Original Poetry Forums

We 21st Century Poets!

08-31-2009 at 01:49:39 AM

We 21st Century Poets!

I've a somewhat strange question:

Who here, in general, began writing poetry around 2002 or after?

A handful may see where I'm going here, but I'll leave that alone for now. For the more solid yeses, I suspect that the stories why may be of a particular interest - and hopefully a good thread topic. I began in 2002.

Acascholastically,
Estario De Driftio
sick and then gulp

08-31-2009 at 06:23:10 PM

Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Hi Estario. I began writing poems in 2003, while trying to write a tango song. I had collected about three poems, two in English and two in Spanish, over the years. Three I picked up from fiction books that I had read. One, by Ruben Dario, was given to me in the 80's by a good friend that is no longer with us. I really didn't understand it then, but I do now. My first poem was in Spanish and had four or six words in two lines. It was tough, but I stll enjoy writing them. I have had positive responses to them so I will continue. I used to paint and now words have replaced the brush.

Grito

08-31-2009 at 11:17:13 PM

This thread title might have been a bit big-headed of me, lol, ah well!

Ty for the response, Grits! Dario, estario - bit weird! And sorry to hear about your friend.

My story might be a little strange. In 2001, some friends and I went to a nearby hillside at night to watch the Perseids meteor shower. I had never physically seen one until then. And there's nothing quite like being there, as opposed to seeing it on TV. There's of course an ambience along with it which cannot be included in recordings. Anyway, after that night, I subsequently, apparently, unbeknownst to myself really, fell in love with that hill. About one year after the meteor shower, I began going there alone at night - just to be there for a little while. And I knew it was dangerous. Soon after repeated visits, I decided to write my own spell, or white magic incantation, as an ode to the hill. It came out pretty good, it rhymed although otherwise it was free-verse, and there was nothing dark about it. It wasn't intended toward anything specifically. It was simply my literary intention to somehow commune with nature a little more. After that, and with some kind words from friends on the work, I noticed that it reminded me of poetry. So I then wrote a second, and a third. Then I noticed how much I liked writing, so I started researching poetry. And then, from say 2005 on, I began to do nothing but read and write. And now, still learning, experimenting, refining, etc. Overall, there were other significant factors, but this was generally how my writing came about over the past few years. It's a hobby, a therapy that I feel gifted to have found.

And thankyou very much again for sharing, Grito! God bless!

Hey, have we read each other's poetry...? I'm on it! And check out my latest - Abstract Blue.

Alphanumerically,
S~D

09-01-2009 at 04:55:04 PM

Ok Dario, ha ha, I'm game. Interesting story about the meteor shower, I tried to see it this year but the weather did't cooperate.

09-01-2009 at 08:00:29 PM

When I was fifteen years old, I was crazy in love with this most beautiful girl of one of God's creational gift giving times. I wrote a love letter to her in a Neanderthal likeness of a poem. I thought it would woo her off her twinkle toes. I gave it to my friend to give to her...I watched from afar as she read it, looked over at me, and then, slowly tore it up. It broke my heart. I guess that was the start of my poetic endeavour to write some things that would be liked by others...I'm still trying.

From this sick to hopefully this LOL

09-22-2009 at 06:52:01 PM

There must be other 21st. century poets, I wonder who?

09-22-2009 at 08:17:55 PM

If there are any 21st century poets that are even close to Poe, Frost, Longfellow, or any of these greats, I would be shocked............................. shock

09-26-2009 at 01:01:18 AM

Remember, the 21 st. century poets have 91 years to become famous in this century alone.

09-26-2009 at 01:54:27 AM

Has anyone ever even known a 21st century poet?

Maybe the 22nd century poets will be back up to snuff!

Quasiprosaically,
El Driftero De Stariario
Although sick, also markedly sick!

09-26-2009 at 10:03:58 AM

Well I began writing at about 2000. My mom still has my first poem in my baby album along with first report cards and perfect attendance records. She insists on keeping it even though it's awful. It's quite embarassing actually. oh oh
It's would be interesting though to go forward in time and see who the 21st century poets are going to be.

Last edited by KtIrish 09-26-2009 at 01:07:10 PM

09-26-2009 at 12:14:39 PM

Great! Ktirish has an excellent potential to be a great poet of this century, young and developing in the computer age. Maybe we should start helping, molding her to that end.

09-26-2009 at 01:10:25 PM

I'm very flattered. But everyone here has the potential. Its not just me. And i doubt i'd be one of the 21st century poets. I'd be happy if i could even publish any of my work. Interestingly enough, a lot of poets never saw their work published in their lifetime.

