is school, lol, I do and don't, but that is the back bone.
Ok when you or anyone sets up a youtube id, add me so I know.
There are other poets as well on my site that will help, just introduce yourself,
and check out there work.

Enjoy,

WS

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Hey , John, View Mutaburaka's poetic video. I agree with what you are saying about poetic video. I should like to attempt some of my own, but juat now, I haven't the time. I also need to learn about "animo" which seems very dynamic and "vervy."

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-06-2010 at 02:16:01 PM

11-06-2010 at 02:27:09 PM

RE: RE: RE: Street poets VS. Academic poets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaqRasgirl

Originally Posted by Rafiqam

Dear Caster! Unfortunately, before posting by Wordslinger I have had not encountered any classification as street poets and academic poets. To me it sounds that this classification may be done on the basis of formal education. Those who did not pass through the course of college/university level education may be placed in Class 1 and those who had in Class 2. As I have not read much about the history of English and American poets, it is better to quote some examples from the East.

Street Poets: I agree with you that they are better critics of life around and add that they analyse environment through love and vision..Their message is sound and universal. Examples:

Baba Bulley Shah
Shah Hussain,
Rehman Baba
Sachal Sarmast
Baba Fareed Shakar Ganj and many others

Academic Poets: I agree that they are concept oriented and write in a more systematic way because they are well equpped with the academic tools. Their poetry better qualifies on the basis of set rules. Examples:

Dr. M. Iqbal (PhD)
Faiz Ahmad Faiz (Master)
NM Rashad (Master)
Ahmad Faraz (Master) and many others

As far I am concerned , i have an equal appreciation for both

hiya Rafiqam..please don't think me just a dummy, but can you tell me what the title (Master) refers to on the acedemic poets examples you listed. I can understand other titles like PhD but I don't recall ever seeing that title (Master) used...Course I am a poet without all that formal education that has been spoken about in this topic......thanks just curious.....
asharolleyesred face

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Asha, visit my opinion on the futility and frustration of attempting to pigeon-hole poetry into categories. Rest assured that only poets, critics, audiences and readers can be categorized, never poetry.....................LOL

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-06-2010 at 02:27:55 PM

11-06-2010 at 02:31:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinStud

Money is the equalizer. Who makes more? Street poets or Academic poets?

Originally Posted by Madelynn

I think this is a valid topic. I do. Not because Im taking sides on the matter- but because this question has been raised throughout writing history where poetry, and music- are concerned. Without this question 'free verse' wouldnt exist.
I also believe to comment 'the poem is either good or bad'- is ridiculous, without addressing this topic.

Whether the piece is good or bad- depends on the reader- their 'opinion', and that would be where it stands on this topic as well- I have a friend who can't stand early american poetry, but loves all the contempory stuff- I cant say he's wrong! I dont get it, but this is how he determines art.
I am an uneducated poet. Am I still a poet- I think so, because I express my spirit through writing-does everyone agree, probably not.. but there is definately more to writing then.. it's either 'good or bad'.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I believe this hold true with poetry as well.
-ps- I do want to add (in my opinion) if street poets, grew academically in the genre they love- they can only get better at there skills. We all have room to grow and learn in this art. To me both sttreet and academic, are equal.. but I got a soft spot for the educated pieces-
just me..

smiles, Maddismile

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

"Whether the piece is good or bad- depends on the reader- their 'opinion', and that would be where it stands on this topic as well- I have a friend who can't stand early american poetry, but loves all the contempory stuff- I cant say he's wrong! I dont get it, but this is how he determines art."
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

You are preaching the same Gospel on the same pulpit, as myself.........LOL
Allelluiah!

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-07-2010 at 01:49:31 AM

11-07-2010 at 02:21:32 AM

I DEFEND THE RIGHT TO WRITE AS YOU WILL,
But harsh and unjust though it may seem,
Criticism makes poets famous.

**********************************************************************************************************

11-07-2010 at 02:33:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabbalistic

Street poets vs. academic poets? Let me put this little "house of cards" to the test! Here is a piece that I have just crafted and posted. Could any of you please tell me if this is "street", or "academic" poetry?winkwinkwinktongue rolleyetongue rolleyetongue rolleye

A Very Boring Love Story

This is a type of love story
Not just any other love story
A very boring love story
A tedious snoozer of a love story
fleshed out over frozen distance.

