Original Poetry Forums

Site Function Problems

01-19-2010 at 06:33:08 PM

RE: Site Function Problems

i think it does have something to do with my browser...it worked fine this morning and then i did a microsoft update earlier and it now it wont work.. any suggestions

01-19-2010 at 07:57:48 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

RE: RE: Site Function Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmartyjake1

Hi Ginga,
I have also had some weird trouble on the site, when posting a new poem, I have to refresh the page to get the toolbar.
Without the toolbar, it will post like a paragraph and it cannot be fixed so easily.
I have found that refreshing the page does work, though. It took a while to figure it out.
Marian
confused

Thanks for posting this. grin I was having the paragraph problem earlier, but after shutting down my laptop, following a security upgrade, now I have the tool bar again. If I have a problem uploading another poem, I'll try the . Thanks again, Londo wink

01-20-2010 at 09:29:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano

i think it does have something to do with my browser...it worked fine this morning and then i did a microsoft update earlier and it now it wont work.. any suggestions

There are a couple options...

1. go to tools-internet options-advanced, and click on Restore advanced settings. I'm assuming you've updated to IE 8?

2. Head to www.getfirefox.com and download firefox. Its a good browser as well.

I guess a 3rd would be to look into reinstall internet explorer, although MS makes that difficult. You might be able to find some info on their web site about it.

-Papa Paczki

01-20-2010 at 11:10:44 AM

I've been using both Internet Explorer and Firefox to access the OP site... and different computers.

I have had no problems using Firefox; but there are times when I use Internet Explorer and I'm not able to "get into" the site at all, on one of the computers.
It isn't a constant, and the problem once disappeared when I cleared my cookies.

01-20-2010 at 12:09:41 PM

I know what you mean springsize. A few months back when I had problems accessing a different site, I was given the advice to change browsers. Have found with the sites I frequent, including the OP, if ie doesn't work, then go with firefox and vice versa. It always seems that one or the other will work at different times.

01-21-2010 at 11:57:08 AM

Please, please, please, fix the Friend Activity with numbered pages, the scrolling from first page back to where I left off is driving into madness, to drinking, to thinking about leaping........please!downer

01-21-2010 at 12:21:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlusion

Please, please, please, fix the Friend Activity with numbered pages, the scrolling from first page back to where I left off is driving into madness, to drinking, to thinking about leaping........please!downer

I will be diving into this after I finish a couple of other things that maintain site up-time.

For the time being here is a tip that might work for you:
When you are reading the friend activity and want to click a link do this:
Hold down the Ctrl key + click the link. That should open a new page/tab in Internet Explorer and Firefox. Thus leaving you at the same spot in recent activity that you were at.

Thank you for your patienceexcaim

01-21-2010 at 03:05:19 PM

Thank you, Sir Clips,

I have stepped back from the cliff, and I am now in "Control Key" mode
but still downing the bubbly.

Peace and Light,
Dahsmile

01-21-2010 at 03:34:49 PM

Quote:

I have stepped back from the cliff, and I am now in "Control Key" mode but still downing the bubbly.

Its good to see clips was able to intervene. I wouldn't want to see you have to end it all over a Load More system. lol

-Papa Paczki shock

01-22-2010 at 01:42:53 AM

�hear the star-song� I wish I had thought of that line, awesome, Mars. Great imagery. BTW, has anybody else noticed the cat face in the picture? oh, wait, I see a unicorn, also. That�s a great photo to go with this poem!

This is a comment I left for Marsink that I copied and pasted.....
Can somebody fix this please? The quotation marks and apostrophe work fine as I’m writing the comment and then when it posts it shows up like this....really bothersome...”please can you fix it?"

Last edited by Aria 01-22-2010 at 01:45:36 AM

01-22-2010 at 09:20:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria

�hear the star-song� I wish I had thought of that line, awesome, Mars. Great imagery. BTW, has anybody else noticed the cat face in the picture? oh, wait, I see a unicorn, also. That�s a great photo to go with this poem!

This is a comment I left for Marsink that I copied and pasted.....
Can somebody fix this please? The quotation marks and apostrophe work fine as I’m writing the comment and then when it posts it shows up like this....really bothersome...”please can you fix it?"

Hi Aria,

I see do see that you are talking about but I am having a problem trying to pinpoint what is causing it.

Do you only notice it when you type in " or a ' ? The strange thing is I just tested by typing a comment with quotes and did not notice the problem. If I can pinpoint exactly what when it happens I will be able to fix it.

Please let me know!
Thanks for your help.

01-22-2010 at 11:27:08 AM

Thanks, Clips, and yes, it is only “ and ‘. On the old site, this happened only in private messages but now it’s happening on comments, too.

