Original Poetry Forums

Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

06-24-2009 at 10:34:57 PM

Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

You're on then smile) Welcome aboard!

Erika

06-25-2009 at 12:32:29 AM

I try to leave comments other than, "I like this" or "I don't like this" I do my best to summarize what I have read and then offer comments and why I either find a fault or find a joy with something in a persons poetry.
I wonder if there are those on here who consistently offers good criticism?

06-25-2009 at 03:03:42 PM

Paolo,

Thank you for your concern. I can honestly, say out in the open, that I send criticism summaries in private manner, to many poets here. I also, consistently, encourage those who passionately write.

I leave a good comment on the page that will be reviewed by everyone, once I read the poem. If I feel as though, a suggestion should be made, even though, I have left a good comment about the message content, I still write a private e-mail to the poet with my suggestions/critiques about the piece.

I don't want anyone else to be influenced by my opinion. You might like what I don't like. It is just a way to be fair to everyone here. I enjoy messages. I am not looking for perfection within the piece. So, fairly to say, I might leave a great comment, that will be followed by a private e-mail.

I am sure many here can say that this is the way I operate. Please refer to "Miriam" A 16 year old girl. Read her 1st poem and the critique. You will be blown away or at least, entertained.

With much love and respect,

Erika Brown

06-25-2009 at 11:30:18 PM

When you hit rock-bottom
You can't fall any more
When your journey is over
There's always more to explore

When the path you travel ends
There is always a fork you can take
When your world may seem to shatter
In reality it cannot break

When something comes to end
It opens things up for another to start
When all things seem to be lost
You will never lose your heart

Even if you don't have the will
You always have the strength to endure
No matter what happens
Your soul still remains pure

You can accomplish anything
As long as you are driven
No matter what you've done
You can always be forgiven

It doesn't matter what you've done in the past
As long as you've learned from it and gotten stronger
It doesn't matter how childish your decisions were
As long as they're immature no longer

In the highway of life
There are no dead ends
Whenever you seem all alone
You'll always have your true friend.

06-26-2009 at 12:12:24 AM
  • Angellightwolf
  • Angellightwolf

Critique mine and I will do the same. Many Blessings to one and all...

06-26-2009 at 12:30:24 AM

I am new to this site and would like to hear from anyone. I welcome anyone to comment and I will return the favor. Thanks. cool smile

06-26-2009 at 02:20:34 AM

Having kept my poetry to myself for most of my life,

I welcome some input from people who don't love me!

Finally some honesty.

I welcome your critique! smile

06-26-2009 at 04:58:10 AM

I am very open to constructive criticism. I believe it helps out because people give you feedback on what you wrote and everyone should know whether or not they are good writers. Many people aren't as open as I am to the subject because they are afraid of what they would say about their poem or essay. Everyone should welcome constructive criticism, especially if they want to be more then just online poets... tongue wink

Diana LOL

06-26-2009 at 04:31:56 PM

All are invited to critique/comment on my work open and honestly. Paolo for example commented on one of my poems and pointed out a negative aspect of the rhyme scheme I used in one of my poems, and after I re-read my poem from his point of view I came to the conclusion he was right. I took his advise and wrote a new poem utilizing it and it turned out great, it is one of my best I believe.

-Spence

06-27-2009 at 11:23:39 PM

this is my whole reason for making a profile is for this purpose any and everyone is encouraged to critque my poetry. please do so and i will do the same.

06-28-2009 at 05:20:35 AM

I think this is GREAT!!! I'd really like to have my poetry seriously critiqued, how else can I know if it's good or bad? I don't bruise easily and if I can change it I will, if not then I'll just keep it to myself. Thank you .

06-28-2009 at 08:56:47 AM

Thank You for the invite.I am glad there are people such as yourself that believe honesty is a plus.
I hope all will review my poetry and give me honest opinions;for,I cannot get better results if people worry about hurting my feelings.

Sincerely,
Angellady72153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jademelissa74

I have been reading many poems in this site. Some are great, amazing, and simply delightful. Some others, are of very poor quality. Now, I do not necessarily mean poor grammar or usage of the English language, I just simply mean, a poor message.

You know that message that I am talking about? The one that doesn't reach the reader? Yes, that particular one that strikes you with a great beginning and leaves you wondering where exactly the sense of direction was lost. The one that you want to rate or comment poorly but are afraid to say anything to avoid hurting feelings.