So he calls his love who seems to
be so strange, stranger and
strangest on the other side;
He wants to know what's wrong
in this very boring love story.

"I was with someone last night
and had sex but not with you.
I cannot tell you who, but I
was not faithful and partied
with sex, drugs and rock and roll."
She's finally done and he ponders
with hippo like silence that grows
ever more obese; "Tell me,
the person who you were with,
Do you want to be with him?"

A surprise question, the instant
answer; "No, I want to be with you."
His answer; "OK then. Case closed."
On to the next subject as this
bombshell dissipates into
welcome Canadian air.

Oh yes this is a love story
A very boring love story
bereft of drama and devoid of
histrionics like "Why have
you done this to ME?!" as
the daytime audence jeers and
hoots and howls...I told you
this was not just another
love story, but a true, ever
living love story of special,
deep kiddusha...it is time
to wake up!

(Lovingly dedicated to my late Canadian
Princess who, even though was the most
glorious angel that God had ever created,
was definitely NOT a saint, and that's
just fine by me! I miss her more than
words can ever hope to express.)

KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT!
rolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesLOLLOLLOLLOLtongue winktongue winktongue winktongue winkgringringringringringrin

Weep not for the dead,
Since the dead cannot weep with you.

11-07-2010 at 02:33:14 AM

Quote:

Street poets vs. academic poets? Let me put this little "house of cards" to the test! Here is a piece that I have just crafted and posted. Could any of you please tell me if this is "street", or "academic" poetry?winkwinkwinktongue rolleyetongue rolleyetongue rolleye

A Very Boring Love Story

This is a type of love story
Not just any other love story
A very boring love story
A tedious snoozer of a love story
fleshed out over frozen distance.

So he calls his love who seems to
be so strange, stranger and
strangest on the other side;
He wants to know what's wrong
in this very boring love story.

"I was with someone last night
and had sex but not with you.
I cannot tell you who, but I
was not faithful and partied
with sex, drugs and rock and roll."
She's finally done and he ponders
with hippo like silence that grows
ever more obese; "Tell me,
the person who you were with,
Do you want to be with him?"

A surprise question, the instant
answer; "No, I want to be with you."
His answer; "OK then. Case closed."
On to the next subject as this
bombshell dissipates into
welcome Canadian air.

Oh yes this is a love story
A very boring love story
bereft of drama and devoid of
histrionics like "Why have
you done this to ME?!" as
the daytime audence jeers and
hoots and howls...I told you
this was not just another
love story, but a true, ever
living love story of special,
deep kiddusha...it is time
to wake up!

(Lovingly dedicated to my late Canadian
Princess who, even though was the most
glorious angel that God had ever created,
was definitely NOT a saint, and that's
just fine by me! I miss her more than
words can ever hope to express.)

KNOCK YOURSELVES OUT!
rolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesrolleyesLOLLOLLOLLOLtongue winktongue winktongue winktongue winkgringringringringringrin

Weep not for the dead,
Since the dead cannot weep with you.

11-07-2010 at 07:17:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo

Not wanting to offend anyone, I offer the following, all in good fun:

I find I must agree with Richard
This debate topic is for the birds
Why pit two camps against each other
In a battle of many words

Although, if I were forced to choose
A side in the war on words
I’d call myself a lyric-street poet
That hangs around with nerds

More of an engineering mindset
Read Poe’s short stories once, for fun
But I wasn’t graded on it
No A- when I was done

I don’t know what iambic means
Nor do I really care
Pentameter, tetrameter
They don’t matter, so there!

I’ve never studied the classics
Shakespeare, Frost, nor Kipling
Upon the road less traveled
I found the journey somewhat crippling

“Can’t we all just get along?”
As Rodney King once asked it
Don’t get your panties in a bunch
And run around all spastic

So I’ll leave you with a thought
For all my poetic sisters and brothers
Write for the pleasure of writing
But share it for the pleasure of others
-Londo

Although I am academic, Londo, we are preaching the same Gospel from the same pu;pit........................LOL

11-07-2010 at 07:24:47 AM

I DEFEND YOUR RIGHT TO WRITE AS YOU WILL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-07-2010 at 08:30:22 AM

11-07-2010 at 07:35:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccslim

Untraditional is a very catchy phrase and I dig it wOOt slim aka Mr. untraditional lol sorry a blinding moment of transparent bull.. But imagine life without those who break the rules. I can't nor will I. hehehe like I am untraditional by learning to correlate the King's English into poetry of some sort.