01-22-2010 at 10:07:13 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsink

Sometimes I write a poem and two days later there are no comments.... Did I write the wrong one?! lol

A little humorous reliefus.shock

Maybe the problem isn't in the site, but the lack of foresight. tongue wink

01-22-2010 at 10:07:56 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:

Sometimes I write a poem and two days later there are no comments.... Did I write the wrong one?! lol

01-22-2010 at 10:09:27 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:

01-22-2010 at 10:10:46 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Quote:

01-22-2010 at 10:16:00 PM
  • Londo
  • Londo

Speaking of site function problems, the message I just sent was taking a long time to load so I stopped loading. I tried it again and it would not load again, etc. Finally, I gave up and hit the back button. Now there are 4 or 5 copies of the message. shock

01-22-2010 at 10:28:32 PM

that is just how fast you are on the button. great finger work!LOL

01-22-2010 at 11:15:15 PM

That is comical stuff. It is so embarrassing when one hits the send, submit, or what have you button because it doesn't seem to have gone, but actually did. The other thing I am finding out is when I leave a comment or send a PM it disappears in to neverland........................I wish ol' papa could fix that....but he probably ran off and is hiding in Neverland........................

confused.....................g

01-23-2010 at 08:41:36 AM

I am having problems with replying to comments...
I can reply only by going to the "My Poem Comments" link.
But I cannot reply from the actual Poem page?
It's very frustrating - because there is a button to post reply, the comment box opens and allows me to type comment, but when I hit the post reply button ... it deletes everything I just typed. gulp

Thanks for your assistance.

Last edited by knight4696 01-23-2010 at 08:45:23 AM

01-23-2010 at 12:59:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight4696

I am having problems with replying to comments...
I can reply only by going to the "My Poem Comments" link.
But I cannot reply from the actual Poem page?
It's very frustrating - because there is a button to post reply, the comment box opens and allows me to type comment, but when I hit the post reply button ... it deletes everything I just typed. gulp

Thanks for your assistance.

I found out that the best thing to do is to copy your comment or
reply before you hit submit....if it screws up.....at least you have it
copied, so you just paste it, and try again. I do that with everything...always..............................g
grin

01-24-2010 at 01:21:12 PM

The "I LIKE IT" button.

I have noticed a new trend building up on this new and improved site: poets pushing the "I like it" button and not leaving a comment. This, in my opinion, is lame and should stop.

I believe that people should not be able to leave "I Like It" without explaining why.
All writers want to know what it is about their work that a reader likes or dislikes. This is how we as writers learn and grow.

Please, fix this so you have to leave a comment before pushing "I like it".

Peace and Light,
Dahconfused

01-24-2010 at 05:28:38 PM

Quote:

The "I LIKE IT" button.

I have noticed a new trend building up on this new and improved site: poets pushing the "I like it" button and not leaving a comment. This, in my opinion, is lame and should stop.

I believe that people should not be able to leave "I Like It" without explaining why.
All writers want to know what it is about their work that a reader likes or dislikes. This is how we as writers learn and grow.

Peace and Light,
Dahconfused

I can't understand why OP added that "I like it" button, and "I Don't like it"
after one clicks the "I like it" button. What if one doesn't like it ? How would
one be able to use the "I don't like it" button until after they click
the "I like it" button ???
grrr grrr big surprise.....................................gogant

01-25-2010 at 09:13:41 AM

RE: RE: RE: Site Function Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

The "I LIKE IT" button.

Peace and Light,
Dahconfused

I can't understand why OP added that "I like it" button, and "I Don't like it"
after one clicks the "I like it" button. What if one doesn't like it ? How would
one be able to use the "I don't like it" button until after they click
the "I like it" button ???
grrr grrr big surprise.....................................gogant

Thank you for your comments.

The "Like" button was meant to be just a quick tag letting the poet know that you like the poem. Once you click the like button you can unlick a poem for any reason and you will be off the like list for that poem. The reason we did not include a "I do not like this" button is because if someone does not really like the poem I feel if they they should leave a comment and try and help the poet. Our thoughts are when we implemented this is that you can still like a poem and not have to leave a comment on the poem if you do not wish to. Kind of like a way to leave your "mark" if you wish.

In the near future we are planning on making more rating and comment changes for the better so we will consider your ideas and what we will do with the likes.

Thank you guys for the input.

01-30-2010 at 04:48:55 PM

Ok, so I noticed something. Whenever I go to edit one of my poems, or add or change something, the list of yeses and nos at the bottom all stay where I set them except the weekly contest one. It automatically changes to yes. And it annoys me greatly that it automatically puts it on yes all the time. Several times I have had to go back and pull a poem off the contest. Very annoying indeed....
grin

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) American poet.