Original Poetry Forums

We 21st Century Poets!

10-12-2009 at 11:07:49 PM

Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Lol, that's kinda funny.
Anyway, are we off topic again?
I just wanted to put in my opinion about cyberspace and it's affect on writing.
The way I see it, the written word can now travel quickly and freely to more readers.
But a growing population of people care more about the internet then actually putting pen to paper, or reading a book.
When was the last time someone took time to write a letter instead of tapping out an impersonal text?
Do I make sense or am I off topic??
oh oh question

10-13-2009 at 03:34:22 AM

Gog, I fully expected a funny comeback! Instead, a fellow poet threatens me? Not cool brother. Humor, poetry and philosophy seem to be becoming strange issues on this site. If this thread is any indication, there won't be any 21st century poets.

I for one totally agree with you Kt, something is lost when a pen isn't used. The mechanical act of writing is such a natural and ancient thing. And with epigenetics not having included computers a century ago, we might be at an interesting juncture. I think that technology is an easy sell - as long as its malfunction statistics are either fudged or hidden. Kt, do you write in notebooks or MSWord? I'm sure you've heard the horror stories of lost data. Lost to where exactly, is always my question.

Solar light,
Drift Starer
cool smile

10-13-2009 at 05:49:08 AM

Re: Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardrift

This thread title might have been a bit big-headed of me, lol, ah well!

Ty for the response, Grits! Dario, estario - bit weird! And sorry to hear about your friend.

My story might be a little strange. In 2001, some friends and I went to a nearby hillside at night to watch the Perseids meteor shower. I had never physically seen one until then. And there's nothing quite like being there, as opposed to seeing it on TV. There's of course an ambience along with it which cannot be included in recordings. Anyway, after that night, I subsequently, apparently, unbeknownst to myself really, fell in love with that hill. About one year after the meteor shower, I began going there alone at night - just to be there for a little while. And I knew it was dangerous. Soon after repeated visits, I decided to write my own spell, or white magic incantation, as an ode to the hill. It came out pretty good, it rhymed although otherwise it was free-verse, and there was nothing dark about it. It wasn't intended toward anything specifically. It was simply my literary intention to somehow commune with nature a little more. After that, and with some kind words from friends on the work, I noticed that it reminded me of poetry. So I then wrote a second, and a third. Then I noticed how much I liked writing, so I started researching poetry. And then, from say 2005 on, I began to do nothing but read and write. And now, still learning, experimenting, refining, etc. Overall, there were other significant factors, but this was generally how my writing came about over the past few years. It's a hobby, a therapy that I feel gifted to have found.

And thankyou very much again for sharing, Grito! God bless!

Hey, have we read each other's poetry...? I'm on it! And check out my latest - Abstract Blue.

Alphanumerically,
S~D

A VERY IMPRESSIVE TESTIMONY , Stardrift. Was this meteor experience that inspired your pen-name? I love your story. Your poetry will be a "must read" to me.

10-13-2009 at 05:52:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtIrish

Lol, that's kinda funny.
The way I see it, the written word can now travel quickly and freely to more readers.
But a growing population of people care more about the internet then actually putting pen to paper, or reading a book.
When was the last time someone took time to write a letter instead of tapping out an impersonal text?
oh oh question

YOU ARE SO RIGHT. KtIrish! READING BOOKS IS LOSING OUT. AND I AM GRAVELY CONCERNED ,SINCE I BEGAN WRITING NOVELS AT 70 YEARS OF AGE. I HAVE ALREADY PUBLISHED TWO NOVELS. THERE ARE OTHERS IN THE PIPELINE. WHO WILL BOTHER TO READ THEM , WHEN CYBERSPAACE IS SO CONVENIENT AND LESS EXPENSIVE?

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-13-2009 at 05:57:27 AM

10-13-2009 at 06:12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

Hi Estario. I began writing poems in 2003, while trying to write a tango song. I had collected about three poems, two in English and two in Spanish, over the years. Three I picked up from fiction books that I had read. One, by Ruben Dario, was given to me in the 80's by a good friend that is no longer with us. I really didn't understand it then, but I do now. My first poem was in Spanish and had four or six words in two lines. It was tough, but I stll enjoy writing them. I have had positive responses to them so I will continue. I used to paint and now words have replaced the brush.