To be a poet of today one must break rules set forth by presiding phd's and master's of Literature for one reason and that is to be different than them. imaGine that! My writing by far can't be used to illustrate proper technique but can be used for effort. Simple math is to keep trying past the negative and positive tho lying critiques. I still stand as I say trash can bards + stale English = 21st century poets. If that is a dis then so be it! Advise is to get head out of trashed and write fresh.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I defend your right to write as you will.

11-07-2010 at 07:39:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginga

My oh my this subject crosses my mind frequently. What genre or type of poet am I? It seems I do not have an entirely traditional style, yet that is my first love from elementary and high school. As far as street poetry, I admire the fast melodic beat, the undulating delivery of the voice, the often dramatic theatrical delivery and all is spoken is memorized notread off a paper like I read. I respect those street poets cause they have it all over me as far as guts and ego. Then there's the songwriter's style which I certainly can relate to and have written but the nature poet seems to suit me well, is a genre I aspire to and am successful with. I guess I fall in between traditional and singer/songwriter. My poetic prowess for street poetry, rap, and dark poetry has not been tapped yet. And as far as the collegiate abstraxct poetry, as much as I admire the poems I read in my "Poetry" monthly subscription (hard copy), they are often a bit too avant gard for my taste, yet noble and extremely cerebral just the same. I am truly a fan of Thoreau, Dickinson, Poe, Whitman, Frost, Rumi, Cullen Bryant.But when I yearn for abstract I trurn to Plath and Hughes. Often a novel written in creative writing can inspire me or a few haiku. Or I sit doen and read fellow 20-21st century poets chapbooks and all of you I have read thus far here on OP. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle of the poetry genre melting pot. Cheers and Happy 4th!! cheese
ginga

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Harsh and unjust though it may seem.
11-07-2010 at 07:48:56 AM

Quote:

I think this is a valid topic. I do. Not because Im taking sides on the matter- but because this question has been raised throughout writing history where poetry, and music- are concerned. Without this question 'free verse' wouldnt exist.
I also believe to comment 'the poem is either good or bad'- is ridiculous, without addressing this topic.

Whether the piece is good or bad- depends on the reader- their 'opinion', and that would be where it stands on this topic as well- I have a friend who can't stand early american poetry, but loves all the contempory stuff- I cant say he's wrong! I dont get it, but this is how he determines art.
I am an uneducated poet. Am I still a poet- I think so, because I express my spirit through writing-does everyone agree, probably not.. but there is definately more to writing then.. it's either 'good or bad'.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. I believe this hold true with poetry as well.
-ps- I do want to add (in my opinion) if street poets, grew academically in the genre they love- they can only get better at there skills. We all have room to grow and learn in this art. To me both sttreet and academic, are equal.. but I got a soft spot for the educated pieces-
just me..

smiles, Maddismile

But harsh and unjust though it may seem.
Criticism makes poets famous,
11-07-2010 at 07:48:58 AM

Quote:

just me..

smiles, Maddismile

Criticism makes real poets famous,
11-07-2010 at 07:48:59 AM

Quote:

just me..

