Original Poetry Forums

We 21st Century Poets!

10-20-2009 at 05:46:55 PM

Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Words, I think we all agree that it is the influence and inspiration of the old masters that allows creativity and exploration in writing.

10-20-2009 at 07:20:31 PM

What a beautiful birthday you've shared with us, Grito! TY for you generosity javascript:void(0);
and congrats on your 6th decade! grin

i like being influenced by the new masters ... forging their destinies as we speak ... old masters have their place as a foundation ... and maybe some rainy afternoons ... ok, and some sunny mornings in the garden ... certain timeless bits to learn ... but if the world isn't expressed in new words today, how will folks know how we lived?

if history is written by the victors ... poets are among the victorious ...

LUV!

-dh

10-20-2009 at 07:35:44 PM

Ah, gogant,
May the world remember what day of the week for many more days to come. May the world always have time to share. May the world never continue to be endangered like WILD RIVER. May the world always have fun. =====

Ah, cousin, now you're making fun of me...the day of the week is today, but 2 days ago it was last week...now, Tuesday won't be today next week, but it will still be sometime the week after the first weekend in July...I think................................................g

LOL cheese grin smile kiss

10-21-2009 at 12:47:57 AM

Re: Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grito

Thank you for singing happy birthday to me Cousin, I appreciate your effort. Please excuse my oversight as I am inviting everyone here to a celebrate my BD here with unlimited Dom Perignon champagne and caviar (carbonated cider and vegetables as an option) in your choice of crystal or 24 carat gold long stemmed glasses, because I spare no expense for my friends! The Metropolitan Orchestra of New York will be taking requests and we will luxuriate in the view from the top of the Empire State building. Billie Holiday will help me blow out the 60 candles in this, my sixth, decade. Everyone will board the space shuttle to enjoy angel food cake and Kalua licor on a red beach on Mars so we can watch Earth's morning rise on the horizon while the moon hugs her to the sweet and sour melodies of Carlos Gardel singing tango songs.

After the festivities we will parachute down to Earth like angels with wings with the help of Saint Michael accompanied by a shower of white eagle feathers and a lyre of compassion, and we will all live happy and forever in the land of the midnight sun.

Well, maybe not Mars...Venus may be better.

GOOD,LORD GRIFO, CELEBRATE YOUR NEXT BD ON VENUS! I HEAR THAT THE GIRLS THERE ARE..........AH-AH-AH-HA. .... HMMM! MEN WHEN THEY ARRIVE ARE OFFERED A DRINK LABELLED "Lotus and Coitus" AND SIX DECADES ARE LIKE A MOMENT GONE. THEY DRINK AND FORGET THAT THEY ARE ,,,AH-AH-MMM!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO LONGER YOUNG. REMEMBER TO INVITE BadBad Bear. He has lately been writing poetry.

10-21-2009 at 01:11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinghawk

What a beautiful birthday you've shared with us, Grito! TY for you generosity javascript:void(0);
and congrats on your 6th decade! grin

i like being influenced by the new masters ... forging their destinies as we speak ... old masters have their place as a foundation ... and maybe some rainy afternoons ... ok, and some sunny mornings in the garden ... certain timeless bits to learn ... but if the world isn't expressed in new words today, how will folks know how we lived?

if history is written by the victors ... poets are among the victorious ...

LUV!

-dh

THE TRUE POET IS A TIMELESS DENOMINATOR. HE UNDERLINES THE HOLISM OF ALL NATURE FROM AGE TO AGE . HIS FACTOR DENOTES THERE IS NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN. HIS VINCULUM IS HIS PEN WHICH JOINS THE GREAT DIVIDE.

10-21-2009 at 01:15:09 AM

Good Morning OP,Friends and friends

I have posted 2 new ones,
one I think you will like alot...

WS

10-21-2009 at 01:23:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogant

Ah, gogant,
May the world remember what day of the week for many more days to come. May the world always have time to share. May the world never continue to be endangered like WILD RIVER. May the world always have fun. =====

Ah, cousin, now you're making fun of me...the day of the week is today, but 2 days ago it was last week...now, Tuesday won't be today next week, but it will still be sometime the week after the first weekend in July...I think................................................g

LOL cheese grin smile

How oft' we go backward in time ,
To find in present where we are ,
But for the scrolls of after thought,
We must the dust of past retrace .
To pare our nose to fit our face...................................

Gogant ,what was the time,this time last year? .....Can you write the three final lines of this stanza? I didn't know that you ought to know? .........................lol

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-21-2009 at 01:33:34 AM

10-21-2009 at 01:57:22 AM

Quote:

Ah, gogant,

LOL cheese grin smile

WHY JULY? WHY NOT IN MARCH ? THE PROBLM IS WE SHALL HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE, AND HOW WILL WE KNOW WHEN WE SEE IT? confused

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-21-2009 at 01:58:04 AM

10-21-2009 at 01:59:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordSlinger

Good Morning OP,Friends and friends

I have posted 2 new ones,
one I think you will like alot...

WS

WORD, I GO TO LOOK.

10-21-2009 at 02:01:38 AM

Quote:

Ah, gogant,

LOL cheese grin smile quote]

10-21-2009 at 04:55:24 PM

Thank you for your HB Dancinghawk! I agree, the masters are our springboard to the future.

Cousin, I'll have to check Venus out for sure, and you are right, 60 years is but a puff of wind.

Gogant, you are winding your way out through the time caverns in a very interesting way. You may want to write on it!

10-21-2009 at 05:37:44 PM

Cousinoren posted:
Gogant ,what was the time,this time last year? .....Can you write the three final lines of this stanza? I didn't know that you ought to know?