Some people have great ideas and just simply need a little help to guide them through. Hints that would stick forever, if they choose to continue to write. I am inviting you to become a part of a circle of poets that help each other, criticize work with honorable words and inflict routes to find the right direction to a great poem.

If you are interested, and can handle constructive criticism well, then let us begin analyzing each other's work. Simply post your reply and choose the poet. Let us begin to praise and applaud the pieces and/or criticize and guide each other. If you would like to convey a praise, then scream it! If you have constructive criticism, please be cordial to your fellow poets and send your opinions in a private message.

Good Luck! Hope to hear from you!

Erika Brown grin

"A poet is raw and unashamed, then finds a way to ease your frustrations with a comforting rage, sooth your spirits like the smoke of sage. A poet keeps you totally engaged with epic sentiments, that have you on the edge of your emotions, make you feel dizzy with lyrical potions. A poet is full to the brim with antonyms, like he was liberated while imprisioned, because life is about our own decisions"

grin

06-28-2009 at 09:02:31 AM

Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

I feel your poetry.Keep up the good work/

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybellinegrl

When you hit rock-bottom
You can't fall any more

No matter what happens

In the highway of life
There are no dead ends
grin

06-28-2009 at 09:05:49 AM

Thank You for the invite.I feel you have a great idea.Honesty is the best way to be .Good ,bad,or indifferent,Everyone should learn from others opinions.
Feel free to critique my poetry anyone .Thanks again.Angellady72153 grin

06-28-2009 at 09:46:23 AM

This is a very nice proposition.

I am new at the site and I will love to hear feedback.

I find it difficult to write complex poems and is usually attune to simple words and messages.

You may not find a lot of synonyms, anthonyms and homonyms in my poem, but I welcome all kind and harsh comments.

I posted a poem about poets with title "Poets are not poets" and I think it will be a good start to receive constructive comments for that piece.

Thanks a lot for the invite.

06-28-2009 at 11:25:00 AM

sure

06-28-2009 at 11:54:17 AM

Re: Re: Are you interested in constructive criticism? Can you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybellinegrl

When you hit rock-bottom
You can't fall any more

No matter what happens

In the highway of life
There are no dead ends

ok... to wit, i am not a professional writer's critic... i possess no credentials of any kind to lend credibility to my opinions as any more valid than anyone elses...

as i scrolled through the posts here, i happened upon this post where the author (unknown to me) offered a piece for critique... in keeping with the thrust of this forum topic, below i will give my objective opinion of the piece, then offer a constructive opinion for improvement which may help the writer in their own overview of their work...

first, the author's message is clear; ie, "never give up"... it is redundantly stated in various phrasings from beginning to end... each single verse, alone, is a poem unto itself, as it contains, more or less, the same message as all the others...

the message itself is one of many, commonly used optimistic themes but, beyond just being a nice sentiment to write about, as such, it has no real, intrinsic uniqueness about it as a core theme to make this piece particularly memorable to readers...

i suggest rewriting this piece... rather than have no personal attachments for any of these, "never give up" sentiment phrasings, try using them as color accents, or augments, to a personal story, or about a character in some way... give each an individual uniqueness and importance by attaching it to something human; albeit real, or perceived...

i hope this was helpful...

doug, aka, laydbak1

Last edited by laydbak1 06-28-2009 at 12:01:28 PM

06-28-2009 at 03:05:47 PM

I think constructive criticism is a gift offered to one another to help us to express ourselves in the way that reaches people with messages the best. It also can add insight as to how we are choosing to deal with the themes behind the poems. I'm all for it, but I must admit that it is difficult for me to critique if I don't care for the way a poem is written.

06-28-2009 at 04:25:27 PM

I am guilty... Totally guilty... Reading my comments to the many hundreds of poems I've left here, one can readily see that I can be very generic with some, personally involved with others, and even completely and totally wrong with my take on a few... But, I will always try to give my honest opinion of what I've read... Early on, I wrote a few open critiques, but have since learned that these are not always welcomed as they were intended, so I've stopped doing that... I now try to form my comment to match the piece's intensity about it's subject, while generally discounting it's length, overall grammar and syntax, as well as spelling errors, or other detracting factors it might contain...

I mentioned in an earlier post here, I think the author is best served by critical reviews in a private message... I still believe this and will add; unless the author asks for it in public format, everyone should try to stay clear of becoming a potential flame source in an author's public comments; even if they don't like the piece for whatever reason...

Just my thoughts... I'm sure there are others...