smiles, Maddismile

Criticism makes poets famous,

11-07-2010 at 07:54:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel33614

What an excellent topic! I think there is a good argument on both sides. While academic poetry is much more structured I find that many poets get lost in the use of language, to the extent they hide the expression of the poem so deep within they sybombolic word that many never really see the meaning at all. Personally I love this type of writing because I love the challenge of the riddle, but for the average reader I think much gets lost in the translation. If the reader has to spend all his/her time trying to understand the laguage used than at what point do they have time to really feel the emotion of the poem? Don't get me wrong I love nothing more than just sit down with a good poem and just read it over and over till the message become clear in my mind, but really how many people take the time? And if the message of the poem is lost in the riddle than what is the point? Also many poets trying to write poetry use the language of poetry in rhyme and meter but lose the very essence of what makes a good poem. Street poets on the other hand use much more free verse and the language tends to be more common place and easier to understand. While academic poetry is built in riddles and hidden in symbolism street poets tend to be very blunt and the message is much easier to see. This type of poetry also tends to be filled with raw emotion and feeling. I personally think a good modern day poet finds him/herself somewhere in the middle. the true power of poetry is the ability of a poem to become more than just the words on a page but to transend the written word and to create something much more meaningful. True poetry is the window to one's heart and soul, it allows others to see through your eyes, to feel the emotion as you felt it, to walk for a moment in time in another shoes. It gives the reader the opportunity to gain persepective on the world and those around them and to selfreflect that prosoective on them selves. It allows for a looking glass relfection. As one gains perspective it allows one to truely grow. This in my opinion is the true power of poetry, whether it be a street poet or an academic one if the poem allows the reader an avenue to such a relaization than the poem has done its job well. Just my own rambling thoughts, perhaps I see, perhaps I am blind... Purity of the soul, journey well!!!! Angel aka Poem Buster. cool smile

***********************************************************************************************************

Angel. You and I are preaching the same Gospel
I defend the right to write as you will,

11-07-2010 at 07:54:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel33614

What an excellent topic! I think there is a good argument on both sides. While academic poetry is much more structured I find that many poets get lost in the use of language, to the extent they hide the expression of the poem so deep within they sybombolic word that many never really see the meaning at all. Personally I love this type of writing because I love the challenge of the riddle, but for the average reader I think much gets lost in the translation. If the reader has to spend all his/her time trying to understand the laguage used than at what point do they have time to really feel the emotion of the poem? Don't get me wrong I love nothing more than just sit down with a good poem and just read it over and over till the message become clear in my mind, but really how many people take the time? And if the message of the poem is lost in the riddle than what is the point? Also many poets trying to write poetry use the language of poetry in rhyme and meter but lose the very essence of what makes a good poem. Street poets on the other hand use much more free verse and the language tends to be more common place and easier to understand. While academic poetry is built in riddles and hidden in symbolism street poets tend to be very blunt and the message is much easier to see. This type of poetry also tends to be filled with raw emotion and feeling. I personally think a good modern day poet finds him/herself somewhere in the middle. the true power of poetry is the ability of a poem to become more than just the words on a page but to transend the written word and to create something much more meaningful. True poetry is the window to one's heart and soul, it allows others to see through your eyes, to feel the emotion as you felt it, to walk for a moment in time in another shoes. It gives the reader the opportunity to gain persepective on the world and those around them and to selfreflect that prosoective on them selves. It allows for a looking glass relfection. As one gains perspective it allows one to truely grow. This in my opinion is the true power of poetry, whether it be a street poet or an academic one if the poem allows the reader an avenue to such a relaization than the poem has done its job well. Just my own rambling thoughts, perhaps I see, perhaps I am blind... Purity of the soul, journey well!!!! Angel aka Poem Buster. cool smile

***********************************************************************************************************

Angel. You and I are preaching the same Gospel
I defend the right to write as you will,

11-07-2010 at 07:58:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkmaster

Wow,
deep thought going on here actually putting ones thoughts and heart felt emotions into classes!! Poetry is a extention of the soul does it really matter where the person gets there inspiration?? Some write from the heart, some poets write from life does it really matter as long as you reach one person in your poetic quest. you havei made a difference!! Most poets write like broken toasters some days it comes out dark some days it comes out light it really depends on the electricty that you are plugged into! The street poet has the street smarts to at least try, while the educated poet has to write for there ego. Putting a poet into a class is BS as long as there is expression in the verse, and heart, each has as made a effort to express themselfs for another to read out of a personal portfolio of thoughts, soul, heart, and experience!!
Inkmaster~[/quo

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I[b] defend the right to write as you will,
But harsh and unjust though it may seem .

