Original Poetry Forums

Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

06-04-2009 at 09:13:41 PM

Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademelissa74

I have been reading many poems in this site. Some are great, amazing, and simply delightful. Some others, are of very poor quality. Now, I do not necessarily mean poor grammar or usage of the English language, I just simply mean, a poor message.

You know that message that I am talking about? The one that doesn't reach the reader? Yes, that particular one that strikes you with a great beginning and leaves you wondering where exactly the sense of direction was lost. The one that you want to rate or comment poorly but are afraid to say anything to avoid hurting feelings.

Some people have great ideas and just simply need a little help to guide them through. Hints that would stick forever, if they choose to continue to write. I am inviting you to become a part of a circle of poets that help each other, criticize work with honorable words and inflict routes to find the right direction to a great poem.

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Simply post your reply and choose the poet. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other. If you would like to convey a praise, then scream it! If you have constructive criticism, please be cordial to your fellow poets and send your opinions in a private message.

Good Luck! Hope to hear from you!

With much love and respect,

Erika Brown grin

i will love for someone to read my poems and give me feedback on them thanks

Last edited by liya1 06-04-2009 at 09:14:11 PM

06-04-2009 at 10:22:14 PM

Yeah i've been writing hip hop infuenced lyrics/poems in secrecy for the past four years and it would be great to receive some constructive criticism, some hate, some love. Anything.

06-05-2009 at 01:15:34 AM

let me have it; need any help availible; always love to write but just now have time to let it out.Disabled from work with lyme disease from tick bites .check it out and let me know. I write about what I see and feel about it. Thanks

06-05-2009 at 01:42:09 AM

Quote:

I have been reading many poems in this site. Some are great, amazing, and simply delightful. Some others, are of very poor quality. Now, I do not necessarily mean poor grammar or usage of the English language, I just simply mean, a poor message.

You know that message that I am talking about? The one that doesn't reach the reader? Yes, that particular one that strikes you with a great beginning and leaves you wondering where exactly the sense of direction was lost. The one that you want to rate or comment poorly but are afraid to say anything to avoid hurting feelings.

Some people have great ideas and just simply need a little help to guide them through. Hints that would stick forever, if they choose to continue to write. I am inviting you to become a part of a circle of poets that help each other, criticize work with honorable words and inflict routes to find the right direction to a great poem.

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Simply post your reply and choose the poet. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other. If you would like to convey a praise, then scream it! If you have constructive criticism, please be cordial to your fellow poets and send your opinions in a private message.

Erika Brown grin

"A poet is raw and unashamed, then finds a way to ease your frustrations with a comforting rage, sooth your spirits like the smoke of sage. A poet keeps you totally engaged with epic sentiments, that have you on the edge of your emotions, make you feel dizzy with lyrical potions. A poet is full to the brim with antonyms, like he was liberated while imprisioned, because life is about our own decisions"

cheese you should read my stuff. my pen name is Neverknow

06-05-2009 at 01:44:01 AM

Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLilSecret

Wordslinger.. It would just be the poetry getting critiqued.. That is what we are here for.. Not to judge others but to help everyone get better at their writing.. As Erika said to us all when she asked us to join.. OR we asked her to ask people.. smile

I think everyone of us have our own opinions and we can express those in a way that is not hurtful and even if it is harsh we can say it in a way that will help the others write better.. Do you not agree??

Everyone who has POSTED on this thread is open to have their work read by anyone and critiqued. In return we can critique on the people who have POSTED. We cant just go and do it to anyone.. But ANYONE can do it us.. If you would like to critique look at the thread and click on someones profile and read their work..

Also just a tip, if you find no one is commenting your work and you would like it to be, reach out the hand and go and comment on someone else's work first.. 99% of the time they will return the favor.. If you want to be critiqued make sure you ask in the end of your comment that way they know and they will most likely return the favor.. Just remember if you get a comment to make sure you at least check the persons work out.. and try and comment if you can..

One other thing, If for some reason you get a really really nasty mean comment.. DONT feel the need to retaliate or spread it around.. Either delete the post and tell erika about it so she can speak to the person or send a private message yourself to the person.. But dont make someone else feel bad because you got a bad posting.. Please!!

MUCH LOVE!! excaim excaim

DirtyLilSecret excaim excaim excaim

OH!!! And if you comment or critique me i PROMISE excaim that i will comment back to your work.. IF you want a certain poem say that in the comment and if you want critique say that to please.. It might take me a day or so but i will comment back!!

hey lil secret. pull apart my work. check 'em out. my pen name is Neverknow. shock

06-05-2009 at 02:51:22 AM

Quote:

Erika Brown grin

"A poet is raw and unashamed, then finds a way to ease your frustrations with a comforting rage, sooth your spirits like the smoke of sage. A poet keeps you totally engaged with epic sentiments, that have you on the edge of your emotions, make you feel dizzy with lyrical potions. A poet is full to the brim with antonyms, like he was liberated while imprisioned, because life is about our own decisions"

06-05-2009 at 02:59:20 AM

Check out my poems and let me know what you think. Some constructive criticism will help me to grow. I have about six posted at this time. Thanks for your honesty. God bless!