09-26-2009 at 03:57:41 PM

Keep in mind KtIrish, the great poets have already gone by. We will never see a genius as that of Browning, Emily and others like these. The same can be said of composers, such as Beethoven, Mozart and such...least we let ourselves forget what has gone before.

cool hmm

09-26-2009 at 05:15:07 PM

You are right. The classics can never be replaced. But a new generation can try to be great in their own way.

09-26-2009 at 07:21:21 PM

It is mere chance that decided when a great was born, or maybe it was fate. Nevertheless, each century is filled with greats, Albert Einstein comes to mind, Bill Gates in his way, The Beatles, Hemingway, Picasso, James Dean, Octavio Paz, to name a few. We are now at the height of human developement and achievement and the fruit has the potential to be, shall be the greatest of the greats. So come on Irish, you can be the first intergalactic sentient Earth organism to be favored to grace the universe and have the force be with you!

09-26-2009 at 07:58:08 PM

Grits, Kt, Go, whassaa..... (what's up)!

Pardon me while I go a spot philo! I don't think that we are ever at the height of human development. That immediately conjures the mental image of the blind leading the blind right into an abyss. I think that it's a false pitch that sells defunct technology. Because we all should know that any higher tech without heart is a cyanide prescription every single time. Any civilization that survives through their 'technology fetish' would, in my theoretical estimations, agree that, in and of itself, tech is a closed loop, redundant circuitry, no pun. If anything, we've been devolving for at least the past thousand years. The arts are always the last bastion of true hearts.

Phylosoficully,
Ess Dee
shut eye

09-26-2009 at 09:41:30 PM

True Dario.
Let us not be tarried by the quise of science because, aside from technology, humanity is at the height of political correctness, the world in height of democracy, environmental counciousness, art has a myriad subdivisions, travel is in days, not months or years as in time ago, and the spirit of the populace is in immediate communication, a phone call away, no letter that the post misplaced, a video as Dick Tracey's past, all person to person contact, the wide wide world is now so compact mentally, a thimble we circumvent, Manhattan is the world's true plaza, where we may have all met, and from all parts of this our world, a neighborhood of poets here I bet, all citizens in a world point of view. What once took decades to grasp is now a minute in a second grade class.
It is all a mater of perspective, we are only limited by what we allow ourselves to imagine, riding fast in that Z06 corvette.

09-26-2009 at 10:07:40 PM

Stardrift and Grit, you two are getting in too deep with your philosophies. It is a simple matter to ingest...not a bitter pill to swallow. The end of times is near, so if there are to be any a poet to step into the light of any of the great poets and be able to cast their own imortaldom, then they better get hoofin'.....................

mad or perhaps smile

09-26-2009 at 10:14:42 PM

"On a horse of furious fancies,
whereof I am commander
to the wilderness I wander.
Ten leagues beyond the wide world's end,
methinks it is no journey."

Tom A-Bedlam

09-26-2009 at 10:39:38 PM

WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT !!!!!

shock shock

09-26-2009 at 10:40:14 PM

I guess we'll agree to disagree then, lol! I thought we had similar enough viewpoints.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with this alleged apex. I can sum up my sentiments in one long run-on sentence: I could care less about talking to a multilingual cyborg chimpanzee on Mars from my auto-pilot Mercedes when there's polar bears drowning, cats being slaughtered, wolves being erradicated, dolphins being murdered, otters being clubbed, whales being hunted, etc. Is it all a matter of perspective, or rationale? Our resources are completely misallocated. At the minimum, you're at least better off taking things like the internet and cell phones for granted than you are to praise all the ingredients of society that brought them to fruition. Technology is one result of stifled environmentalism, and political correctness is an oxymoronic antonym to genuine correctness. And then there's the Middle East.

What did you mean with the Manhattan bit?

Perplexedly,
Stra Dirft
hmmm

09-26-2009 at 10:44:49 PM

Uh oh, somebody's prescription ran out!

grrr

09-26-2009 at 11:12:23 PM

May the future decide, it has no blinders.

09-26-2009 at 11:39:11 PM

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
When society needs her artists, we shall be here.
Now why don't y'all chillax with the philosophies, this is all in good fun remember?

09-26-2009 at 11:44:30 PM

More, more, more horsie verse!

Grits, that is an empty, circular, standard political reply to be sure. The present is falsely defined as ever waiting on some farce of a future. Since the present has blinders, I'd love to know when exactly the future loses its blinders. If you've any heart remaining, I suggest you begin salvaging it NOW brother - not next year!

Seriously, any more of that leftfield horsie ditty? Now let's see, two and two together here: A Judgement Day innuendo, as coupled with, something reminiscent of the four horsemen for a poem.

What's going on, Grits? I'm an excellent listener brother. cool smile

Peace, Light and Love,
Stardrifted
cool smile

Poetry is finer and more philosophical than history; for poetry expresses the universal, and history only the particular.

Aristotle (384 BC-322 BC) Greek philosopher.