11-07-2010 at 08:02:47 AM

RE: RE: Stumbling Stone Removal System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

I really like what all is going on in this thread,
all Teachers here, poets/friends
at the great table of poetry,
discussing the infrastructure of poetry
every one of you are amazing
21st Century poets,
We the Poets, need to make the youth our priority,
They are the heart of poetry
Our title is meaningless without this
There is only one way, and that is the Write-way

They should be heard, along with being seen
Some one please pass the turnip greens....

WS

Arise Gifted Poet

Arise! Arise gifted poet as a flaming bird
from the ashes of your estate,
an estate in the moment as eternity.

Lift, lift, lift— above the trees of shady time.

Soar above the hills of your newly found home
to grasp the clouds. Sing the voice
of the present wrapped in your grief.

Uplift your eyes, Uplift them; let them walk
through the cumulous white sky— Frame by frame
in flames—a music in the making fixed with that
new freed song standing before
you in the mirrored self. To lastly alight
in your present dream still discovering you.

Land, land now
on the laden fruit tree in the orchard
where life's abundant fruition
fruits forth with it's full roundness and sweet
meat upon the tongue. Feel the drips
of newly bitten flesh slide down your cheeks. Leave only,
only the core attached to the stem. For without
knowing your words, your breaths,
you have become—
Become liberated from the cage
of that ancient heart wood.
You've changed.

© RH Peat 5/31/2010 10:56Pm
From free verse. 25 lines.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I defend the right to write as you will,.

11-07-2010 at 08:02:48 AM

RE: RE: Stumbling Stone Removal System

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHPeat

I really like what all is going on in this thread,
all Teachers here, poets/friends
at the great table of poetry,
discussing the infrastructure of poetry
every one of you are amazing
21st Century poets,
We the Poets, need to make the youth our priority,
They are the heart of poetry
Our title is meaningless without this
There is only one way, and that is the Write-way

They should be heard, along with being seen
Some one please pass the turnip greens....

WS

Arise Gifted Poet

Arise! Arise gifted poet as a flaming bird
from the ashes of your estate,
an estate in the moment as eternity.

Lift, lift, lift— above the trees of shady time.

Soar above the hills of your newly found home
to grasp the clouds. Sing the voice
of the present wrapped in your grief.

Uplift your eyes, Uplift them; let them walk
through the cumulous white sky— Frame by frame
in flames—a music in the making fixed with that
new freed song standing before
you in the mirrored self. To lastly alight
in your present dream still discovering you.

Land, land now
on the laden fruit tree in the orchard
where life's abundant fruition
fruits forth with it's full roundness and sweet
meat upon the tongue. Feel the drips
of newly bitten flesh slide down your cheeks. Leave only,
only the core attached to the stem. For without
knowing your words, your breaths,
you have become—
Become liberated from the cage
of that ancient heart wood.
You've changed.

© RH Peat 5/31/2010 10:56Pm
From free verse. 25 lines.

I defend the right to write as you will,.

11-07-2010 at 08:14:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie

kabbalistic you make some excellent points. I read both pieces, and thought both are well written and entertaining. As far as knowing which catagory they fall in, I'm clueless lol!

Defend your right to write as you will.
But harsh and unjust it may seem.
11-07-2010 at 08:14:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie

kabbalistic you make some excellent points. I read both pieces, and thought both are well written and entertaining. As far as knowing which catagory they fall in, I'm clueless lol!

11-07-2010 at 08:20:14 AM

Quote:

OK, I'll make it a little easier! Take your pick; "street" or "academic"? Are those the only two options that we're left with? How about "hybrid" poetry? How about "avante-garde" poetics? How about "beat" poetry? Does anyone want me to start a thread so we can explore these different influences? Would the other fine instructors be willing to collaborate with me on such an undertaking?

Requiem For An A**hole

"Some people just plain suck..."
observes the zit popping oracle as we contemplate how to
best eulogize the Sons of Belial. Ah, such a formidable task as,
musing, we compare how easy it is whenever the righteous die
as we can justly mourn their passing-but whenever scumbags
are dispatched to those piney woods-how say we?
It is easier to perform auto falatio then to eulogize a douchebag-
undeserved elogy and lying praise are like a million fingers on
the blackboard and/or a penis on a cow. My eulogy to the grieving
widow (also a family member):

"Today, we sadly mourn the passing of your philandering, drug dealing, goatf**ker husband who treated you and your family with contemptuous disrespect-who even stuck a pistol in your uncle's (my Dad's) belly for no apparent reason. However, we are here to honor the memory of the dearly departed...
Let us then consider the a**hole...it takes all kinds, square ones, round ones, dark ones, greasy ones-we have come together in order to celebrate the amazing diversity and are so grateful that the dearly departed was such a prominent member of this illustrious universal brotherhood. How could we possibly have 'Immodium' without one such as our dearly departed brother?"