Last edited by laydbak1 06-28-2009 at 04:33:14 PM

06-28-2009 at 06:52:14 PM

I'm in Jade
and let me add by saying that by giving good criticism you can teach yourself about your own hidden concerns. They will surface while critiquing someone else's work. It will teach you from your own actions what will make your own work stronger. For good constructive criticism is always focused on the individual poem and never the poet. Criticism is constructed by observing what is written on the page. You can only deal with what the writer has offered in their construction of the poem. There is far more to any poet than there is to any single poem: so to try to equate the two is somewhat like trying to equate a drop of water to the Pacific ocean. In trying to make the poet and poem the same thing is missing the real person who is always far more than anything they ever write. At least I am far more than anything I ever write. It would be absolutely impossible to try and squeeze 67 years through the bottle neck of any one poem. This why I'm never protective of my work. Besides I want to hear it all and then make my own judgment about what is being offered. I don't even have to tell anyone what my decisions are if I don't feel like it. If you are protective of your work. I doesn't matter to me; for I have my reasons for every word in a poem always building for an intent.

A poem, being something smaller than the poet, on the other hand is limited by what it offers to it's viewer, which can always be questionable to any reader. The craft of poetry is to get the reader to read the work. This is also the point to constructive criticism as well. To comment on what works or what doesn't work within the poem, to look at what captures the reader and maintains them in the reading of the poem from a readers point of view. Personally I want to hear it all, totally uncensored. In the end, in my own contemplation over the work I'll decide what might or might not help the individual piece of poetry. I want the writer of the criticism to say what they have to say as strongly as possible. I want them to cause me to rethink my poem. I want them to offer me everything the think about the poems construction. For a good criticism should offer the writer enough concepts to rethink their work in a greater depth. A critique is never about agreement, compliance or even making changes even though changes might be suggested. It is about offering what you know about the craft of writing to another writer for their benefit from your personal point of view. A critique might not cover the intent in the poem in question, but that is neither the fault of the criticism or the poem. Criticism is always what that one person sees in your poem from where they stand in the craft. In the end only the writer knows what is best for their individual poem. But to offer another writer a chance to rethink their poem from your point of view is offering them your eyes for a moment through that criticism. That's really a priceless gift from one writer to another. I always offer back what I receive in a critique. I am working with people here right now that offer and receive critiques. This is what work-shopping is all about if you ask me. There is nothing new about it at all. Bacon, Shakespeare and Marlow all hung out together and did the same thing. We all should be working together and not against one another as other writers have done throughout history. We have a fantastic group here at Original Poetry. It can only become what we choose to make it.

The structure of writing has little or nothing to do with agreement or compliance. As poets we realize it's the inclusive which is always at stake not the exclusive. Censorship is Hitler's game, or any other dictators for that matter; that is why we should be totally open and not closed to other writer's criticism. Poets have died for what they felt they had to say. Lorca died with a bullet in him. They stormed Neruda's home with an army, the people stood with rakes and hammers and other farm tools between an army and his poems, as he lay dying in his home. The people of Chili weren't going to have it; they loved their poet. Ginsburg's Howl, which I never liked, changed the world alway behind the Iron Curtain and actually help people on the inside tear it down. This is the reality of what poetry is or can be. Poetry is not about petty differences; it's an inclusiveness; the celebration for all of life, from the smallest to the largest, from the weakest to the strongest, from the emptiest to the fullest, from the near to the far it is always inclusive and not exclusive.

Like I said: I'm in.

A poet friend
RH Peat.

06-28-2009 at 08:45:16 PM

I agree with studly's point about reading and revising. I revise my poems all the time. I also agree with the dude who said that if your work is written for you alone then you really have no reason to post it.

Having said those things I feel that something else needs to be said here:

If we are going to acknowledge that lackluster, banal, bullshit poems do indeed get posted here regularly, (which they do) I think we also need to acknowledge the inverse. There is also an abundance of bullshit criticism being thrown around here every single day. Many of the "critics" I read commenting upon people's work here sound like my freshman English professor: shallow, condescending and clueless. If a poet here writes in a particular style, and exemplifies a degree of stylistic continuity in their writing, then I think it is sort of pointless to criticize them upon the basis of their STYLE. There are some seriously developed voices here, and I always feel it is such a shame when I see them having to put up with moronic peanut gallery commentary posted by ignorant narcissists who are anything but qualified critics. The last thing any serious artist needs is some pedestrian hack spouting off at length about something they just don't understand. One time someone suggested that I change some lines in a poem in order to "hold the poem to the ground". A purse snatcher should be held to the ground, a poem should not. I think if we are going to encourage people to be adults about accepting reasonable criticism, we should also encourage people to be reasonable critics. Don't write a fucking ten page analytical essay about a work that you just don't like, or just plain don't "get".
My advice to people who don't appreciate a particular critical comment is this: Read the work of the critic before you get all upset and write defensive, hysterical responses. If you think the critic is a lousy poet whose work just sucks, don't let their criticism bother you. Just disregard it and try to concentrate on interacting with poets with whom you share some commonalities. Like any art, poetry is a broad and varied pursuit. Stylistic and categorical differences definitely exist among genres of poetry. A limerick writer is not the most qualified person to be writing a critique of an avant garde experimentalist, and vice versa, of course. Being conscious of this fact will certainly save us all some grief in the long run.