Grito

I FIND YOUR TESTIMONY VERY INTERESTING, GRITO. I TOO PUT AWAY MY BRUSH AND STARTED WRITING SOMeTIME IN THE 1980's NOT ABLE TO SAY WHAT CAUSED AN ENEXPLICABLE tRANSFORMATION. I CEASED WRITING FOR YEARS AND YEARS,THEN SUDDENLY WAS STRUCK BY THE URGE TO WRITE AT AGE 70! I HAVE PUBLISHED TWO NOVELS. NEXT YEAR, I PLAN TO PUBLISH A BOOK OF MY POETRY. I MAY ASK YOUR KIND PERMISSIO TO TUCK IN A POEM OR TWO OF YOURS ...................lol

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-13-2009 at 06:13:47 AM

10-13-2009 at 09:46:43 AM

I agree completely with you guys, Star and Cousin.
I ALWAYS have my poems written down in my notebook.
I had a whole bunch of poetry a few years ago and my computer had a violent death and I lost everything.
Plus i always back up my disc on a flashdrive.
I like the act of writing on paper better than I like typing.
The feeling of pen on paper is fulfilling to me.

10-13-2009 at 12:06:47 PM

Ok, I'm in, lol
I write where on what I can, all the time.
I collect mine in a book journal, I have 8, (850 poems)
the are all dated, like 15 October, 1987.
I love completeing one to the best of my ability, then I write them in the journal.
And move to the next step, digital, and save to disc, and copyright.
Then I move to my website, then I pick what ones I want to add to the public.
So, but the vast tool of the net is amazing, so we have a great tool.
imagine writing letters to all your friends, and publishers, like the old days.
Cramping thought, maybe, so the elders of poetry, kicked alot off ass when they where
alive, and thriving.
So we have a great tool, in the 21st century, so use it wisely.
Peace

John E WordSlinger

Note to add,
There is no returns on your gift.

The gift of creating poetry.
Enrich your gift.....

Last edited by WordSlinger 10-13-2009 at 12:17:51 PM

10-13-2009 at 12:22:10 PM

Hey, thanks Cousinsoren! Actually, no, I didn't intend the name to associate that experience - must've done it subconsciously - hadn't even noticed, lol!

I'll read some of yours as well. Ty again.

Light,
Estar Edrift

10-13-2009 at 12:48:54 PM

i write on whatever's handy ... and then, yeah, Word, i can relate ... transfer from "scrap of paper" to "handwritten journal" to typed "blog" to "email/post" to "chap book" ... with refinements along the way ... i'm sure many share that process ... but i almost never start with the keyboard. doesn't inspire the way a pencil/pen does ... i think you're right, Stardrift, that the epigenome has been formulated for this ancient act of writing ... perhaps before and after your meteor shower smile

and as for books ... the book will live on, in paper form, if for no other reason than ... the act of taking the book off the shelf and flipping through it and enjoying ... without distractions ... cousinsoren, i hope you know, books are changed forever, but still treasured ... we're working out this whole digital transition, but it's not the first revolution in publishing and distribution ... perhaps our expectations have simply ballooned to envelop the whole world as audience ... when really, all it takes is two people around the campfire, telling stories ... and the stories will live on ...

10-13-2009 at 04:24:08 PM

Drifter, you wrote:
Gog, I fully expected a funny comeback! Instead, a fellow poet threatens me? Not cool brother. Humor, poetry and philosophy seem to be becoming strange issues on this site. If this thread is any indication, there won't be any 21st century poets.