06-05-2009 at 12:02:27 PM

Cheeze,

I guess I missed this post. I would be happy to participate. As a few of you know, I have already sent a few private messages with suggestions. (Humbly and respectfully submitted I hope).

Although I am not a poet. Not really. I wrote some in High School, but that was 40 years ago. I have been around this tired old globe a few times, seen many things. Why, in the Golden Triangle I even ate a scorpion salad once! (no lie!).

But to me life is the poet. I simply try to capture a little glimpse of that beauty and emotion and reflect it back. Life is the poet. I'm just the reporter, and I'm not sure if I do a very good job of it.

So count me in for sure! And thank you, friends, for having me in your circle. Maybe, together, we can make the world a little more beautiful and meaningful.

gmcookie

06-05-2009 at 04:50:08 PM

Wordslinger, I love it when you go off, lol 'cause you're usually making a good point, lol And NO, you're not OK ... you're a poet, go figure. I'll stop by and see what you have up here or there. Have a great day, k cool smile

06-05-2009 at 09:06:33 PM

New one up, care to take a look? thanks, k cool smile

06-06-2009 at 07:37:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLilSecret

Anyone who is willing, you can critic my poems and i will not be upset.. I will also read an drespon to yours either with criticism or with a comment whichever you prefer!! But please! Any of my poems are open for discussion!

06-06-2009 at 08:18:30 AM

Count me in Erika, I enjoy reading other poetry as well as leaving comments, it's only out of respect to the writer. I've been writing lyrics and some poetry for 29 years, and could always use some constructive criticism. Thanks for the invite. cool smile

06-06-2009 at 05:33:14 PM

YES YES YES YES YES

I'm more than ready for some comments, criticism & helpful hints. I've been insulted by experts!! so don't worry that I'll be offended, just lay it right out there & I'll be grateful. Thanks! LOL

Last edited by devaamido 06-27-2009 at 09:57:15 AM

06-06-2009 at 05:44:29 PM

Quote:

Erika Brown grin

then anyone reading this...will love this http://www.vianet.net.au/~croft/vagabond/vagabond.html i found it as my kid would say..."the bomb"

06-06-2009 at 06:59:25 PM

Criticism is the only way to improve - - the critic or the criticized! (Imprint a winking smiley face here.)

06-06-2009 at 09:39:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

I have to ask you all a question, ok????
If I write about faith in a religion,
then turn around and write an xxx poem,
with just as much passion, and skill
then would I get judged as a person or a poet?
Or would just the poem be judged?
This is an important question don't ya think?
So before we begin, I like some feed back on that.
I think it will be fun, but who am I to Criticise??
Sorry for being a pain, lol

John E WordSlinger

ok
laws where made to be broken by the poor
because laws were made to protect the rich,
so keep that in mind

http://www.bing.com/search?q=criticism&src=IE-SearchBox

THIS IS WHAT POETRY AND THE SPIRIT OF POETRY IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CRITICISM IS SUBJECTIVE AND ITS REALLY JUST AN OPPINION....AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPPINIONS......THEY ARE LIKE ASS HOLES......EVERYBODY HAS ONE......STICK TO THE GOLDEN RULE....IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING AT ALL......YOU COULD SAY THE WRONG THING TO SOMEONE AND HURT THEIR FEELINGS AND UNKNOWINGLY CAUSE THEM TO STOP WRITING OR WORSE TO STOP BREATHING......IF I WANTED TO BE GRADED ON MY POETRY I WOULD HAVE STAY'D IN COLLEGE.

Last edited by JadedJezzabel 06-06-2009 at 09:40:54 PM

06-06-2009 at 09:56:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedJezzabel

John E WordSlinger

ok
so keep that in mind

THIS IS WHAT POETRY AND THE SPIRIT OF POETRY IS ALL ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CRITICISM IS SUBJECTIVE AND ITS REALLY JUST AN OPPINION....AND YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT OPPINIONS......THEY ARE LIKE ASS HOLES......EVERYBODY HAS ONE......STICK TO THE GOLDEN RULE....IF YOU CAN'T FIND ANYTHING NICE TO SAY THEN SAY NOTHING AT ALL......YOU COULD SAY THE WRONG THING TO SOMEONE AND HURT THEIR FEELINGS AND UNKNOWINGLY CAUSE THEM TO STOP WRITING OR WORSE TO STOP BREATHING......IF I WANTED TO BE GRADED ON MY POETRY I WOULD HAVE STAY'D IN COLLEGE.