Well cousin, I'm sure it is a year later....now I ought to know, I was there. cool smile

And thanks to you, grits...
How's this............................................gogant tongue wink

To pare our nose to fit our face
We must commit to self-disgrace
Longing for knowledge in past
Mistakes made, so as not to trust
That what has yet to dim with rust.

10-21-2009 at 08:44:26 PM

Quote:

Cousinoren posted:
Gogant ,what was the time,this time last year? .....Can you write the three final lines of this stanza? I didn't know that you ought to know?

Well cousin, I'm sure it is a year later....now I ought to know, I was there. cool smile

And thanks to you, grits...
How's this............................................gogant tongue wink

To pare our nose to fit our face
We must commit to self-disgrace
Longing for knowledge in past
Mistakes made, so as not to trust
That what has yet to dim with rust.

**********************************************************************''

COOL ! VERY COOL , GOGANT! YOU HAVE STAMINA, WHICH SOME ONE CALLED "STICKITIVENESS". I can't rccall which Jamaican coined or conned the term.
But we cant derail you from your perfect four-feet verse, the tetrameter. You keep your eye and finger firmly on that......................................lol.
I love your three lines , "Longing for knowledge in past / miatakes made,' , is a beautiul analysis of human nature and aspirations.

I am impressed that you seem to know your bearings , at all times , within a week or a month or a year. Without batting your eye, without a wink, acording to Grito, you are "winding your way through the cavern" very well.............................lol

DRINK A TOAST TO YOURSELF! LOL grin

10-21-2009 at 11:10:30 PM

Ah shucks, cousin, you are too kind with your words...especially, in your word..."STICKITIVENESS".
I had to make it 4 lines, instead of 3, because I needed it for the ending.

I don't know if you read any of marsink's stuff, but if not, you should check some of his out.

And what the heck is a tetrameter ? Keep in mind, I never was good at literature in high school.

oh oh

10-22-2009 at 12:05:07 AM

Quote:

Ah shucks, cousin, you are too kind with your words...especially, in your word..."STICKITIVENESS".

I don't know if you read any of marsink's stuff, but if not, you should check some of his out.

And what the heck is a tetrameter ? Keep in mind, I never was good at literature in high school.

oh oh

ON A SERIOUS NOTE , GOGANT, ON OP, AND ELSEWHERE , YOU ARE THE MOST NATURAL ARTIST, i HAVE EVER SEEN, AS AN EXPONENT OF THE TETRAMETER VERSE.
IT IS SIMPLY-----NOT SO SIMPLE AS IT MAY APPEAR-- A LINE THAT CONTAINS EIGHT SYLLABLES OR FOUR FEET.

A FEET CONTAINS TWO SYLLABLES , USUALLY A SYLLABLE THAT HAS A STRONG STRESS, IS FOLLOWED BY A SYLALBLE WITH A WEAK STRESS,

I FIND IT AMAZING THAT YOU REGULARLY AND FAULTLESSLY WRITE YOUR POETRY IN THIS MANNER. You are a natural. I hope to write an appreciation of your exquisite poetry , one of these days. I notice , however, that it may be a wasted effort, as very few poets on OP are curious to read anything that requires some effort and much concentration. They avoid reading like the plaque.

Last edited by cousinsoren 10-22-2009 at 01:04:56 AM

10-22-2009 at 12:06:57 AM

Quote:

oh oh

I shall bear in mind to read some Marsink's work. Thanks for the hint.

10-22-2009 at 12:06:57 AM

Quote:

oh oh

I shall bear in mind to read some Marsink's work. Thanks for the hint.

10-22-2009 at 02:37:04 PM

Save The Poetry Foundation For Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtIrish

Ugh. My school has poetry as an elective english class, but now the board is cutting it from the curriculum because they don't have money to buy the books.
I hate money and politics.
blank stare shut eye angry

We Need To Start A Save The Poetry Foundation For Schools, like VH1 has done for Music.
The History Channel avenue is a good plact to start..

http://boards.history.com/topic/New-Series/New-Episodes/800027505

WS

Last edited by WordSlinger 10-22-2009 at 02:43:15 PM

10-26-2009 at 04:59:08 PM

Gogant, GOGANT!!! Congratulations!!!! We have a WINNER!! Our very own G has won the weekly Poet Prize here!! I guess there is that silver lining for losing Faith!! A round of applause!!

10-26-2009 at 11:11:20 PM

Quote:

Gogant, GOGANT!!! Congratulations!!!! We have a WINNER!! Our very own G has won the weekly Poet Prize here!! I guess there is that silver lining for losing Faith!! A round of applause!!

GOOD THING YOU DIDN'T LOSE FAITH, GOGANT! ........................ LOL

YOU HAVE DONE US PROUD. CONGRATULATONS!!

10-26-2009 at 11:11:20 PM

Quote:

10-27-2009 at 01:06:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: We 21st Century Poets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsoren

Thanks guys....now wait until you win, and win again...........................................g shock
And there is always hope, and Faith to see us through... cheese

10-27-2009 at 05:16:14 PM

All good things are worth striving for.

10-27-2009 at 05:25:22 PM

Quote:

All good things are worth striving for.

Grito , there is a beautiful text from Holy Scrptures...........Isaiah40:31. that speaks to what you are saying here.

10-27-2009 at 05:32:40 PM

Isaiah 40:31 (King James Version)

31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Thanks Cousin!

If I feel physically as if the top of my head were taken off, I know that is poetry.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886) American poet.