What I came back with was funny, I thought...no animosity intended. It was all in jest my friend.

blank stare blank stare downer long face

10-13-2009 at 05:07:01 PM

I used to write with pen and paper but I write alot and ended up with a mountain of materials that was in no order and a headache to retrieve and review. I wrote fifty poems to the art of a French artist friend that was published in a book and the computer helped tremendously. I think that books are art and I used to collect many until life interrupted my large collection. I learned that writing on the computer makes it much easier to write, edit, correct, catalogue, mail and amend and the tools (font, size, color, pictures, music, centering etc.) are invaluable and I don't waste any paper. I save it all on a yahoo page and e-mail them to friends.so it will not get lost. If there is a constant in history it is that there will always be change.
I am going to read some of your poems Cousin. I am intrigued by what you wrote about your writing history.

10-13-2009 at 06:10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

If there are any 21st century poets that are even close to Poe, Frost, Longfellow, or any of these greats, I would be shocked............................. shock

I guess I am a "21st century poet" as I began writng around 2003 in 5th grade. However, many here have deemed me an "old soul", and I believe I am more akin to those poets who started work no later than the mid-to-late-1950's.

In my work, I believe it is no secret that I am strongly influenced by Shakespeare, Longfellow, Poe, YEATS, Dylan, Lennon/McCartney, P. Simon... and thusly it is there style that is more reflected than anything new, shocking, or "modern".

I believe I bring nothing new to the table here, but only an someone very young who digs up old stuff people may have moved past in their efforts to appear modern.

Last edited by BDIsernhagen 10-13-2009 at 06:17:37 PM

10-13-2009 at 07:10:53 PM

Quote:

True Dario.
Let us not be tarried by the quise of science because, aside from technology, humanity is at the height of political correctness, the world in height of democracy, environmental counciousness, art has a myriad subdivisions, travel is in days, not months or years as in time ago, and the spirit of the populace is in immediate communication, a phone call away, no letter that the post misplaced, a video as Dick Tracey's past, all person to person contact, the wide wide world is now so compact mentally, a thimble we circumvent, Manhattan is the world's true plaza, where we may have all met, and from all parts of this our world, a neighborhood of poets here I bet, all citizens in a world point of view. What once took decades to grasp is now a minute in a second grade class.
It is all a mater of perspective, we are only limited by what we allow ourselves to imagine, riding fast in that Z06 corvette.

LOL! LOL! LOL! You took a long time saying a mouthful....................lol! We are now prospecting the moon for water Seems to me the wealthy want to leave earth!

When I consider thy heavens , the works of thy fingers,

the moon, and the stars which thou hast ordained,

What is man , that thou art mindful of him?

And the son of man that thou visiteth him?

For thou hast made him a little lower than the sngels."

If Man was made .................................................just a little lower than the lesser gods, my brother, then
technology, along with art , philosophy , religion and science, is to man as a plastic soother is to an infant's gums. We must first drink milk before we can eat solid food, St Paul wrote to the Cointhians. When will we be able to eat solid food ? In our lifetime? In some other time?

F

Y

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-13-2009 at 07:40:53 PM

10-13-2009 at 07:21:27 PM

Quote:

I agree completely with you guys, Star and Cousin.
I ALWAYS have my poems written down in my notebook.
I had a whole bunch of poetry a few years ago and my computer had a violent death and I lost everything.
Plus i always back up my disc on a flashdrive.
I like the act of writing on paper better than I like typing.
The feeling of pen on paper is fulfilling to me.

It's most amusing , as well as gratifying to know that there are some modern folks who are very "old -fashioned". Like me they write with pen and paper....................lol.

But, of course there is a different sort of feeling that you don't get from your computer.

10-13-2009 at 07:21:58 PM

That is a magnificent point of view Cousin! Lets us all be blessed to eat solid food in some other time, some other lifetime, and be permitted to imagine what that might be like, today. For if the fruit of music is in my heart, then let the Alpha and the Omega show me the way.