JADEDJEZZABEL

Dear JadedJezzabel,

As you may have already read the introduction of this page, this is a "freedom choice" offered to those who are interested in constructive criticism. Do not dwell on the fact that you are not interested. I do find it quite puzzled, that is, the fact that you keep your rating on for all of your poems. I am not sure if you are aware of it or not, but you can turn it off smile

I think that everyone that has agreed to become a part of this thread has managed to make constructive criticism in a respectful manner. I do value your opinion on the matter. I believe you have made yourself clear. Good luck!

Thank you for visiting the thread!

Erika

wink

06-07-2009 at 02:48:27 PM

I'm in like flin wink

06-07-2009 at 05:58:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devaamido

I'm more than ready for some comments, criticism & helpful hints. I've been insulted by experts!! so don't worry that I'll be offended, just lay it right out there & I'll be grateful. Thanks! LOL

Okay guys!! Who wants to swap critiques today? I may not be practiced but I'm willing! question

Last edited by devaamido 06-07-2009 at 06:03:05 PM

06-08-2009 at 03:49:24 AM

I am new to the site. I wrote a poem for my son,who was born stillborn, for his funeral. Some said it was amazing. I would like to get feedback on it to see if others feel the same. And i would hope that i can get constructive criticism no matter what.

Thanks

06-10-2009 at 03:32:34 PM

I would definitely love some constructive criticism on my work!! I am not naive enough to think that what I write cannot be improved upon, and who better to help than a circle of poetic friends? I do, however, agree with Artie. We should all post ANY negative or constructive criticism in a private message. Leaving positive feedback that is visible to everyone is great, because it helps other readers to sometimes understand what has been written. Anyone that has ANY feedback for me is welcome and desired. Thank you, Erika for starting this thread. Like others before me, I would like to ask... where do we go from here? Do we post to this thread, or does everyone do their work via profile? wink

06-10-2009 at 03:58:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDIsernhagen

John E WordSlinger

ok
so keep that in mind

It is my humble opinion that the two (person V. poet) cannot be separated, for your poetry is your observations on life, and your perception depends on you as a person. people are poets, poets are people...

but maybe I'm just to nieve to see what you're really getting at. I see the point of it all, makeing sure that we "keep it buiness" or something along those lines, and not start a word war about morality, but...

I would hope that we could rise above our differing opinions on things...my experience tells me this may not actually work as well in practice as in theory. What I can promise you, John, is that I will not judge your work based on my opinion of the topic. Personally, I think if you can write with equal passion and skill on topics positioned on the opposite ends of the spectrum, and probably on everything in between, you are a poet to be admired and a person to be held in great esteem. Kudos for diversity!

06-10-2009 at 04:00:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLorian

Originally Posted by BDIsernhagen

John E WordSlinger

ok
so keep that in mind

It is my humble opinion that the two (person V. poet) cannot be separated, for your poetry is your observations on life, and your perception depends on you as a person. people are poets, poets are people...

but maybe I'm just to nieve to see what you're really getting at. I see the point of it all, makeing sure that we "keep it buiness" or something along those lines, and not start a word war about morality, but...

I would hope that we could rise above our differing opinions on things...my experience tells me this may not actually work as well in practice as in theory. What I can promise you, John, is that I will not judge your work based on my opinion of the topic. Personally, I think if you can write with equal passion and skill on topics positioned on the opposite ends of the spectrum, and probably on everything in between, you are a poet to be admired and a person to be held in great esteem. Kudos for diversity!

Then again, now that I think of it, maybe passion and spirituality are not at the opposite ends of the spectrum...

06-10-2009 at 08:03:24 PM

I would love the chance for someone to read my work and give me their opinions. I love constructive criticism it only makes you better if you let it!

06-10-2009 at 11:40:15 PM

works grow from a seed
by some matter of need
to produce not impede
inner thoughts we can read
but then after we read
come harsh judgments indeed
then we scrub and erase
unique thoughts in our haste
-
dragonfly1023

we are our own worst critics

I would love to hear someone else critique my work for a change wink

Last edited by dragonfly1023 06-11-2009 at 12:50:02 PM

When power leads man towards arrogance, poetry reminds him of his limitations. When power narrows the area of man's concern, poetry reminds him of the richness and diversity of existence. When power corrupts, poetry cleanses.

John F. Kennedy (1917-1963) Thirty-fifth President of the USA