Just my two cents.

Adel.

06-28-2009 at 10:06:02 PM

Hey dudly111, I think stevie wonder could see your point: You are infinitely more intelligent than the poets whose work you criticize. Your status as an uber-successful published poet leaves you singularly qualified to inform the amateur poet public on matters of taking their work to "a higher level". Anyone who takes exception to your brilliant comments is making you out to be a Nazi. You alone have been to the mountain top, and we the rank laymen of the literary world are in serious error if we do not acknowledge your wisdom. We get it. No one really needs a blow-by-blow account of your ongoing struggle with the dumb people. I am going out on a limb here, but I do not think this thread was specifically intended to be about you.

06-28-2009 at 10:26:05 PM

I am excited to be a part of originalpoetry.com and to have access to a variety of poems. I agree with all of you. You all have great points. I must emphasize that as adults, we should use prudence. I am not here to tell you what to say or how to say it. I am simply suggesting to be cordial and thoughtful when you post a comment.

Some of us think of ourselves as critical perfectionist in poetry, for we insist that poets should combine sounds with meanings when writing poems. We sometimes, are also firm in our own view as to the extent of writing satire to satirize other poets.

For me, a person who lacks poetic sense, to fully understand and to appreciate a poem is always a big task. I did work hard joining a group discussion once, and I found that one could really do some great poetry if they really have to and does work on it.

It is often difficult for me to analyze those complicated rhythm, metaphors, similes, and imageries due to the large range of garbage posted. Also in some instances, it requires quite a lot of background information such as the emphases to really understand poems that people have shared. I can honestly say that if it catches my interest, I would do research before I post a comment without a foundation.

I think that we should all learn to criticize poets without really scolding them. Instead, we should use a witty implied way and could give such great examples, which the sound would fully correspond to the meaning within their poems.

Let us enjoy the gift of writing, reading and meeting a diverse group of individuals!

Erika Brown

06-29-2009 at 12:36:07 AM

Friends,

I would be glad to critique poems, but I have a bit of a problem. There are a lot of poems that I really can't connect with on this site. I do try, but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

My Grandma taught me that if you can't say something nice about somebody, you shouldn't say anything at all. I think that's a pretty good rule.

If I like something I'll say it. In fact, I'll scream it from the rooftops. If I don't see anything I can really connect with, well, it's better for me not to say anything at all. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's not good poetry. It's just that I might not be the right person to critique it.

So, lets start off this way. I like structured rhyming rhythmic poetry that carries a message. (or perhaps is descriptive and shows me something from a different vantage point). If you have any of that, send me a private message and I would be happy to read and critique it.

I also like free form poetry, and even write some myself. But I'm much more uncertain in this area. If it is going to be free form, I need to feel the rhythm at least, and of course the message, the emotion. If you have any of that, I'm the critic for you. Send me a private message and I'm all yours.

Other than that I will do my best to read and critique as much as I can. If I don't make a comment on your poem, the fault isn't necessarily yours. It's just that I'm probably not the worlds best critic.

gmcookie

06-29-2009 at 01:18:16 AM

My name is Dani . I stumbled upon this site in my spam mail on yahoo lol . I have written here since I signed up and I have come to enjoy this place. I like constructive criticism and I enjoy giving it . I will tell you now I do not write in meter . I do not write in form and alot of my poetry does not rhyme . I am a passionate poet. Ardent about life as well as my perception of it . I ask that when you read my poetry you keep these things in mind . Much love ~Dani~ cool hmm

Last edited by passionsdance 06-29-2009 at 01:20:11 AM

Poetry is either something that lives like fire inside you or else it is nothing, an empty formalized bore around which pedants can endlessly drone their notes and explanations.

Unknown Source