10-13-2009 at 07:28:55 PM

Quote:

I guess we'll agree to disagree then, lol! I thought we had similar enough viewpoints.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with this alleged apex. I can sum up my sentiments in one long run-on sentence: I could care less about talking to a multilingual cyborg chimpanzee on Mars from my auto-pilot Mercedes when there's polar bears drowning, cats being slaughtered, wolves being erradicated, dolphins being murdered, otters being clubbed, whales being hunted, etc. Is it all a matter of perspective, or rationale? Our resources are completely misallocated. At the minimum, you're at least better off taking things like the internet and cell phones for granted than you are to praise all the ingredients of society that brought them to fruition. Technology is one result of stifled environmentalism, and political correctness is an oxymoronic antonym to genuine correctness. And then there's the Middle East.

What did you mean with the Manhattan bit?

Perplexedly,
Stra Dirft
WOW! I LOVE THIS SHOWER OF UNRIGHTEOUS WRATH AND RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION!
Put an ice -pack or wet towel on my head...... lol
hmmm

10-13-2009 at 07:33:01 PM

Quote:

That is a magnificent point of view Cousin! Lets us all be blessed to eat solid food in some other time, some other lifetime, and be permitted to imagine what that might be like, today. For if the fruit of music is in my heart, then let the Alpha and the Omega show me the way.

YOU GOT MY DRIFT , GRITO, AND YOU SPEAK WELL "The action word is LOVE."

10-13-2009 at 07:49:41 PM
  • faithwalkfarm
  • faithwalkfarm

Cousinsoren, Are you familiar with Tom Fettke's "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name?"

As I read your posts, I was reminded of this incredible song....He took the words of King David's Psalm 8 and put them to music.

Peace and love,

Faith

10-13-2009 at 08:05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

Stardrift and Grit, you two are getting in too deep with your philosophies. It is a simple matter to ingest...not a bitter pill to swallow. The end of times is near, so if there are to be any a poet to step into the light of any of the great poets and be able to cast their own imortaldom, then they better get hoofin'.....................

mad or perhaps smile

The older I get , the more I am convincd that to proclaim a 21st Century Poet will be as pretentious as the crowning of a Miss World, to represent, by her looka and her brain, White, Indian, Negro , Chinese ,etc. etc.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,etc

10-13-2009 at 08:08:05 PM

Quote:

Hey, thanks Cousinsoren! Actually, no, I didn't intend the name to associate that experience - must've done it subconsciously - hadn't even noticed, lol!

I'll read some of yours as well. Ty again.

Light,
Estar Edrift

Hi, Stardrift. I GOT YOUR DRIFT...........................lol. Do read me . Thanks.

10-13-2009 at 08:42:30 PM

To Gogant and Grito: Apparently I suck in this forum, lol! I meant no offense whatsoever to either of you. I believe this might be due to the fact that inflection and tonality are lost in text and prose - unlike within the context of poetry.

And to one cousinsoren, I read you and will now go read you!

Peace and loud music,
Stardriftism
cool smile

10-13-2009 at 09:18:43 PM

Quote:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
When society needs her artists, we shall be here.
Now why don't y'all chillax with the philosophies, this is all in good fun remember?

Hey! Hey! We been enjpying the good fun,
There's nothing more delectable , I think
Than a salacious dish of polemics .
And after the tasting and chewing ,
Let dull disaffection be satisfied.

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-18-2009 at 02:37:09 AM

10-13-2009 at 09:30:26 PM

Quote:

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
When society needs her artists, we shall be here.
Now why don't y'all chillax with the philosophies, this is all in good fun remember?

10-13-2009 at 09:39:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithwalkfarm

Cousinsoren, Are you familiar with Tom Fettke's "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name?"

As I read your posts, I was reminded of this incredible song....He took the words of King David's Psalm 8 and put them to music.

Peace and love,

Faith

No, Faith,
I have heard of it, but have not had the privilege . I'd love to. But most of the Psalms are extremely profound in reflection and introspection. Selah! Amen!

10-13-2009 at 09:41:09 PM

Quote:

Lol, that's kinda funny.
oh oh question

Irish, Read my poem entitled "A BOOK"

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-18-2009 at 02:25:02 AM

Poetry is what is lost in translation.

Robert Frost (1875-1963) American Poet.