It is so hard to eulogize an a**hole...what a connundrum!
I wouldn't have this problem if the sonofab*tch had never been born.
Rest in peace, d**khead! Addition by Subtraction. Amen.
LOLLOLLOL

Question: Is there "academic" language in this piece? Is there "wise-ass", "edgy" language? Which is more prominent? Do they balance? Do they blend, or do they clash? How about the metaphors? Are they fresh? Is there sarcasm? How about the modifiers? Is there epiphany? Is there a "hook"? Is the message clear?

I
11-07-2010 at 08:20:15 AM

Quote:

OK, I'll make it a little easier! Take your pick; "street" or "academic"? Are those the only two options that we're left with? How about "hybrid" poetry? How about "avante-garde" poetics? How about "beat" poetry? Does anyone want me to start a thread so we can explore these different influences? Would the other fine instructors be willing to collaborate with me on such an undertaking?

Requiem For An A**hole

"Some people just plain suck..."
observes the zit popping oracle as we contemplate how to
best eulogize the Sons of Belial. Ah, such a formidable task as,
musing, we compare how easy it is whenever the righteous die
as we can justly mourn their passing-but whenever scumbags
are dispatched to those piney woods-how say we?
It is easier to perform auto falatio then to eulogize a douchebag-
undeserved elogy and lying praise are like a million fingers on
the blackboard and/or a penis on a cow. My eulogy to the grieving
widow (also a family member):

"Today, we sadly mourn the passing of your philandering, drug dealing, goatf**ker husband who treated you and your family with contemptuous disrespect-who even stuck a pistol in your uncle's (my Dad's) belly for no apparent reason. However, we are here to honor the memory of the dearly departed...
Let us then consider the a**hole...it takes all kinds, square ones, round ones, dark ones, greasy ones-we have come together in order to celebrate the amazing diversity and are so grateful that the dearly departed was such a prominent member of this illustrious universal brotherhood. How could we possibly have 'Immodium' without one such as our dearly departed brother?"

It is so hard to eulogize an a**hole...what a connundrum!
I wouldn't have this problem if the sonofab*tch had never been born.
Rest in peace, d**khead! Addition by Subtraction. Amen.
LOLLOLLOL

Question: Is there "academic" language in this piece? Is there "wise-ass", "edgy" language? Which is more prominent? Do they balance? Do they blend, or do they clash? How about the metaphors? Are they fresh? Is there sarcasm? How about the modifiers? Is there epiphany? Is there a "hook"? Is the message clear?

I
11-07-2010 at 09:42:23 AM

RE: Street poets VS. Academic poets

Hey cousin darling, would you stop already posting the same picture over and over in every post, come one my friend you are flooding my email........I love your responses to other peoples comments but this one is getting to be a bit much........still loves ya though.........Namaste.......asha

11-07-2010 at 09:50:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsalassi

Well, now that everyone seems to be in agreement with me, and since we've all kissed and made up, I would be the last one to say, "There, I was right all along!" Instead, let me suggest merely and most humbly, let's now drop this nonsense, and get about our business of penning poems that uplift the human spirit, tickle the shit (oooppps, sorry, I meant to say funny bone), and inspire a better tomorrow in us all!

11-07-2010 at 09:53:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApaqRasgirl

Hey cousin darling, would you stop already posting the same picture over and over in every post, come one my friend you are flooding my email........I love your responses to other peoples comments but this one is getting to be a bit much........still loves ya though.........Namaste.......asha

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I hear you , Baby,

I am waking some who have fallen asleep or are in the doldrums......LOL
i WAS JUST ABOUT TO SHOUT. "The end ! Curtains! "

Last edited by cousinsoren 11-07-2010 at 12:59:37 PM

Poetry is what gets lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.